"Not Ready, Not Mentally Prepared, Not Committed".

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Cleverley, Evans etc. weren't mentally strong players. The toughness come from our manager.

Rafateria

"Not Ready, Not Mentally Prepared, Not Committed".

So everyone is agreeing with him - without accepting that this is in fact the manager's job to ensure they are ready, are prepared and are committed. So he is in effect pointing out his failure to prepare his team, one player may not be giving his all for a variety of reasons, but a whole team ? That's on Mourinho.

I disagree with his comments on the first goal though, that can happen at any time in the 90 mins.

red4ever 79

Does anyone think this could be down to not having a core of British players in the team. I mean at best we have Smalling, Shaw, Rashford who would start. Occasionally Lingard does. Too many foreigners in there laughing and swapping shirts and playing like they dont give a f*eck in the world. Bring back the home grown rule 6 starting players

The United

How does he prepare a bunch of cowards who hide at the slightest hint of hard going. If they're mentally weak they're mentally weak. SAF had some average players like Cleverley in his last season but they were mentally strong and put up a fight. These bunch just collapse when something goes wrong. It's hard to prepare them and that's why it needs more than 1 transfer window.
Well it comes from managers usually. And managers have to transfer it to players.

It is why we usually say the greatest strength of good managers is to make his players punching above their heights.

You have to convince them. If you can't, no one would follow. As shit as last season, players were still fighting for the manager on the pitch even till the end.

So I doubt this argument that our players don't give a feck 3 months into a new manager who is highly regarded holds much.

quethenoo

Put that video into the op.

He is right, the playerd have to go onto the pitch 100% ready to go. Hes not talking about preparation leading up to the game, hes talking about Roy Keane/Gary Neville/Vidicesque standing in the tunnel getting yourself ready for battle so when the kickoff happens youre out of the traps. What youve done is try to sensationalise his comment. Do you work for The Sun?

He cant do that for the players, they have to go out on the pitch and play at the end of the day
Totally spot on in his assessment. He can prepare the players tactically, and perhaps mentally to a degree, but they really should be motivating themselves and each other on the pitch.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Does anyone think this could be down to not having a core of British players in the team. I mean at best we have Smalling, Shaw, Rashford who would start. Occasionally Lingard does. Too many foreigners in there laughing and swapping shirts and playing like they dont give a f*eck in the world. Bring back the home grown rule 6 starting players
How many home grown players are starting and providing leadership for City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs? Teams usually take the personality of their managers. It is all too evident with those teams. It's clear to see that Jose is not able to impose himself on this team. Either we have signed the worst set of players in the world or Jose is lacking. I personally think it is the combination of the two. Some of the players aren't good enough and Jose is struggling to transfer his ideas to these players.

It's worrying. People keep saying we are only 8 points behind or it's only 1/4th way into the season, but Jose is not Fergie and these players are not players we had in the past. Does anyone think we can go on a run in our current state? Have we seen signs that this going to suddenly turn for the better? Do we have an identity or a style of play?

Smores

Well this thread has given the Mourinho haters another chance to have a good old moan.

Ive seen enough from this set of players to agree with him 100%. As Scholes said we have too many that arent United players, they're not winners and dont want it enough but then look at our captain and you can see why. We've no one stepping up to carry the team.

We need another RvP level signing up front, someone who will elevate the rest through their own performances.

CS@SG

Well this thread has given the Mourinho haters another chance to have a good old moan.

Ive seen enough from this set of players to agree with him 100%. As Scholes said we have too many that arent United players, they're not winners and dont want it enough but then look at our captain and you can see why. We've no one stepping up to carry the team.

We need another RvP level signing up front, someone who will elevate the rest through their own performances.
You mean the player with world highest transfer fee, or the striker with 50 goals in previous season, or the German league player of the year, are not able to elevate the rest through their own performance?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
You mean the player with world highest transfer fee, or the striker with 50 goals in previous season, or the German league player of the year, are not able to elevate the rest through their own performance?
This is the rub for me.

Jose tried to bring in leaders, knowing our side was soft. They are just not doing it.

