Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Perfect antidote to the incessant negativity which engulfed the club for the past 12-18 months under Mourinho, with the past six months being particularly unsavoury.

Positivity, attacking football, getting our United swagger back, a club legend at the helm... who could not fall in love with that?

Bojan11

Let’s get behind him. Hopefully he can coach our brainless attackers how to score.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
This is the best the club could have hoped for. This season is done and the decision on the next manager will imo make or break the future of this club . It was obvious jose couldn't go on so sacking him was needed but it would have been a big ask to take the decision of the replacement straight away. Let's take our time this time and make the right decision

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ridiculous appointment. Everyone seems so giddy in here. All I’ve read is that the people in charge ‘know nothing about football’ and the rest of it, and now they have gone and made Ole Gunnar Solskjaer the manager, and the caf celebrates. This is making us even more of a circus in my opinion. Ole won 3 out of 18 PL games and now he’s in the United Job. What’s the plan? Everyone smiles all day at Carrington now instead of apparently frowning? Okay great. Now what about setting up a football team?

Alabaster Codify7

It won't be successful but he's one of our own and it'll be great to see him walk those lads out and give it his all.

Best of luck Ole you lovely bloke,go get 'em. Lets bring a smile back to the club win,lose or draw!!!!!!!

And huge credit to him for not needing a second thought before coming to try and help!

Jacko21

Is this what City and Liverpool fans had in mind they were chanting 'Ole, ole, ole,' as they played us off the park this season?

Born2Lose

Don't know what I'm enjoying more, Mourinho's sacking, Ole being appointed or all the pragma bores on here moaning about it.

ZenMaster Coltrane

Good luck to the players if they think we'll turn on Ole before them.
This is your first thought and what you decide to post? That's the thinking of a propaganda lemming. Terrible attitude when we're at the beginning of a new beginning.

Matthew84!

Wasn‘t he sacked by Crystal Palace or some lower table PL club a while ago? Smells like Milan appointing Seedorf, Inzaghi, Gattuso etc and not getting any rewards
I think it was Cardiff, yeah I agree it's a very strange appointment, very little experience, hope it doesn't back fire and we finish mid table

Ban

Genuinely no idea what to expect. Which is exciting, I guess?

If he can prove there’s the makings of a good, exciting attacking side in there (which I’m sure there is) then I’ll be happy.
This is good cause we have more than enough time to plan and see who the next permanent manager should be. Not jumping from one to the other quickly. And who knows maybe Ole will turn out to be great.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

10 Years ago.

It's just going to be good watching someone give his all to United. Even if it doesn't work out, we'll know, without question, that he did his best for the Club. I can live with that.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
We’re still in the CL and FA cup, have (had) an outside chance of top 4 and we appoint probably the one player that has the worst managerial record(in terms of PL and proper leagues) of any ex player. Words fail me.

United Pro

I don't actually think we could be more open at the back than we have been. This when we've been playing defensive football. I won't mind us playing a more chaotic style as long as we start scoring more goals.
Fully agree. We currently concede a ridiculous number of goals whilst playing restricted football from an attacking perspective. So, I'd rather the players just go for it. I'd prefer a 5-4 then a 0-0 scoreline.

Djemba-Djemba

It's just going to be good watching someone give his all to United. Even if it doesn't work out, we'll know, without question, that he did his best. I can live with that.
We'll know whatever happens, he loves the club and everything he does will be to benefit the club. He won't try and spin any victories as his personal glory and deflect blame when we lose.

0le

Ridiculous appointment. Everyone seems so giddy in here. All I’ve read is that the people in charge ‘know nothing about football’ and the rest of it, and now they have gone and made Ole Gunnar Solskjaer the manager, and the caf celebrates. This is making us even more of a circus in my opinion. Ole won 3 out of 18 PL games and now he’s in the United Job. What’s the plan? Everyone smiles all day at Carrington now instead of apparently frowning? Okay great. Now what about setting up a football team?
Okay, what top class manager would be content with taking up an interim position?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
No hiding behind the manager as an excuse for the players now. It's time to perform. Let's see who is really good enough to be here.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Genuine question, but how?

