Neymar joins PSG on a five year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
In terms of wages they would have got them off the books but in terms of actual paying of transfer fees. I don't think it would have made much, if any difference at all, as majority of their players were released rather than sold.

However, my question around them is how can they be involved in a battle for Mbappe? They can't even get bums on seats for their games, how are they affording all these transfers? Dodgy sponsorship dealings.
Ticket sales doesn't amount to much, maybe 10% of total revenue if they're lucky; sponsorship deals would be the name of the game but don't forget though that they're recent Champions League semi-finalists, Premier League winners, have some of the world's best players playing for them as well as supposedly the world's best manager, play an attractive style of football and play in by far the most commercially successful league in the world... the growth of their brand has been astronomical and more importantly in relation to your post it's legitimate.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For what its worth, if La Liga thinks that 220m aren't a realistic amount of money, then they admit that they accepted a contract with an unrealistic clause, they admit that the clause doesn't allow a player to move freely without cause. I wouldn't admit that.

redspoony

This is just unsavoury whichever way you look at it. A club effectively funded by a state, battling with a club used to getting their own way.

I'm enjoying seeing Barca being bullied (although would much prefer it to be Real Madrid), but they money involved is just sickening.

And I say that as someone who has never begrudged footballers their salaries, but the money chucked around in the last couple of years has just made me feel pretty disenfranchised.

Revan

Assumptionman
Personally I like my idea.
I don't (well, I do to some degree). My solution(s) to this would be much more simple though:

1) Any club can spend whatever they want. None cried for sugar daddies a couple of decades ago (or a century ago), what has exactly changed now? You will find difficult finding a club who wasn't helped from sugar daddies during their history, and that moment would have changed anything. United for once, probably wouldn't exist at all if we didn't gain outside money when we were almost going bankrupt.

2) Any club can spend whatever they want, but for every euro (pound, dollar, you get it) they spend outside of their revenue, the owner should be obligated to put 5 times as much money on a locked bank account (and this takes into account the last 5 years, so if a club spends 100m extra in the last 5 years, then in the bank account there should be 500m. Now the next year the club doesn't spend anything - and they have spend 50m on the first of these 5 years - then it means that next year on the account there should be just 250m so the owner is free to get 250m from the account). On this way, the money is allowed to go into football (what business doesn't allow free money to go there?) and it ensures that the clubs won't suffer if the owner gets tired, goes bankrupt etc.

I like the second idea more than the first one, cause it protects the clubs.

Inter Yer Nan

I have on FuboTV and I pay $20 a month but comes with BeinSports, Gol TV and Portuguese league.
I get a Spanish language pack that gives all the Bein Espanol, ESPN deportes, Fox deportes etc; I do get Portuguese league too but forget what it comes on and it's in Spanish. I rarely watch that league though.

pseudo_canadian

What is La Liga expecting to get out of this? From my understanding they literally have zero jurisdiction to refuse the buy-out money, given that it's a legally binding contract.

They're just being huge babies because they're losing one of their big commercial money-makers.

DannyDee

Only United makes more money than PSG from EPL clubs.
They are behind City according to Deloitte and by Forbes are only the 12th most valuable club in the world (behind Tottenham, Liverpool, City, Chelsea, and Arsenal), and are by far the most dependent on commercial revenue considering their TV money is nowhere near the other teams. It would be interesting to see UEFA dig further into their commercial revenue, as I doubt all of it is on the up and up, and is probably heavily supported by Qatari companies leading to inflated revenue which FFP was supposed to combat.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I would personally find it much more of an interesting challenge to propel the French league into the top tier of European football than to play second fiddle for a team that's won two trebles in 6 years. Whether that's possible or not, I dunno, but he already knows that anything he's achieved with Barcelona, they could achieve without him. That's not a very satisfying career for me.

Success is great but autonomy, influence and legacy are more important than it. A french team has never reached the pinnacle of European football and it's a very achievable goal for him to drive PSG to that historic achievement. Financial doping muddies the waters but many of the great teams, from di Stefano's Madrid to Baresi's Milan, achieved historic success by securing the best players in the world with the help of wealthy, corrupt politicians.
Agree with the rest of your post but Marseille won it in 1993.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't (well, I do to some degree). My solution(s) to this would be much more simple though:

1) Any club can spend whatever they want. None cried for sugar daddies a couple of decades ago (or a century ago), what has exactly changed now? You will find difficult finding a club who wasn't helped from sugar daddies during their history, and that moment would have changed anything. United for once, probably wouldn't exist at all if we didn't gain outside money when we were almost going bankrupt.

