Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Shiva87

I don't know how anyone can think that interview was mesmerisingly genuine when parts of it are so clearly scripted. Just in case anyone missed it the first time, he's come back home.

Definitely picked the right face for the role but it seems all the more apparent that's the main reason he was picked. Hope Ole's doubts are wrong and the fans continue to love him throughout the season. Throwing a legend under the bus just for a PR boost would be criminal.
That interview is anything but scripted, and you need to stop being so cynical. Would you prefer him over Jose, with the same results? I know I would! At least the place won't be constantly toxic and we'll be trying to play attacking football.

He was picked because we need a quick fix and he is the best option out there. It gives the club the right amount of time to find the right manager. If we don't get the next one right, the deficit from the top teams may become too big to bridge.

People need to get off their high horse and hope Ole is a huge success over the next 6 months. If he gets the right results, he may move on to much bigger and better things in his managerial career (no disrespect to Molde) - and perhaps, make a strong argument for himself to be at a top club.

Treble

He failed with Cardiff but so would Klopp, Pep and many, many others. When you have a set attacking ideology and philosophy, joining a bottom of the league club is a conflict of interests really. If anything his only fault was being too ambitious. I'm confident he will be a success as a manager, he's got all the right attributes.
I'm afraid you are over hyping him now. It's way too early to compare him to the best managers around.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm afraid you are over hyping him now. It's way too early to compare him to the best managers around.
I'm not and I didn't, I'm simply saying most would fail at Cardiff because they're sole purpose is survival. You want someone like Big Sam in there who will make them hard to beat and win the odd game 1-0 from a set piece. Not a manager like Solskjaer.

Treble

I'm not and I didn't, I'm simply saying most would fail at Cardiff because they're sole purpose is survival. You want someone like Big Sam in there who will make them hard to beat and win the odd game 1-0 from a set piece. Not a manager like Solskjaer.
You can't possibly know that Klopp would fail at Cardiff. I think he would not. He proved himself at Mainz who weren't any better than Cardiff at the time of his appointment. If anything, they were worse.

Vinnie Peetang

The best manager has been sacked by us. Unbelievable board. Now please back Solksjaer and hopefully he does a great job and get it full time. A United legend, managing a legendary club.

mu4c_20le

You can't possibly know that Klopp would fail at Cardiff. I think he would not. He proved himself at Mainz who weren't any better than Cardiff at the time of his appointment. If anything, they were worse.
He got them relegated didn't he? Also don't forget that the Liverpool he inherited was basically already set up to attack by brendan rodgers. The framework was already in place. Asking him to step into a new country to try and save a club at the bottom with no resources is a big ask.

Minimalist

Cracking reference.

Treble

He got them relegated didn't he? Also don't forget that the Liverpool he inherited was basically already set up to attack by brendan rodgers. The framework was already in place. Asking him to step into a new country to try and save a club at the bottom with no resources is a big ask.
Klopp got them promoted for the first time in their history.

Ole's task was difficult. He wasn't fired after Cardiff went down but after a bad start to the season in the Championship.

Denis79

Yes, people may think that this isn't a big deal for anyone but after having watched LvG and Mourinho, it seems a very big thing for United fans, I'm okay with us not having a tactical wizard but christ I want to see us playing on the front foot.
All I can say is that I'm excited again, not because I believe he will do miracles or that we'll suddenly play flawless attacking football but atleast we'll have the intent to do so and I got a feeling some players will show heart again. Exciting times and good luck Ole.

crossy1686

career ending
It's a completely different environment, with a less mental owner at the time who changed the club's kit colour from blue to red because he preferred red. Solskjaer had no where near the setup Klopp had at Mainz, in a less competitive league.

Utdstar01

Crazy to think he's now 45 :eek::( still looks really good for his age. I think he will do well.

Utdstar01

45 is fairly young.:lol:
It is for a manager I know. But time flys and it seems only yesterday he was smashing goals in, left, right and centre. I went to his testimonial ten years ago and that doesn't even feel that long ago!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It is for a manager I know. But time flys and it seems only yesterday he was smashing goals in, left, right and centre. I went to his testimonial ten years ago and that doesn't even feel that long ago!
It was about the "still looks really good for his age", that's not something that you are supposed to say for a 45 years old person.:)

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's really up to the players to prove their worth over the course of the season now. There are no more excuses for anybody.

Shaidabdullah Hussain

I’m not embarrassed to admit, I have been absolutely buzzing about United this week. Solskjaer has got me smiling about football again. It’s been ages since I have been this excited about an upcoming game. It might not work out but it might. Let’s just enjoy the ride.

Reactions: SteveJ

LoneStar

Can anyone explain to me how he plays usually? Is it attacking ? Possession of counter attacks ? Thanks!

LoneStar

From what I hear, he plays very attacking football, almost to the sacrifice of defence.
At this point, all I want is some good attacking football, season is pretty much gone anyway.