CS@SG

The money is only wasted if they turn out not good enough. Something we won't know until they've been here at least a season. Often even longer. This is all obvious stuff.
Too bad we need them doing it NOW.

Reggie74

I would blame the too many matches. We look mentally tired. If we were hypothetically only playing one match a week, we would be better psychologically for the games.
SAF managed squad rotation well, I can't see why others can't do the same.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I like Mourinho and I don't think he in any way should be sacked or anything.

But to those who just think people here are looking to bash him at times, ask yourself this: did Fergie always have, for 26 years, a group of self motivated and dedicated players? The answer is no. But yet they always worked hard and always looked raring to go.

Point is, it was his ability to bring that out of his players. And therefore by inference Mourinho also has a job to do in getting it out of his players. Now I'm not saying the players aren't also to blame but Mourinho can't just act like it isn't his fault at all too.

CS@SG

Meh. I suspect you're the type of person who needs everything NOW. Some of us are able to take a longer term perspective.
Good for some of you then. I hope you enjoy the shitty football and shitty results.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

But to those who just think people here are looking to bash him at times, ask yourself this: did Fergie always have, for 26 years, a group of self motivated and dedicated players? The answer is no. But yet they always worked hard and always looked raring to go.

Point is, it was his ability to bring that out of his players. And therefore by inference Mourinho also has a job to do in getting it out of his players. Now I'm not saying the players aren't also to blame but Mourinho can't just act like it isn't his fault at all too.
True. You can see a paradox in some people's post on here. On one hand they'll say that Fergie left us with a weak squad and most players were "deadwood". Then in the next post you can see them mentioning that the new manager doesn't have the "leaders" that Fergie had and that is the sole reason he is failing. Only one of those can be true.

No one has a personal grudge against Jose or any other manager. It's weird that you cannot discuss the performance of the current manager as that makes you spoilt or a hater.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
And so it has started, Jose turning on the players. Not that I am against them getting a rollicking. Some of them need to stand up and show some fight and balls, however I did not expect this after around 15 games or so. Very concerning start for Jose's tenure at Utd
Yeah, my thoughts as well. The way i see it there are two possible scenarios at play here
1) Jose is feeling the pressure because this job was the one he always wanted (Remember the obvious flirting after the CL fixture against Madrid, very uncharacteristic of him)
2) He has completely lost his mojo. Hes at what? 6 wins in 48 games now or some shite? That's truly horrendous, so the evidence would suggest so, but common sense would deny it. You just don't lose managerial ability like that. At least ive never heard or seen any manager doing something like that

Actually, i think there it's a third option here
3) It's the players, or rather the culture in the dressing room. The only current players who really experienced the Fergie era and got ingrained in the winning culture is Rooney and Carrick, but sadly they are at the end of their careers. The rest are a mishmash of Moyes, Lvg, and Mou signings so both morale and chemistry among the players must be low. We lack a leader both on the pitch and and in he dressing room and it's really starting to show.

The way i see it, we just need to hit the reset button (no not changing managers), but get back to basics and get a squad of players who really want to play for us, and not just look at us like a cash cow.

Defenders: Baily, Shaw
Mids: Herrera, Pogba, Mata, Lingaard (not that good i know, but hes local and a real character)
FW: Martial, Rashford

As things stand now, these are the only players i would want to keep at the club because they have the following
1) Talent or massive potential
2) An actual desire to wear the Utd jersey and get out there and give their all.

I mentioned in another thread: We just stole Athetico's head scout this summer (and we all know the amount of talent they are producing) so let's get scouting and rebuild the ship plank by plank. No more of these stop gap solutions by throwing massive amounts of money at star players who look at us like "just another club".

I know this is quite different from how Jose has done things in recent years, but he did it with Porto, so it's time to prove he can do it in a more competitive league

Werder Herzog

Fact is not a single one of them gives a flying monkey's ass about playing for the club. Even the boys who came through the youth team. All of them are mentally weak, the only one's who seem to give a rat's are Herrera and Mata, and Schweinsteiger who cannot even get a game but he loves being here. They ought to be utterly ashamed of themselves after last night, we played better at Chelsea away and lost by 4 , their is just no motivation, Luke Shaw for instance should be busting his balls to want to be England's no 1 left back as well as Utd's but he is just bone idle, Martial's head has gone, i do not have a positive thing to say about anyone other than Herrera or Mata currently.

