Northern Ireland Thread

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I used religiously log in here to hear the knowledgeable assessments of @Raoul on matters Trumpish; where’s the NI Caf equivalent?
@LilyWhiteSpur showing promise: let’s see how predictions pan out

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I used religiously log in here to hear the knowledgeable assessments of @Raoul on matters Trumpish; where’s the NI Caf equivalent?
@LilyWhiteSpur showing promise: let’s see how predictions pan out
I don't think anyone can predict accurately what the DUP will do, they are so divided and have been for a long time in an absolute mess.

Rooney24

I don't think anyone can predict accurately what the DUP will do, they are so divided and have been for a long time in an absolute mess.
What is flying under the radar in all this mess, is that the DUP voted 24-4 against the FM appointment purely on the basis that it would mean the ILA would get implemented.

That should be getting a lot more airplay than it is. The DUP at its core still had absolutely no intention of sticking to what they agreed regarding the ILA.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
What is flying under the radar in all this mess, is that the DUP voted 24-4 against the FM appointment purely on the basis that it would mean the ILA would get implemented.

That should be getting a lot more airplay than it is. The DUP at its core still had absolutely no intention of sticking to what they agreed regarding the ILA.
Its the Division with in the party, the appointment of Poots who most knew wouldn't last for many many reasons, the next election IMO could destroy them.

Rooney24

Its the Division with in the party, the appointment of Poots who most knew wouldn't last for many many reasons, the next election IMO could destroy them.
I agree. They could well be wiped off the map. Wouldnt be surprised to see SF and Alliance as the two largest parties next time round.

Lastwolf

I agree. They could well be wiped off the map. Wouldnt be surprised to see SF and Alliance as the two largest parties next time round.
If they elect one of the more "moderate" members they have time to recover before the next election, but if they elect another wingnut to appeal to the TUV crowd, who knows. SF will almost certainly be largest party, regardless of what the unionist side do from here on out, The DUP majority is small and I can't see a way they don't lose any seats next run, to one side or the other.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If they elect one of the more "moderate" members they have time to recover before the next election, but if they elect another wingnut to appeal to the TUV crowd, who knows. SF will almost certainly be largest party, regardless of what the unionist side do from here on out, The DUP majority is small and I can't see a way they don't lose any seats next run, to one side or the other.
DUP are going to get hammered at next election and I honestly can't wait. They are all utter scum who have held the country back for decades.

Lastwolf

DUP are going to get hammered at next election and I honestly can't wait. They are all utter scum who have held the country back for decades.
They have 28 seats, they'd need to lose 10+ all to either UUP or Alliance in order for them to be in any real danger this next election, so theres gonna be a few more years of them being utter shit houses.

Saying that looking at latest polling, they are looking at a ~12 seat loss, most of which seems to be TUV though.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Who comprised and allowed the ILA to go through, him or given?
This is the bit that is confusing me in the ordeal. Surely Poots and Givan were also not for the ILA going through either. How does him appointing Givan get in the way of that?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They have 28 seats, they'd need to lose 10+ all to either UUP or Alliance in order for them to be in any real danger this next election, so theres gonna be a few more years of them being utter shit houses.

Saying that looking at latest polling, they are looking at a ~12 seat loss, most of which seems to be TUV though.
They will lose more than that. The entire party has imploded.

Raulduke

This is the bit that is confusing me in the ordeal. Surely Poots and Givan were also not for the ILA going through either. How does him appointing Givan get in the way of that?
Nominating a First Minister was seen as an endorsement of the deal struck between Sinn Fein and Brandon Lewis over the ILA the night before. Lewis himself said that Poots & Givan signed up to that deal but they had seemingly done so without consulting the party. The party wanted Poots to hold off nominating a First Minister, essentially a threat to collapse the executive, to maintain that as leverage to keep negotiating with Lewis over both the ILA and the Protocol.

stevoc

That would seem the least sensible political move they could make right now, which knowing the DUP is almost certainly what they will do.

