g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Highest Goals Per Game ratio since Sir Alex retired. We've done alright this season. Biggest problem this season has been that GA column. That has to be fixed if we want to actually win something next season.
Season​
Games​
GF​
GA​
Goals Per Game​
20-21​
61​
121​
68​
2.0​
19-20​
61​
112​
51​
1.8​
18-19​
53​
85​
70​
1.6​
17-18​
56​
101​
40​
1.8​
16-17​
64​
105​
46​
1.6​
15-16​
59​
87​
54​
1.5​
14-15​
44​
71​
44​
1.6​
13-14​
55​
94​
57​
1.7​
12-13​
54​
114​
65​
2.1​
11-12​
54​
120​
56​
2.2​

Which is why we are looking at cbs I believe

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
It's simply stupid. There's zero context to take from it and it's been done to death. Just because other managers struggled in the past too it doesn't mean Ole will turn out the next Klopp. And for the record: Pool's football improved almost immediately. Klopp brought a high pressing and high energy game to them that made their football very entertaining. Plus he had a great record at Dortmund that justified patience.
But we know all to well now that past history means feck all. Four years ago there were Liverpool fans who wanted Klopp out. Jose is as successful as they come and went to shit as well. Zidane and Pep had zero top flight experience when they took over Real and Barca and we all know how that went

Of course past accolades is going to give a manager more or less rope depending on what they have achieved, but when a manager has been at a club for 2+ years it should really stop to matter

SAFMUTD

We need a Salah. He and TAA has bailed him out time and time again.
Salah wasn't what he is when Liverpool bought him neither TAA was when he debuted. That's a case about Klopp developing and improving players.

It seems under Ole we need to buy the finished article because we don't trust him to develop them.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Salah wasn't what he is when Liverpool bought him neither TAA was when he debuted. That's a case about Klopp developing and improving players.

It seems under Ole we need to buy the finished article because we don't trust him to develop them.
So who improved Luke Shaw? AWB wasn't the finished article when we bought him. Mason Greenwood has clearly improved under Ole and McTominay too.

Amad was a big investment and the club sanctioned that transfer because they trust Ole to bring him through.

Polar

Klopp had a shitty year, and still finished really close to us. What does that tells us? They even progressed further than us in the UCL.

How was Tuchel a clown after winning the french league and losing the UCL final by just one goal against an espectacular Bayern team? Nonsense.

I think mentioning which final is an important detail, he lost the EUROPA LEAGUE final ffs, he lost against a much lesser team and we lost because he shit the bed, lost in a competition we were only in because he fecked un in UCL group stage.

Thing is that Pep gets criticized for losing a UCL final after winning a the league and league cup. Ole is not even on the same bracket. We discuss about him because he's our manager but around the world he's a nobody, seen as another Pirlo a guy without credentials failing at a club. People make fun of us, it's embarrassing to keep saying it's a process it takes time when we are clearly betting on the wrong horse.

This is not a Nagelsmann case a young revolutionary manager that may or not may be the next big thing, this is a manager that's been around for over 10 years without showing any proof of being anything special. It's ridiculous.
I’m glad Dortmund didn’t have your approach when they hired Klopp or Tuchel :lol:

Suppose it’s more about people making fun of you than us. Your embarrassment! I’m not embarrassed and most of my friends doesn’t laugh of Ole. They laugh of the mess we were in pre-Ole. He has proved he is able to reshape the club and build a new more promising team for the future. Our future hasn’t been more promising for a decade.

I don’t mind constructive critique, but you are way out of line with your negativity and characteristics of one of our own:nono: Ole is staying one more year. If that’s very hard for you to swallow, I recommend you to take a break from this forum.

United in sin

So who improved Luke Shaw? AWB wasn't the finished article when we bought him. Mason Greenwood has clearly improved under Ole and McTominay too.

Amad was a big investment and the club sanctioned that transfer because they trust Ole to bring him through.
Shaw has always been good. Pochetinno did a great job developing him. His only issues here have been overall fitness and Mourinho's bizarre treatment of him.

