OFFICIAL: Raphael Varane is now a Manchester United player | Wears #19

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Absolutely. So simple, but classy. The suit. The crowd. Rio. Beautiful.

City will try and trump it with Kane…featuring some zany bloo fireworks and Wonderwall blasting out over the tannoy.
You know they will try something. And the press will lap it up.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Well then that’s different. IF he was asked and he didn’t then it’s poor.
Is it? Or would it be poor on the club to ask him? Or poor on Varane to demand the number treasured by a player who has been here a decade and struggled with chronic injuries?

fergosaurus

Well then that’s different. IF he was asked and he didn’t then it’s poor.
Personally I think if he was asked by the club then it's poor form on their part and not from Jones. We were foolish enough to give him a new contract just two years ago despite his woeful injury record.

We shouldn't turn around now and ask him to give up the number he's had for a decade because we have a shiny new toy. He'll be gone within 2 years most likely and Varane will get the #4 then providing he even wants it, so it's not that big of a deal.

davidmichael

What an unveiling, pure class and can’t wait to see Varane in a United shirt. Going up for the Villa game in late September then going to see The Courtneeners at the cricket ground that night, hope Varane is completely settled in by then.

Fully Fledged

Tony Martial walks into Woodward's office and says, "Hold on a minute. when you took the No 9 shirt off of me I could have just refused?"
Woodward, "Of course not the club dictate shirt numbers."
Martial, "Then how come Jones is able to refuse to give his shirt number to Verane?"
Woodward, "don't believe everything you read in the press."

Chief123

Thank you!

Has there been a better unveiling in recent time?

Tacky City and the effort they put in with Grealish v this. Plain, simple and absolute class.
To be fair if City tried to do the same and reveal him in the stadium, they would get more people in the local Tesco than their stadium.

Absolutely zero interest in anything city do from the public.

Chief123

Do you think he will walk sttaight in ? Im not convinced Ole will just drop Lindelof maybe he will be moved to the pivot or something but hopefully not
Lindelof will be straight out of the team with Varane coming in. Not even a question.

SirAnderson

Cavani not getting the 9, Bruno not getting the 8, Sancho not getting the 7, it feels like a club policy now rather than player’s choice after the Ibra-Martial kerfuffle.

Jones refused a testimonial because of the abuse, I find it hard to believe that he would make a meal out of the situation had he been asked for the shirt number.
Exactly this, and I feel rightly so.

Swedish_Plumber

The club got this one right. Such a great move to reward the returning fans with the announcement. Old Trafford was as loud as I’ve heard it throughout, Varane was the perfect warm up.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
What an unveiling, pure class and can’t wait to see Varane in a United shirt. Going up for the Villa game in late September then going to see The Courtneeners at the cricket ground that night, hope Varane is completely settled in by then.
There's absolutely no way United Villa and the Courteeners gig happen the same day, a 5 minute walk from one another, GMP won't have it even if the TV companies don't grab it. Expect the United game will move to the Sunday.

Manny

Grammar Police
This was SO worth the wait for that unveiling, absolute class.

Suit was crisp as well. Suave cnut :drool:
The dark suit was classy.

Now days players show up in these announcement photos looking like they heading out for pizza, or in some on trend suit that will look horrible next month.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Buzzed over that unvealing, today. Just so unexpected in manner given the way these things work nowadays.

RUCK4444

The dark suit was classy.

Now days players show up in these announcement photos looking like they heading out for pizza, or in some on trend suit that will look horrible next month.
Yeah exactly. Absolutely looked the part.

Crowd gave him an unreal welcome as well. What a feeling that must be eh.

el3mel

Has to be our best ever signing announcement surely ? Him appearing in full suit before a game in front of a full stadium, beats any social media video or tweet.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Has to be our best ever signing announcement surely ? Him appearing in full suit before a game in front of a full stadium, beats any social media video or tweet.
Was it announced before the game? Hell of a treat for the fans present

Fully Fledged

Cavani not getting the 9, Bruno not getting the 8, Sancho not getting the 7, it feels like a club policy now rather than player’s choice after the Ibra-Martial kerfuffle.

Jones refused a testimonial because of the abuse, I find it hard to believe that he would make a meal out of the situation had he been asked for the shirt number.
Yep

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Personally I think if he was asked by the club then it's poor form on their part and not from Jones. We were foolish enough to give him a new contract just two years ago despite his woeful injury record.

We shouldn't turn around now and ask him to give up the number he's had for a decade because we have a shiny new toy. He'll be gone within 2 years most likely and Varane will get the #4 then providing he even wants it, so it's not that big of a deal.
How on earth has the club not strip him off that shirt? Chelsea have stripped Rose Barkley off the number 8 shirt and giving it to Mateo Kovačić, Jones should have been forced off it to know he's not wanted here only then would he search for a new club for himself.

Thiagoal

How on earth has the club not strip him off that shirt? Chelsea have stripped Rose Barkley off the number 8 shirt and giving it to Mateo Kovačić, Jones should have been forced off it to know he's not wanted here only then would he search for a new club for himself.
Maybe because United have more class these days. ‘Ripping’ the number 9 of Martial in Jose’s days was unnecessary and likely to cause division. It’s just a number and not sure why people are so bothered

fergosaurus

Yeah, let's aspire to be a classy club like Chelsea. Do me a favour. I know we took Martial's number off him before but that was under Mourinho's management and I was against it. I expect United to treat our players with more respect and I'm glad our policy seems to have changed if reports are to be believed.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Maybe because United have more class these days. ‘Ripping’ the number 9 of Martial in Jose’s days was unnecessary and likely to cause division. It’s just a number and not sure why people are so bothered
Jones spends more time in the treatment room than on the field of play, why is the change of number bothering him?

Relem

Really excited about Varane. Honestly can't believe Real didn't stump up the wages. I think he'll complement Harry really well. The back 4 with him in it looks world class.

Real Name

I had a few for drink so I might be a bit..
Anyway despite all the stuff that have happened since Fergie retired this club is still special, it still has something, its still different to other clubs in a way.
I mean, fek all those tacky videos and stuff, we just unveiled a new player, great player, before the kick of in front of the full Old Trafford.

I mean, it's really special.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Varane: I'd like No.4
Utd: Sorry Rafa, that's Phil Jones no. and he doesn't want to give it up. We could do something similar to what we've done with Sancho, maybe 13?
Varane: 13? You kidding? Who's gonna want to wear 13?
Utd: What about 5-1?

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
More to the point, why is the number bothering you?
Is not everyday you get a world cup, 4 times UCL wining player signed from Real Madrid, If Varane had ask for the shirt which i believed he has, Jones should have giving it to him out of respect to the club, a Club that has giving him contracts extension when he's not played anything near deserving such faith and support.

Halftrack

This is borderline psychotic, have a word with yourself.

If Varane had ask for the shirt which i believed he has
So, based entirely on Luckhurst's dumbass assumption that Phil Jones refused to give up his shirt number, you're arguing that the club should join the line of absolute weapons treating him like shit.

How about you go away, yeah? This club doesn't need people like you.

Last edited:

SungSam7

He felt more love from the United fans in that 1 minute than he ever did from them entitled lot from Madrid in 6 years....... Welcome to a loving home Varane!