Nolan's Batman

MichaelS

Saw it yesterday. 8/10 for me.

BB 7/10
TDK 9/10

Thought rises lacked flow imo. Would liked to have seen more of Batman. And more batman + catwoman. Bane voice was like darth vader speaking into a teacup. It didn't quite work for me.

Loved scarecrow as the judge or whatever he was.

The whole Talisa thing didn't do it for me. It came too late, and when she revealed herself she proceeded to die within like 10 minutes in a rather hilarious way.

The movie lacked the polish of TDK imo. Don't know if it was rushed.

Otherwise, it was a good movie, but not a classic imo.

Woodzy

BB 7/10
TDK 9/10

Thought rises lacked flow imo. Would liked to have seen more of Batman. And more batman + catwoman. Bane voice was like darth vader speaking into a teacup. It didn't quite work for me.

The whole Talisa thing didn't do it for me. It came too late, and when she revealed herself she proceeded to die within like 10 minutes in a rather hilarious way.

Agreed.

stubie

For anyone that has watched it twice - did you think it was better the second time around?
I watched the first hour on Saturday night before the wife was sick :mad:

Watching it yesterday morning despite seeing the first hour helped me get more into it.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede

BB 7/10
TDK 9/10

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

MichaelS

I thought it was dull and cheesy in many parts.

Don't know why it's so highly rated.

It lacked a proper villain too.

Decent movie, but not much more for me. I suppose maybe it's because I don't read comics.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Decent movie, but not much more for me. I suppose maybe it's because I don't read comics.
I think it's a movie that many appreciate more now when they watch them back and see how it ties into the rest of the trilogy. A lot of others have said that in this thread.

Begins would always be a difficult movie to do though in Nolan's semi-realistic Batman world. He did the best he could at originating Batman without it all looking ridiculously silly, even if parts were a little cheesy.

Saliph

BB is my favorite of the lot (despite some cheesy parts). I found TDK to be somewhat uninteresting and boring, I didn't quite care for any of the characters (plus I hated Maggie Gyllenhaal's Rachel Dawes). Rises was better, but not quite as good as Begins.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Back then batman just learn his trade, it'll be unbelievable if he meet up with a supernatural powered bane

But then again, any superhero movie is unbelievable.

I kinda like BB though, it's realistic in a way, no way Batman could take all that beating with or without training, most knock at the back would turn man writhing in pain in real life.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't get why Begins is so popular here either. Nothing stood out about it for me. It was good without ever making me feel like I was watching something that could be more than that. What it was, IMO, was a good curtain raiser for what was to follow. But it was what followed it that really took this series and made it something special.

RK

I don't understand how people can choose to watch the same film twice within the space of a couple of weeks, beyond adhering to social rules causing you to see it with two separate groups.

Do they have the brains of a gnat? How can one be entertained by exactly the same thing twice in quick succession? I couldn't even do it with a United match.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I liked the opening parts of Batman Begins but didn't really care that much for the rest of it. The Joker made The Dark Knight a better and more enjoyable film.

TheBest

SPNTBP
I don't understand how people can choose to watch the same film twice within the space of a couple of weeks, beyond adhering to social rules causing you to see it with two separate groups.

Do they have the brains of a gnat? How can one be entertained by exactly the same thing twice in quick succession? I couldn't even do it with a United match.
I did watch it twice but this is probably the only movie I've seen twice. Had nothing else to do.

gaz1185

Well here's some interesting bits about the origin of Bane from a interview with the costume designer:

GQ: On a recent interview, you said you couldn't elaborate on the prison scenes, because the film wasn't out yet. What can you tell us about them now?

Lindy Hemming: I don't think they know where the prison is, but it doesn't really matter...it could be in Northern India or it could be in Afghanistan or it could be in Northern Pakistan, but it's in the roof of the world.

GQ: And Bane has on these...

