Neymar

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Can see it happening if Qatar buy us and I'm sure ETH would like the top class help for goals he'd bring during the season. Really it's the oil clubs that can afford the wages. I don't see Ineos/Glazers going for it.
Oh yeah we would have no absolutely chance of taking him on loan without the Qataris taking over

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Can't see PSG offering to pay some of his wages whilst he is at Utd. That's why I couldn't ever see this move becoming a realistic possibility due to the money involved
Depends on how desperate they are to offload him, don't see it myself but you never know in football

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Can you imagine off-the ball defending / pressing from our forwards with the likes of Rashford and Neymar?
I mean, Neymar presses and works harder than most of our forward line (or at least used to, haven't really watched him for a few years). More than Kane also, who is someone I do have definite concerns with in that regard when taking into account that most of our other attackers also don't do much.

Ted Lasso

I mean, Neymar presses and works harder than most of our forward line (or at least used to, haven't really watched him for a few years). More than Kane also, who is someone I do have definite concerns with in that regard when taking into account that most of our other attackers also don't do much.
Yup. I swear the only time some of these fans have seen Neymar was when he was crying on the bench as we beat them 2-1 in the CL.

Brilliant player, still has plenty to give in the right environment. I'd actually call him less of a risk than Casemiro and Varane were.

TsuWave

I mean, Neymar presses and works harder than most of our forward line (or at least used to, haven't really watched him for a few years).
He does. I've posted about it in this thread before. Most people here don't actually watch football and just say whatever

These are Neymar's and Rashford's defensive actions per 90 minutes:

Neymar's pressing vs others:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He does. I've posted about it in this thread before. Most people here don't actually watch or know football and just say whatever
There's probably not a stat for pressing and work rate, if there's no stat for it then it's not worth considering - that's how I imagine the mindset :boring:

croadyman

Would be interesting to see if the likes of Ogden/Romano change the views on this IF Jassim does actually still buy the club.

I also think the other thing that would give this legs again is Utd getting a definite no from Kane's brother about signing this summer.

So with that being said where should he played in this team in order to get the best out of him (not that I see it ever happening of course)

caid

I wouldn't be worried about him being a success. I'd be worried about Rashford being a success up front or on the right. Midfield is more of a stretch for me, could easily work but sounds like something you'd need to build around. If i was building a team from scratch where money is no object, then i'd want him (or maybe vinicius but only because of age).
I just think we need a completely different profile of player up front and in midfield and throwing coherent team building out the window for a big name just sounds idiotic at this point.
I mean if the completely independent qatar owners at psg want to give our completely independent qatar owners Neymar for peanuts then great i guess. Sounds completely legit. I guess i dont care either way at that point.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Haven't seen him play midfield so ill take your word for it. Don't think we need an upgrade on Bruno regardless.
Well you’ve seen enough to decide he’d be a marginal upgrade on Bruno apparently (you mentioned him as opposed to Casemiro or Shaw so I assume you know the sort of role he will play).

Bruno is a good player but Neymar is a much better player and one of the very best footballers of the last decade.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can't see PSG offering to pay some of his wages whilst he is at Utd. That's why I couldn't ever see this move becoming a realistic possibility due to the money involved
If it can’t be done financially then we won’t do it. It’s really not even a point worth labouring.

And I don’t see why PSG would not pay wages. They want him to leave, yet his wages are prohibitive. It’s a very likely outcome.

caid

Well you’ve seen enough to decide he’d be a marginal upgrade on Bruno apparently (you mentioned him as opposed to Casemiro or Shaw so I assume you know the sort of role he will play).
Someone else mentioned playing Neymar as a 10. And i think Bruno is a very good 10 who in terms of settling and getting the most out of would rate pretty well. I think unless your getting a completely different number 10 then any gains are going to be pretty marginal. Maybe he performs completely differently in the middle to how i imagine but i assume it'd be much more of a support striker than an iniesta like extra midfielder.

Ace Krampus

Yup. I swear the only time some of these fans have seen Neymar was when he was crying on the bench as we beat them 2-1 in the CL.

Brilliant player, still has plenty to give in the right environment. I'd actually call him less of a risk than Casemiro and Varane were.
He misses half the season every year, and has done so for as long as he's been in Paris.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He misses the CL knockouts because of injuries.

Not for his his sister's birthday :lol:
Ye but there’s been a lot of rumours about that. Like faking injuries and then goes to Brazil or wherever is sister is.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
0 fees, half of his current salary, give him the no 7 and playing as a no 9 role (more like a false 9 role).

Threesus

I would take him. If we are really serious about competing for this league, we need forwards who are world class and they don’t come any better than Neymar.

I know it’s a stretch given his injury history in recent years, but if he can give us like 35-40 games(about 25-30 in the PL), it will be a huge boost for us next season.

If the interest is genuine from both sides, I hope we do a deal quickly instead of waiting to get destroyed by Brighton/brentford.

croadyman

I would take him. If we are really serious about competing for this league, we need forwards who are world class and they don’t come any better than Neymar.

I know it’s a stretch given his injury history in recent years, but if he can give us like 35-40 games(about 25-30 in the PL), it will be a huge boost for us next season.