Don't get me wrong, I hope he succeeds, and ends up as permanent manager, maybe with a DOF, but how is he the perfect choice?

He has very limited experience, and none of us know anything about his management or playing style (unless you do?).

It'll be great seeing him in the dugout at OT, but to me this looks like a massive risk.
From Ole's perspective, he cant really lose Pop. If results are trash, then they were trash with Mourinho so what can we expect with a guy which limited experience.

From a management and playing style perspective, given the players at his disposal, it will be the type of football that he wants to play. Make no mistake, these players we have are not rubbish. These are good players who have been poorly managed for 2 seasons. Not directed at you, but people forget that when you manage lesser sides, you often can't play swashbuckling football because you dont have players with adequate skill to continually perform so when we look at his stint at Cardiff, its hard to judge because he more then likely understood the limitations of the players and couldnt play the way he wanted. You can try, but often you'll come unstuck which is why big sam is constantly getting gigs because his style of football is suited to lesser sides and widely adaptable.

Send Guardiola down to Stoke and he would struggle massively and I would guess, coaches like Big Sam would do a better job.

My impression is that Ole will play us much like Giggs attempted to do. We will lose games but it will a proactive Ferguson style football. The difference is, I actually think we have a midfield that can cater for that style of player and if we can get Pogba hungry, will drive us forward.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Couldn't see anything on the site, seems like it's all but confirmed though.
Good luck to him, he's going to need it!
What are people's expectations?

Rossa

I think this is a brilliant move from the club. He may not be the next Ferguson or Guardiola for that matter, but he knows United and what it used to stand for. More important than results, the club has lost its identity. Solskjær might be able to recapture some of that culture and magic we all fell in love with. Hopefully, we might see some entertaining football as well.

Top four is a distant dream by now, so if he can instead focusing on attacking football, a structured defence and entertaining us with some exciting young players to the team, I think he will have succeeded.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
fecking hell. :lol:

First we topped Brexit news, now actual politicians are announcing our managerial appointments.

Ole! Happy days.
Crazy, isn't it. Reminds one again that Man Utd is as global as it gets in football.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I actually think as a holder until the summer this move makes a decent amount of sense. Adored by the crowd so will get OT behind the club again and absolutely the players should respect him given what he achieved.

Ultimately Man. United have no chance of top 4 even if they win 3-4 in a row (Arsenal are 5th having won 7 straight league games so that gives you scale of the task) so really in the league can just see you bobbing around 6th-7th until May. PSG is a free hit really so just the FA cup where they'll be serious expectations and it all depends on the draw of course.

Certainly no worse a decision than Madrid giving Solari the job or Milan giving Gattuso the job (that's probably the best comparison) or indeed when Liverpool dragged Sir Kenny out of retirement around this time of the year 7-8 years back.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
In sense that the season is already a write off in the eyes of many. We're not going to get top 4 and we're not relegated - so the risk is minimal with Ole, imo. The worst that will happen is that we will go through motions for 6 months and best is that he'll actually do something with this opportunity.
You think 6 months of shitty results won't be a negative? I dunno, as I say I think its a risk.

Nothing would please me more than for him to succeed though.

Odd appointment for me though.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Welcome, hopefully we make a push for top 4 and go far in the cups under him. If he makes top 4 then I would welcome him as a permanent manager since it is a very tough task.

I don't think he will do it, because its quite rare for forwards to become good managers due to the way they think, it's usually midfielders and defenders that make the transition. But I am hoping for something out of this season.

f_to_z

He comes in again as a sub. Lets hope he scores and wins something like he usually does.

Moorie86

This is good cause we have more than enough time to plan and see who the next permanent manager should be. Not jumping from one to the other quickly. And who knows maybe Ole will turn out to be great.
This. We are not going to get the “right” man at the moment they will want a clean slate to bring in who they want etc. To appoint someone now will just be a quick fix that’s why a intern manager to May steady the ship and clean slate begins next season