Official: Solskjær has left his role as manager

Crimson King

Terrible decision of looking to appoint only an interim to the end of the season.

We needed a permanent manager now who would decide on the summer in-comings (and also convince Ronaldo and Pogba to stay). This is basically throwing this season away + damaging the 22/23 one.

What a stupid club.
Pogba isn't going to stay, and you shouldn't want him to anymore. It's an been about him and his agent ever since he came back, and his performances have never been consistent enough to warrant that headache.

Ronaldo has performed a lot of rescue acts and I don't think he's flopped at all, but he obviously alters the way we have to play. Ole didn't know how to reconcile that with the rest of the team. Ultimately we might have been better off not bringing him back, but we'll probably never know for sure.

The DoF needs to make decisions on the long term structure if the squad, that's the whole point of having one.

BuzzKillington

Sad news but it’s still a couple of weeks too late, that Liverpool game was truly unforgivable and was worth the bullet on its own.

Wish the guy the best of luck, he may not have been a good enough manager for Manchester United but he was still a legend of the club, a genuinely nice bloke and didn’t deserve most of the vitriol he received on here.

Hopefully, when peoples (sometimes justifiable) anger has died down they can appreciate some of the good things he did and we can just move onwards and upwards.

Reactions: langster

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
He did his best can't blame him holding on to his dream job. Norway NT or back to Molde after a break is my guess.
No chance. Molde has also been consistently better without him for years now, going back as far as his Cardiff stint

JTW95

Gullible sausage
How do people know Carrick isn't a good coach? I didn't kmow members of the Cafe have access to training and what he does behind the scenes.

Stop moaning. Ole is gone you have your wish. Carrick is obviously just going to be for a week or 2 maximum while we try and find an acceptable manager to take us to the end of the season.

Then I guess at the end of the season they might go for a Ten Hag or another option might become available.

Norris Cole

Thanks for the memories.

This club was a cesspit when we sacked Mourinho and the future looked bleak. The players weren't happy or simply not good enough.

Now Ole is leaving we at least have signs that the club is improving off the field and we have a talented squad that is ready to challenge at the very top.

MUFromLTU

Good luck in the future, Ole!

Doubt any manager will improve the results massively but after yesterday this had to be done nonetheless.

ShinjiNinja26

Do you have much faith in the board to find someone who fits that description if you conversely disagree with the board for keeping Ole on so long?
Not particularly, but the coaching has been so poor recently that any half decent tactician that knows how to set a team up would get a better tune out of these players. We really have to get the next permanent appointment right though but with this board they’ll more than likely feck it up again.

Superunknown

It's sad that it ended this way, but it is the right move. He will always be a club legend in my eyes and this season in particular doesn't change how I view him as a player. It just hasn't worked out. There have been some great times, though.

I hope that the next proper manager we go for is someone who is exciting and will modernise us. We need fresh, forward-thinking ideas. We're spending a lot of time out there in the wilderness.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Was becoming very obvious that he hadn't got a clue how to take us to the next level, but the interim period and patches in his spell afterwards were the best times to be a United fan since Ferguson's retirement.

I hope he gets a fecking fat payoff, enjoys Christmas with his family in peace and quiet, and hears his chant sung if he chooses to tune into a United game in the meantime.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
So you finally make the right decision months later and at a very good time too. You are still in the Champions League and can still make top 4 with a good run.

The new manager can come in now and give players a fresh start and sort out the players worth keeping and those who are expendable. More importantly, like Tuchel, you can implement a style now and by next season the players are used to the new style and tactics. It’s a fantastic time to bring in a new manager and the decision has been made at the right time. It also lets you try players in different positions like us with James, Chilwell, Chalobah and Hudson-Odoi.

No wonder you lot go mental. All of the above and your board decide to use an interim and let the manager come in during the summer. Bloody hell. That is about as stupid a decision as you will ever see at a football club. Instead of 7 months and 25+ competitive games of preparation he will have friendlies and very little time. Bizarre

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Looking forward to the forthcoming Telegraph/Atlantic/MEN ‘behind the scenes’ feature later today/tomorrow to give us the low-down on how it all unfolded…

Kassadin

Thank you and good luck Ole. Despite the poor results on the pitch, he did handle himself with class. He is still a legend.

Ralph1386

Carrick for next few games with the same coaching staff, before a interim takes over. Its says it all. They are looking for a new pupit who is gonna use the same coaching team as Ole. Nothing has changed. Fecking useless club. Its gonna get worse and worse and worse.
I’m sure even the interim manager will bring some of his staff as well, meaning Carrick and co might not stay long term. They had to keep him to at least have someone in charge against Villareal.

NoLogo

I hoped for a long time this would work out because I loved Ole the player but it's been clear even to someone like me who really hoped he would come good for quite a while now that he and his staff are out of their depth.

