NFL Thread 2019

Carolina Red

Staff
The question was who instigated it. The answer is Rudolph. Of course that’s no justification no.
I would say it was instigated by Myles Garrett getting a late hit on Rudolph and taking him down to the ground in the final seconds of a game that was basically over.

Charlie Foley

Amazing how folks don't realize this. It's a real-life version of the meme "some of you have never been around _____, and it shows".

Any offensive lineman worth being called one would have done the exact same thing as Pouncey, and all you have to do is look at the twitter responses from current NFL players and HOF players to see how they feel about Pouncey's actions.
There are some logical contortions going on here to take as much of the blame as possible because off of Garrett. Rudolph’s actions weren’t enough to excuse his response. Garrett’s violence is almost its own starting point it elevates it so much: it’s like if A punched B and B attacked A with a weapon, then C went after B with a weapon (let’s equate a kick to the head with a helmet strike for a second) it takes an odd man to focus on A and C over B. Justifying weaponed violence with “I read somewhere that...” when we can all just watch the clip ourselves is particularly amusing. Some folks have never been in a fight or played a contact sport it seems.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Have you checked out the all time classic yet ?

Wasn't this the one that got the Miami radio announcer fired for being in favor of the fighting?

Amazing how folks don't realize this. It's a real-life version of the meme "some of you have never been around _____, and it shows".

Any offensive lineman worth being called one would have done the exact same thing as Pouncey, and all you have to do is look at the twitter responses from current NFL players and HOF players to see how they feel about Pouncey's actions.
For real. Your QB is your fecking boy, and you gotta look out for him. It's almost like family. Don't matter who was at fault at first, you come at my guy like that, then you're getting fecked up. Knowing myself, I'd probably have stomped him in the nuts.

Carolina Red

Staff
For real. Your QB is your fecking boy, and you gotta look out for him. It's almost like family. Don't matter who was at fault at first, you come at my guy like that, then you're getting fecked up. Knowing myself, I'd probably have stomped him in the nuts.
Exactly. Had somebody done that to my QB, I'd have been doing the same thing.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Wasn't this the one that got the Miami radio announcer fired for being in favor of the fighting?

Yeah that was Lamar Thomas who was a WR on the great early 90s teams. I believe he got sacked from his announcing gig after his comments. Best color commentary ever.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Exactly. Every QB in the league would want their o-linemen doing the same. Kinda sounds stupid, but you almost have needed to play the sport to properly understand the relationship between an o-lineman and his QB.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I couldn’t condone Pouncey’s actions, but I’m fairly certain any offensive lineman in the league would have reacted in a similar tone. Doesn’t excuse punishment but I don’t think that would stop them reacting in that way.

RoadTrip

There are some logical contortions going on here to take as much of the blame as possible because off of Garrett. Rudolph’s actions weren’t enough to excuse his response. Garrett’s violence is almost its own starting point it elevates it so much: it’s like if A punched B and B attacked A with a weapon, then C went after B with a weapon (let’s equate a kick to the head with a helmet strike for a second) it takes an odd man to focus on A and C over B. Justifying weaponed violence with “I read somewhere that...” when we can all just watch the clip ourselves is particularly amusing. Some folks have never been in a fight or played a contact sport it seems.
I agree. Completely doesn’t mean that because it’s a reaction it shouldn’t be punished, but you have to surely penalise the person which led to such a situation the most in the first place. And I can’t see how that isn’t Garrett two fold because 1) his tackle wasn’t necessary but also 2) his action elevated the situation way beyond what you’d normally see in such a situation.

I can think of plenty of guys who’ve reacted to a bad hit like Rudolph did. But I can’t think of many if any who’ve counter-reacted like Garrett.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Exactly. Every QB in the league would want their o-linemen doing the same.
And once Mason loses head protection, a hard object swung by a freakishly strong man becomes a weapon. If you charged a pitcher's mound swinging the bat, you'd get your ass beat. The guy that did the beating would still get suspended, but it wouldn't be as long as the guy taking a bat into the brawl.

But anyways... Kitchens is toast now for sure. You'd have thought he was anyway but they've got some wins in and theoretically could've made a run in the playoffs which might have saved him.. That ain't happening now.

They even had another ejection in this game earlier, plus all the penalties and TOs they seem to love.

RoadTrip

I don’t know what it is but there’s something about the Browns that makes them easy to dislike.

If I tried to explain I think it’s the air of arrogance in the way they conduct themselves despite being pretty crap this season. Given all the hype and expectation, and the fact that they actually do have a good roster, I’d be ashamed to behave how they do given the performances they’ve put up.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
And once Mason loses head protection, a hard object swung by a freakishly strong man becomes a weapon. If you charged a pitcher's mound swinging the bat, you'd get your ass beat. The guy that did the beating would still get suspended, but it wouldn't be as long as the guy taking a bat into the brawl.

But anyways... Kitchens is toast now for sure. You'd have thought he was anyway but they've got some wins in and theoretically could've made a run in the playoffs which might have saved him.. That ain't happening now.

