Nicholas Jackson

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Wasn’t he pretty poor up until around January, and Villarreal were trying to punt him to Bournemouth? His game looks quite suited to the PL though.
Not really, you're getting it backwards. Even though Villarreal are a better side than Bournemouth, it was just another show of the EPL's financial dominance that last January the player was on his way to Bournemouth for £20M+ and would no doubt have multiplied his salary (€10K/wk at Villarreal) in the process as well.

It's true Jackson didn't score anywhere near as much as he should have in the first half of last season but from what I've heard even without the goals he was never playing badly so the potential was always there and that's what Bournemouth were willing to gamble big on him, at least big money by Bournemouth standards. It just so happened Jackson was injured at the time and wasn't set to return till March so Bournemouth decided against bringing him in because they were more in need of immediate reinforcements for their relegation fight.

What is the Chelsea starting lineup gonna be next season?
Right now:

Kepa, Chilwell, Colwill, Silva, James, Enzo, Santos, Mudryk, Nkunku, Madueke, Jackson

With players like Badiashile, Gallagher, Sterling etc. also as options for some of the positions. But there's still plenty of business to be done and ideally we'll sign a top midfielder to play next to Enzo instead of the teenager Santos, and maybe also someone like Kudus who can play the RW/ACM roles.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Right now:

Kepa, Chilwell, Colwill, Silva, James, Enzo, Santos, Mudryk, Nkunku, Madueke, Jackson

With players like Badiashile, Gallagher, Sterling etc. also as options for some of the positions. But there's still plenty of business to be done and ideally we'll sign a top midfielder to play next to Enzo instead of the teenager Santos, and maybe also someone like Kudus who can play the RW/ACM roles.
Thank you. Just thinking about my FPL team. Do you see Jackson or Nkunku getting more attacking returns? Also, which would take pens?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Thank you. Just thinking about my FPL team. Do you see Jackson or Nkunku getting more attacking returns? Also, which would take pens?
Jorginho and Havertz were our pen takers before, so Poch will have to select a brand new one. Could be Nkunku. Probably should be Nkunku.

Teja

Jorginho and Havertz were our pen takers before, so Poch will have to select a brand new one. Could be Nkunku. Probably should be Nkunku.
FPL wise, would you get Nknunku or Jackson? Will Jackson start at #9 with Mudryk, Nknuku, RW behind him?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
FPL wise, would you get Nknunku or Jackson? Will Jackson start at #9 with Mudryk, Nknuku, RW behind him?
There is nobody to challenge Nkunku’s time on the pitch. If Broja comes back from this injury strong, he and Jackson will compete and most likely rotate. Nkunku can also see time as a striker.

Teja

There is nobody to challenge Nkunku’s time on the pitch. If Broja comes back from this injury strong, he and Jackson will compete and most likely rotate. Nkunku can also see time as a striker.
But do you see Jackson starting at #9 this season given his link up with Mudryk and that because he's been doing well in friendlies?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
But do you see Jackson starting at #9 this season given his link up with Mudryk and that because he's been doing well in friendlies?
Yes, his preseason form has silenced the search for a more experienced striker. I think between him and Broja, the need for another striker has lessened. I just don’t know how much time Jackson will get compared to a healthy Broja.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If the penalties he's taken in out shootouts are anything to go by James should also be considered when making the decision.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If the penalties he's taken in out shootouts are anything to go by James should also be considered when making the decision.
I always want my striker to be on penalties. The pressure it can alleviate when they can stat pad their numbers, especially if they’re struggling for goals, is very useful. If Werner or Havertz had been taking our pens instead of Jorginho, they’d have been getting close to 20 goals a season.

Reezy

Supports
Chelsea
You honestly think it's OK for a Chelsea manager to not finish in a CL spot? Happy with 8th place? Excuse me but wtf are you on about. You don't spend the most money in the world on players and are fine with no CL football 2 years in a row. The owner, who's all about image and branding, will not stand for it.

Just to be clear. Liverpool have not strengthened. We haven't really strengthened. Brighton has weakened if anything. City too. Spurs are losing Kane. What exactly are you worried about from other teams? There are 5 CL spots. Chelsea not getting one would be a disaster and Poch would be fired. No doubt about it.
We’ve just finished 12th. Below Brighton, Villa, Brentford, as well as the usual suspects. We’ve also sold/lost half the squad and now need to integrate practically an entire team’s worth of new players, under a new manager who will have his own ideas and systems that he wants to implement.