Rooney24

Nominating a First Minister was seen as an endorsement of the deal struck between Sinn Fein and Brandon Lewis over the ILA the night before. Lewis himself said that Poots & Givan signed up to that deal but they had seemingly done so without consulting the party. The party wanted Poots to hold off nominating a First Minister, essentially a threat to collapse the executive, to maintain that as leverage to keep negotiating with Lewis over both the ILA and the Protocol.
Added to the other fact that the UK government told them they would legislate for the ILA through Westminster anyway if they didnt get on with it by October.

I guess Poots was thinking "Well lets just crack on then", but he totally misjudged his party line on it.

Raulduke

Added to the other fact that the UK government told them they would legislate for the ILA through Westminster anyway if they didnt get on with it by October.

I guess Poots was thinking "Well lets just crack on then", but he totally misjudged his party line on it.
Yeah, he was obviously thinking getting Westminster to carry the can over the ILA would get him off the hook which was incredibly naive. But sidelining all their experienced negotiators like Dodds and Donaldson was always going to backfire, it's just amazing that it backfired so catastrophically so quickly.

poleglass red

Been a tough oul week or so for Junior. He backed Poots bigtime and got on stage with wee Van the grumpy man. In hindsight neither were great choices.He might need a wee holiday to get his head together, are flights to Sri Lanka still open?

Lastwolf

That would seem the least sensible political move they could make right now, which knowing the DUP is almost certainly what they will do.
Least sensible long term, but short term, according to polling, thats where their biggest losses are occuring so the prudent move would be to keep the headers onside and plead the "sure we have to keep themmuns out of power" route. Afterall it's what swept them to power in the firstplace.

Raulduke

Least sensible long term, but short term, according to polling, thats where their biggest losses are occuring so the prudent move would be to keep the headers onside and plead the "sure we have to keep themmuns out of power" route. Afterall it's what swept them to power in the firstplace.
After the events of yesterday surely even the hardliners within the party will realise they need stability more than anything else right now? Row in behind Donaldson now and suck up a few months of bad polling and rebuild for the elections next year. The alternative is face an early election while compounding losses to the right with losses to the UUP and Alliance on the left. They've painted themselves into a corner but one choice buys them time to lick their wounds while the other is oblivion.

Meanwhile...

Player Red

Yeah, he was obviously thinking getting Westminster to carry the can over the ILA would get him off the hook which was incredibly naive. But sidelining all their experienced negotiators like Dodds and Donaldson was always going to backfire, it's just amazing that it backfired so catastrophically so quickly.
Usually we can convince Westminster to throw an extra billion our way while the Assembly is on hold - missed opportunity.

Lastwolf

After the events of yesterday surely even the hardliners within the party will realise they need stability more than anything else right now? Row in behind Donaldson now and suck up a few months of bad polling and rebuild for the elections next year. The alternative is face an early election while compounding losses to the right with losses to the UUP and Alliance on the left. They've painted themselves into a corner but one choice buys them time to lick their wounds while the other is oblivion.

Meanwhile...

Can there be an early election? pretty sure earliest it can be is May next year.

The DUP sure as hell wont call one right now and everyone else has to be thinking sure in another 11 months they could be resorting to cannibalism.

stevoc

Yeah all evidence points to long term planning being an Alien concept to the DUP.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

I think maybe they threatened him with an election. Which tells a lot. It’s now down to who the second biggest party are; do they automatically get to nominate a co-First Minister, or must it be Nationalist/Unionist? Unionists would - I suppose - have to try and collapse that assembly....

cyberman

It
I think maybe they threatened him with an election. Which tells a lot. It’s now down to who the second biggest party are; do they automatically get to nominate a co-First Minister, or must it be Nationalist/Unionist? Unionists would - I suppose - have to try and collapse that assembly....
Its largest and second largest denomination. Alliance can get into power if theres a surge in smaller parties that arent Nationalist or Unionist and other becomes larger than unionist.
If Alliance gets the votes and DUP collapses Stormont then thats it for powersharing and it will be rebuilt from the ground up imo. Theyre just stepping on their own toes yet again and cant see the big picture

Last edited: