Gaming Nintendo 3DS vs PS Vita thread.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I've got a new 3ds to play Majoras Mask. Can you guys recommend me some other games to get? Not had a handheld game since the original Pokemon Ruby.
Super Mario Bros 2, Mario 3D Land, Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 7, Luigis Mansion Dark Moon, Professor Layton Miracle Mask, Super Smash Bros.

They're the ones I have and can highly recommend all of them. All are great.

I've been looking at Kingdom Hearts, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Pheonix Wright, Pokemon X/Y, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, Fire Emblem Awakening, Bravely Default, Shovel Knight, Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Fantasy Life, Zelda Ocarina of Time.

The bolded have demos on the eshop for you to try mate. All the above are highly regarded I think.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Wasnt Zelda part 1 a gold cart too?

Do you have a Robotic Operating Buddy?
You may well be right, it's been a long time since I've thought about it! Might have to go hunting for it one day too.

And no, I never had a ROB sadly :( I'm not really interested in going back and collecting things, nearly all of my huge collection of games and hardware is a result of never selling anything rather than hunting it down.

JackXX

Super Mario Bros 2, Mario 3D Land, Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 7, Luigis Mansion Dark Moon, Professor Layton Miracle Mask, Super Smash Bros.

They're the ones I have and can highly recommend all of them. All are great.

I've been looking at Kingdom Hearts, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Pheonix Wright, Pokemon X/Y, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, Fire Emblem Awakening, Bravely Default, Shovel Knight, Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Fantasy Life, Zelda Ocarina of Time.

The bolded have demos on the eshop for you to try mate. All the above are highly regarded I think.
Thanks that's a good list to be getting on with :)

Alock1

Thanks that's a good list to be getting on with :)
Obviously it depends what you're into so it's worth looking into them before getting them. But all are great if you like that sort of game. Particularly recommend Zelda ALBW.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
So all ds games will play on it? What are the must haves?
Yeah it'll play all DS games. Well, apart from ones that need the GBA slot, but there's only one that I can think of that uses that.

DS recommendations... I actually had a paragraph of stuff typed here, but I realized I could go on for ages because there really are loads, so I'm going to be lazy and post these links;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725449

Yeah, it's Neogaf, but for those kind of threads it's pretty useful.

They should keep you busy for a while.

I'll quickly list a few of my favourites though;

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Yoshi's Island DS
Resident Evil Deadly Silence
Contra 4
Pokemon Heart Gold
New Super Mario Bros (if you've played any of the others, maybe give this a miss, but if not give it a shot)
Worms Open Warfare (I don't know why I like this, it's just Worms, but I've played it absolutely loads)
Chrono Trigger

There's 10 to start with. If you want any more specific type/genre recommendations then just ask!

JackXX

Obviously it depends what you're into so it's worth looking into them before getting them. But all are great if you like that sort of game. Particularly recommend Zelda ALBW.
Yeah it'll play all DS games. Well, apart from ones that need the GBA slot, but there's only one that I can think of that uses that.

DS recommendations... I actually had a paragraph of stuff typed here, but I realized I could go on for ages because there really are loads, so I'm going to be lazy and post these links;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725449

Yeah, it's Neogaf, but for those kind of threads it's pretty useful.

They should keep you busy for a while.

I'll quickly list a few of my favourites though;

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Yoshi's Island DS
Resident Evil Deadly Silence
Contra 4
Pokemon Heart Gold
New Super Mario Bros (if you've played any of the others, maybe give this a miss, but if not give it a shot)
Worms Open Warfare (I don't know why I like this, it's just Worms, but I've played it absolutely loads)
Chrono Trigger

There's 10 to start with. If you want any more specific type/genre recommendations then just ask!
Thanks! I love Zelda so that's the main reason I got it but it's hard to know where to start with such a huge amount of games of which I've paid no attention to how they reviewed etc. Will take a look at the games from your lists and pick out which ones I think I will like. I will definitely play all of the Zeldas but I'm particularly excited to play MM as I never got to play it before.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Yeah, excellent choice there ;)

I'm holding off on a new 3DS just yet though, I want to see if popular demand forces them to do a snes style XL version. You'll have to let us know if the new 3D screen really does improve it much too.
I've only played the new 3DSXL for a few minutes so can't really say much but from what I've played so far it's much improved. Starting MM made the nostalgia come flooding back... when
I met the mask salesman on the 3DS I knew what he was going to say before he said it... ah the memories

Just wish that for the 3DSXL MM LE, that they would have made the full thing gold, instead of it essentially being face plates on a regular one. Not much of a bugbear though, it looks beautiful in the flesh to me anyway.

