Neymar joins PSG on a five year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
if he was likely to emulate messi or ronaldo then this transfer could make sense but are people convinced he's got that much more to his game? he is undoubtedtly gifted but im not convinced there is much more to come.

and the flip side of stepping out of the shadow of messi is that all the attention that was directed at stopping him play (and suarez) now gets pointed directly at neymar.
Thats not gonna do much in the French League. He will score in his sleep in that league.

Varun

Staff
To be fair if you had told me that Neymar is going to move this summer, PSG would have been one of my first guesses. Still I expected a lot more hoopla around the transfer. Assuming all of this is true of course.

A bit of holy feck moment in all honesty as much as whatever you mention is true.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. No matter how often one sees such links over the years or how much one gets the reasons behind such a move, it still comes as a shock to see a Neymar move clubs.

0161_UNITED

He's still immensely overrated. A classic example of a player whose brand is brighter than his performances.
Agreed, but if there's any truth to this with the sheer magnitude of the money involved, football as we know it has fundamentally changed.

edcunited1878

So then Barca signs who exactly? Mbappe? Surely they are targeting someone to take Neymar's starting XI position. Coutinho? Alli?

Eddy_JukeZ

He's still immensely overrated. A classic example of a player whose brand is brighter than his performances.
Overrated how? No one is calling him the world's best player.

You can't judge Neymar through his numbers when he offers so much more than that.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Let's say Neymar to PSG does happen, will it set off a frenzy of transfers as Barca look to replace him and strengthen other positions, which in turn will lead to other clubs needed to fill slots, would really make the last month or so of the window very interesting. Or am I over-thinking this?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Overrated how? No one is calling him the world's best player.

You can't judge Neymar through his numbers when he offers so much more than that.
In terms of his price to goals ratio. He'll do well in the French league, but the price is beyond ridiculous and he will always be judged by it.

OneUnited24

Feel that PSG are probably getting payback. Showing Barca how they can also unsettle players

Eddy_JukeZ

In terms of his price to goals ratio. He'll do well in the French league, but the price is beyond ridiculous and he will always be judged by it.
Oh that. I suppose that's fair.

He did score 39 goals in 2014-2015. Think he could approach those numbers again, but the price will always demand more goals.

ovoxo

Let's say Neymar to PSG does happen, will it set off a frenzy of transfers as Barca look to replace him and strengthen other positions, which in turn will lead to other clubs needed to fill slots, would really make the last month or so of the window very interesting. Or am I over-thinking this?
I think they'll move for Dembele if Neymar leaves.

Toad

Just logged in from work, so can't access any twitter related posts.
Can somebody update me on who has claimed PSG have an agreement?

It's an obscene amount of money, surely there has got to be some knock on effect of spending this much money on one players. The amount clubs are now spending will eventually ruin football one way or another. Nobody will be able to compete with certain clubs and every league will end up like the Scottish league

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Just logged in from work, so can't access any twitter related posts.
Can somebody update me on who has claimed PSG have an agreement?

It's an obscene amount of money, surely there has got to be some knock on effect of spending this much money on one players. The amount clubs are now spending will eventually ruin football one way or another. Nobody will be able to compete with certain clubs and every league will end up like the Scottish league
I fear we're approaching some kind of bust situation. It can't be good when cannon fodder will end up costing £60 million.

Dazzmondo

if he was likely to emulate messi or ronaldo then this transfer could make sense but are people convinced he's got that much more to his game? he is undoubtedtly gifted but im not convinced there is much more to come.

and the flip side of stepping out of the shadow of messi is that all the attention that was directed at stopping him play (and suarez) now gets pointed directly at neymar.
Compare the Brazil team with Neymar in it and without him in it and you'll see just how talented he is and what an impact he makes. He's well on his way to reaching a similar level imo (which frankly is insane as it is, not many players can claim to have been at a similar level to Messi and Ronaldo in the last 10-15 years. Maybe Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, and Zidane reached a similar level?)

RDCR07

Oh that. I suppose that's fair.

He did score 39 goals in 2014-2015. Think he could approach those numbers again, but the price will always demand more goals.
But what his release clause is isnt a barring on his performance. Again this isnt a negotiated fee. PSG are crazy enough to pay the release clause, which has got nothing to do with the player's performance. Its the clubs' random number to deter other clubs from bidding on their player.

el3mel

Still doesn't make any sense tbh.