2) Any club can spend whatever they want, but for every euro (pound, dollar, you get it) they spend outside of their revenue, the owner should be obligated to put 5 times as much money on a locked bank account (and this takes into account the last 5 years, so if a club spends 100m extra in the last 5 years, then in the bank account there should be 500m. Now the next year the club doesn't spend anything - and they have spend 50m on the first of these 5 years - then it means that next year on the account there should be just 250m so the owner is free to get 250m from the account). On this way, the money is allowed to go into football (what business doesn't allow free money to go there?) and it ensures that the clubs won't suffer if the owner gets tired, goes bankrupt etc.

I like that idea a lot. So two people not linked with the UEFA have what I believe better ideas than FFP...

redspoony

Too sensible and too honest, unfortunately.

Love the second idea though.

GloryHunter07

Ok, I'll give you that. Doesn't explain the other examples though.
Well Mbappe to Madrid hasnt happened has it? So you are 1/3 in your examples so far.

Im not saying that Oil money hasnt inflated the market, but it clearly isnt the only factor at play here.

red thru&thru

Ticket sales doesn't amount to much, maybe 10% of total revenue if they're lucky; sponsorship deals would be the name of the game but don't forget though that they're recent Champions League semi-finalists, Premier League winners, have some of the world's best players playing for them as well as supposedly the world's best manager, play an attractive style of football and play in by far the most commercially successful league in the world... the growth of their brand has been astronomical and more importantly in relation to your post it's legitimate.
But going back to my original point, how can they afford to spend more than clubs like us, Madrid & Barca...clubs who have built up their revenues over decades and not just the last 10 years or so...especially with their previous lavish spending's.

Manny

Grammar Police
Barca should just let this transfer go through. They're just lavishing PSG with attention the longer they go on.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
This is just unsavoury whichever way you look at it. A club effectively funded by a state, battling with a club used to getting their own way.

I'm enjoying seeing Barca being bullied (although would much prefer it to be Real Madrid), but they money involved is just sickening.

And I say that as someone who has never begrudged footballers their salaries, but the money chucked around in the last couple of years has just made me feel pretty disenfranchised.
I'm the same, I hate PSG and I hate Barcelona so this is sort of a win-win for me because I think they both lose.

If anyone has read Pompeii then PSG are basically the Ampliatus of football clubs, trying to buy respect and a seat at the table of the elite but really just turning the stomach of all those around them with their vulgarity; turned the shoulders of those they wish to rub away from them, bringing the massive spotlight of FFP down solely on them and likely ruining their chances of success in the near future.

Barcelona have lost a player they'll never replace.

And if PSG can't win the Champions League in the near future what was the point? What this transfer tells us is that Neymar will be in the Premier League in three years' time.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
My understanding of this is that we're discussing several different cases who're not connected to each other.

1. As far as I can see nobody can stop Neymar and his legal team to activate his realase clause. When this is done Neymar should be free to sign a new contract with any club he wants. Any other outcome of this should be legally challanged by the player and his entourage and I can't see them losing this case. Off course his legal team has checked all legal possibilities before handing the authorities his money and when it's done they probably has a plan B if La Liga refuse to accept the money. So let's wait to see plan B.

2. How Neymar gets his money is a question between the local tax authorities and the player himself. Its up to the Spanish (depending on where he legally earn this money) tax authorities to prove any wrong doing and they can only do so at the end the year. I assume the Spanish taxation starts and ends every new year.

3. From Barcelona perspective they can only challange Neymar if he don't fulfill to release the clause in a legally right manner. I assume that Neymar's lawyers are in full control of the procedure so this shouldn't be a problem. If Barcelona or La Liga, whatever reasons, don't release his player license if the clause is activated then Neymar has a case. To be honest I can't see him lose this one and I can't see his legal team, and that includes advisers from PSG and Qatar, transfer so much money without knowing the outcome.

4. PSG has to show UEFA they can meet FFP rules at the and of their fiscal year. Then it's up to UEFA to investigate if they have done it according to the rules. Any outcome of this should be according to what the FFP rules says at this moment.