If the interest is genuine from both sides, I hope we do a deal quickly instead of waiting to get destroyed by Brighton/brentford.
Interest will only pick up if Jassim is owner

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Someone else mentioned playing Neymar as a 10. And i think Bruno is a very good 10 who in terms of settling and getting the most out of would rate pretty well. I think unless your getting a completely different number 10 then any gains are going to be pretty marginal. Maybe he performs completely differently in the middle to how i imagine but i assume it'd be much more of a support striker than an iniesta like extra midfielder.
That is true. Although I would say that with the exception of this season perhaps - Bruno himself has played like more of a support striker too. He’s closer to Rooney than Iniesta generally speaking.

caid

That is true. Although I would say that with the exception of this season perhaps - Bruno himself has played like more of a support striker too. He’s closer to Rooney than Iniesta generally speaking.
Agreed.
I guess what I was thinking was that ten hag might not love Bruno in midfield, even this season's version, and might want a different kind of player in there. But I wouldn't see that being neymar.
I take your point about him being better but bruno plays every minute of every match, which we just wouldn't get from Neymar. I think youd find similar trade offs with any other 10 you want to mention and it'd be pretty difficult to get any kind of upgrade on him, let alone a significant upgrade, with our transfer record

Pickle85

It is not absurd at all. He is not ‘enormously highly rated’ by all, and barely anyone connected to the UK. He is constantly seen to be needing to justify the fact that he’s an extremely good player to ‘doubters’ - doubters that exist for what I can only call ‘some strange reason’. He consistently performs well, and for my money, while he was at Barcelona he broke that ‘Ronaldo/Messi’ dominance as he became better than Ronaldo there.

He’s underrated because he is not firstly referenced as one of the very best footballers on the planet, which he is.
I'd say that you're the one OVERRATING him based on this. There was certainly a time that he was top three in the world but he was never top 2 (in my opinion) and he's no longer top three. As for barely anyone connected to the uk rating him enormously highly, I don't buy that at all. I think most don't like him, but you wouldn't find that many that don't rate him as a top player.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If this was happening 2 years after his PSG stint, I'd be happy because we have all seen what Neymar could do at a proper respectable club in terms of professionalism.
His unreal talent is not worth the bagage he could bring (talking specifically about match fitness)

Eddy_JukeZ

If this was happening 2 years after his PSG stint, I'd be happy because we have all seen what Neymar could do at a proper respectable club in terms of professionalism.
His unreal talent is not worth the bagage he could bring (talking specifically about match fitness)
His injury record is a giant concern.

For a loan deal though, I'd probably still take that risk.

Funnily enough, even with him missing half the season, he was more productive than Martial, Antony and Sancho combined.

Tarrou

doesn't make a whole heap of sense to me

we'd either have to shift Rashford up top permanently, or play Neymar as false 9 which doesn't suit us or him that well

and bringing in a player who expects to start isn't great for bedding in Garnacho either, who should be pushing for like 25 starts next season

this team needs a proper number 9

kouroux

His injury record is a giant concern.

For a loan deal though, I'd probably still take that risk.

Funnily enough, even with him missing half the season, he was more productive than Martial, Antony and Sancho combined.
Gotta take into consideration where he was playing his football to get those stats. I don't doubt he'd shine in the PL but it's easier to be productive in Ligue 1 when you're playing for the biggest club by far

InfiniteBoredom

Gotta take into consideration where he was playing his football to get those stats. I don't doubt he'd shine in the PL but it's easier to be productive in Ligue 1 when you're playing for the biggest club by far
He was similarly productive at Barca though. And still doing the business in CL in the occasions he did play.

It has more to do with the player’s quality, ancient Zlatan and Cavani did fine coming from Ligue 1, while Lacazette and Pepe flopped. It’s not a linear transition where you can expect x or y based on their previous numbers.

ScarleyUtd

Judging him on the media narrative I presume rather than listening to Casa on this
Judging him by what I think of his character. Anyone who lauds a vicious thug like Bolsonaro, especially, can do one as far as I'm concerned.

STYLOISRED

He can easily play as a 10 or as a false 9. Don't think Ten Hag likes using a false 9 system though.

Neymar's probably best operating from a central role now though. Him and Rashford wouldn't overlap. Him and Bruno might be an intriguing conundrum.
Ten Hag used one at Ajax to relative success(Premier league flop Dusan Tadic).

kouroux

He was similarly productive at Barca though. And still doing the business in CL in the occasions he did play.

It has more to do with the player’s quality, ancient Zlatan and Cavani did fine coming from Ligue 1, while Lacazette and Pepe flopped. It’s not a linear transition where you can expect x or y based on their previous numbers.
Neymar at Barca was a much better player than the current Neymar, don't forget about that.

Steve 007

doesn't make a whole heap of sense to me

we'd either have to shift Rashford up top permanently, or play Neymar as false 9 which doesn't suit us or him that well

and bringing in a player who expects to start isn't great for bedding in Garnacho either, who should be pushing for like 25 starts next season

this team needs a proper number 9
Exactly this. He’s 31, he’s not PL proven.
Rashford is. Tinkering with Rashford after the season of his life wouldn’t be good.
Genarcho is proving he could be a top tier player too.
We need a striker. We actually need Kane.

Skills

Snitch
I always thought he'd end up as a false 9. Surprised nobody's tried it yet considering Brazil's options up front

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I always thought he'd end up as a false 9. Surprised nobody's tried it yet considering Brazil's options up front
It has been tried by Tuchel and Galtier, he is good at it.

Skills

Snitch
It has been tried by Tuchel and Galtier, he is good at it.
Fair, so I think he'd be a great fit here for at least a season or 2.

We can wait another year for Kane to run down his contract and plug the gaps elsewhere.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fair, so I think he'd be a great fit here for at least a season or 2.

We can wait another year for Kane to run down his contract and plug the gaps elsewhere.
He is good at it but it's an actual false nine, meaning that he provides zero physicality(he is relatively small) or aerial presence. It's only a good idea if you play a heavy possession style. If we don't get Kane, I prefer a young (fit) striker.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't have any problem with Neymar barring his injuries.
I was pretty ignorant to be fair on his work ethic until @JPRouve explained. But we need a striker to overlay because he'll be hurt a lot I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.