Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Patrick08

agree with the notion that Mourinho maybe even could have won the CL this year, I mean if anyone could pull that off unexpectedly.
:lol:

If you park the bus, you need to do that effectively, these lot can not. There was zero chance of that happening as well.

ErranMorad

I have a feeling he will be a disaster. I love him though
I have the same feeling. Can't see it being a successful stint. Think we should have gone with someone with more experience in the top flight. We are only 17 games in and are in two cup competitions, don't think the season is a complete write-off, yet. Though like you, one of my favorite players so he has my support.

justboy68

Great news. Ole is the perfect man to bring in to cleanse the negativity at the club and set up a clean slate for the permanent appointment in the summer. Ole will behave respectfully and set up the team to play positive football. That's all we can ask for.

cfkane

Here is a thought. Assuming Ole is appointed caretaker on Thursday, I wonder if he will not take charge of the team in Cardiff, but be there observing in the stands while Carrick manages the game, then fully take control of the club on Monday and have his first game in charge be at Old Trafford on Boxing day, so he starts his time at home.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Don't think we will play some great football and win many games but this is so much better than the toxic environment created by Jose.

He is a ManUtd legend and loved by every ManUtd fan, so players will obviously respect him.

Hopefully he will teach our players what off the ball movement and positioning is.

shabin_d_great

Here is a thought. Assuming Ole is appointed caretaker on Thursday, I wonder if he will not take charge of the team in Cardiff, but be there observing in the stands while Carrick manages the game, then fully take control of the club on Monday and have his first game in charge be at Old Trafford on Boxing day, so he starts his time at home.
May be Ole wants to start against Cardif to prove a point?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Don't think we will play some great football and win many games but this is so much better than the toxic environment created by Jose.

He is a ManUtd legend and loved by every ManUtd fan, so players will obviously respect him.

Hopefully he will teach our players what off the ball movement and positioning is.
I actually think its the other way around, we might have a lot of high scoring games by being too open. The fans might actually want to turn up for it.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
:lol:

If you park the bus, you need to do that effectively, these lot can not. There was zero chance of that happening as well.
A lot can change in football. There was zero chance of Leicester winning the league too. Cup is only what 8 games to win it now? Not that it was likely with Mourinho, hence him being let go. My point was even if he had won it, getting rid of him now and lose a trophy wouldn't necessarily be bad for the club long term.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

To be fair, virtually all our players are experienced internationals - many have won trophies elsewhere, including World Cups and Premier Leagues.

I doubt there's much they'll learn from a guy who's managed Cardiff and Molde, even if he is a loveable Utd legend.

Ole's biggest concern will be not being beaten by lower PL managers who have much more PL experience than him - literally every PL manager has a better PL record than him at this point, which is obviously a very odd stat for the manager of Man Utd to have.

Canagel

What does he need to do to get the job full time? Top 4? Win a cup?
Much improved football with upturn in results and let's say wins FA Cup then he deserves to be in the mix.
Top 4 is unlikely but if he got within 3/4 points by the end will strengthen his case also.

Kapardin

We just need to ensure the players are up to scratch with the basics of running and pressing prior to the next manager. Far too long have they been lethargic and clueless with relation to pressing and movement under both LvG and Jose.

If they get used to a certain style, they will respond quicker to the next manager's tactics.

Ashley R1+O

Chuffed to bits for him. OGS is an absolute legend in my eyes and I would take him on full time if his term proves to be successful. I'd almost forgotten about him as a managerial candidate. Bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment but there are gravitational changes that need to occur before anybody becomes successful imo.

Wish him all the best!

el3mel

What does he need to do to get the job full time? Top 4? Win a cup?
He shouldn't get it regardless. He's not good enough for long term. Alright as interim but that's about it.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
To be fair, virtually all our players are experienced internationals - many have won trophies elsewhere, including World Cups and Premier Leagues.

I doubt there's much they'll learn from a guy who's managed Cardiff and Molde, even if he is a loveable Utd legend.

Ole's biggest concern will be not being beaten by lower PL managers who have much more PL experience than him - literally every PL manager has a better PL record than him at this point, which is obviously a very odd stat for the manager of Man Utd to have.
His managerial career means nothing, it's like saying Barca players didn't have much to learn from Pep whose only managerial record was managing their B team or Milan with Sacchi when he was from some poor team. So many examples to give here.

We just need to ensure the players are up to scratch with the basics of running and pressing prior to the next manager. Far too long have they been lethargic and clueless with relation to pressing and movement under both LvG and Jose.

If they get used to a certain style, they will respond quicker to the next manager's tactics.
Yeah agree with that. I don't know how his team plays but read from Molde fan that he plays 4-3-3 and attacking game, which should be good.

I actually think its the other way around, we might have a lot of high scoring games by being too open. The fans might actually want to turn up for it.
Yeah, I mean great tactical football. I'm also assuming that we play open football and with lots of freedom.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Should have been Blanc with the possibility of a full time appointment if he did the business, Ole will get my full support but I just feel the job could be too big for him even in the capacity of caretaker manager.

We still can mathematically make top 4 and are still in the CL, potentially we could be throwing away the next two seasons on a manager who wouldn't have been considered were it not for his history as a player.

Last edited:

Luke1995

Our next game is this Saturday. Would Carrick be the coach for that game if Solskjaer doesn't get confirmed or arrives until then ?

RG 11

You can't help but smile seeing Ole as the Manchester United manager. The guy loves the club through and through, has won everything with us and will be more than happy to take advice from phelan / Fergie etc.

He'll also play positive football which is all I really want after five and a half years of God awful football.

I don't really care if we don't improve drastically as long as we can play positively and overall get a positive GD(!). You can't help but feel positive after the shit we've seen.

