Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Anything that isn't the usual copy-paste bowl would be a great start. There's some more interesting designs of newer grounds in American football, such as this one I mentioned early on in thread:

I love the industrial look of it, and that massive window makes it seem like a sporting cathedral on the inside. Would be open to anything that's a touch outside the box and fits the character of the city a bit more than variant #183 of "shiny and round".
Weird thing is though.

OT was the original bowl that everything else was copy/pasted from.

It was a bowl to begin with

It was a bowl in the heyday of Busby

And then when fully redeveloped you can follow the line from OT in 1994 to every identikit bowl that followed afterwards

If the new ground was any other shape it wouldn't feel very OT like.

stevoc

Weird thing is though.

OT was the original bowl that everything else was copy/pasted from.

It was a bowl to begin with

It was a bowl in the heyday of Busby

And then when fully redeveloped you can follow the line from OT in 1994 to every identikit bowl that followed afterwards

If the new ground was any other shape it wouldn't feel very OT like.
There's probably a bit more thought put into the design of £1-2B stadiums these days then there was back in the day though. Plus OT hasn't looked like a flat bowl for almost 3 decades, it might not be the most aesthetically pleasing stadium in Europe but it's pretty unique and recognisable at this stage.

Spoony

The People's President
There's probably a bit more thought put into the design of £1-2B stadiums these days then there was back in the day though. Plus OT hasn't looked like a flat bowl for almost 3 decades, it might not be the most aesthetically pleasing stadium in Europe but it's pretty unique and recognisable at this stage.
I love how it looked in the 80s.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Of course there is more thought put into designing stadiums these days, but I'm saying if for example, we just copy/pasted the Colts design, whilst very architecturally pleasing in itself, it wouldn't feel like a new Old Trafford. Certainly aspects of the outside of it could be something we look at because it's similar to the warehouse/mills/etc of Manchester and the surrounding area but inside we'd have to be quite specific.

For me, at least the bottom tier has to be a bowl shape in any new ground. Hopefully they'd have a massive one tier stand behind the goal that we call the Stretty still because that's what football grounds are going for these days and it can be done whilst the rest of the ground takes any shape that it does but generally, Old Trafford has to be a bowl of some variety, enclosed wrap around corners and all the rest, to keep a tie to the way the current ground looks. I think that would help to allay some of the fears of those that want to keep the current ground.

It's just what sparks in my head when someone mentions 'a soulless bowl' because Old Trafford pioneered that very design.

sparx99

Of course there is more thought put into designing stadiums these days, but I'm saying if for example, we just copy/pasted the Colts design, whilst very architecturally pleasing in itself, it wouldn't feel like a new Old Trafford. Certainly aspects of the outside of it could be something we look at because it's similar to the warehouse/mills/etc of Manchester and the surrounding area but inside we'd have to be quite specific.

For me, at least the bottom tier has to be a bowl shape in any new ground. Hopefully they'd have a massive one tier stand behind the goal that we call the Stretty still because that's what football grounds are going for these days and it can be done whilst the rest of the ground takes any shape that it does but generally, Old Trafford has to be a bowl of some variety, enclosed wrap around corners and all the rest, to keep a tie to the way the current ground looks. I think that would help to allay some of the fears of those that want to keep the current ground.

It's just what sparks in my head when someone mentions 'a soulless bowl' because Old Trafford pioneered that very design.
That’s how a new ground would work for me. I love the Colts stadium but obviously it should be inspiration rather than a template.

If we took elements of the modern industrial look, single tiered stands, safe standing rail seating and all the other modern best practice it could be amazing.

Incorporating red brick in the facade and some form of cantilever to mimic the current roof structure would go a long way to keeping the Old Trafford feel.

The YouTube video with three options does a horrible job of demonstrating modern stadium design. Yes, option b or c may be a new build but it doesn’t have to be some shiny bowl.

stevoc

Ah fair enough I get you now mate. That stadium is fantastic and quite unique.

If OT has to be rebuilt I'd love something modern but that also takes some design ques from the current OT and incorporate familiar features into it.

Dan_F

Probably just cheaper to get a plumber in lads. I’m all up for modernisation, whether it’s a new stadium or upgrading the current one, but it won’t be because the toilets leaked once.

Although it did remind me of the away end at Bristol City in the league cup a few years back. Swear it was at least an inch of piss covering the floor there.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Old Trafford is in really poor shape in a lot of areas. I don't think many people realise just how bad it is.

I'm in the new Stadium camp as long as the name is kept in some capacity.

decorativeed

Knock it down.

Start again.
The thing that people also don't realise when this happens is that usually the piss leaks down to the facilities below them. In the past, this has included the stores where the museum's collection is held.

stevoc

Knock it down.

Start again.
Yep I did the same with my house, had a leak in the upstairs bathroom. Didn't call a plumber though feck that waste of time and money. Got the demolition company in, they had the house down and cleared in a day best £15 grand I've ever spent. Only cost me another £80k to have it rebuilt as well. The only problem is the fecking shower's leaking again though

stevoc

Old Trafford is in really poor shape in a lot of areas. I don't think many people realise just how bad it is.

I'm in the new Stadium camp as long as the name is kept in some capacity.
If you build a new stadium you can't really call it Old Trafford can you?

Even spurs changes the name of their stadium.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
When you look behind the curtain at OT it really is getting rough.

lex talionis

I’m torn on this one, renovate or rebuild. Both cases have merit, but at this point I’d say renovate but in the end it may just make a lot more sense to rebuild.

stevoc

Totally irrelevant. Old Trafford is the area it's situated in.
I'm aware but it's also been the name of the stadium for over a century. If we re-built it on the same spot fair enough but if we build a new stadium somewhere I'm not sure you can really call it OT.

The_Order

So many of you seem oddly into this.

Don't know how many self proclaimed biggest club in the world are routinely embarrassed like this regarding it's facilities. Some of you seem very content with a lick of paint.

I won't kink shame you though.

TrueRed79

Don't know how many self proclaimed biggest club in the world are routinely embarrassed like this regarding it's facilities. Some of you seem very content with a lick of paint.

Agreed. Find it odd that people think that's all it needs. It makes way more sense to build a new stadium next to OT and start anew. I love Spurs new stadium. Not a generic bowl. Has character while looking and being ultra modern. Not saying that's what we should be looking for. But the bar should be set that high and fans deserve the best. Not a piss filled jacks and leaky roofs.

redcucumber

I'm not soft enough that a blocked pipe at OT makes me embarrassed to support the club. Who is saying they'd be content with a lick of paint? The debate is quite obviously about vast renovation vs. complete rebuild.

redcucumber

Agreed. Find it odd that people think that's all it needs. It makes way more sense to build a new stadium next to OT and start anew. I love Spurs new stadium. Not a generic bowl. Has character while looking and being ultra modern. Not saying that's what we should be looking for. But the bar should be set that high and fans deserve the best. Not a piss filled jacks and leaky roofs.
Nobody thinks that's all it needs (unless I've missed it).

The_Order

I'm not soft enough that a blocked pipe at OT makes me embarrassed to support the club. Who is saying they'd be content with a lick of paint? The debate is quite obviously about vast renovation vs. complete rebuild.
What's really soft is not letting go.

If you need to go as far as to change the pipes. any kind of renovation is just an expensive kick of the can down proverbial road.

Start from a strong foundation.

wolvored

Dont some fans call it old toilet anyway?
If whoever buy it wants to make it bigger, it cant stay on the same spot anyway. Be easier to do a spurs and build to the west of where it is now. Leave OT standing until the new one is built.