They even had another ejection in this game earlier, plus all the penalties and TOs they seem to love.
They're gonna get Lincoln Riley.

Charlie Foley

Exactly. Every QB in the league would want their o-linemen doing the same. Kinda sounds stupid, but you almost have needed to play the sport to properly understand the relationship between an o-lineman and his QB.
Makes sense. It’s like looking after your outhalf in rugby (ROG especially!)or in Gaelic Football you need your fear láidir (strong man) as the O’Sés would say looking after your corner forwards or free takers. Donaghy became a full forward for Kerry because Gooch Cooper was looking for a bodyguard after the 05 final mugging. Ramp that up a scale when you factor in the mammoths who play gridiron.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

There were four other linemen there who didn't kick him while down.

Carolina Red

Staff
There were four other linemen there who didn't kick him while down.
Watch the film bud.

All the OL will not have seen what happened because as an OL, you’re looking the opposite direction of where the QB is being assaulted with a deadly weapon.

Pouncey and Decastro are on Garrett when it happens, then the other OL realize something is going on and immediate begin running in to protect their quarterback, they just all don’t get a chance to get their licks in.

You can try and moral high ground or virtue signal or whatever you want to call it on this all you want, but the fact is, you’ve got no clue what the relationship is between an OL and their QB. You attack that guy, and it’s personal.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Watch the film bud.

All the OL will not have seen what happened because as an OL, you’re looking the opposite direction of where the QB is being assaulted with a deadly weapon.

Pouncey and Decastro are on Garrett when it happens, then the other OL realize something is going on and immediate begin running in to protect their quarterback, they just all don’t get a chance to get their licks in.

You can try and moral high ground or virtue signal or whatever you want to call it on this all you want, but the fact is, you’ve got no clue what the relationship is between an OL and their QB. You attack that guy, and it’s personal.
I didn't even give my opinion on Pouncey. I just think it's just fair to point out that the four others didn't do anything like that. And the play was already over at the time and they might have seen what have happened.

Carolina Red

Staff
I didn't even give my opinion on Pouncey. I just think it's just fair to point out that the four others didn't do anything like that. And the play was already over at the time and they might have seen what have happened.
You’ve already said he should be suspended for a long time, then you try and point out that 4 OL didn’t come to the QBs defense. If you’re trying to say he did the right thing, you’re going about it in a strange way.

And for the record, as a former OL myself, Pouncey did the right thing.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
You’ve already said he should be suspended for a long time, then you try and point out that 4 OL didn’t come to the QBs defense. If you’re trying to say he did the right thing, you’re going about it in a strange way.

I wouldn't say what he did is the right thing to do. But it's also very easy to understand why he did it and I might have acted similar in the same situation. But such behaviour needs to be sanctioned and he deserves a suspension.

Carolina Red

Staff
I wouldn't say what he did is the right thing to do. But it's also very easy to understand why he did it and I might have acted similar in the same situation. But such behaviour needs to be sanctioned and he deserves a suspension.
For me, when we go back to the fact that Rudolph could have been seriously injured or killed by what Garrett did, on top of how an OL sees protecting the QB, there was only 1 option.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
For me, when we go back to the fact that Rudolph could have been seriously injured or killed by what Garrett did, on top of how an OL sees protecting the QB, there was only 1 option.
And I get why. That doesn't make it right, though. It's a fair suspension for Pouncey but I would in no way hold it against him in the future.

Charlie Foley

Excusable more than justifiable is what you’re saying? Fair enough
And I get why. That doesn't make it right, though. It's a fair suspension for Pouncey but I would in no way hold it against him in the future.

DavelinaJolie

As a former, amateur, OL no he didn't. DeCastro did the right thing dragging him off and pushing him away. Pouncey behaved like a thug. Protecting your QB is not the same as trying to beat a guy on the ground. Whilst it in no way justifies Garrett's response, Rudolph should have stayed away when they were separated as DeCastro was doing his job.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Watch the film bud.

Watch the film bud. DeCastro and Feiler are on Garrett when it happens, doing their job and protecting their QB.

Pouncey wasn’t even watching the incident at first and came flying in like a madman afterwards when it wasn’t needed anymore. If you really want to bang on about a QB-OL relationship, point out DeCastro instead of trying to prove that Pouncey did the right thing.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
As a former, amateur, OL no he didn't. DeCastro did the right thing dragging him off and pushing him away. Pouncey behaved like a thug. Protecting your QB is not the same as trying to beat a guy on the ground. Whilst it in no way justifies Garrett's response, Rudolph should have stayed away when they were separated as DeCastro was doing his job.
Amen.

Carolina Red

Staff
I’m very glad I didn’t play with other OL like you, then.
Watch the film bud. DeCastro and Feiler are on Garrett when it happens, doing their job and protecting their QB.

Pouncey wasn’t even watching the incident at first and came flying in like a madman afterwards when it wasn’t needed anymore. If you really want to bang on about a QB-OL relationship, point out DeCastro instead of trying to prove that Pouncey did the right thing.
1. Amazing you say that when I’ve credited out Decastro in the post you’ve quoted.

