Neymar joins PSG on a five year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
It's not fair or right but, as you allude to, it's just part of a trend that's been going on in football since the start of professionalism.

How would Scunthorpe winning the CL mean the game is "ruined" though?
Scunthrope :drool:

el3mel

I don't see Neymar having the careers Messi or Ronaldo have/had. I see him retiring in 5-6 years, for some reason.
I don't see him following the normal Brazilian trend, though.

He'll sure not reach the same career as Messi and Chris and he's the direct favorite to win Ballon D'Or after their career is done.

Bwuk

Whilst I rate Neymar, I don't think he's worth anywhere near that and if Barca use that 200m and get in Dembele and Coutinho with it they'd have a stronger side.

onemanarmy

He'll sure not reach the same career as Messi and Chris and he's the direct favorite to win Ballon D'Or after their career is done.
Watch Lukaku banging in 40 goals next season :drool: Clear favorite!

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

You mean he's going to be #1 after 3/4 years playing in the League 1? PSG better make it even into UCL semifinals.

Playing there surely didn't cement Ibra/Cavani positions as top European players and, I'd say they took a dive in their cache playing there

Bojan11

We really need to have in the title to stop people posting that Triple H and Shield video every two minutes.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Buyout clause remains same.

However, Barca may hijack the deal for us.
That should mean bigger payday for Griez

When clubs are throwin 200M around for world class players, and you're a world class player wanted by, for example Barcelona and United, you can cover the difference between those 200M and your 100M release clause by asking "a little more" money and choosing the biggest bidder

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Won't happen but imagine the scenes if we got him
Potential to be one of the best players ever Barca shouldn't let him go.

prtk0811

They'll decline sooner or later, after 4-5 years when Neymar will still be at 29 years by then and in his prime. Neymar has the future in his hands no doubt. He still didn't even reach his prime I believe, only 25 years old.
They are the fedrers and Ali's of football , their decline ain't coming any sooner. It up to Neymar to match or surpass their level rather than wait for them to decline.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I wouldn't be surprised if Neymar signs for Real Madrid as Ronnies successor in 1 or 2 years tbh.

Judas

Open to offers
You mean he's going to be #1 after 3/4 years playing in the League 1? PSG better make it even into UCL semifinals.

Playing there surely didn't cement Ibra/Cavani positions as top European players and, I'd say they took a dive in their cache playing there
That's absolute bobbins about Ibra, his brand went from strength to strength with the move to Paris. Cavani's reputation has taken a dive as he's a donkey and shown up for what he is, that and the YouTube compilations of his misses.

el3mel

Yep he'll. How can a league weaken a certain player ?

Robertd0803

That's £198m in ONE HIT, on this year's accounts... the other big clubs are already ganging up on them not to bail them out of their FFP situation by paying big money for their players, PSG will either end up banned from European competition or lose pretty much all of their other desirable assets.
The only thing though is no one would stick to that. Using lets say Inter Milan as an example it would be very easy to say to Barcelona, ''yes we will not buy any PSG players as they are killing the market for everyone etc.'' Then PSG offer Di Maria to Inter for a decent fee and would Inter really turn down a chance to improve their own squad and challenge for trophies in order to support another club that's throwing its toys out of the pram?

(Inter and Di Maria just being examples).

Similarly if PSG offered Barcelona Veratti in the next few days I wonder how quick Barcelona would stop whining.

We really need to have in the title to stop people posting that Triple H and Shield video every two minutes.
Yes, its incredibly annoying as well as the giant heads on Rollins and Reigns being somewhat creepy.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Players earning unrealistic amounts will widen the disparity in football. Amounts of money that cannot be generated organically within football means that those who don't happen to have a country backing them cannot compete fairly.

It ruins the game in the same way that an athlete who wins a race by doping has ruined the competition. It has no integrity anymore.

I also think that in terms of politics and ethics etc, a state should not be able to own a club in someone's national league. The club becomes a potential political vehicle, and has scope for its powers to exceed what a club should have.
I deeply believe Spanish Football hasn't any "lessons of integrity/ethics" to give.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
The only thing though is no one would stick to that. Using lets say Inter Milan as an example it would be very easy to say to Barcelona, ''yes we will not buy any PSG players as they are killing the market for everyone etc.'' Then PSG offer Di Maria to Inter for a decent fee and would Inter really turn down a chance to improve their own squad and challenge for trophies in order to support another club that's throwing its toys out of the pram?

(Inter and Di Maria just being examples).

Similarly if PSG offered Barcelona Veratti in the next few days I wonder how quick Barcelona would stop whining.
Decent fee being the thing.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I'm going to stick to my guns - this transfer will not happen. He's an attention-seeker that has taken this further than even he originally intended but he just isn't going to go to Ligue 1; he'll have a revelation during his "thought-clearing" in London that he wants to stay at Barcelona after all.

And even if PSG do sign Neymar, they've killed themselves. That's £198m in ONE HIT, on this year's accounts... the other big clubs are already ganging up on them not to bail them out of their FFP situation by paying big money for their players, PSG will either end up banned from European competition or lose pretty much all of their other desirable assets.

Do you know the concept of Amortization?

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Yep he'll. How can a league weaken a certain player ?
Because it diminishes his global exposure, how many people watch a Barcelona vs Malaga or Barcelona vs Deportivo, compared to PSG vs Nice or PSG vs Rennes?.

