Gaming Nintendo 3DS vs PS Vita thread.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Hello,

We are contacting you because you have preordered the article "Nintendo 3DS XL + The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D Limited Edition" We regret to inform you that due to a supply problem, we are not able to deliver on the date indicated in the order confirmation email.

Your order should be sent in the course of next week, when we should receive new examplaires of this article. Be assured (e) we aim to ship orders from our customers as quickly as possible.

As soon as your order has left our distribution center, we will e-mail confirming the date, content and shipping method.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused by this delay independent of our will and thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Customer Service Amazon.fr
Damnit.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
My order would be Majoras mask, link to the past, OOT, Links awakening, Wind Waker

I've never played Skyward Sword or Twiglight princess though.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
My order would be Majoras mask, link to the past, OOT, Links awakening, Wind Waker

I've never played Skyward Sword or Twiglight princess though.
I think there's a lot of hate for Skyward Sword but I loved it, even with it being motion controls. Obviously I just loved it for being a really good game rather than the people who dislike it and think it's a bad Zelda game. Guess it's a completely different angle.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
The only zeldas I failed to get into were the two on the DS, spirit tracks and the other one. Usually the handhelds ones are superb. Loved the new version of link to the Past and the minish cap was great too.

All in all its an incredibly consistent series, so I have no doubts I would like SS and TP

Member 39557

feck feck feck didn't realise it's out already!
Only came out today mate. Mine was shipped a day early, but I didn't take advantage of it by playing it or anything silly like that as I'm determined to finish some current games first.

Damien

Staff
Well that's a fecker. My sympathies mate, I've had that before and it really sucks :(
Not too bothered as long as I get it in the end. That DS :drool: Just means it'll probably come a week later than I thought (I thought it'd probably come next week, now it'll probably be the week after if lucky)

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think there's a lot of hate for Skyward Sword but I loved it, even with it being motion controls. Obviously I just loved it for being a really good game rather than the people who dislike it and think it's a bad Zelda game. Guess it's a completely different angle.
Yeah I generally agree. I think the motion controls were fine, actually on the Wii-U they seem to work even better.

But there is something about it that holds it back from being a 'great' zelda game. Maybe it's the fact that there's not a huge amount of exploring needed and the dungeons could be pretty straightforward. Like a said above, great game overall, but only a good Zelda game for me.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I've never played Majoras Mask either, played Ocarina but not properly/much.

I've put tons of hours into Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, but must say I think I prefer the 2D Zeldas (appreciate I haven't played the supposed best one(s)).

But A Link To The Past and A Link Between Worlds are absolutely unbelievable games. Loved both. Also really liked Spirit Tracks.
I honestly much prefer the 2d ones. I mean, I like Ocarina of Time, an excellent game by any standard, but I didn't adore it like most seem to.

A Link To The Past, Links Awakening and the Oracle pair were immense games.

Might get Majoras Mask sometime next week.

Redlambs

Not too bothered as long as I get it in the end. That DS :drool: Just means it'll probably come a week later than I thought (I thought it'd probably come next week, now it'll probably be the week after if lucky)
Yeah, excellent choice there ;)

I'm holding off on a new 3DS just yet though, I want to see if popular demand forces them to do a snes style XL version. You'll have to let us know if the new 3D screen really does improve it much too.

Member 39557

I'm holding off on a new 3DS just yet though, I want to see if popular demand forces them to do a snes style XL version. You'll have to let us know if the new 3D screen really does improve it much too.
I was tempted, but their revisions are usually followed by a completely new console a year or two later. I'm still happy with my blue XL anyway :).

I'll probably change my mind though when they inevitably release an amazing game that won't run on the old 3DS.

Member 39557

You played A Link Between Worlds?
I've got this, Ocarina and Majoras mask all still in their wrappers.

Maybe I shouldn't play them and sell them to somebody like @Olly in 10 years time for an extortionate amount of money?

Damien

Staff

Will do. Yeah, that's what I was going to do originally - hold off and see - but couldn't resist in the end. I'm sure they will do a SNES style XL version. Probably had it planned this way from the beginning to try and increase sales.

Redlambs

Well it's way too easy and the dungeon design isn't up to the level of older Zeldas, plus like Skyward Sword the exploration aspect seems too straightforward.

Still an excellent job updating (for me the best) Zelda game, I suppose it was always going to have a hard time matching up.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
As for ALBW, I've never understood the whole difficulty = quality that a lot of gamers seem to adopt. I understand that challenge can be great, and I definitely agree that games needn't be as dumbed down as they often are today but sometimes easier is better. There's definitely a balance to be found and more challenging isn't always the best thing.

I know no one here is saying that that's the case necessarily. I didn't find the game challenging, but I found it incredibly charming. It still required you to think, you still had to solve puzzles - not having to pause for hours or not having to try 30 things before lucking into the right way to do something doesn't make it a worse game though I don't think.

Some games get that challenge spot on and are better for it, but not every game needs to be hard. Plus, I see some games that are said to be better than others cause they're harder when in reality they were harder because of limitations in hardware/software, have poor mechanics or are simply flawed.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
As for ALBW, I've never understood the whole difficulty = quality that a lot of gamers seem to adopt. I understand that challenge can be great, and I definitely agree that games needn't be as dumbed down as they often are today but sometimes easier is better. There's definitely a balance to be found and more challenging isn't always the best thing.

I know no one here is saying that that's the case necessarily. I didn't find the game challenging, but I found it incredibly charming. It still required you to think, you still had to solve puzzles - not having to pause for hours or not having to try 30 things before lucking into the right way to do something doesn't make it a worse game though I don't think.