5. From my understanding FFP is a farse. UEFA don't have a leg to stand on if they ends up in a court inside the European Union. Free movement is the fundamental issue. Whiteout knowing but I can't see UEFA taking this to court. They will find other solutions. That's my take on this.

6. From my personal perspective both PSG, City and similar clubs are destroying the football community. I hope other clubs, authorities and all other involved find a way to stop this. How? No idea.

7. Barcelona started this and now they pay the ultimate price for their stupidity. No other club represents all the bad things with fooball more then the Catalonian club. I admire their players and how the play but apart from this I can't stand them.

Well. Let's wait and see. Whatever I think nobody can deny it's highly entertaining.

Revan

Assumptionman
They are behind City according to Deloitte and by Forbes are only the 12th most valuable club in the world (behind Tottenham, Liverpool, City, Chelsea, and Arsenal), and are by far the most dependent on commercial revenue considering their TV money is nowhere near the other teams. It would be interesting to see UEFA dig further into their commercial revenue, as I doubt all of it is on the up and up, and is probably heavily supported by Qatari companies leading to inflated revenue which FFP was supposed to combat.
Ah, didn't know that City has surpassed them. So, they are sixth with City fifth then?

wr8_utd

:'(
Why would Barca be in touch with Liga to block this? The transfer is definitely going to go through eventually and they'd rather have the 222m in the bank now than on 31st August.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
But going back to my original point, how can they afford to spend more than clubs like us, Madrid & Barca...clubs who have built up their revenues over decades and not just the last 10 years or so...especially with their previous lavish spending's.
Barcelona and Real Madrid have massive stadium redevelopments on the way, we have debt.

GloryHunter07

What is La Liga expecting to get out of this? From my understanding they literally have zero jurisdiction to refuse the buy-out money, given that it's a legally binding contract.

They're just being huge babies because they're losing one of their big commercial money-makers.
I think they are dping Barca a favour and being awkward. The transfer will go through.

Its a bit short sighted though, what happens if Real/Barca agree a fee for Mbappe and Ligue 1 reject the transfer?

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Certainly no legal expert here especially on European and Spanish law, but one thing I had picked up along the way in life that any clause in a contract has to be "reasonable." Say for instance, failure of one party to pay the other party $500 by a certain date results in a penalty of $50. That would be reasonable. If the clause stated that the failure would result in a penalty of $500,000, that would not be "reasonable" and thus the clause would technically be unenforceable. Obviously the nuances of such things make it a not so simple thing to decide in many cases what is and is not reasonable.

So the question I have is are the sure restrictions in place on contracts in Europe and Spain and could a huge release clause in a contract be considered unreasonable? Ie Neymars 220mil or Messi's supposed 1 billion release clause. Yes the players and clubs willingly agreed to such terms but even given the inflated transfer market could it be argued that such huge fees are not in fact "reasonable" and are therefore unenforceable?

I would guess there really is not a legal problem with them, but was just sort of wondering.

Kapardin

And if PSG can't win the Champions League in the near future what was the point? What this transfer tells us is that Neymar will be in the Premier League in three years' time.
Or Madrid, if there is no anti-Madrid clause. More of a possibility.

If Neymar wins the CL once with PSG, his sporting sense will make him yearn for a move again. There would nothing left for him in France after that. This transfer is about winning the CL, everything else is irrelevant.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
I think they are dping Barca a favour and being awkward. The transfer will go through.

Its a bit short sighted though, what happens if Real/Barca agree a fee for Mbappe and Ligue 1 reject the transfer?
Barca has allowed Neymar to go and work on his deal with PSG. Valverde has allowed him to skip training and perfect the transfer. You guys have no idea what you're talking about to be honest. Whatever pressure Barca put in this saga was on Neymar to make up his mind if he is going or if he is leaving, that's all. As soon as Neymar spoke in front of the teammates that he wants to go to PSG, Barca has no problem in letting him go in exchange for the full 222m. being paid. Whatever LFP did has nothing to do with Barcelona.

Barca has no intent to keep a player who doesn't want to stay. I'm frankly surprised a lot of intelligent people around here fail to grasp this simple idea.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why would Barca be in touch with Liga to block this? The transfer is definitely going to go through eventually and they'd rather have the 222m in the bank now than on 31st August.
They have been favored from both La Liga and UEFA for an eternity.