You can see it in this same forum when people bring up young players doing great at 2nd tier leagues. "yeah, he's killing it at Montpellier in the Ligue 1, but is he good enough to do it at Arsenal level?", well that happens with stars too, he can score 35 goals this season, he's scoring them at almost the same level as Russian/Portuguese leagues (46k coefficient for France, 42k for Russia and 39k for Portugal).

God, even Zlatan scored 38 in his last PSG season and people had doubts he could pull 20 in the PL, that's how bad getting low exposure, or getting it for putting 4 against Caen hurts a footballer brand

el3mel

Because it diminishes his global exposure, how many people watch a Barcelona vs Malaga or Barcelona vs Deportivo, compared to PSG vs Nice or PSG vs Rennes?.

You can see it in this same forum when people bring up young players doing great at 2nd tier leagues. "yeah, he's killing it at Montpellier in the Ligue 1, but is he good enough to do it at Arsenal level?", well that happens with stars too, he can score 35 goals this season, he's scoring them at almost the same level as Russian/Portuguese leagues (46k coefficient for France, 42k and 39k for Portugal).

God, even Zlatan scored 38 in his last PSG season and people had doubts he could pull 20 in the PL, that's how bad getting low exposure, or getting it for putting 4 against Caen hurts a footballer brand
You really think people outside Spain or non fans of Barca and Madrid are watching Barca vs Deportivo or Malaga ? seriously ? It's exactly the same situation. Barca has about 4 matches in the season that all people only watch, but I don't think you'll find many people going to see their matches against other league fodders except Barca fans or Spanish people. Same can be applied to the French league.

You're comparing playing at a Montpellier team to playing at PSG ? PSG is a big club currently whatever we agreed on this or not. Them playing in a weak league isn't their fault. Bayern is playing in a league with zero competition and no one is bothering to watch their matches against the league fodders but they're still a very big club wanted by everyone.

People were doubting Zlatan because of his age not because of playing in PSG. Your comparison is unrealistic, sorry.

prath92

You really think people outside Spain or non fans of Barca and Madrid are watching Barca vs Deportivo or Malaga ? seriously ? It's exactly the same situation. Barca has about 4 matches in the season that all people only watch, but I don't think you'll find many people going to see their matches against other league fodders except Barca fans or Spanish people. Same can be applied to the French league.

You're comparing playing at a Montpellier team to playing at PSG ? PSG is a big club currently whatever we agreed on this or not. Them playing in a weak league isn't their fault. Bayern is playing in a league with zero competition and no one is bothering to watch their matches against the league fodders but they're still a very big club wanted by everyone.

People were doubting Zlatan because of his age not because of playing in PSG. Your comparison is unrealistic, sorry.
Barcelona has huge fan following in many countries so people watch their games.

I don't think psg have that many fans outside France yet.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

In a way, he is right. La Liga because of Barcelona and Real Madrid have more followers worldwide, that alone put them on a different planet to the Ligue 1 but that can change with players like Neymar and the handful of top managers will attract viewers.

el3mel

Barcelona has huge fan following in many countries so people watch their games.

I don't think psg have that many fans outside France yet.
Still their "fans". No other fan will watch all Barca or Madrid game against the weak Liga teams and plus signing a player like Neymar is the right step to increase their popularity world wide.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Obviously. How is it applicable here?
Going off your previous post, I'm not sure you do mate. You implied that the £198 million transfer fee would hit PSG's books in one go but that is not how amortisation works. The transfer fee will be amortised over the length of Neymar's contract so if he signs a 6 year deal, the cost will be £198 million divided by 6 meaning an extra cost to PSG's accounts of £33 million per year. Of course, wages then need to be factored in and with all sorts of rumours kicking about regarding what he will earn it's difficult to estimate what that will be, but let's assume he will be paid a very generous £600,000 per week before tax. That's £31.2 million per year so the total amortised cost of transfer fee and wages to PSG will be £64.2 million per year. All of a sudden, and despite the eye-watering headline figures, the cost doesn't seem quite so outrageous. And I'm sure PSG will probably move a couple of players on to recoup some of the outlay which in real terms will offset a portion of the extra amortised cost of the Neymar deal. Now if Neymar helps them win the Champions League, all of a sudden their global profile will rocket and that in itself could attract all kinds of extra revenue over the coming years.

This article https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths is about transfers and some of the common misconceptions surrounding them, including an explanation of how amortisation works.

Last edited:

Feedingseagulls

I have no dislike for Barca. I prefer them to Real. However, Neymar's initial transfer to them was so dodgy I can't bring myself to feel any pity for them.

Add to the fact they are literally beside themselves about this whole thing when they were no angels to bring him there in the first place.... I just have to laugh at everything.

This is karma at its finest.
Errrm. Shum mishtake shurely?

prath92

Still their "fans". No other fan will watch all Barca or Madrid game against the weak Liga teams and plus signing a player like Neymar is the right step to increase their popularity world wide.
To be fair, not a lot of people watch united vs Burnley either unless they are united fans.

el3mel

To be fair, not a lot of people watch united vs Burnley either unless they are united fans.
But on the opposite side, EPL has 6 strong teams, 7 if we counted Everton, so the number of big matches in the league is insane.

prtk0811

Who cares about Neymar except Brazilians. Ligue 1 is not even a product which can compete with seria a or bundesliga.

Neymaf just went after the money and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.