2. Pouncey is looking directly at the incident beginning with Rudolph being helmetless and watches as Garrett swings and connects with the helmet on Rudolph’s head. He is already moving toward the incident when this happens and is only a couple steps away from them, which is clear as day to see, beginning at the 11 second mark in this clip...

3. Feiler gets bumped out of the way after the helmet is swung, and then turns around to see the aftermath of Rudolph being hit by #65, to which he pushes #65 and then goes off screen following and squaring up on him. Decastro is pinning Garrett to the ground at this time.

Carolina Red

Staff
“Pouncey acted like a thug”... get out of here with that crap.
Indianapolis Colts center Ryan Kelly was asked on Friday what he would do in a similar situation; according to Colts beat reporters Stephen Holder of The Athletic and Mike Chappell of Fox 59/CBS 4, Kelly didn’t hesitate to explain how he’d defend Jacoby Brissett.

“If someone takes Jacoby’s helmet off and tries to beat the [expletive] out of him with it, I’m going to beat the [expletive] out of that guy,” Kelly said.

Holder said Kelly made the declaration “with conviction.”
Retired Ravens defensive back Lardarius Webb tweeted to Pouncey, “You gotta do what you gotta do. If they hit [Baltimore quarterback] Lamar [Jackson] with a helmet I swear it would be a riot at that exact moment.”
Los Angeles Chargers receiver Kennan Allen wrote, “Yeaaaah Pounce. Straight up don’t touch my QB let alone disrespect him like that. #MyBrothersKeeper”.
Corey Levin, a Denver Broncos reserve lineman, tweeted, “If your friends don’t have your back like Maurkice Pouncey...they ain’t your friends.”
Retired tackle Trai Essex, who spent most of his career with Pittsburgh and was teammates with Pouncey for two seasons wrote, “I’ll tell you what though, nobody has your back like @MaurkicePouncey!”
Hall of Fame Cowboys defensive tackle, Tony Casillas, tweeted, “Like everyone blown away by what happened last night #TNF Myles Garrett literally tried to kill the QB Mason Rudolph, no more football for him, and props to Pouncey for having his back.”
Hall of Famer and NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders said, “Just so yall know that inside a @NFL locker room @MaurkicePouncey is a hero. He protected his QB and he was willing to risk it all for his teammate. Ain’t many dogs like that left in the game.”

Sanders also wrote that Pouncey should be fined but not suspended

lsd

The Oracle
Pouncey gets paid 44 million to do one thing protect his quarterback at all times on the field .

A quarterback that has already been knocked out a couple of weeks previously .Not to mention its the second choice Quarterback as Big Ben already out for the season.

What Garrett did is the worst thing i have seen on the field and Pouncey reacted to that as he should.

I have no problem with what he did and i am sure no one connected with the Steelers have a problem nor would any other offensive linesmen playing in the league have a problem with it .

As a cowboys fan if Dak got bashed over his head like that i would expect Travis Frederick to take the attacker apart and earn his contract

RoadTrip

You say Rudolph should have stayed separated but to me, it’s totally not relevant to the discussion.

Is it true that if Rudolph didn’t react after the hit then chances are the whole thing would have been averted? Likely. But then just as likely Rudolph doesn’t react if he isn’t hit late. So mute point.

Plenty of QBs who get hit late react with anger. Whilst he should have controlled himself, Rudolph’s reaction is nothing out of the ordinary that we have all seen plenty of times.

The key point is that Garrett reacted in a ridiculous way. If Garrett had shoved Rudolph to the floor, no one would be talking about this much because that would have been a normal reaction. Hitting someone in the head with their helmet is not and is what differentiates this.

In terms of Pouncey, we can only speculate but i highly doubt if Garrett had reacted normally (I.e push Rudolph, or square up to him, or something alike) Pouncey would have reacted in the same way he did. Sure he would have jumped in to defend his guy but in my view his overreacting was a direct result of Garrett overreacting.

Therefore Garrett deservedly received the greatest punishment, Pouncey received the next biggest (which is fair, two wrongs don’t make a right, but heck if I was an o-lineman I’d have reacted how he did any day of the week) and others received fines.

In terms of accountability and in terms of who was the “worst” offender, I frankly don’t see how anyone could deduce a different fact pattern on this.

lsd

The Oracle
But late but just heard Cris Carter has been fired by Fox Sports which is a shame especially since he was the decent thing about that show

Kazi

But late but just heard Cris Carter has been fired by Fox Sports which is a shame especially since he was the decent thing about that show
Why’d he get fired? He’s better than that guy who’s up Lebron’s ass at all times

lsd

The Oracle
Why’d he get fired? He’s better than that guy who’s up Lebron’s ass at all times

Cant find out reports said he broke his own rule but then never said what the rule was .

Cris Canty seems to be replacing him

DavelinaJolie

“Pouncey acted like a thug”... get out of here with that crap.
So the other 51 players on the team that didn't go street on his ass are bad teammates huh? It's funny how the guy that was a buddy with Aaron Hernandez was the one acting like a thug.