NFL 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
That’s an absolute travesty of a decision.

As @RobinLFC rightly pointed out earlier, this is saying that they believe there’s merit to the accusations but they don’t consider them as severe as gambling on games you’re not connected to.
Gambling on games by players is an absolute no. It destroys the integrity of competition over time (Pete Rose, Black Sox, etc...) And even if the Supreme Court here has legalized sports gambling, every player knows what is at stake if you try it. It is of absolute relevance to the NFL to stamp it out.

Sexual assault by players? A more heinous crime, absolutely. However I think it's insane that there's this huge emphasis on the NFL "getting it right" (Bill Burr) with regards to matters that are appropriate for a court of law, and if Watson was imprisoned for rape or sexual assault then this wouldn't be a discussion. Why there's more angst directed at the NFL than the 2 grand juries that declined to indict him for criminal charges...

I'm alone with this probably but I think the NFL is too dumb to adjudicate matters as serious as sexual assault. Leave matters of criminal intent for institutions designed to handle such matters (with varying levels of competence, sometimes good, sometimes shit), and focus on the stuff that actually impacts the game.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Gambling on games by players is an absolute no. It destroys the integrity of competition over time (Pete Rose, Black Sox, etc...) And even if the Supreme Court here has legalized sports gambling, every player knows what is at stake if you try it. It is of absolute relevance to the NFL to stamp it out.

Sexual assault by players? A more heinous crime, absolutely. However I think it's insane that there's this huge emphasis on the NFL "getting it right" (Bill Burr) with regards to matters that are appropriate for a court of law, and if Watson was imprisoned for rape or sexual assault then this wouldn't be a discussion. Why there's more angst directed at the NFL than the 2 grand juries that declined to indict him for criminal charges...

I'm alone with this probably but I think the NFL is too dumb to adjudicate matters as serious as sexual assault. Leave matters of criminal intent for institutions designed to handle such matters (with varying levels of competence, sometimes good, sometimes shit), and focus on the stuff that actually impacts the game.
I agree with you on the gambling, it’s the inconsistency and entire lack of logic that frustrates. Also, Zeke got 6 games after the NFL’s own investigation found no evidence against him if I remember correctly.

I’m also firmly of the view that the grand jury failing to take action is disgusting.

Goalfather

Why there's more angst directed at the NFL than the 2 grand juries that declined to indict him for criminal charges...
Have you considered that the two grand juries had legitimate reasons for not indicting Watson?

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
An important point though is the difference in criminal and civil proceedings. The bar for criminal conviction is higher. The grand juries didn’t find sufficient evidence was available to criminally convict. We can debate if that was truly the case all day, but even putting that aside, it’s clear from a civil perspective, where the bar of evidence required is lower, Watson’s camp clearly felt enough existed to settle. And again, one can debate all day if that was because he just wanted to close the episode and continue his career, or if that was because he was worried about the outcome.

In other words, failure to get a criminal conviction doesn’t meant he can’t necessarily be punished by the NFL.

Now whether the NFLs process is appropriate as a whole can certainly be debated. But the fact is they do, and so they need to do so in a consistent and fair manner. Which, with all things considered, has not led to a consistent scale ban for Watson in comparison to other bans issued, albeit for different things, in terms of severity.

roseguy64

This matter only came to a head when Deshaun Watson attempted to leave Houston

None of the women filed a criminal complaint around the time of the alleged incident

Two grand juries in two different counties when provided with all the statements surrounding the alleged incidents failed to find sufficient cause to indict Deshaun Watson

The NFL wants to make a public example of Watson but despite that, a former federal judge only banned him for 6 games

Watson has maintained his innocence throughout and could have quietly settled but he initially chose to fight and only chose to settle because he was going to lose another year of his prime playing the sport he loves.

I long for the day when we will return to treating allegations like allegations
feck you.

The judge agreed that Watson was guilty. He's a sexual assaulter and sexual predator. The end.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
100% agree on this take but context is everything. Ridley was away from the game at the time, they're just using him to set a deterrant example for the other players - which I get but is incredibly harsh on him, especially if you compare it to other supensions. They're basically saying "we don't care if you sexually assault, don't care if you use PEDs, don't care for domestic violence, as long as you don't bring the integrity of our own league into jeopardy". They don't care about anyting but their product.

DeAndre Hopkins recently got exactly the same amount of games suspension as Watson - because of PEDs.

Hackman2210

Quick Intro - Been a Rams fan since 1985 and the glory days of Eric Dickerson. We then left LA and went to St Louis, never was the same for me. Even though I went there to watch them play and beat the bears. Great to see the Rams back in LA but annoying to see the band wagon getting fuller by the second. Still the NFL is all about money.
Been all over the states watching the games - glad theres a UTD forum for the NFL.
I'm on board!!