We’re miles off City. Liverpool and Newcastle have absolutely strengthened, so have Villa. Arsenal have added Rice, Havertz, and Timber. You’ve added Onana, Mount, Holjund, and possibly Amrabat to come and you don’t think you’ve strengthened?

To be clear, I was referring to my personal expectations, not those of the club. And I’m only talking about a one year grace period whilst Pochettino implements his ideas - if we’re not back in the CL by his second year then that absolutely is a problem.

Reactions: Jippy

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
We’ve just finished 12th. Below Brighton, Villa, Brentford, as well as the usual suspects. We’ve also sold/lost half the squad and now need to integrate practically an entire team’s worth of new players, under a new manager who will have his own ideas and systems that he wants to implement.

We’re miles off City. Liverpool and Newcastle have absolutely strengthened, so have Villa. Arsenal have added Rice, Havertz, and Timber. You’ve added Onana, Mount, Holjund, and possibly Amrabat to come and you don’t think you’ve strengthened?

To be clear, I was referring to my personal expectations, not those of the club. And I’m only talking about a one year grace period whilst Pochettino implements his ideas - if we’re not back in the CL by his second year then that absolutely is a problem.
Liverpool were just as bad us last season until we effectively threw the season reappointing Lamps.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

There isn't a second season for him if he doesn't make the CL.

Liverpool went from 69 points to 92 points to 67 points with essentially the same squad. They were relatively not worse than you and they're squad is definitely worse. They've not improved their defense at all which was their biggest problem, they've lost their captain and I'm pressuming Fabinho is gone as well which means their squad is thinner and lost talismen figures in the dressing room in Milner.

he 12th place finish doesn't define your squad. You've won the CL finishing 6th. Chelsea has always been about managing the dressing room because the squad is always chocked full of quality.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
So you agree that Arsenal and Newcastle, both of whom were already miles ahead of us, have improved their squads and probably also agree with me that City are and will be way ahead of us no matter what Pochettino does this season? So that's three teams who are by definition stronger than us which then leaves us battling with United/Liverpool/Tottenham for the last CL place and you think it's some massive catastrophe and an automatic sack for the manager if we can't pull it off?

And are you disputing the fact we are in desperate need of a new midfielder? Mind you in midfield we have sold or otherwise lost Kante, Kovacic, Mount, Loftus-Cheek and even the loanee Zakaria from last season and as of yet haven't brought in anyone. Five players out and zero players in and you think it's just an excuse?

As for the 'culture' how the heck should you know what the club culture is like these days? Tuchel's sacking had nothing to do with the results and I'm 100% certain Potter wouldn't have been sacked if he didn't have us actually battling against fecking relegation. Qualifying for the CL is absolutely going to be the club's target for this season but if we do end up missing out it will be important to see how close we came and also make a review as to how and why it happened. If it's happened because our squad just took a while to get going at the start of the season but nearing the end we're playing some really good football with good results then of course he's not fecking getting sacked, but if Poch has us falling towards midtable again and it's clear we're way off pace for CL qualification then he will certainly be sacked and rightfully so.

Just out of curiosity, would you have been in favor of Erik Ten Hag getting sacked if you had failed to get top4 last season?
England and Spain will get 5 places for the 24/25 season onwards.

Yes I think that finishing below all those teams would be catastrophic. Without a doubt. Newcastle should not be finishing above you. They're squad is worse and their money isn't even in play yet. They're not on the same level. Spurs neither. Liverpool had a similar fall as you last season and are also looking to bounce back. They've done it before which both proves that a team can go to shit from being good (as we did under Moyes) but you can also bounce back to contention despite having been shit the previous season.

Depends on how EtH would have failed to get top 4. We're not Chelsea. We don't operate the same way. It doesn't matter what we think should be done. For the past 20 years Chelsea have sacked their manager at the first hint of failure. United, since SAF, has allowed their manager a grace period. That's just a fundamental difference between the two clubs. EtH, if he fails to finish in the top 5 this season he will most definitely get the sack.

It's true Jackson didn't score anywhere near as much as he should have in the first half of last season but from what I've heard even without the goals he was never playing badly so the potential was always there and that's what Bournemouth were willing to gamble big on him, at least big money by Bournemouth standards..
Big money :lol:

It was about standard money for Bournemouth terms, they’ve signed 13 players for 15 million plus. Let’s not pretend they were making some huge gamble.
Chelsea had no decent CL competition for the bloke, for good reason.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Jackson and nkunku both are huge upgrade from what we had last season. Both have potential to give us 20+ g+a each. Once again jackson reminds me lot of anelka.