Lindy Hemming:
Rags. [laughs] We made them first and then ruined them, obviously. There were two things about his clothes. The first thing is that they should be pretty undefined in date and where they came from, other than perhaps north of Asia. The other thing is that during the sequence when...do you know I haven't seen the film finished?

GQ: What!? You haven't seen the movie yet?

Lindy Hemming:
It's not out in England yet, but the other thing that you should have seen during that sequence is him being injured in his youth. So one of the fundamental things about his costume is that he has this scar from the back injury. Even if he hasn't got the bulletproof vest on, he still has to wear the waist belt and the braces. In that scene in the prison, where he's learning to fight the same way Batman learned to fight, he's wearing an early version of his waist belt. It's showing support, but it's not the finished one he eventually wears. He's also wearing an early version of his gas mask, all glued together.

GQ: I remember one scene where we see his face covered in bandages, is this what you're referring to?

Lindy Hemming: Well, if you look at the film, unless they've cut it—and I'm sure they haven't—there's a whole early section for Tom Hardy where he's fighting and being taunted by people. He's got chains on him, and he's standing on a wooden thing while people are attacking him. And in that scene, he's wearing a much more ragged, primitive version of the mask.

GQ: I think that Bane scene must've been cut...

Lindy Hemming: Well that's an awful shame, but I suppose you have to cut things. I won't elaborate on it too much, because it isn't in the film, but there was another section that showed you why he had the mask and where it came from.

They seem like scenes that would of made a nice addition to the movie regarding Bane, bit sad that they were cut from the final film. We probably won't even be able to see them in the form of deleted scenes, neither BB or TDK had any form of deleted scenes, so not really much hope for TDKR having any.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Watch it again, Amol.
Actually I did. Seen both Begins and The Dark Knight very recently and it only confirmed my initial opinion. Infact, I think it went up in my estimation a bit on the recent viewing but it didn't change my opinion.

For me, Raaz and Scarecrow as villains and the whole gas leak stuff just didn't impact me enough. That doesn't mean I found it average. It was good. But it doesn't stand apart the way TDK did.

Spoony

The People's President
Actually I did. Seen both Begins and The Dark Knight very recently and it only confirmed my initial opinion. Infact, I think it went up in my estimation a bit on the recent viewing but it didn't change my opinion.

For me, Raaz and Scarecrow as villains and the whole gas leak stuff just didn't impact me enough. That doesn't mean I found it average. It was good. But it doesn't stand apart the way TDK did.
I thought TDK was much better first time around...thanks to the impact of The Joker...and a pulsating chase scene. However, on second viewing it didn't hold up as well, in fact aside from Ledger it lacked substance. Anyway did anyone else suss out Nolan's homage to The Killing? that hoist scene was uncanny.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

It's not that good, but it's the best among the superhero shites we've been served all these years, hence it went into overdrive.

Most great movies tends to be drama, acting, and stuff, seldom a block buster pop corn flick manages to hit the right spot on the acting department, Batman is just that IMHO, a blockbuster done nicely.

To say that it's the best , and top 3 ever is a mockery of real acting.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world

BB 7/10
TDK 9/10

Can't compare it with TDK. This is a grand finale, and it does that quite well. I do think that the climatic action scenes were a bit lacking, but that might be because i was getting tired at the end. i loved the twists at the end though, wasn't too late at all because i wasn't expecting it, so it was nice. If you spend the entire movie wondering who will be the main villain, then yeah it will feel late. Just sit back and enjoy it.

Cillian Murphys cameo was awesome. im glad they didnt give him a cheesy death either.

Heardy

Well here's some interesting bits about the origin of Bane from a interview with the costume designer:

GQ: On a recent interview, you said you couldn't elaborate on the prison scenes, because the film wasn't out yet. What can you tell us about them now?

Lindy Hemming: I don't think they know where the prison is, but it doesn't really matter...it could be in Northern India or it could be in Afghanistan or it could be in Northern Pakistan, but it's in the roof of the world.