If you take a look at this forum many seem to hold the opinion that AWB hasn't progressed as much as you'd expect, that his attacking play still needs more work. We'd be looking at a different player under a Klopp or Pep IMO. I rate him mind.

Greenwood is a massive talent who actually regressed somewhat this season but has been saved by his goal return in the latter stages of the season I spite of Solskjaer's overall mismanagement of him.

Amad is a heavy investment who Solskjaer was still afraid to try in a big match when we needed something different. If Solskjaer was in charge in 14-15 we'd have likely never seen the debut of Rashford against Arsenal.

SAFMUTD

Luke Shaw clearly improved, AWB is still not the finished article and we pay a premium fee for him.

Mason is a generational talent he will naturally improve no matter who's the manager, of course he can improve faster or slower or reach different high according to management.

Has McTominay really improved? He's not even good enough to be a starter.

I mean Klopp has TAA, Robertson, Mane, Salah, Firminho, Wijnaldum, Henderson as examples that he can improve players, and by improving I mean turning them in to top players.

Players naturally improve or decline with time but the manager can boost it, besides Shaw do you think any other players development has been boosted? I mean Martial has regressed, Rashford has stagnated, Fred and McTominay may have improved a little but are still so far away from top quality that I find ridiculous to mention them as examples.

SAFMUTD

I’m glad Dortmund didn’t have your approach when they hired Klopp or Tuchel :lol:

Suppose it’s more about people making fun of you than us. Your embarrassment! I’m not embarrassed and most of my friends doesn’t laugh of Ole. They laugh of the mess we were in pre-Ole. He has proved he is able to reshape the club and build a new more promising team for the future. Our future hasn’t been more promising for a decade.

I don’t mind constructive critique, but you are way out of line with your negativity and characteristics of one of our own:nono: Ole is staying one more year. If that’s very hard for you to swallow, I recommend you to take a break from this forum.
That's my thing, it's hard for me to accept that we are ok to continue with "promising" instead of demanding results. Im glad you enjoy football this way, maybe I should give up as you say and accept the fact that we are not an ambitious club and this is our reality now but I find it hard just yet.

el3mel

You are not wrong. The ones who have been crawling out of their caves for the last 3 weeks are basically people who want us to lose and want to see Ole fail because they despise him. They were miserable for a good 2-3 months there when we were doing well but can finally have some joy now with us losing EL and Tuchel winning CL. They will be back here early next season hoping we get destroyed so Ole can be fired, will crawl back into their caves if we start off well (which I expect after a Summer off) and will be back in force when we are struggling. Same cycle all the time. It must be weird being a fan but despising a manager and deep inside wanting the club to fail miserably so he can be gone and you can be proven right.
Such posts is why this place is toxic, not the other way around. Imagine actually thinking anyone who doesn't worship the current manager wants us to lose and want to see United fail. Just a crap argument that helps initiate flame wars more.

No, we don't want to see United fecking lose. We don't want the manager to fail. We just think he's not good enough for the job and that the EL final proved all his problems as a coach. We're entitled to our opinion. If you don't like to see it, if you want to see people praising the manager you like, put all of us on the ignore list and only leave the posts who think Ole is the best manager for United out of it, and enjoy the forum.

Last edited:

LJJT

Did you not watch that specific game though? Our first goal, a misshit back pass from the defender that left Lukaku 1v1, the second goal was an uncharacteristic spill from Buffon that dropped it right into our lap, the third was a penalty. PSG were all over us that match and we barely did anything of note, fortunately we came out with the win but of all the matches to defend Ole on, i can't agree that this is the one.
Mate it was fecking 3 years ago. I’ve moved on. It’s the same shit though knocking the manager just for the sake of it

LJJT

Reductive. I didn't say every game we win is because of luck, and every game we lose is because Ole is shit. That's a strawman you've built there.

Why don't you address the specific criticisms I had about that game? The legitimate reasons I gave for why that performance, despite the result, was not good? Because that's the root of all my issues with this manager.

What is 'moving in the right direction'? No trophies in four years? Finishing just 5 points ahead of a Liverpool side who had a shocking season and will surely do better next year? Our points total of 74 would have had us third in 2019/20 and 2018/19, fifth in 2017/18 and sixth in 2016/17. For obvious reasons, it's been a strange league this season. And Mourinho, the guy Solskjaer replaced, remains the manager with the highest points tally post-Fergie. That's progress?
Not arsed about that game it was ages ago.

LJJT

We are a far better team than we where under Jose and Lvg, if we get some good players in the summer and we still fail then fine-bash him all you want. But for now feck off and support the manager and the club because the shitty car crash we have been is long gone

MoskvaRed

Such posts is why this place is toxic, not the other way around. Imagine actually thinking anyone who doesn't worship the current manager wants us to lose and want to see United fail. Just a crap argument that helps initiate flame wars more.

No, we don't to see United fecking lose. We don't want the manager to fail. We just think he's not good enough for the job and that the EL final proved all his problems as a coach. We're entitled to our opinion. If you don't like to see it, if you want to see people praising the manager you like, put all of us on the ignore list and onle leave the posts who thinks Ole is the best manager for United out of it, and enjoy the forum.

Preach...I don’t get the point of a forum if exercising your critical faculties about our manager’s suitability is seen as blasphemy. We support Manchester United, and, as we head into year 9 of mediocrity, want to see us have the best chance of competing at the top table again. Anything else is distraction, facetious or otherwise, and the fact our current manager played for us 20 years ago is as irrelevant to me as the fact that Matt Busby captained Liverpool.

Godfather

You'd like that wouldn't you ;)

Seriously though, I didn't realise our GA was that bad this season. A defensive shakeup might not be a bad thing at all.
Bit worrying two of the defenders responsible were bought under our current manager. So either his buys aren't all that or we aren't coached well enough. I tend to go with the latter

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What do you make of Ole trusting Lindelof so much from the off? It's one of the (many) decisions people criticized from the very start, and two years on it's still costing us.
I think at first he may have thought he’d get better. But his time is up. At least that’s what I hope!

LJJT

That's a factually wrong statement. So no people criticizing Ole will not "feck off". Get off your high horse.
Well in my view we are. I’ve loved the Ole era so far and hope to enjoy it even more next year. I will be supporting him and the club if you don’t want to them go support Chelsea or the current vogue team

SAFMUTD

No, we don't to see United fecking lose. We don't want the manager to fail. We just think he's not good enough for the job and that the EL final proved all his problems as a coach. We're entitled to our opinion. If you don't like to see it, if you want to see people praising the manager you like, put all of us on the ignore list and onle leave the posts who thinks Ole is the best manager for United out of it, and enjoy the forum.
Exactly it seems this is a place to cheer up our players and manager, it's not. It's a forum to debate and interchange opinions.

All this "you should go support another club" is the same as if to say you don't like our prime minister? You should go to another country you're not a patriot.

Ralph1386

I was going to answer him but I’m happy you did. I agree with what you said.

Womp

idiot
But we know all to well now that past history means feck all. Four years ago there were Liverpool fans who wanted Klopp out. Jose is as successful as they come and went to shit as well. Zidane and Pep had zero top flight experience when they took over Real and Barca and we all know how that went

Of course past accolades is going to give a manager more or less rope depending on what they have achieved, but when a manager has been at a club for 2+ years it should really stop to matter
So what then do we use to justify Ole? He has a very poor history of winning trophies and he is also not delivering currently.

Sweet Square

But you never know what that idiot Woodward would have done. He might go and get a worse manager than Ole.
Genuinely what do you get out of supporting United ? If it's making you dislike a club legend and hating one of the best United nights in recent years then why continue ? Wanting you're own team to lose should be a sign that maybe this football thing isn't for you anymore.

Tbh I don't think enough people ask themselves why they are wasting their free time being miserable about a football team that at least on the surface level they seem to hate. Sometimes things are just not worth the time and energy anymore.

