Neymar joins PSG on a five year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigma

I just realised Neymar and Cristiano Ronaldo have the same birthday.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Obviously. How is it applicable here?
I'm not accountant but @M18CTID has provided a great explanation. The UEFA is likely to focus on the P&L instead of the cash-flow statement.

P&L

Annual Revenues
less Annual Opex
= EBITDA
less annual D&A
= EBIT
less financial expenses
less tax
= Net income

el3mel

Who cares about Neymar except Brazilians. Ligue 1 is not even a product which can compete with seria a or bundesliga.

Neymaf just went after the money and nothing else.
I don't remember saying he didn't want the money, obviously he did, but saying his marketability or level as a player will drop because of the French league is nonsense, sorry.

RuudTom83

Pogba's days as the most expensive player are numbered...give it another year and Paul will look like an absolute bargain! :)

prtk0811

Still their "fans". No other fan will watch all Barca or Madrid game against the weak Liga teams and plus signing a player like Neymar is the right step to increase their popularity world wide.
Its good for psg but not for neymar and the brand he is dreaming himself to become.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
You really think people outside Spain or non fans of Barca and Madrid are watching Barca vs Deportivo or Malaga ? seriously ? It's exactly the same situation. Barca has about 4 matches in the season that all people only watch, but I don't think you'll find many people going to see their matches against other league fodders except Barca fans or Spanish people. Same can be applied to the French league.

You're comparing playing at a Montpellier team to playing at PSG ? PSG is a big club currently whatever we agreed on this or not. Them playing in a weak league isn't their fault. Bayern is playing in a league with zero competition and no one is bothering to watch their matches against the league fodders but they're still a very big club wanted by everyone.

People were doubting Zlatan because of his age not because of playing in PSG. Your comparison is unrealistic, sorry.
German teams are still bigger (and better) than French teams, what I said about a kid playing in Motpellier wasn't related to him playing at Montpellier, more at which teams and players he plays AGAINST while he's at Montpellier, that's why the doubts about players exist, they're good, but how good are they opponents?.

As for how many people watch a Barcelona vs Malaga outside of Spain, well, you can see it yourself by joining the past season La Liga thread for example, with his 244 pages, and comparing it to the Ligue 1 and 30 pages, you think the 214 page difference is built solely in Real-Barcelona-Atletico matches? That's the exposure of playing in a top league vs a 2nd tier league, and works like that in any other way, that's how La Liga, a Spanish (46M population) competition gets more TV revenue than Ligue 1 (67M and higher GDP per capita), it's because a lot of people from out of Spain watch Real and Barcelona against lesser teams, the same way I'd rather watch a United - Charlton Athletic in the FA cup than a PSG - Nantes.

So yeah, I think that by choosing Ligue 1 as a destination to spend the prime of his career instead of La Liga, Premier League or Bayern/Juve is a step back unless he pulls something magical (with luck required) and wins a CL in 3 years, but even Cristiano Ronaldo had to wait five years to win a UCL title with the biggest club in the world, so excuse me if I'm inclined to believe Neymar has taken a bet with awful odds if his goal is becoming a Legend in European football

el3mel

Its good for psg but not for neymar and the brand he is dreaming himself to become.
And if he makes them a CL winner in the coming years ?

It's a gamble for him but he's not losing anything. He's getting loads of money anyway but he can fill the gap and make PSG finally a CL contender and everyone will say that he's the one who made PSG European Champion. It's worth the gamble imo.

He'll never ever win a Ballon D'Or in Barca because Barca success = Messi winning that prize.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
It's good for his and his fathers pocket, it seems that's all what matters to him. Also i can see him joining Real Madrid in near future, maybe they are even involved somehow in this one.

KGBhoy

What a strange transfer from Neymar's standpoint. He's going to play against Toulose, Guingamp, Rennes... Remember this is the league where average players look fantastic.
I get it that he's making money, but surely moving from a Spanish to French league is a step down?

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
@M18CTID
A buyout clause is only activated by paying it all upfront buddy
Good point but it doesn't alter the way amortisation works. The Guardian article I linked to explains this exact thing about paying transfer fees in one go - for accounting purposes, clubs will still amortise the cost over the length of the player's contract. It's not dodgy or something that is confined to, ahem, certain clubs that often find themselves in the firing line (such as the one I support lol) - it's how it works in general.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

prtk0811

I don't remember saying he didn't want the money, obviously he did, but saying his marketability or level as a player will drop because of the French league is nonsense, sorry.
His marketability will surely take a massive massive hit. He ain't a marketable player on his own if the barcelona brand tag is taken away from him, only in Brazilian circles.

Even the rest of South American circles are Messi dominated.

Unlike Messi and Ronaldo who are world famous , neymar will never catch that love of the fans apart from his native country on his own.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
And if he makes them a CL winner in the coming years ?

It's a gamble for him but he's not losing anything. He's getting loads of money anyway but he can fill the gap and make PSG finally a CL contender and everyone will say that he's the one who made PSG European Champion. It's worth the gamble imo.

He'll never ever win a Ballon D'Or in Barca because Barca success = Messi winning that prize.
Well that's a thing you could ask to some players in a pub with a couple beers, you think Di Maria is happy about leaving Real Madrid and how things have turned for him? Had he stayed he would have a couple more UCL titles in his bag and maybe pass into the club history as a key player, hell, he could be a starter ahead of Bale. Instead he just throwed what could've been the best 3 years of his career, Barcelona were eager to sign him from Real Madrid, now they allegedly aren't even sure to want him in the Neymar transfer if both teams agree to not pay de release clause

el3mel

German teams are still bigger (and better) than French teams, what I said about a kid playing in Motpellier wasn't related to him playing at Montpellier, more at which teams and players he plays AGAINST while he's at Montpellier, that's why the doubts about players exist, they're good, but how good are they opponents?.

