g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Nicholas Jackson

Zed is not dead

My point is his technical qualities were fully on display as he set up two gilt-edged chances - the first touch backheel for Chilwell onto and then through on goal, and the adjustment to a long ball followed by chest control and a perfectly weighted half-volley through ball to Sterling to put him in on goal.

If he's losing the ball because he's trying to create excellent chances via his quality on the ball then I won't complain. Also for all your fixation on his having "lots of miscontrols", according to WhoScored he was dispossessed twice and completed 86% of his passes. Obviously the opposition is a factor but in what world is this "objectively bad"? Throwing around phrases like this don't really help your argument since you haven't actually provided any tangible or objective evidence in favour of your point?
Well mate sorry for just watching the game and seeing what’s in my view an athletic and hard working striker but with technical abilities not being among his best qualities.
Several posters on the match thread also said that Jackson wasn’t good during first half.
He left the ball behind him while trying to run at least a couple of times for instance.

Look I don’t know why you’re overreacting, I’m just saying let’s wait a little bit before calling him a great striker or a shit striker.

He showed some good things against a team that doesn’t even have a home stadium fit for PL games but he also showed some not so good things

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
He's looked good so far but Broja will be better.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Well mate sorry for just watching the game and seeing what’s in my view an athletic and hard working striker but with technical abilities not being among his best qualities.
Several posters on the match thread also said that Jackson wasn’t good during first half.
He left the ball behind him while trying to run at least a couple of times for instance.

Look I don’t know why you’re overreacting, I’m just saying let’s wait a little bit before calling him a great striker or a shit striker.

He showed some good things against a team that doesn’t even have a home stadium fit for PL games but he also showed some not so good things
No offense but this is perhaps the saddest / most pathetic appeal to authority I've ever seen in my life?

You're obviously entitled to your opinion - but you also were the one who responded to me initially and now you're accusing me of overreacting when I ask for actual evidence backing up your claims that go beyond the collective knee-jerk reactions of an opposition forum and instead have some basis in reality?

Again I don't give a solitary feck if he's overrunning the ball on occasion if he's also producing extremely high-level touches that lead directly to 1v1 opportunities. Also again, it was a total of two dispossessions for the match, so calling it "objectively bad" remains hilariously misguided.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
He's an excellent player. Works so hard off the ball tackling back and is constantly making runs in behind - genuinely I've been blown away at his workrate. Also he's a tremendous dribbler and his first touch is excellent - really does look like a nightmare for most CBs.

Honestly I don't think it's fair to say his decision-making is raw - feels like he's set up teammates regularly with really refined and delicate touches.

His finishing definitely looked better in preseason, and I think if you had to pick out one specific flaw it's that he doesn't look to be especially good at directing his heading. But honestly I think he does so so much for the team in terms of moving us up the pitch via his excellent hold-up play - even if he doesn't become a prolific scorer I think he'd still be a very valuable player.
There's many things he's good at but this is an insane take. We must have very different criteria for what we consider to be "tremendous dribblers"

Zed is not dead

No offense but this is perhaps the saddest / most pathetic appeal to authority I've ever seen in my life?

You're obviously entitled to your opinion - but you also were the one who responded to me initially and now you're accusing me of overreacting when I ask for actual evidence backing up your claims that go beyond the collective knee-jerk reactions of an opposition forum and instead have some basis in reality?

Again I don't give a solitary feck if he's overrunning the ball on occasion if he's also producing extremely high-level touches that lead directly to 1v1 opportunities. Again, it was a total of two dispossessions for the match, so calling it "objectively bad" remains hilariously misguided.
You’re the one proclaiming your love for Nicolas Jackson so you’re the one with the more bias here. I literally said I was happy for the kid getting his first goal so I fail to see where I’ve been knee jerk.

I watched the game and saw a player with average dribbling technique and okay first touch, being able to compensate through his athleticism and workrate. Referring to the match thread is not a cry for authority but it’s simply a way to show that I was not the only one seeing it.
I still think he had a bad first half and that his technical attributes aren’t his strongest abilities. He got better in the second half, created 2 chances and scored a goal. That’s it, all I’m saying

We have a different assessment of his game, so just enjoy what you saw of him and enjoy your team’s victory

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Let’s not get carried away. Drogba was a different gravy.
It’s way too early to draw any parallels between Jackson and Drogba. Let the kid adapt to the team and the league first
My point is. Drogba had half's and even games where he couldn't control a football. Did it also not take Drogba time to adapt.. ;)

Teja

He's really good, works his socks off, good link up play, strong, quick, makes good runs. I don't think he'll be a world beater but will be the necessary glue for the other stars to shine.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
You’re the one proclaiming your love for Nicolas Jackson so you’re the one with the more bias here. I literally said I was happy for the kid getting his first goal so I fail to see where I’ve been knee jerk.