There is a culture rife in the club that under Ferguson would not have been allowed, in terms of attitude that is. I just hope Jose is as tough as he has been in the past before his last season with Chelsea because if he cannot sort it i really do fear for us.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

There were plenty of spells in plenty of seasons under Fergie with results/performances just as bad as what we've gone through under Mourinho.

Remember this?

Nothing as sustained as the three years since he left but that's a risk you take when you hire and fire managers as often as we have in that period of time.

RoadTrip

There were plenty of spells in plenty of seasons under Fergie with results/performances just as bad as what we've gone through under Mourinho.

Nothing as sustained as the three years since he left but that's a risk you take when you hire and fire managers as often as we have in that period of time.
No but I'm not talking about results. There is a difference between bad results and a lack of motivation or dedication. Under Fergie I always felt that even though our football was shit in pockets and sometimes we lost in pockets, we always worked hard and looked motivated.

CS@SG

Yeah, my thoughts as well. The way i see it there are two possible scenarios at play here
1) Jose is feeling the pressure because this job was the one he always wanted (Remember the obvious flirting after the CL fixture against Madrid, very uncharacteristic of him)
2) He has completely lost his mojo. Hes at what? 6 wins in 48 games now or some shite? That's truly horrendous, so the evidence would suggest so, but common sense would deny it. You just don't lose managerial ability like that. At least ive never heard or seen any manager doing something like that

Actually, i think there it's a third option here
3) It's the players, or rather the culture in the dressing room. The only current players who really experienced the Fergie era and got ingrained in the winning culture is Rooney and Carrick, but sadly they are at the end of their careers. The rest are a mishmash of Moyes, Lvg, and Mou signings so both morale and chemistry among the players must be low. We lack a leader both on the pitch and and in he dressing room and it's really starting to show.

The way i see it, we just need to hit the reset button (no not changing managers), but get back to basics and get a squad of players who really want to play for us, and not just look at us like a cash cow.

Defenders: Baily, Shaw
Mids: Herrera, Pogba, Mata, Lingaard (not that good i know, but hes local and a real character)
FW: Martial, Rashford

As things stand now, these are the only players i would want to keep at the club because they have the following
1) Talent or massive potential
2) An actual desire to wear the Utd jersey and get out there and give their all.

I mentioned in another thread: We just stole Athetico's head scout this summer (and we all know the amount of talent they are producing) so let's get scouting and rebuild the ship plank by plank. No more of these stop gap solutions by throwing massive amounts of money at star players who look at us like "just another club".

I know this is quite different from how Jose has done things in recent years, but he did it with Porto, so it's time to prove he can do it in a more competitive league
You forgot Young, Valencia, Jones, Smalling

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Agree with him.

It's a squad full of fear and losers.

Mourinho has weak players, but he's also responsible for the preparation of the game.

I though that one of Mou's strenght was to prepare his team as soldiers. It's clearly not working

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No but I'm not talking about results. There is a difference between bad results and a lack of motivation or dedication. Under Fergie I always felt that even though our football was shit in pockets and sometimes we lost in pockets, we always worked hard and looked motivated.
You can't separate the two. Believe me, when results were poor under Fergie this place was full of the exact same comments about how nobody gave a shit and the entire squad needed an overhaul. Yong and Lernin. Sack Frogie, Sell Goggs.

RoadTrip

They should be told twix

You can't separate the two. Believe me, when results were poor under Fergie this place was full of the exact same comments about how nobody gave a shit and the entire squad needed an overhaul. Yong and Lernin. Sack Frogie, Sell Goggs.
Doesn't make those comments right. I see a marked difference between the two but that's my opinion. Is what it is.

Jaybomb

Everyone will say Mourinho is "throwing his team under the bus", "losing the dressing room", but what he's saying is exactly right.

The players were pathetic last night. They deserve a bollocking for embarrassing the club like that.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Agree with him.

It's a squad full of fear and losers.