Of course the concerning thing is that Fergie is still heavily influencing management decisions (this really didn't work well under Busby and history seems to be repeating) and we probably could've gone for a much more proven caretaker manager but as long as Woody and the board gets off their asses and starts focusing on creating a football focussed struvtute with DOF and a new manager, ole will do well for now.

I'm finally excited and looking forward to the next United game in a long long time.

Reactions: Penna

T A

The season is officially over. I'd go with McKenna instead of Ole. Really really bad choice, we're hopeless

Charlie Foley

Hiddink was mates with Roman and wasn’t interested in a full time gig. People here seem to be thinking Jardim or ZZ are going to accept a caretaker position, it’s nonsense.
Fair enough, not disagreeing with you about either of them more just pointing out another high profile manager who did just that!

Beagle

Meh enough of the sentimental bs can't see him doing any better than Mourinho would have tbh. An interim solution if ever there was one
Maybe not in terms of results. But I do hope he will advocate more attacking football.

Lam

Pros - I'll feel good every time they show Ole on TV, no more depressing press conferences, no negativity, positive football, a new lease for players, old players will rally around Ole instead of complaining on TV, and..the first one again, it's Ole!

Cons - I don't think the season will turn around dramatically, we might be worse off in big games, close to giving up on Cups...and maybe some contract extensions/transfers will get delayed because of this. Also, we'll have to put up with six months of wild guessing by the media who our permanent manager will be.

One biggest outcome will be that we'll definitely get to know which idiots were not playing well because of Mou and which ones are just not bothered. Whatever happens though, nothing is going to change the way fans love Ole.

Ole Ole Ole! The man just brings a smile every time I think of him :D

Edit: After thought, it might well rally everyone around the club to move forward since no one likes to see a sad Ole.

redasian

Think it's a smart move. Ole is coming in with pretty low expectations - 4th place is an outside chance now and we'll try to get a good cup run or two. Likely he won't be a roaring success but then he's only here for 6 months, it's not a permanent appointment - so it's alright that he isn't the most experienced, and it's already been pointed out that United's a different animal from the likes of Cardiff. I'd have been happy with Blanc too, but if we're lining up Poch in the summer then Ole makes sense.

The main priorities have to be lifting the team and restoring some semblance of (attacking) identity in the short-term, so I have plenty of time for Ole even if he doesn't win every game. He doesn't have to be the best coach in the world, but he understands the club and that is critical at this point in time because while we'd like it that way we're not looking to win everything in the next 6 months. Even Pep or Klopp wouldn't be turning everything around in 6 months if they came here rightaway and tbf 4th place is as much out of our hands as it is in atm since we'll need other teams to drop a lot of points.

We could moan about his failure at Cardiff and so on but I'd like to think that getting someone in who's passionate about the club and isn't completely daft/inexperienced is the priority, not getting the absolute best in terms of managerial ability - that's for the summer and for a serious title challenge. Ole ticks those short-term boxes.

Reactions: KM

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think the club has intentionally not gone for a seasoned manager with a strong settled vision built over years because it would further make the transition difficult.

I imagine Ole due to his age and love for the club would be more willing and able to put the interest of the club ahead of his own personal stubbornness (wrt to ideas and career progression). Not that him being a weak manager would be helpful. But there is an element of understanding of the club and possibility of putting it's interest first which we may not get with some outsider for such a short period.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He shouldn't get it regardless. He not good enough for long term. Alright as interim but that's about it.
Agreed. Very skeptical of small achievements being used to get him the permanent job. I'm excited to see what he can do but weary of us jumping the gun with respect to Ole.

The update we received that this is an interim appointment with the club taking its time to go through the process of hiring the next permanant manager, is perfect IMO.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
My favourite was Arsene Wenger followed by Laurent Blanc. There again, I wonder whether those would accept the interim manager role at all. Taking those two out of the picture then Ole is among the best of the pick. He's a former United player who actually managed rather then spoke about it on TV or lead a group of youths to games. He won league titles as manager, he has Europa league experience and unlike the class of 92 he knows of a world which is outside SAF realm. I applaud his pragmatic decision of hiring Phelan if true instead of going through the usual 'hire a former mate' route. Phelan knows United very well, he's experienced in the assistant job role and similarly to Ole he worked in football not talked about it.

Tarrou

Happy with the appointment. He'll lift the spirits and with top 4 pretty much gone the players can hopefully play with less fear/pressure for the remainder of the season.

I'm in Cardiff for Christmas as my parents live there, so gonna try and get a ticket this week.

Moonred

Agreed. Very skeptical of small achievements being used to get him the permanent job. I'm excited to see what he can do but weary of us jumping the gun with respect to Ole.

The update we received that this is an interim appointment with the club taking its time to go through the process of hiring the next permanant manager, is perfect IMO.
It’s an entirely different debate if it’s permanent. I don’t see too many options who will be ready to pounce for an interim role who guarantees more than someone like OGS. Idea is to really look to get the DOF and new manager sorted while OGS lifts the mood and does his Cv no harm.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not really sure Ole is a good appointment - he failed at Cardiff and has been in Norway managing since - hardly a ringing endorsement. That said, perhaps he can instill some Fergie style fight into the team, but I can't help but think Woodward is clinging on to the past now in a desperate attempt to appease us fans who have seen him fail miserably in appointing 3 unsuitable managers since Fergie retired. Obviously Ole is temporary and Woodward has someone in focus, but unless Pochettino (but why would he come to a disfunctional club like ours over his current club?) there isn't any obvious choice, so I'd be very worried Woodward is going to make a fourth bad appointment in a row.