NFL 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I wasn't sure where to put this but when I was the US recently, I caught the Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe's Undisputed show, and boy was it utter garbage. They basically talked about the same 3 topics every single day, the Cowboys, Brady and Lebron, and repeat the same arguments and points ad nauseum. From what I gather it has been like that for a while, and it has got even worse since the all live sports have been cancelled. An easy life though, to get paid fortunes to repeat the same material almost every day.
I like it quite. Though I look at it as the ultimate proof that professional sports are nothing else than soap operas for men.

They keep repeating the topics because that‘s what the audience wants to listen to.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I like it quite. Though I look at it as the ultimate proof that professional sports are nothing else than soap operas for men.

They keep repeating the topics because that‘s what the audience wants to listen to.
Do they though? As popular as the Cowboys are, I struggle to imagine that yet another repeat discussion on them was in high demand, when last season's NFL playoffs were underway and the Cowboys hadn't qualified.

Also it's not like the show gets impressive TV ratings. I think it gets routinely trounced by First Take, and struggles to even generate 50% of its ratings, despite the clear problems that show has, i.e. often getting too political for a sports show, the annoying moderator etc. Of course First Take and the Undisputed will heavily focus on the NFL and NBA; I was initially shocked that the MLB was largely ignored apart from during drugs or racism scandals, but now I understand why. But maybe the Undisputed branching out and discussing a wider range of topics within those 2 main sports would actually help it get better ratings? I also wonder if Fox paying Skip Bayless $25 million for 4 years was worth it, given those pretty underwhelming ratings.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Can't imagine having to listen to Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe. Even First Take is pretty shit. Especially nowadays when there's literally nothing going on. Unless the topic is something I'm interested in, I find both Stephen A Smith and Max Kellerman pretty annoying. Maybe Stephen A slightly more.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Yeah First Take isn't great either. Max Kellerman is excellent when it comes to boxing (he is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to that sport), but not so great when he has to make stupid points regarding the NFL or NBA just to oppose Stephen A Smith. And Stephen A Smith can be quite annoying, and it's embarrassing when ESPN use him as a studio analyst for boxing or MMA fights when he is pretty clueless about combat sports, although I have to admit it is hilarious when he trolls the Cowboys after they lose.

One clear advantage in it's favour over the Undisputed, is that it does discuss a much wider range of topics, even just within the NFL and NBA. Yes they also talk about the Cowboys, Brady and Lebron at lot which is not a surprise and is to be expected given the appeal of those teams / players, but to nowhere near the same degree as the Undisputed.

As the Undisputed is essentially Skip Bayless's show (he gets paid double what Shannon Sharpe does apparently), I'm sure that he controls the agenda, and so keeps choosing his 3 favourite topics to discuss day after day. It's an easy life for him and Shannon Sharpe, as they can just repeat almost exactly the same points that they made in the previous show.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Stephen A Smith is terrible. So is Skip for that matter.

Shannon is great though.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Don't mind Dan Patrick either. Btw, Tom Brady will be on Howard Stern this Wednesday.

For those not familiar with Howard, he's not a sports fan at all. But he's an excellent interviewer and getting his subjects to open up. Little disappointing this will be taking place over zoom rather than the studio.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
PTI is my favourite US sports show. Stephen A & Max are annoying. I hate Skip & Shannon - especially their opinions on Brady & LeBron respectively & how hypocritical they get with each. Also, Skip’s constant deep sighs, like he’s auditioning for Darth Vader, are extremely annoying.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
What do you think they are going to do if they’re late starting the season? Play within the division plus maybe a set of four from one of the other divisions they’re scheduled for?

There is a good chance the NCAA will cancel non-conference games. According OU AD, it seems there won’t be any team activities on campus until at least August. Starting a full season in January has even been mooted.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
PTI is my favourite US sports show. Stephen A & Max are annoying. I hate Skip & Shannon - especially their opinions on Brady & LeBron respectively & how hypocritical they get with each. Also, Skip’s constant deep sighs, like he’s auditioning for Darth Vader, are extremely annoying.
you can’t watch shannon with the expectation of real solid analysis

you just gotta watch and enjoy the drama

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
How dare anyone diss Shannon Sharpe! Guy is a legend.
I'm not criticise Shannon, he is very entertaining. Skiiiippp !

I'm just criticising the show that he's part of, which repeats the same unoriginal 'debates' regarding the Cowboys, Brady and Lebron over and over and over again, most likely because Skip Bayless chooses those same 3 topics every day.

When they actually branch out and discuss other topics, i.e. without Skip being overly critical of Lebron and Shannon compensating by being overly fanboyish towards him, they can actually have interesting enjoyable debates, but those examples are all too rare. When they revert to type and discuss one of those 3 topics, the show is trash.