Some games get that challenge spot on and are better for it, but not every game needs to be hard. Plus, I see some games that are said to be better than others cause they're harder when in reality they were harder because of limitations in hardware/software, have poor mechanics or are simply flawed.
Some of my favourite games are easy as feck. Difficulty doesn't always matter, long as the games have fun gameplay, or brilliant stories.

Redlambs

Some of my favourite games are easy as feck. Difficulty doesn't always matter, long as the games have fun gameplay, or brilliant stories.
Indeed. However challenge is more fun no? A link to the past is more like a walkthrough and that's disappointing.

Of course I'm not talking about difficulty for the sake of it, or shit like just tacking an extra hit on enemies. For example is A link to the past really that hard? No, but there's challenge in some dungeons and bosses but most importantly the challenge and fun comes from exploring and finding the heart pieces and thinking back to hours past where you saw that rogue piece of heart and finally have the tool to figure out how to get it.

ALBW doesn't really have that, you are kind of lead through and nothing is that hard to find. You can't deny it's not watered down.

And there's a difference between being dumbed down as a game and being made easier, often the latter comes into the former, but when I talk dumbed I talk game mechanics. I agree with both of you, I hate artificial attempts at difficulty boosting and not every game should or needs to be hard as nails, especially not a Zelda game.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Indeed. However challenge is more fun no? A link to the past is more like a walkthrough and that's disappointing.

Of course I'm not talking about difficulty for the sake of it, or shit like just tacking an extra hit on enemies. For example is A link to the past really that hard? No, but there's challenge in some dungeons and bosses but most importantly the challenge and fun comes from exploring and finding the heart pieces and thinking back to hours past where you saw that rogue piece of heart and finally have the tool to figure out how to get it.

ALBW doesn't really have that, you are kind of lead through and nothing is that hard to find. You can't deny it's not watered down.

And there's a difference between being dumbed down as a game and being made easier, often the latter comes into the former, but when I talk dumbed I talk game mechanics. I agree with both of you, I hate artificial attempts at difficulty boosting and not every game should or needs to be hard as nails, especially not a Zelda game.
Some games yes, of course, challenge is fantastic. Racing games as a prime example, would be pointless if the races never reached a challenging level. I don't mean difficulty is bad, just not always important.

Agree with difficulty for the sake of it, pointless, and why I often avoid the "extra hard modes on videogames, on the flipside, I avoid extra easy too. As for Zelda the highlights for me are in the puzzling and exploring, over the bosses and such. Though, their bosses are usually a lot of fun.

Redlambs

Some games yes, of course, challenge is fantastic. Racing games as a prime example, would be pointless if the races never reached a challenging level. I don't mean difficulty is bad, just not always important.

Agree with difficulty for the sake of it, pointless, and why I often avoid the "extra hard modes on videogames, on the flipside, I avoid extra easy too. As for Zelda the highlights for me are in the puzzling and exploring, over the bosses and such. Though, their bosses are usually a lot of fun.
Exactly. And that's why I don't think ALBW is as good as the likes of Past, Ocarina and Majora's, the exploration and dungeons are way simpler and just not quite as interesting.

That being said currently I rank it only behind those off the top of my head, so that's hardly damning praise ;) It's an excellent game, but it's followed the nowadays Nintendo trend of making games more simpler than ever before.

Btw I've played the first 10mins of MM, and what an absolutely amazing job they've done. I thought the Ocarina remake couldn't be bettered, boy was I wrong! I feel sad for those who can't get on with the 3D too, it's so brilliantly implemented here. I've also cracked out the cpp for the camera too ;)

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Exactly. And that's why I don't think ALBW is as good as the likes of Past, Ocarina and Majora's, the exploration and dungeons are way simpler and just not quite as interesting.

That being said currently I rank it only behind those off the top of my head, so that's hardly damning praise ;) It's an excellent game, but it's followed the nowadays Nintendo trend of making games more simpler than ever before.

Btw I've played the first 10mins of MM, and what an absolutely amazing job they've done. I thought the Ocarina remake couldn't be bettered, boy was I wrong! I feel sad for those who can't get on with the 3D too, it's so brilliantly implemented here. I've also cracked out the cpp for the camera too ;)
Heh, kind of goes back to the Final Fantasy discussion, in that even the 5th or 6th best one of them is still a top class game.

I'll have to dig out my copy of ALBW and see for myself I guess, though I'm planning on getting MM during the week.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Have you not played ALBW yet? Have you played the original MM?
Nope, got it when it came out, with a handful of other games, and it got put in a cupboard and forgotten about. As for MM, no there too, I've played very few games from any Nintendo console, tbh, I've only ever had Nintendo handhelds.

Redlambs

Nope, got it when it came out, with a handful of other games, and it got put in a cupboard and forgotten about. As for MM, no there too, I've played very few games from any Nintendo console, tbh, I've only ever had Nintendo handhelds.
Wow, consider me jealous! ALBW is great and all, but MM is a whole new league of weirdness for Zelda games. It also has the strongest emotional attachment to the random villagers/side quests out of them all.

You are in for a treat with both.

JSArsenal

Wow, consider me jealous! ALBW is great and all, but MM is a whole new league of weirdness for Zelda games. It also has the strongest emotional attachment to the random villagers/side quests out of them all.

You are in for a treat with both.
MM was a strange one for me, you would do the side quest and help out said villager then play the song of time and its like nothing ever happened, then there are the ones that really catch you in the feels like the Kafei/Anju sidequest, all that hard work and for what? The biggest side quest in a Zelda game to date, that involves every major character in town and the ending just seems hollow somehow.

Always wondered if you could do all the sidequests in one single three day cycle and then go beat the final boss.

Beyond that its a fantastic game, each character you meet has a story and even the dungeons are deeper in meaning than simply go in and collect X item

Probably my second favorite Zelda after Twilight Princess