GQ: And Bane has on these...

Lindy Hemming:
Rags. [laughs] We made them first and then ruined them, obviously. There were two things about his clothes. The first thing is that they should be pretty undefined in date and where they came from, other than perhaps north of Asia. The other thing is that during the sequence when...do you know I haven't seen the film finished?

GQ: What!? You haven't seen the movie yet?

Lindy Hemming:
It's not out in England yet, but the other thing that you should have seen during that sequence is him being injured in his youth. So one of the fundamental things about his costume is that he has this scar from the back injury. Even if he hasn't got the bulletproof vest on, he still has to wear the waist belt and the braces. In that scene in the prison, where he's learning to fight the same way Batman learned to fight, he's wearing an early version of his waist belt. It's showing support, but it's not the finished one he eventually wears. He's also wearing an early version of his gas mask, all glued together.

GQ: I remember one scene where we see his face covered in bandages, is this what you're referring to?

Lindy Hemming: Well, if you look at the film, unless they've cut it—and I'm sure they haven't—there's a whole early section for Tom Hardy where he's fighting and being taunted by people. He's got chains on him, and he's standing on a wooden thing while people are attacking him. And in that scene, he's wearing a much more ragged, primitive version of the mask.
GQ: I think that Bane scene must've been cut...

Lindy Hemming: Well that's an awful shame, but I suppose you have to cut things. I won't elaborate on it too much, because it isn't in the film, but there was another section that showed you why he had the mask and where it came from.

They seem like scenes that would of made a nice addition to the movie regarding Bane, bit sad that they were cut from the final film. We probably won't even be able to see them in the form of deleted scenes, neither BB or TDK had any form of deleted scenes, so not really much hope for TDKR having any.
Gutted those scenese were cut in the final film.

Hal9000

Does Nolan tend to do extended editions/directors cut? Would love to see those scenes.

phelans shorts

Finally got round to watching this. Loved it.

Completely disagree with Talia coming out too late, it was blindingly obvious for about 20 minutes before she did, if you're someone who knows the back stories at least. The dead giveaway was the referring to Raas' child (he only had one, Talia), and the referring to two different people in the prison, "the child" and "him". Clearly not the same person.

Some of the latter scenes did seem a little rushed, but that didn't really take anything away, whilst also adding a nice level of closure at the very end. Strong hints at Blake being in the upcoming Justice League film, whether that be as Robin/Nightwing or as a new batman is yet to be seen.

Also, they nailed the Catwoman role. Perfectly done.

Very strong trilogy.

EDIT: actually, there was one thing. Anyone else find Bane a little bit too camp? He seemed to flip flop between the comic Bane, and some incredibly camp, more of a Riddler style. Weird.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Finally got round to watch this in IMAX - brilliant film. Superb end to the trilogy. Zimmer's soundtrack was exceptional as usual.

I worked out the twist with Talia when Bane took her away from the sentencing hearing and also it helped knowing Ra's had a daughter.

I thought the film was the right length of time, not too long and a simple but excellent way to end the film with the final scenes.

Dave89

I saw the twist coming insofar as she was going to betray him, but not the whole back story. M imight get called names for this, but the auto pilot repair thingy struck me as a little bit of a deus ex machina

Andrew~

I remember way back in Newbies when I seemed to have protracted arguments with people when I told them TDK wasn't all that, and that Begins was a better film - especially Zen, who seemed to be a TDK zealot.

The last couple of pages make for particularly satisfying reading. :smirk:

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
If you caught it on the Warner Bros channel in India, please slap yourself, and then try and watch the proper version. They actually cut out a part where someone says 'Oh my God' in the movie. The level of censoring in the fkin country reached ridiculous levels a long time ago.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I remember way back in Newbies when I seemed to have protracted arguments with people when I told them TDK wasn't all that, and that Begins was a better film - especially Zen, who seemed to be a TDK zealot.