Foxbatt

Genuinely what do you get out of supporting United ? If it's making you dislike a club legend and hating one of the best United nights in recent years then why continue ? Wanting you're own team to lose should be a sign that maybe this football thing isn't for you anymore.

Tbh I don't think enough people ask themselves why they are wasting their free time being miserable about a football team that at least on the surface level they seem to hate. Sometimes things are just not worth the time and energy anymore.
I have been a supporter since 1967. I want the best for the club. I do not support just because a player was a legend at United. I have supported them and gone to see United in the old second division too. Ole is not the best manager United could have got. It is simple. The man who has the best chance of bringing success to United should be the man to manage United.

OmarUnited4ever

Mostly it comes down to what perspective we take if you’re Ole in/out.

If I take a long term perspective then I keep him for a year or three. Mainly because I want him to finish the clear out and rebuild our squad to a decent level. We’re still two or three years away until that’s completed. I don’t want defend his tactical skills but until we have two midfielders who can keep possession and dictate the tempo it’s hard to challenge for a PL or a CL title. McFred is very good without the ball but in possession they’re average, sometimes even worthless.

If Ole can start one season with an upgraded midfield then I think he has a good chance to challenge all the best teams. If I was in charge I would immediately tell him to upgrade his coaching staff. Pronto. We need someone at the side line who can when necessary make tactical changes without hesitation.

If I look at it short term then I hire Conte or Zidane, Especially Zizo will attracts almost all young French talents to be part of his project. But then we talk about maximum two three seasons.

My hesitation with short term solution is because we still have Woodward and the Glazers on top of this project. That’s a concern. If I look at it with a positive view then I take the blueprint from the Bucs. When Tom Brady took command (don’t believe anything else) and made the important calls then they never looked back. Zidane has a similar background both as player (and manager) and his decisiveness and personality is the key to make a similar journey.

Finally. We can all make strong arguments for both views. It’s not black or white. Both solutions has there merits and limitations.

I disagree with this, we do not need another 2-3 years, Ole should be able to challenge next season if he is backed with the right players of starting quality, a minimum of CB, DM/CM & RW should give Ole a quality 11 with decent backups if some of the current XI are dropped as backups.

OmarUnited4ever

So we sack him because he lost the EL final?

I don't think he should be sacked now, even with the EL Final loss, which was a failure, let's not kid ourselves here, but for the moment, I am supportive of the manager because of the overall progress he has made in the last 2 seasons, and the squad now is in better shape than it was when he took over, with few departures, for the likes of Jones, Mata, Matic, Lingard, Pereira, Dalot, and 3/4 new XI quality players, that makes the squad strong enough to go all the way in PL title charge

Next season though, at least in my eyes, I won't accept anything less than a PL title challenge/title win, and QF in UCL, given he gets 3/4 players of starting quality, but even if he gets only 2 quality players who can slot into the XI, he should still be able to work with what he has and challenge city, because by now, he has spent 2 years of time and gained enough working experience with this squad.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No, except not winning anything, we sack him because he proved that he lacks knowledge to win in games like this. How many proof you people need, ffs? His performances in those knockout games are shambolic. He picks 11, tells them to enjoy in game and that is it. Frozen on the bench without any instinct to influence the game.

Womp

idiot
No, we sack him because he's not good enough, not a result of one game. His trophy haul is very underwhelming for the amount of time he's been a manager, so that's not something we can point at for hope, the football we play is unorganized and individualistic, his usage of the squad outside of the first 11 is dreadful, his in game management is terrible/non existent at times. Those are why we should sack him.

Simply put, he's failed with this team for 2 and a half years now. Unless him making all the players happier and being more likeable is how you judge the manager of Manchester United, rather than on actual success, in that case, he's as good as it gets.

He's a great man manager, he's obviously very liked by the players and they play for him, but from a coaching stand point he's simply not up to it and that is more important than ever in the current football climate.

Lastly, it may be a bit of an unpopular opinion, but with the money we've spent and the size of this club, I am getting sick of us hiring pragmatic managers who force this team to play as underdogs against any dangerous team

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.