Looking forward to this! :D

OldSchoolManc

After listening to his press conference, and knowing his Manchester United history, I’m really excited for the rest of the season.
I think his man management will be great.
I think the experience he had at Cardiff is actually a positive. Learning from mistakes, building hunger to succeed. A lot of that situation was out of his hands and it was a poor squad.
I’m sure we all want him to do well and it will be great to have some positivity for a change!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It's bizarre to see Solksjaer's managerial experience being completely dismissed because of the perception of the Norwegian league, when the exploits of managers even today in Scotland is used to judge their suitability to manage in England. Just look at how Rodgers is viewed as rehabilitating himself with Celtic, or Gerrard is being seen as a natural returner to the Premier League before long. The strength of the Scottish and Norwegian leagues based on UEFA coefficients is negligible. Classic gammon island mentality.

Given Rosenborg's domination of the league in the last 30 years, Molde winning the league for the first time was not quite Aberdeen overcoming Celtic and Rangers, given Rosenborg had also slipped up a few seasons prior, but it was still a remarkable achievement.

The guy is a seasoned, proven manager at this point. He's not a fecking **** figure or **** legend returning like Cantona would be or Giggs was.

JPRouve

Scout
It's bizarre to see Solksjaer's managerial experience being completely dismissed because of the perception of the Norwegian league, when the exploits of managers even today in Scotland is used to judge their suitability to manage in England. Just look at how Rodgers is viewed as rehabilitating himself with Celtic, or Gerrard is being seen as a natural returner to the Premier League before long. The strength of the Scottish and Norwegian leagues based on UEFA coefficients is negligible. Classic gammon island mentality.

Given Rosenborg's domination of the league in the last 30 years, Molde winning the league for the first time was not quite Aberdeen overcoming Celtic and Rangers, given Rosenborg had also slipped up a few seasons prior, but it was still a remarkable achievement.

The guy is a seasoned, proven manager at this point. He's not a fecking **** figure or **** legend returning like Cantona would be or Giggs was.
That's a ridiculous comparison, Rodgers had a successful spell at Swansea and he wasn't that bad at Liverpool just not good enough for a potential top PL team. His career at Celtic isn't the base of people's opinion about him.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That's a ridiculous comparison, Rodgers had a successful spell at Swansea and he wasn't that bad at Liverpool just not good enough for a potential top PL team. His career at Celtic isn't the base of people's opinion about him.
Rodgers came within a Gerrard slip of winning the PL. people seem to forget that

JPRouve

Scout
Rodgers came within a Gerrard slip of winning the PL. people seem to forget that
If he wasn't linked to Liverpool, people would have a totally different view of him. I don't think that he is great but he has shown that he is an above average PL manager.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If he wasn't linked to Liverpool, people would have a totally different view of him. I don't think that he is great but he has shown that he is an above average PL manager.
Agreed. His front 3 at Liverpool was on par with Klopps front three

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
No, but going off to Scotland isn't seen as disappearing into Europe's backwaters, when based on the strength of the league Scotland is utter mediocrity nowadays. The whole narrative about him managing Celtic is he's biding his time before he returns to a top PL job. People will be wanking themselves silly about whatever Gerrard does or doesn't do with Rangers, when he gets an inevitable offer to come back to England. It will be perceived as valuable experience, even if he wins feck all or just a cup. If he did the equivalent in any similar strength league in Europe, people would dismiss it instantly.

Winning the league with Molde in Norway is a far greater achievement than winning several Scottish PL titles with Celtic.

Maccataq

His defensive record at Molde is poor too. It points to a manager that can't organise a defence which is one of our major weaknesses. That's why I'm worried.
He's an attack minded manager. A lot of people have been suggesting this season that we look best when we attack to hide our defensive deficiencies and I tend to agree. Sitting back doesn't work for us so we may as well be proactive.

Minimalist

"He can't organise a defence"

Yeah that's really what gets my blood flowing. :lol:

Fcuk sake, I'm so sick of that shite. It has a place in the game no doubt but for Manchester United, I don't want us to focus on 'stopping' anyone.

Case in point. I remember the 2006-07 season more fondly than either 2007-08 or 2008-09 despite it being accepted we were more successful in those seasons. Why? Because we were more fun to watch going forward. It's what we watch the game for. At least it's why I watch the game. To see goals.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
We have nothing to lose by bringing in Ole. He can start from scratch and play players in their preferred positions. Hopefully the players will see sense now Mourinho has gone. He may not have the experience but so what we can’t possibly do any worse than we are now.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
When was the last time the Manchester United manager didnt talk about himself and his "philosophy"?
This.
In a lot of the cases above you’ve just described us signing a series of mercenaries. This situation is nothing like those.

We’ve just hired one of our biggest ever legends to manage us in a season when we have pretty much nothing to lose.

Myself and many others are not excited because we think he’s gonna sort out all our problems but rather cos we fecking adore Ole and know he loves and understands the club’s ethos and is going to work his bollocks off to reinvigorate the club and get us playing attacking football again.

Just enjoy the ride.
That period when we got Di Maria and Falcao was a strange one. Didn't feel like the United I grew up with. I was willing to move on from the old United if it meant we had successes mind, but that also never transpired.

Seeing Ole's interviews and hearing the things he said, about us being a family club, and the expectations and about playing attacking football, now that feels familiar.