As for how many people watch a Barcelona vs Malaga outside of Spain, well, you can see it yourself by joining the past season La Liga thread for example, with his 244 pages, and comparing it to the Ligue 1 and 30 pages, you think the 211 page difference is built solely in Real-Barcelona-Atletico matches? That's the exposure of playing in a top league vs a 2nd tier league, and works like that in any other way, that's how La Liga, a Spanish (46M population) competition gets more TV revenue than Ligue 1 (67M and higher GDP per capita), it's because a lot of people from out of Spain watch Real and Barcelona against lesser teams, the same way I'd rather watch a United - Charlton Athletic in the FA cup than a PSG - Nantes.

So yeah, I think that by choosing Ligue 1 as a destination to spend the prime of his career instead of La Liga, Premier League or Bayern/Juve is a step back unless he pulls something magical (with luck required) and wins a CL in 3 years, but even Cristiano Ronaldo had to wait five years to win a UCL title with the biggest club in the world, so excuse me if I'm inclined to believe Neymar has taken a bet with awful odds if his goal is becoming a Legend in European football
How many matches anyone watch in the Bundasliga regularly ? And no it's not about who he's playing against while he's at Montpellier but about him playing in a small club with zero pressure on him, and it's clear too because the same sentence about his ability to do it in a big club is said even on players from small EPL clubs and they're playing against the best teams in the league during the season so no, this example isn't valid.

Err.. you're comparing based on the Caf ? There're fans here for Barca and Madrid you know and you're one of them so it's normal. If we argued that PSG still lack the same popularity as Barca and Madrid so isn't signing a player like Neymar is exactly the way to push their popularity more and more ? So we go on with your statement that many watches La Liga weak matches and the opposite not applied on French league then signing world class players as Naymar is exactly the way to solve this or what's your suggestions to push their popularity ?

Neymar would have never become a legend either while in Barca so he's not losing much I believe. As I said in a previous post Barca success = Messi gaining all the prizes it's inevitable. The same for Madrid where if they won the CL or the league it means automatically that Ronaldo will get the Ballon D'Or whatever the other players did it won't matter. It's near to impossible to become a legend in Madrid and Barca while Messi and Ronaldo are there. They'll get all the prizes while the other teammates just happily did their roles and the most they'll get is praise from Pundits.

Neymar didn't lose anything. He's getting loads of money plus he's having a chance to become the man who made PSG a CL contender and maybe a European champion. It's a gamble worth taking from his pov.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm still convinced that PSG would have been okay with Verratti+100m for Neymar but Barcelona thought that their plan was better. PSG would have bought Seri and everyone was happy.

AXVnee7

So Messi has paid Neymar a farewell message on his instagram. That's virtually a confirmation in my book. Matter of when now...

JPRouve

Scout
If it comes to direct head count Europe Africa and Asia has the most veiwership of football where league 1 has minimum penetration.
Euh, I have been to Africa a fair bit and since half of the continent speak french, it happens that Ligue 1 is the main league after the PL.

el3mel

Well that's a thing you could ask to some players in a pub with a couple beers, you think Di Maria is happy about leaving Real Madrid and how things have turned for him? Had he stayed he would have a couple more UCL titles in his bag and maybe pass into the club history as a key player, hell, he could be a starter ahead of Bale. Instead he just throwed what could've been the best 3 years of his career, Barcelona were eager to sign him from Real Madrid, now they allegedly aren't even sure to want him in the Neymar transfer if both teams agree to not pay de release clause
Di Maria wouldn't be that happy to set on the bench for 2 years waiting for Bale to start decline so he can regain his position. If Di Maria remained he would have been reduced to a bench player who features at the last 30 minutes of the game and win trophies while he's considered a sub player.

Your problem is you think players are happy getting trophies even if they have low to no role. A bench player will accept that happily but any superstar won't happily accept to be reduced as a sub and wait for a decline to one of the starters to get more game time.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If it comes to direct head count Europe Africa and Asia has the most veiwership of football where league 1 has minimum penetration.
French league is surely popular in Africa?

izec

I'm still convinced that PSG would have been okay with Verratti+100m for Neymar but Barcelona thought that their plan was better. PSG would have bought Seri and everyone was happy.
You mean before the tapping up? Or lately?

JPRouve

Scout
La liga still has more veiwership.
Probably but after the EPL and La Liga it depends on the country and in french speaking countries PSG and Marseille are huge. Remember that your initial point was about Ligue 1 not being a competitor for Serie and Bundesliga when in reality it is.

MullerUtd

French league is surely popular in Africa?
Why would you think so? The truth of the matter is no one outside of France really gives a shit about Ligue 1. Even our Ligue 1 thread here has the least views and comments as compared to the La Liga, Bundesliga, Seria A. I think the EPL is still the most popular in Africa. You would see reports of some Man Utd fan in Nigeria or Kenya killing himself or his friend because they mock them cause Utd lost so people there must have followed our league religiously.

Alemar

You don't walk away from Barca to play in the shitty French league.
You do if you are Neymar. It is for normal players that an opportunity to play alongside Messi is the best thing in the world. For 2 or 3 other players, however, the same factor (availability of Messi) is, ironically, a bad thing - as their aspirations go above "playing alongside best player in the world", they want to be the best player in the world themselves. This is not achievable in the same team with Messi - hence leaving Barcelona is 200% logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.