The last couple of pages make for particularly satisfying reading. :smirk:
Well I'm about to watch TDK again on Spoony's orders and I'll have the final say.

Any problems with that, pm him. Though be warned, he'll send you back to the newbs if he doesn't like the cut of your jib.

2x G.N. Sweepstake Winner, Apprentice Winner 2013
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place.
Watched this at the IMAX today for the first time! :

It was a brilliant ending to a fantastic trilogy. The ending of TDKR was great, left it open for something in the future too. They were dropping hints all the way through that Blake wasn't as he seemed and I love the way he was incorporated into the end.

I was so engrossed by the film that I actually missed the Talia Al-Ghul twist coming (despite knowing that Raa's only had one daughter).

Am I in a minority who thought Bane's voice was cool as feck? It was a tad squealy at times but for the most part I loved his demeanour and the delivery of his lines and the voice really added to it.

Anne Hathaway's performance as Selina Kyle was very good. And she looked hot in that skin suit!

I quite liked the pacing of the film, though I felt there was something slight that was lacking but couldn't put my finger on it.

There were elements of BB and TDK in this film which I thought were well done and made this film a cohesive part of the trilogy.

Loved the cameos too.

All in all well worth the wait!

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
I watched this third batman movie yesterday and was pleased with the results.

I'm glad they stretched it out a bit because most stories are often rushed. The only concern is that it's a pain sitting in the cinema for almost 3 hours and you don't want to go to the toilet during the movie.

I think the voice of Baine was a bit too much. In the cinema the sound was as if someone on youtube had dubed their own voice to it, and i'm not sure about the voice itself - it just sounded stupid.
Good to see Batman being able to stand up against him in the first encounter in the film. Often the villain is too strong to begin with which makes the ending a bit bizzare when the hero end up beating the shit out of him when he could have done so in the first place.

I think the movie lacked a good looking girl. I'm also disappointed with the Robin story. It was way too obvious. I don't think they will take this story much further. I mean, who the hell could take the serie seriously if Robin shows up together with batman. When you start thinking of it, why the hell is he dressed up like that to begin with. Absolutely ridiculous. Either way the dress is extremely cool designed. Batman just keeps looking more and more dim rubber.

Highlight of the movie was the part when Batman was standing in daylight infront of the courthall fighting Baine. That was such an artistic moment. Loved it.

Machines... The motorbike was there and we have seen it before. The helicopter was dull. I'm not pleased at all. It feels like they're using the same patherns over and over again with all these new hero movies. Transformers, Terminator, Spiderman bla bla bla. I'm pretty sure they're screwing us over using the same shit, only changing the background and so on.

Rating for the whole movie 7,3/10

Burndogg

Magic Meat
I'm sure it's been gone over earlier but you lot talk about Batman a lot.

Did it irk anyone else that Levitt Gonden-Joseph knew Wayne was Batman just by observing him? Pissed me off a little.

2x G.N. Sweepstake Winner, Apprentice Winner 2013
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place.

Did it irk anyone else that Levitt Gonden-Joseph knew Wayne was Batman just by observing him? Pissed me off a little.
Yeh that was actually something I didn't quite get either. Especially since Gordon and Kyle had much closer interaction with him.

Saq

saw it yesterday,this movie is longest crap ever.

Dave89

Definitely. Unless I've forgotten a lot of the dialogue, all he could logically deduce from what he observed was that Wayne was not as happy as he pretended to be. Going from that to Batman is a massive fecking jump.

Another annoyance, you're batman, with all this fancy technology by a fear of being outed. Why the feck don't you wear a voice changing mask? To a) disguise your voice and b) stop people putting their hand over the top half of a photo of Wayne's face and recognising you instantly

MichaelS

Batman should just use a damn gun.

Hmmm, shoot villain in the face or risk millions of people dying.

easy, option nr 2. Definitely