If it happens then feck me, it's gonna be the transfer of the century.

Blind

Barca should have put in a release clause of €400m to avoid something like this happening. This is a proper set back for them if he does leave, with the whole team aging he was their shining light in more than a few embarrassing performances last season and there's simply no one out there who could replicate his levels with Messi still being the main focus of the attack.

0161_UNITED

Barca should have put in a release clause of €400m to avoid something like this happening. This is a proper set back for them if he does leave, with the whole team aging he was their shining light in more than a few embarrassing performances last season and there's simply no one out there who could replicate his levels with Messi still being the main focus of the attack.
Proper setback? Barca supporters should be dancing in the streets if there's any credence to this.

Eddy_JukeZ

I do agree.

Even though the money is enormous, I don't think it'd be so easy to re-invest in the team. It's not easy getting high class players nowadays.

Verratti won't be sold(especially if Neymar were to arrive).

Then for their other targets, the clubs know Barcelona have a boatload of cash now available to use. They'd demand even more money than the value of the player.

Honestly, they're in a tight spot. Hard to see how they improve next season.

RDCR07

They can do a LOT with the 200m they are getting though.

izec

They can do a LOT with the 200m they are getting though.
Not really. They would lose a genuine world class player and couldnt get one in. Most of the top clubs with top players wont sell, and the one that will sell a very good player will demand huge sums

0161_UNITED

Lol, they might dance for a little while until they end up losing the league to Real again
They lost to Real this year, and they can do it next season with 220 million Euros in their pocket and possibly without having to renegotiate a contract every six months to keep pace with Messi and Ronaldo. I'd take that.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Stop hyping this.
It's every time the same. At the end it will not happen.

Dazzmondo

They lost to Real this year, and they can do it next season with 220 million Euros in their pocket and possibly without having to renegotiate a contract every six months to keep pace with Messi and Ronaldo. I'd take that.
My impression has been that Barcelona fans' ambitions have been a little higher than finishing 2nd for the next 5 years. This isn't even considering what's going to happen to their club once Messi and Suarez retire. They'd best find the next superstar pretty soon because it won't be easy replacing 3 of the 5 best players in the world

cyberman

This is career suicide from Neymar. What was his goal tally last season? 13? Do that again and see what happens. He'll become a facebook player, nobody watches that league so his goals and skills will pop up on those LadBible pages and be forgotten about 10 minutes later.
Hes been at Barca for 4 years yet has only really had 1 standout CL campaign, why should he suddenly step up a level by moving to a lesser side?
This is madness. Hes too big for that league so he'll do what he wants.
My prediction is he will lose his hunger and be a shadow of what he could be by 28.

0161_UNITED

My impression has been that Barcelona fans' ambitions have been a little higher than finishing 2nd for the next 5 years. This isn't even considering what's going to happen to their club once Messi and Suarez retire. They'd best find the next superstar pretty soon because it won't be easy replacing 3 of the 5 best players in the world
I'll let a Barca fan answer then. I support United ;)

Dazzmondo

This is career suicide from Neymar. What was his goal tally last season? 13? Do that again and see what happens. He'll become a facebook player, nobody watches that league so his goals and skills will pop up on those LadBible pages and be forgotten about 10 minutes later.
Hes been at Barca for 4 years yet has only really had 1 standout CL campaign, why should he suddenly step up a level by moving to a lesser side?
This is madness. Hes too big for that league so he'll do what he wants.
My prediction is he will lose his hunger and be a shadow of what he could be by 28.
He has 185 goals/assists in 186 games for Barcelona. Barcelona fans are talking nonsense. They'll miss him once (if) he's actually gone

Blind

Proper setback? Barca supporters should be dancing in the streets if there's any credence to this.
What are they going to do with the money? Buying Verratti is a great move for obvious reasons and might be a sweetener in the deal but he's not going to change their style or chip in with added goals from midfield. There's only so much they can do in a limited time with attacking signings, getting players like Mbappe or even Dembele seems ambitious at this stage of the window which leaves them chasing a more realistic option like Coutinho and is he really an adequate replacement for Neymar? Liverpool will demand a significant portion of the Neymar money too, so I'd put that dancing on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.