Not able to log in? [Solution available]

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
So yeah, that just happened.

Got logged out and when I click the login button the page refresh but nothing happens.

When I click the members tab I get logged in again, but as soon as I return to forum index the problem returns.

---------------------

(edited by Niall)

Solution:

This is a cookie issue. First try logging out by visiting https://www.redcafe.net/logout and then log back in again.

If that doesn't work, clear cookies for this site in your browser and you should be able to login.

Clearing cookies in Chrome or Firefox on a desktop (thanks to @fishfingers15):
Just for others who use Chrome or Firefox and can't login due to issues (even login just redirects to home page)

1) Open Redcafe on Chrome/Firefox
2) Click the 'i' (i with a circle) in the address bar. In the latest Chrome/Firefox versions, this is located at the start of address before, just before the 'www' part of the address
3) On clicking the i, you get loads of information about the site, like connection details, cookies and permissions. In the cookies section, there would be a link which says the number of cookies redcafe has planted in your computer. For me, it is 7, for others, it may be higher/lower. Click that link
4) You would see Cookies grouped by URL. Click on each of the URL/folder and click Remove
5) Try logging in and it should work
Clearing cookies in Safari on iOS (thanks to @Moonred):
Go to settings >> Safari >> Scroll down to advanced >> Website Data >> click on the edit button on top right and clear RedCafe.
Clearing cookies in Chrome on Android (thanks to @diarm):
For anyone using Chrome for Android who doesn't want to delete their entire cookie cache, click the 3 dot menu in the top right (while browsing the caf) and then click the ( i ) symbol which is fourth along the top row.

This allows you clear and reset cookies just for the caf, the same way those on a desktop browser were doing it from their address bar.
The source of this bug was found and fixed. But if you're experiencing problems with staying logged in, please post in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

SwansonsTache

Worked now that I took the route through my user profile, clicked on recent activity and tried to access on of my posts in the General.

Got prompted the login page which I couldn't access through the forum index page \ front page.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Hmm, that's odd. @SwansonsTache I'm trying to replicate this in Firefox (v47 on Mac) but so far no issue with being logged out. Is it still happening?

Anyone else having this problem?

SwansonsTache

Hmm, that's odd. @SwansonsTache I'm trying to replicate this in Firefox (v47 on Mac) but so far no issue with being logged out. Is it still happening?

It worked after I logged in through the method explained above. Haven't had the problem since.

maba723

likes bananas a bit too much
Used to happen to me. It used to work when I ticked 'Stay logged in'

EDIT: I see what you're talking about. same thing just happened to me after posting this. Page just refreshes
I'm on mobile and if I click on any link, I'm logged in. When I click on the 'redcafe' banner, I'm logged out and then I encounter the problem

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I just had the excact same problem on my windows 10 notebook with Firefox v50.1.0 . Was logged out on all the forum pages and clicking on the login button just refreshed the page, but didn't forward me to the login page. Solved it as written above, went to my own profile page (where I strangely was still logged in), clicked on logout, tried to access my profile again and was forwarded to the login page.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I've made a couple of changes, specifically around the login link not taking you to the login page. I'm not sure why you're getting randomly logged out though.

Please let me know if you're still having issues @Balu @maba723 @SwansonsTache @Scrumpet @Akshay.

coolredwine

lameredboots
I'm seeing this issue on Safari. Every time I click the log in button, the page just keeps getting refreshed. Working fine on Chrome though.

@Niall

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
To confirm, this is the login link at the very top of every page?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I can't reproduce this is in any browser but I'm still trying to narrow down the cause.

Can people with this problem confirm if it happens in browsers they don't normally use?

E.g. If you use Chrome, try with Firefox or Safari.

diarm

I've the same issue on Chrome for android but when I tried the Chrome Develope browser it logged in fine. I'm also logged in fine on Chrome for Mac and just tried with both Firefox and Safari which logged in perfectly.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I'm still pretty sure this is a caching issue. I've forced reloading of the XenForo javascript for everybody next time they load a page on the site, so please let me know if that makes a difference.

If not, I'll try the next thing.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Also been having this problem the past couple of days (FF 50.01, Mac). It works on Safari desktop and iOS.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I'm still pretty sure this is a caching issue. I've forced reloading of the XenForo javascript for everybody next time they load a page on the site, so please let me know if that makes a difference.

If not, I'll try the next thing.
I just cleared my cache and tried it again, it just seems to be timing out now.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I just cleared my cache and tried it again, it just seems to be timing out now.
Timing out as in you get an error in your browser saying the page timed out, or nothing happens at all?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Timing out as in you get an error in your browser saying the page timed out, or nothing happens at all?
It starts off as if it's going to load (takes around 5 mins) then nothing happens. I've tried it on another machine with same browser and version and the same thing happens.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
If anyone else has this problem and can't post in this thread, please private message me.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Thanks @fishfingers15

Can anyone else having this issue please logout and then back in again.

That should sort it.

Moonred

The only place where I can't login is on safari on my iPad. It had mostly timed out since I haven't used the ipad for over a week. I haven't been logged out of any other devices where I am logged in. Looks like a generic login issue due to some recent changes? Also, tapping any of the 'you must login..' Links just refreshes to the unlogged in home page rather than taking me to log in UI.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
The only place where I can't login is on safari on my iPad. It had mostly timed out since I haven't used the ipad for over a week. I haven't been logged out of any other devices where I am logged in. Looks like a generic login issue due to some recent changes? Also, tapping any of the 'you must login..' Links just refreshes to the unlogged in home page rather than taking me to log in UI.
Try clearing cookies for redcafe in your safari if it allows you?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Can you log out and back in again and see if that fixes it?