Running through channels,giving out let for passers in wide areas and seemed to have good spatial awareness to make himself always available in passing lanes. Have the knack to move away from cbs.

Able to steal the limelight from nkunku says it all. Became already fans favourite. I truly believe chelsea are on our way to finish in cl spot coming season even if we missed out on caicedo. :drool:

bringbackbebe

Jackson and nkunku both are huge upgrade from what we had last season. Both have potential to give us 20+ g+a each. Once again jackson reminds me lot of anelka.

Running through channels,giving out let for passers in wide areas and seemed to have good spatial awareness to make himself always available in passing lanes. Have the knack to move away from cbs.

Able to steal the limelight from nkunku says it all. Became already fans favourite. I truly believe chelsea are on our way to finish in cl spot coming season even if we missed out on caicedo. :drool:
Must be finally exciting to have strikers who can actually finish a clear chance. Can't wait for us to get there!

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Big money :lol:

It was about standard money for Bournemouth terms, they’ve signed 13 players for 15 million plus. Let’s not pretend they were making some huge gamble.
Chelsea had no decent CL competition for the bloke, for good reason.
Umm... Had the move gone through in January the fee of 23M€ + add-ons would still have been Bournemouth's second biggest transfer ever, only after Jefferson Lerma. While they've signed a few others around the 20M€ mark over the years it doesn't make the significance any less.

Chelsea have signed a bunch of players around 80M€ or more but whenever we make a signing that big it feels very significant. The same ballpark figure for a club like Bournemouth is 20-25M€.

Umm... Had the move gone through in January the fee of 23M€ + add-ons would still have been Bournemouth's second biggest transfer ever, only after Jefferson Lerma. While they've signed a few others around the 20M€ mark over the years it doesn't make the significance any less.

Chelsea have signed a bunch of players around 80M€ or more but whenever we make a signing that big it feels very significant. The same ballpark figure for a club like Bournemouth is 20-25M€.
We don’t know it was exactly 23m though as it never went through, and Bournemouth tend to have a strategy of buying at 22.something million, which they have done with Solanke, Ake, Ouattara & Zabarnyi. It’d have been another in a regular line of Bournemouth signings at that price.
Chelsea made only ever made 5 signings at 80m > and then the drop off is significant to 70m and below. Bournemouth have a tonne (14) of signings within a 10m difference of that 23m, you have just one signing within 10m of your 80m number, so of course 80m for Chelsea is much more significant, though that is less likely to remain the case if you keep spending like the past 18 months.

The point remains the same regardless, it wasn’t some big record gamble for Bournemouth, it was a regular strategy for them.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
We don’t know it was exactly 23m though as it never went through, and Bournemouth tend to have a strategy of buying at 22.something million, which they have done with Solanke, Ake, Ouattara & Zabarnyi. It’d have been another in a regular line of Bournemouth signings at that price.
Chelsea made only ever made 5 signings at 80m > and then the drop off is significant to 70m and below. Bournemouth have a tonne (14) of signings within a 10m difference of that 23m, you have just one signing within 10m of your 80m number, so of course 80m for Chelsea is much more significant, though that is less likely to remain the case if you keep spending like the past 18 months.

The point remains the same regardless, it wasn’t some big record gamble for Bournemouth, it was a regular strategy for them.
Agree to disagree then.

I think that a £20M+ investment would have been big for a club who only have an annual revenue around £100-130M in the years they've been a PL club. You are free to think differently. I never said it was unprecedented, just that it would have been a big transfer by their standards. But it never happened so that's that.

Either way I'm happy the Bournemouth move never went through and in the end we got him for us, looks a really good player based on what we've seen so far. If he keeps up the same level of performances going into the season 37M€ could turn out to be a real bargain.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I do enjoy the levels of Chelsea optimism after last season, it’s impressive. Fair play
It's a brand new team with a brand new coach with a load young new players who shown good levels in preseason but not yet been worn down by the expectations of actual PL football. This is exactly the time to be optimistic :)

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It's a brand new team with a brand new coach with a load young new players who shown good levels in preseason but not yet been worn down by the expectations of actual PL football. This is exactly the time to be optimistic :)
Actually the feeling of it literally cannot get any worse must be amazing.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Actually the feeling of it literally cannot get any worse must be amazing.
Not really because it isn't true. Last season I kept thinking it can't get any worse than this but it kept getting worse :lol:

Last edited:

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I do enjoy the levels of Chelsea optimism after last season, it’s impressive. Fair play
Well after last season it can't exactly be getting any worse, now can it?

And if anything I would say most Chelsea fans seem to be just cautiously optimistic while also realizing there are some potential hurdles along the way too. I don't think many in our camp are expecting us to be guaranteed top4 performers this season, if anything the high expectations seem to come primarily from fans of other clubs who just point out the amount of money we've spent and claim we should be performing really well because of it and that anything else is going to be a big failure.

TsuWave

It’s a half decent touch but this comparison is insulting to Berbatov
You’re taking the piss. That was an acrobatic touch to control it behind his right leg and body with his left foot then he laid it off and pass with the right. That was joga bonito stuff. Berba would do well to pull that off

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You’re taking the piss. That was an acrobatic touch to control it behind his right leg and body with his left foot then he laid it off and pass with the right. That was joga bonito stuff. Berba would do well to pull that off

Amazing still.

Reezy

Supports
Chelsea
There isn't a second season for him if he doesn't make the CL.

Liverpool went from 69 points to 92 points to 67 points with essentially the same squad. They were relatively not worse than you and they're squad is definitely worse. They've not improved their defense at all which was their biggest problem, they've lost their captain and I'm pressuming Fabinho is gone as well which means their squad is thinner and lost talismen figures in the dressing room in Milner.

he 12th place finish doesn't define your squad. You've won the CL finishing 6th. Chelsea has always been about managing the dressing room because the squad is always chocked full of quality.
And during that period that you’re referring to re. Liverpool’s league form, did they gut the majority of their squad and change their manager? Sign practically an entire new first XI? Undergo a forced change in ownership and endure mass backroom upheaval?

The situations aren’t really comparable.

What I’m saying is that I hope the board show the same level patience in Pochettino that Liverpool’s board rightly showed Klopp. Granted Klopp had a lot more credit in the bank, but he was also afforded time to build his squad & get his ideas across when he joined the club, and Liverpool were richly rewarded for it.

As I say, that’s what I hope to see, not necessarily what I expect. Time will tell if this current Chelsea regime is as trigger-happy as the last.

troylocker

Wasn’t he pretty poor up until around January, and Villarreal were trying to punt him to Bournemouth? His game looks quite suited to the PL though.
He had scored 4 goals in 39 games for Villareal in his career up til 26/4 this year, and then went for a hot streak of 8 goals in 8 games to finish off the season. Before Villareal he had done nothing (Villareal B and 2nd div. stuff).
Chelsea has just spent 35M on a 22 year old that has been good for a month in his entire career. You would get him for a M or two this time last year. If he gets serious minutes at Chelsea I would be more than a little surprised.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
He had scored 4 goals in 39 games for Villareal in his career up til 26/4 this year, and then went for a hot streak of 8 goals in 8 games to finish off the season. Before Villareal he had done nothing (Villareal B and 2nd div. stuff).
Chelsea has just spent 35M on a 22 year old that has been good for a month in his entire career. You would get him for a M or two this time last year. If he gets serious minutes at Chelsea I would be more than a little surprised.
I take it you've never watched him play?

Prepare to be surprised. :wenger:

bringbackbebe

Frankly, I hope he's a pre-season Drogba as well but he definitely looks more than that. He has qualities that will fit right into this Chelsea team - not just in scoring but the way he brings others into play. Pressure will be off on him too since he'll be a backup to Nkunku. I would not mind him being a backup to Hojland at United for the price they paid for him.

STYLOISRED

Mentality counts for so much in top level football that I won't be surprised if he takes to the Premier league like a duck to water and prove to be an astute buy. I still very much doubt it and i predict that he will end up being more of a squad player for them.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Frankly, I hope he's a pre-season Drogba as well but he definitely looks more than that. He has qualities that will fit right into this Chelsea team - not just in scoring but the way he brings others into play. Pressure will be off on him too since he'll be a backup to Nkunku. I would not mind him being a backup to Hojland at United for the price they paid for him.
I would think Nkunku will play primarily behind the number 9 in more of a 'second striker' / number 10 role so I doubt him and Jackson are ruling each other out.

But there's still a chance we might somehow end up with Vlahovic if we're forced to take him as part of a swap deal for a certain Belgian wanker as has been rumored in the last couple of days so if that happens Jackson will have a lot more competition for minutes.

troylocker

I take it you've never watched him play?

Prepare to be surprised. :wenger:
Not much, but I handle surprises quite well, so good for you if I'm wrong. Will he start over Nkunku, Broja and Lukaku (should he return)?
Looking lively in a couple of preseason friendlies is nice, but not much more than that.