Redlambs

I've only played the new 3DSXL for a few minutes so can't really say much but from what I've played so far it's much improved. Starting MM made the nostalgia come flooding back... when
I met the mask salesman on the 3DS I knew what he was going to say before he said it... ah the memories

Just wish that for the 3DSXL MM LE, that they would have made the full thing gold, instead of it essentially being face plates on a regular one. Not much of a bugbear though, it looks beautiful in the flesh to me anyway.
I know, the moment he pops up it's like the 14-odd years in between never happened :lol:

Oh and the damn C-Stick. Not a fan of having to constantly change the view, but the stick works nicely.
I'm using the circle pad pro on a regular 3ds. It certainly helps but isn't really necessary.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Local shop were out of stock on Majoras Mask, say they should be back tomorrow. We go again!

Read up a little on it, apparently there's some kind of time limit as you play? Not looking forward to that bit, fecking hate time limits.

Damien

Staff
Local shop were out of stock on Majoras Mask, say they should be back tomorrow. We go again!

Read up a little on it, apparently there's some kind of time limit as you play? Not looking forward to that bit, fecking hate time limits.
You've never played it? Yep, there's like a three day cycle then you have to go back in time before it reaches the end of the third day. As you play it, it'll make sense though can be annoying.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
You've never played it? Yep, there's like a three day cycle then you have to go back in time before it reaches the end of the third day. As you play it, it'll make sense though can be annoying.
Nope, never.

So, if you don't complete whatever you're doing in the 3 days, you have to start again? Are there any penalties for failing to do whatever you have to in the 3 days?

Damien

Staff
Nope, never.

So, if you don't complete whatever you're doing in the 3 days, you have to start again? Are there any penalties for failing to do whatever you have to in the 3 days?
My memory is a bit rusty as it has been like 14 years since I played it before starting it up again a few hours ago, but there are a number of things to do, you can't do everything in one cycle and you have to go back in time before the three days are over. By going back in time, loads of things you've done on previous cycles will be like they've not been done before, and you'll have to do them again if required.

It's the darkest Zelda game and you'll love it. Really don't want to say any more as it is something you have to experience.

Redlambs

Nope, never.

Don't overthink it, it makes sense as you play. It's annoying losing some side quests and items, but the main stuff remains done.

As in the time limit, you aren't really rushed along as the reset always comes, it up to you to manage side quests and what you can/can't do within 3 days.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
My memory is a bit rusty as it has been like 14 years since I played it before starting it up again a few hours ago, but there are a number of things to do, you can't do everything in one cycle and you have to go back in time before the three days are over or it is game over. By going back in time, loads of things you've done on previous cycles will be like they've not been done before, and you'll have to do them again if required.

It's the darkest Zelda game and you'll love it. Really don't want to say any more as it is something you have to experience.
Don't overthink it, it makes sense as you play. It's annoying losing some side quests and items, but the main stuff remains done.

As in the time limit, you aren't really rushed along as the reset always comes, it up to you to manage side quests and what you can/can't do within 3 days.

Cheers! Doesn't sound too bad.

Tbh, I still freak out with the 10 minute time limit bit at the start of FFVII, despite knowing I can do it in about 2-3.

Redlambs

Cheers! Doesn't sound too bad.

Tbh, I still freak out with the 10 minute time limit bit at the start of FFVII, despite knowing I can do it in about 2-3.
You sound like a panicker ;)

But you'll have the hang of it soon enough, it's a great game and in my mind (and the majority of others it seems over the years) is in the top 3 Zelda games. Only A Link to the Past and OoT top it for me.

Alock1

I thought it was just the US who miss out on new 3ds?

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Yeah I was still thinking of maybe getting a Japanese one. It would probably depend on the price difference between that and the PAL one at the time I was actually going to buy one.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I'd like a bigger 3DS to have the potion, but the regular one is too tempting. The original 3DS XL prices seem to be dropping though, so hopefully with the "New" ones coming out I might be able to get one nice and cheap in the future too.

Edit: Option, not potion.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
What is it with no game manuals these days. Nintendo used to do real nice ones too

No manual with Majoras Mask

Member 39557

I might have to get a xenoblade themed new 3ds if it comes with that cover + game. That cover looks fantastic.

So much for me intending not to get one!

Redlambs

What is it with no game manuals these days. Nintendo used to do real nice ones too

No manual with Majoras Mask
Yep, we've had a moan about it in the general gaming thread. I've been playing Metroid Trilogy and Skyward Swors and they have huge, well put together manuals.

Electronic manuals suck and I don't read them :(

Member 39557

I quite like the electronic manuals on the wiiu.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't really miss them.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I miss them and would love all games to have them, but if a game is cheaper without it then I don't mind getting the cheaper one :p Of course, that only applies to getting retro games online, current games without them are the same price as ever.