Watson - 6 games,! Browns must be pissing themselves laughing and that could get cut to fewer on appeal. If it was me though, take the suspension and move on. If they can get 3-3 with 11 games to go thats a good position in that division.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Quick Intro - Been a Rams fan since 1985 and the glory days of Eric Dickerson. We then left LA and went to St Louis, never was the same for me. Even though I went there to watch them play and beat the bears. Great to see the Rams back in LA but annoying to see the band wagon getting fuller by the second. Still the NFL is all about money.
Been all over the states watching the games - glad theres a UTD forum for the NFL.
I'm on board!!

Watson - 6 games,! Browns must be pissing themselves laughing and that could get cut to fewer on appeal. If it was me though, take the suspension and move on. If they can get 3-3 with 11 games to go thats a good position in that division.
Welcome to the best thread on the Caf ;)

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm on board!!

The Rams were great fun to watch in the mid 80s. It was a shame Dickerson, Jim Everrett, Henry Ellard, and Flipper Anderson didn't all play at once.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I'm on board!!

Welcome to the best thread of all time!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don’t even care that it’s him, what’s with all these people being brought into the ownership group? What’s the point? What the hell does he know about football?

Hephaestus

I don’t even care that it’s him, what’s with all these people being brought into the ownership group? What’s the point? What the hell does he know about football?
Think he has a place in Colorado, dunno if he knows much about the NFL but he's not going to be involved in any actual decisions, it's probably a 1% stake. It's an investment for him and a way for your new owners to quickly get back a bit of the money they spent while retaining control and attracting some media attention by getting a famous sportsman to buy in.

Unless Wilson says he doesn't like Bottas' arse in which case Hamilton will seize control and cut him immediately. And rightly so.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Think he has a place in Colorado, dunno if he knows much about the NFL but he's not going to be involved in any actual decisions, it's probably a 1% stake. It's an investment for him and a way for your new owners to quickly get back a bit of the money they spent while retaining control and attracting some media attention by getting a famous sportsman to buy in.

Unless Wilson says he doesn't like Bottas' arse in which case Hamilton will seize control and cut him immediately. And rightly so.
He has a home in Aspen but so do lots of rich people.

I dunno, I just don’t like it, and like I say it’s not just because it’s him.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Fins will be fun to watch this year.

that is a hell of a throw to be fair. Be really interesting to see if Tua does finally take the leap
I wouldn't read much in to this, anybody in the NFL can make a 60 yard throw when you have the time to plant both feet and launch three-steps forward into it.

Tua has never demonstrated the arm strength to make these types of throws in real game situations when he's under pressure and off-platform or on the run.

Would be great to see him take a leap forward and put himself in the tier 2 QB conversation, but my guess is Tyreek will have to get used to catching quick balls underneath like Waddle did last year.

Hephaestus

He has a home in Aspen but so do lots of rich people.

I dunno, I just don’t like it, and like I say it’s not just because it’s him.
Looked up whether he had anymore ties other than living in Colorado and apparently he was at Superbowl 50 and described the Broncos as his team.

It's not the Broncos doing something new either. Rodgers has a share in the Milwaukee Bucks, Mahomes has a stake in the Kansas City Royals, Wilson owns the 49ers and has a minority share in the Seattle Sounders. And if you offered me some new ownership of United but with Tom Brady buying a 1% stake, I'd bite your fecking hand off.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Looked up whether he had anymore ties other than living in Colorado and apparently he was at Superbowl 50 and described the Broncos as his team.

It's not the Broncos doing something new either. Rodgers has a share in the Milwaukee Bucks, Mahomes has a stake in the Kansas City Royals, Wilson owns the 49ers and has a minority share in the Seattle Sounders. And if you offered me some new ownership of United but with Tom Brady buying a 1% stake, I'd bite your fecking hand off.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I wouldn't read much in to this, anybody in the NFL can make a 60 yard throw when you have the time to plant both feet and launch three-steps forward into it.

Tua has never demonstrated the arm strength to make these types of throws in real game situations when he's under pressure and off-platform or on the run.

Would be great to see him take a leap forward and put himself in the tier 2 QB conversation, but my guess is Tyreek will have to get used to catching quick balls underneath like Waddle did last year.
Tua has always had a good arm. His problem has been in inability to properly read increasingly complex defenses in the pros.

Charlie Foley

:lol:

Goalfather

I read quite a few of the 23 lawsuits filed against Watson and I must admit that the suspension of 6 games is way too lenient.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Laughed out loud reading that :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.