On addition, if they want the money now, they can just accept the offer from PSG, without making Neymar activate the release clause. And well, they mentioned that PSG cannot buy Neymar because of FFP a couple of days before La Liga said the same.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well Mbappe to Madrid hasnt happened has it? So you are 1/3 in your examples so far.

Im not saying that Oil money hasnt inflated the market, but it clearly isnt the only factor at play here.
Mbappe to Madrid is widely thought to be happening this summer. Also look at the money being quoted for Dembele to Barca (100m).

One would seriously have to have been hibernating on an asteroid for the past few years to obfuscate from the reality of oil and Oligarch money over the past decade

Javi

Commercial deals from the owner are capped at 35%, if they reach that point their overall budget won't exceed 50% of the biggest budget in the confederation. Let's imagine that PSG have 300m worth of commercial deals and 150m are linked to their owner, then their budget will be capped at 50% of the highest budget. If United have the highest budget at 500m than PSG's budget is capped at 250m.
Yes, but what does 'linked' mean. Really hard to find a suitable solution. They will use straw mans, but how will your system detect them?

Revan

Assumptionman
Barca has allowed Neymar to go and work on his deal with PSG. Valverde has allowed him to skip training and perfect the transfer. You guys have no idea what you're talking about to be honest. Whatever pressure Barca put in this saga was on Neymar to make up his mind if he is going or if he is leaving, that's all. As soon as Neymar spoke in front of the teammates that he wants to go to PSG, Barca has no problem in letting him go.

Barca has no intent to keep a player who doesn't want to stay. I'm frankly surprised a lot of intelligent people around here fail to grasp this simple idea.
Why they don't just accept 222m from PSG (same as his release clause) to make everything easier then?

And why did they mention FFP for only a few days later La Liga to do the same?

DannyDee

Ah, didn't know that City has surpassed them. So, they are sixth with City fifth then?
According to Deloitte yes. But the real question I'd have though is where is all that commercial revenue coming from, they have deals with Nike and American Express, but a big "commercial sponsor" is Qatari Tourism Authority, which raises red flags.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Why they don't just accept 222m from PSG (same as his release clause) to make everything easier then?

And why did they mention FFP for only a few days later La Liga to do the same?
They refuse to deal with PSG according to Barcelona based press. And rightfully so. Barcelona's position in this is textbook. Player has a buyout, pay it and he's gone. Nobody is keeping him by force. Again, they allowed him to skip training and deal with PSG for them to pay the buyout.

Denis79

They hope the deals fails? Neymar will give a 100% anyways with the WC around the corner.

Revan

Assumptionman
They refuse to deal with PSG according to Barcelona based press. And rightfully so. Barcelona's position in this is textbook. Player has a buyout, pay it and he's gone. Nobody is keeping him by force. Again, they allowed him to skip training and deal with PSG for them to pay the buyout.
And complain to daddy about that.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
And complain to daddy about that.
I don't even know what you're talking about at this point. Tebas is a confirmed Madrid fan. Least he wants to do is help Barca. Maybe even the other way around.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
They refuse to deal with PSG according to Barcelona based press. And rightfully so. Barcelona's position in this is textbook. Player has a buyout, pay it and he's gone.
That's just childish and unprofessional.

If Neymar was a United player, I wouldn't want to lose him either, but at the end of the day his release clause has been activated, they simply do not have a leg to stand on.

I'm sure the £225m on offer will help them get over it the loss.

Minimalist

Is there a Explain Like I'm 5 explanation for how La Liga as a body can reject a submission of money to trigger a players release clause?

If it's in the contract surely it must be respected or you'd have courts involved?

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
That's just childish and unprofessional.

If Neymar was a United player, I wouldn't want to lose him either, but at the end of the day his release clause has been activated, they simply do not have a leg to stand on.

I'm sure the £225m on offer will help them get over it, though.
:lol: Barca - PSG relations are tensed. They didn't want to deal with us regarding the sale of Verratti. We don't want to deal with them regarding the sale on Neymar. I'd say it's perfectly fair.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
:lol: Barca - PSG relations are tensed. They didn't want to deal with us regarding the sale of Verratti. We don't want to deal with them regarding the sale on Neymar. I'd say it's perfectly fair.
The small difference is one has a release clause and the other one not

Status
Not open for further replies.