Mourinho has weak players, but he's also responsible for the preparation of the game.

I though that one of Mou's strenght was to prepare his team as soldiers. It's clearly not working
I think there are about 3 players who are fighting for him, the rest are just turning up for the game, then going home after the game. Trouble with that is those 3 players cannot carry a whole side. He is finding out about some of his players and I think will be unpleasantly surprised about how weak mentally they are. There needs to be big changes and changing the manager again will not help. He needs to get in who he wants. Not sure he actually wanted Mikhi at all. Ibra has let him down badly, Bailly has been the one upside. Pogba needs time to. He needs some ugly warriors in there.

FireballXL5

I think there's a lot of over-thinking going on. Basically the players we have, with a few exceptions, are just not good enough.
You can talk about mentality and commitment 'til the cows come home, but that's the core issue.
Jose needs a huge clearout, but who know what politics and skullduggery are going on behind the scenes?
At the moment we're pining for the fjords.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Yes he is partly responsible for the first two parts but as have been said in first few pages, the worry about 'throwing players under bus' is crap. If players are not doing enough, year after year, then they don't belong here and manager is right to criticize them when needed. I hope, instead of relations getting strained, players understand their role with this, do better and salvage season. After that or otherwise too, Woodward need to stand behind manager and if needed, we get rid of 7-8 players in next summer if that many players can't be arsed. It is not manager who should suffer because with new manager it will be same story.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
I see many are criticizing the players without taking into consideration that the atmosphere and the setup of the team directly influence the confidence of each player. Confidence and mental strenght are a product of a great working environment, more than something individual. That is the case in every team sport, be it football, handball, basketball & others.

I guess you could have made a case about De Bruyne lacking mental strenght and ambition to succeed at Chelsea under Mourinho. Was that really the case? No. Most players aren't naturally confident or have natural warrior mentality, but can shine and become winners in an environment that cultivates these traits.

Treble

I see many are criticizing the players without taking into consideration that the atmosphere and the setup of the team directly influence the confidence of each player. Confidence and mental strenght are a product of a great working environment, more than something individual. That is the case in every team sport, be it football, handball, basketball & others.

I guess you could have made a case about De Bruyne lacking mental strenght and ambition to succeed at Chelsea under Mourinho. Was that really the case? No. Most players aren't naturally confident or have natural warrior mentality, but can shine and become winners in an environment that cultivates these traits.
Spot on.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I think there are about 3 players who are fighting for him, the rest are just turning up for the game, then going home after the game. Trouble with that is those 3 players cannot carry a whole side. He is finding out about some of his players and I think will be unpleasantly surprised about how weak mentally they are. There needs to be big changes and changing the manager again will not help. He needs to get in who he wants. Not sure he actually wanted Mikhi at all. Ibra has let him down badly, Bailly has been the one upside. Pogba needs time to. He needs some ugly warriors in there.
He didn't wanted Mkhitaryan. Mino Raiola included him and Ibra in Pogba's deal this summer.

I think that Valencia, Bailly, Pogba, Herrera, Fellaini and Ibra are fighting for him.

Not sure about the English (Shaw, Smalling, Rooney and Carrick)

And I'm quite sure the others are feeling left aside by his management (Martial, Mata, Schneiderlin, Rojo, Memphis...)

I think that he should get rid of 3,4 players this winter (Morgan, Memphis, Young and Basti) and the rest this summer (Jones, Rojo, Rooney, Carrick and Darmian) in order to buy and work only with his type of players.

De Gea

New Right Back
New Center Back
Bailly
Blind/Shaw
New Midfielder
Pogba
Herrera
Mkhi
New Winger
New Striker/Ibra

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Having watched the difference in similar sets of players in Hodgson/Rafa and Rodgers/Klopp, I'd say the player's responsibility is not really meaningful to speak of.

Hodgson took a team that had been challenging for the title and used to excelling in Europe and turned them into weakwilled losers.

Rodgers moulded a side in his own image that was every bit as gormless and soft in the underbelly as he is. Now these players are fiercely focused worker bees.

Mentality is a top down thing. If the players aren't showing it, it's because the manager is not instilling it.