Also this is NBA / basketball related, but I honestly think it's better when they get Lavar Ball on, and he talks about how Lonzo is better than Steph Curry, or how he would beat Jordan 1 on 1 (Neva lost), as least they're discussing non Cowboys, Brady and Lebron topics.

As I said earlier, spending most of their air time talking about those same 3 topics doesn't appear to be benefiting their TV ratings, which are far from amazing.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

I could live with NBA and PL but would fecking suck if the NFL season is impacted or cancelled :(

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I could live with NBA and PL but would fecking suck if the NFL season is impacted or cancelled :(
Expect a miserable year ahead for all sports. Can't see them allowing 70k plus people getting into stadiums when they are expecting a 2nd wave of Corona to hit once the weather cools down later in the year.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
10pm over here as well, ideal timing.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If you think I'm gonna waste my evenings by watching a bunch of TDs I've already seen then you're absolutely fecking right!
:lol: I’ve been watching loads of YouTube highlights and condensed games etc so I’ll definitely give some of these a look!

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
A Football Life has some great episodes.

Have watched plenty of SB replays but other sports on separate channels as well. EPL and Bundesliga matches and goals, MLB WS highlights. Even some TWIB from the 70s and 80s, loved watching that show on Saturdays before going out to play homerun derby and backyard ball with friends.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Can we see anything else happen than Burrow to Cinci at #1? They still have Dalton, don't they? I think with the veteran QBs still on the market at the moment, the QBs in this draft other than Tua and Burrow might fall a bit. But, for example, Cinci can also trade with Miami who has a shitload of first rounders, and add to their OL and defense which drastically needs improving. Bring in Cam or Winston and have some fun before drafting your franchise QB next year. Same principle can be applied to Miami tbh.

Any team that's likely to have a high draft pick next year such as the Bengals, Panthers, Jags, even Miami, will be eyeing Lawrence already imo. Strengthening your OL right now makes more sense than giving your new QB a battering each week.

Washington also doesn't really need an edge rusher, so they might trade back (although hard to see them pass on a talent like Young). Also, surely the Chargers are hoping to get Tua and need to hope that Miami picks an OL first? Very interesting, all this.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It was almost assumed Miami would have to jump to 3 to get Tua, now they’re saying some teams possibly including them have Herbert higher on their board. And LA supposedly loves Love.

So I don’t know what to think. NY or Detroit will probably be happy to trade back with one of those teams because they’ll think they could get a player they wanted there anyway, so the possibility for a trade at 3 or 4 is high. I don’t think DC passes on Young, he’s a generational talent.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
On Tua, I thought the biggest issue was that no teams have been able to test him because of Covid-19. He was the #1 prospect before Burrow exploded though, so anyone drafting him might be getting a steal. Most reports are that he's fully fit again, but think those are reports from his own camp obviously, so to be expected that they come out and say that.

It was almost assumed Miami would have to jump to 3 to get Tua, now they’re saying some teams possibly including them have Herbert higher on their board. And LA supposedly loves Love.

So I don’t know what to think. NY or Detroit will probably be happy to trade back with one of those teams because they’ll think they could get a player they wanted there anyway, so the possibility for a trade at 3 or 4 is high. I don’t think DC passes on Young, he’s a generational talent.
Interesting views. I thought Simmons and Okudah at #3 and #4 were almost locks as they're great talents and exactly the type of players the Giants and Lions have a need for. Both are also teams that won't be drafting a QB, so I don't think that Miami will feel the need to trade up unless they're sold on Burrow. Chargers might trade up ahead of Miami just to be sure they get their guy though. If they want Love, they can probably get him in the second round or so.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Interesting views. I thought Simmons and Okudah at #3 and #4 were almost locks as they're great talents and exactly the type of players the Giants and Lions have a need for. Both are also teams that won't be drafting a QB, so I don't think that Miami will feel the need to trade up unless they're sold on Burrow. Chargers might trade up ahead of Miami just to be sure they get their guy though. If they want Love, they can probably get him in the second round or so.
If NY trades back to 5, Miami takes Tua there, and Detroit takes Okudah then NY still gets Simmons, that sort of thing. With Detroit it’s riskier I guess, Okudah is the safest/highest floor guy in the draft aside from Young.

Love isn’t getting to round 2-book it. That’s my lock of the week.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Savage :lol:

lsd

The Oracle
Can't believe anyone wouldn't take Tua given the chance .

I think Burrows is very overrated and being judged on last season over his presious seasons .

Love is interesting though not sure he should be a top 3 pick

Status
Not open for further replies.