Now interim manager until the end of the season better not be someone from his own staff or we are just as fecked as we are right now. Next person who comes in better freshen up the incompetent training team as well.

thesheriffjw

Goodbye and good riddance.

Let his heart rule his head. Trying to be nice guy all the time never works

Needed a ruthless streak, but he didnt have it in him

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Wish him all the best - hope he gets back into coaching somewhere and enjoys it.

Glazers have completely mismanaged his appointment from start to finish and should be protested against.

He should’ve gone after the EL defeat… he then should’ve gone after the Foxes defeat… the dippers thrashing was obviously already too far, then the City one should’ve done it.

Why on Earth they wasted the International break with him on holiday and then brought him back for that yesterday is beggars’ belief.

I just hope Utd fans can Unite and begin demanding better than this.

Michael Carrick should be nowhere near the club, and I just hope that this means a complete overhaul in the coaching and also on the woeful nepotism and cronyism that has brought Man Utd to its knees in recent years.

Good luck and much love to Ole.
There’s more to his week holiday then we know about in my opinion. I think the decision was taken to sack him weeks ago, but we just haven’t been able to convince anybody to take the job mid-season. We hoped Ole could limp on while we convinced Zidane, but last night it became so bad we had to act. Zidane clearly isn’t interested and now we’re scratching around trying to fill the void for the next 6 months, while also needing a more immediate body in the dugout for Tuesday.

rk4utd

Zidane doesn’t fancy taking over this feckless bunch - or Zidane has said yes to taking over in the summer with a proper pre season/grasp of the language etc. He has bought a penthouse in Manchester so I’m guessing the latter….

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Legend always. Thanks for the effort with the club.

tomaldinho1

Better late than never. We can still get through in CL and top four is very realistic.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Good luck for the future. Thanks for the trophies won

Red_Aaron

I think he did a decent job, built a squad with a good mix of ages and the experience he added this summer was very good.

Midfield has been an issue since SAF which none of our managers have been able to fix

In the crunch moments he came up short, at times through bad luck and at times from being too passive

I wonder had one of the 11 pens Villareal needed to win the EL just gone wide whether we could've really kicked on with that bit of extra belief but it wasn't to be

Unquestionably put the club first and can leave with his head held high

He'll always be rapturously welcomed by the OT faithful

Tony247

How is it better to sack Ole but keep the rest of the coaching staff, worse even promote one of them as interim manager! All of them equally responsible for this shambles. I guess the club don't have any option right now and I hope that is the only reason.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Why would that be a bad thing?

If the players play for him and he gets results then keep him until Ten Hag arrives in the summer.
Haven't you learned anything from the Ole appointment?

If a 12 year old gets behind the wheel and it makes it to his friend's house safely, why not let him keep driving?

My mum could win 2-3 games in a row with Manchester United. It's not an accomplishment. I'm being dead serious here. There's a good percentage chance she could, whether its 4% or 20% I don't know. Carrick hasn't accomplished anything as a manager, ever.

There's a greater chance Carrick implodes after a short good run than a more accomplished manager, the same way long term Carrick would probably do a better job than my mum long term.

There's tons of managers available with loads of experience the players know who the feck they are and will respect to a certain level. Get one of those 'till the end of the season.
It's obvious no one respected Ole, they were just happy to keep getting picked despite underperforming and he was one of the boys. So much was obvious from watching him yell at Martial to make off the ball runs for an entire season.

Besides it's clear as day the coaching is shit. Ole was responsible in the end, but it doesn't bode well for Carrick, McKenna and Phelan's chances as manager. A lot of top manager actually stood out as assistants first. Our poor coaching should be a warning sign.

Affirmation

It's been coming for a while and it probably should have happened a long time ago, but thanks Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Watching a club legend take on the manager role and bring back that feel good factor was awesome to experience.

Rex Banner

Right decision, albeit about a month too late. There was no coming back from that Liverpool game.

Interim until the Summer sounds about right. I imagine all the first choices wouldn't want to come mid season or they're waiting on certain managers to be be available, Pochettino comes to mind.

I understand people wanting the entire coaching staff gone and I think they should go eventually, but we can't just get rid of everyone immediately, we'd have no coaches left.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
True but the interim stuff is so disheartening, a part time manager taking over with all of Ole’s coaching staff? Seems like an awful way to finish out the season.

Whats the point of an interim in November? how is that supposed to work when everybody knows he’s off in the summer.
In a way we might find out who did the most harm to this team, if it was Ole or the coaching staff. It depends who they bring in as interim and if he can knock the team into shape over a short space of time. He might have to override the coaching staff if they are the main problem.

Peter Parker's Mask

Supports
Manchester City
Not going to lie, and pretend I'm anything other than very disappointed at this news. But, he was an astonishing appointment in the first place, given his less than impressive managerial CV. Did the board seriously think that, given his status among utd fans, he would be a good manager for a club the size of utd? Or were they simply trying to ingratiate themselves with the fanbase by appointing what could be seen as "one of their own"?