I watched the game and saw a player with average dribbling technique and okay first touch, being able to compensate through his athleticism and workrate. Referring to the match thread is not a cry for authority but it’s simply a way to show that I was not the only one seeing it.
I still think he had a bad first half and that his technical attributes aren’t his strongest abilities. He got better in the second half, created 2 chances and scored a goal. That’s it, all I’m saying

We have a different assessment of his game, so just enjoy what you saw of him and enjoy your team’s victory
I never claimed to be unbiased!

We can agree to disagree. I don't mean to be antagonistic or a dickhead or anything; just feel generally like the burden of proof is on the person responding generally.

Hope you have a great weekend mate

Last edited:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I fecking love this guy. He's a bit raw at the moment but I'm convinced he's going to be fecking special for us in the years to come..... Unless he gets injured, he did fail his medical at Bournemouth after all.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Haven't felt this connected to a player in a while. Over the moon that he got his much deserved goal, great way to roll into a weekend!
His goal was the cherry on the cake. The two main things I really wanted tonight was 3 points and a Jackson goal. Hopefully he goes on a little run.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

Stats against all strikers for the last 365 days. You were saying?
1.4 successful take-ons per 90 is a tremendous dribbler now? Christ.

I remember when the likes of Neymar, Hazard, and Messi were averaging around 5 or 6 successful take-ons per match. Times must be tough at Stamford Bridge these days

LM7

Supports
chelsea

I remember when the likes of Neymar, Hazard, and Messi were averaging around 5 or 6 successful take-ons per match. Times must be tough at Stamford Bridge these days
While you are at it, why not compare his tackling number's to Kante's? You are comparing his dribbling numbers to the world's greatest playmakers. Those dribbling numbers are great for a center forward. Compare his stat to Haaland, lewandowski, Kane.

Btw, he is in only his 2nd full senior season. This is a 22 year old player that is still improving and already has elite qualities that are valuable in a striker.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not sure he’s going to be their main number 9 for the coming years as he lots to prove as a striker but he’s a good player to have in any squad - quick, strong, good touch and seems to very intelligent when linking up.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
He played mostly as second striker or wide forward for villareal. But he looks good as a striker for us. If we add new striker or broja come back strong he is very well capable of playing in no. 10 or second striker or wide forward role. That's his advantage.

While you are at it, why not compare his tackling number's to Kante's? You are comparing his dribbling numbers to the world's greatest playmakers. Those dribbling numbers are great for a center forward. Compare his stat to Haaland, lewandowski, Kane.
To be fair to the poster, he was responding to someone who called him a ”tremendous dribbler”, not a good dribbler or a decent dribbler for a centre forward.

If someone calls Mount a tremendous tackler, I’d absolutely expect someone to compare him to Kante.

Oranges038

Mediocre player from what I saw
You can't say that. You're supposed to proclaim how great he is after 3 games and compare him to Drogba, especially after the one where they played what could be one of the shittest team to ever grace the PL.

SambaBoy

He's an excellent player. Works so hard off the ball tackling back and is constantly making runs in behind - genuinely I've been blown away at his workrate. Also he's a tremendous dribbler and his first touch is excellent - really does look like a nightmare for most CBs.

Honestly I don't think it's fair to say his decision-making is raw - feels like he's set up teammates regularly with really refined and delicate touches.

His finishing definitely looked better in preseason, and I think if you had to pick out one specific flaw it's that he doesn't look to be especially good at directing his heading. But honestly I think he does so so much for the team in terms of moving us up the pitch via his excellent hold-up play - even if he doesn't become a prolific scorer I think he'd still be a very valuable player.
Been very impressed by him. His touches to teammates are excellent when it's first time and little lay offs but when there's no-one close to him, he can struggle to lock it in and often gives it away. But to be fair, that's one of the hardest traits in football and he's still very young and developing.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Ah! I think that's the game I started hating Chelsea after seeing that rat faced manager from Porto beating us comfortably. Really liked Chelsea up until that point.
Totally understandable. We were suddenly a huge threat to United. We were just a decent team that played nice football before that.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah he looks very promising. It must be an absolute breath of fresh air to go from the worst forward ever in Havertz to an all action Jackson. What a contrast! :lol:
Watching Jackson actually makes me realise how little we were getting from Havertz up front.

Chief123

Watching Jackson actually makes me realise how little we were getting from Havertz up front.
A lot of Arsenal fans seem to be going through a similar journey with him. Despite being trash they are refusing or unwilling to see it.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Would generally think it's more or less implied that he should be compared to other players in the same position? Obviously dribble volume is going to be lower for CFs given how rarely they are isolated 1v1.

To be fair to the poster, he was responding to someone who called him a ”tremendous dribbler”, not a good dribbler or a decent dribbler for a centre forward.

If someone calls Mount a tremendous tackler, I’d absolutely expect someone to compare him to Kante.
See above - perhaps it's my fault if I was unclear. That said, don't necessarily agree with your analogy since Mount and Kante are/were both ideally used as 8s anyhow.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Bad miss but still think he will be class.