Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
When's the press conference - where's the thread :nervous::(

ArjenIsM3

When's the press conference - where's the thread :nervous::(
No thread, not much interesting was said this morning though. Just that Smalling, Rojo and Fellaini are still out.. Also, there will be a couple of changes to the lineup and Alexis will feature.

Tiber

There is also a full interview with him on i player

Smores

I think some of you have spent so long exaggerating arguments of style against Jose that now you can't set a realistic expectation against Ole.

No team plays fantastic football every game. Liverpool are almost heralded on here by some for their attacking play but last season and even more so this season they were not consistently appealing to the eye.

Intent to attack and a good level of effectiveness is all we need from our manager surely

crossy1686

career ending
I think some of you have spent so long exaggerating arguments of style against Jose that now you can't set a realistic expectation against Ole.

No team plays fantastic football every game. Liverpool are almost heralded on here by some for their attacking play but last season and even more so this season they were not consistently appealing to the eye.

Intent to attack and a good level of effectiveness is all we need from our manager surely
Said this in the other thread but all those saying we must play well, we must play attacking football and I don't care if we play well and lose will all be sat down in front of the TV tonight and a second before kick off 99% of us will say to ourselves "Just win, win this game under any circumstance". Then they'll come here and bitch about the fact Arsenal had a shot on target and we didn't attack in the last 5 minutes of the game #solskjaerfraud

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

It's also not rare to see terrible spectacles from Tottenham. That's why I focus on intent and competency more than "attacking football" and always be great to watch. The latters rely a lot on the nature of the game, the opposition will play a role in it but you can always be positive and try. My issue with Mourinho is that I felt that we were often incompetent and didn't even try to be, that's probably a wrong perception but it felt like it.

Jacob

This is where the ole honeymoon stops. I'd be surprised if we win this

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

As the post above mine says, intent is the most important thing when discussing the aesthetics of a team. No team...no team plays well all the time. However these teams that everyone praises almost always go out with the intent on trying to out play the opposition.
You didn't get that feeling under Mourinho. Also, I think you have to look at performances as they average over time. tumescent insipid displays are not the norm for Liverpool even if they have their fair share.
As for us under Ole, over the seven games, I can't pick a game where I felt we went into it with an intent not to try and play and be expansive.

Aarron Swift

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's easy Man Utd fix bad news for the myth of the super-coach

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ole-gunnar-solskjaers-easy-man-13902655

Think this makes a lot of sense. It was always argued Sir Alex was never a super-coach. He delegated those duties to others better suited. He was a master at managing his players.

Can’t stand Andy Dunn, I read this feeling it was just an article to belittle & dismiss anything Ole has done since coming back to the club

Aarron Swift

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's easy Man Utd fix bad news for the myth of the super-coach

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ole-gunnar-solskjaers-easy-man-13902655

Think this makes a lot of sense. It was always argued Sir Alex was never a super-coach. He delegated those duties to others better suited. He was a master at managing his players.

Good point about SAF though however I’m not sure (genuinely no clue) if he had always delegated or had just happened over time as he got older & towards the end of his career.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

What's this? A sensible post? Surely not :lol:

That last sentence is exactly the point. Our team should always have an attacking intent but saying we should always 'attack, attack, attack' leaves no allowance for the other team and what they do. How dare the other team turn up and try and stop us attacking. Games just don't work out that way.

Some of the football Jose's early Chelsea teams played was fantastic, same at Real. Ole has done a good job so far but the mess we were in a few months ago cannot and will not be erased in a matter of weeks. We shouldn't build the guy up with frankly unrealistic expectations and crush him immediately. Much as I'd love Poch here I think it would be an amazing story for Ole to do well for the remainder of the season and get the job full time.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
This is where the ole honeymoon stops. I'd be surprised if we win this
Crikey, there's optimism! We can absolutely win this. We can also absolutely lose it too. And the honeymoon shouldn't stop if we do lose, it should all be judged over a longer term than just over a month and one FA cup game. We've won 7 games and on the bounce, we will lose at some point with Ole and would lose at some point under any manager. Losing against Arsenal has happened before and it will happen again. Life goes on.

So, if we lose this but win the following match then life and the honeymoon period can carry on ;)

TheLoveless

Good point about SAF though however I’m not sure (genuinely no clue) if he had always delegated or had just happened over time as he got older & towards the end of his career.
He has said that he was advised to learn to delegate after coming to United, and that it was very difficult to do since he would still be held accountable but that it was one of the most important things he learned.

This is normal and anybody would have to do it. No leader or boss leads without delegating.

Shiva87

Yes, I was expecting a draw. This is the FA cup though, not sure we'll play the strongest side
I think he will play a strong side - and Sanchez will get some game time. I'm sure he realizes the importance of this game for him (personally). His changes for the job will be much increased if we have a deep run in this tournament. I'd be surprised (although will have much more respect for him) if he decides to play a weaker team and prioritize finishing top 4 in the league.

Also, a weak team for United is good enough to make a game of it against Arsenal. It's not like we'll be playing 7-8 kids. It will have Lukaku, Mata, Fred, etc. playing.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If we win tonight, with the manager having made a bold, rotated selection, then he will get the job full time.

Kag

Getting in before the result to say that you’re a prime arsehole if you can’t understand the purpose of rotation tonight. We’re playing with Lukaku and Alexis fecking Sanchez; not a midfield of Rafael, Gibson, O’Shea and Fabio. Now that would be ridiculous...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’m all in. I just think he’s worth the chance. “He knows the club” has become a cliched line because it’s true but beyond that, he’s tuned into why Ferguson was successful. Because he trusted people and he had the self confidence and humility to entrust his coaching staff with responsibility and gave them due credit.

One of the reasons Ferguson was a great success is because of how he trusted the likes of Phelan, Quieroz, Maclaren and Kidd. You can see Ole taking the same approach with Phelan along with Carrick and McKenna.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Think Ole will get his first loss tonight.

I've felt that the tactics have gotten gradually more defensive and less savvy than initially seen.

I also don't like the line-up for the match tonight.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

L1nk

Starting Lingard as a false 9 and Lukaku out wide? Interesting.

Keefy18

Think Ole will get his first loss tonight.

I've felt that the tactics have gotten gradually more defensive and less savvy than initially seen.

I also don't like the line-up for the match tonight.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
What games have we been defensive in? I don't think the game plan from Ole and the coaches is defensive at all, if we've been defensive its been on the players like at Spurs or 2nd half vs Brighton.

Not sure what the issue is with tonight's line up either, Rashford needed a rest. Lukaku & Sanchez need a run out as well to keep a level of fitness and find confidence.

Kant-ona

No chance we will sign someone else, really. Didn't think that a few weeks ago, but... no chance for Zidane or Poc.

RedM11

Okay, thats it. Ole is the man for the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This is classic Fergie so far. For years we shat on Arsenal by defending narrow, inviting the fullbacks on, knowing Arsenal don't want to cross. We then exploit the space left by the fullbacks and punish them on the counter.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Credit to Ole for playing Lukaku as an inverted right forward and also knowing when to rotate his players. Seems to be getting the best out of him. Rather than playing him with his back towards goal, the right side gives Lukaku space to look forward and attack the opposition. However, I do not believe he is the solution to fix the right side of the attack. Albeit, he has done better than a natural winger in Sanchez who is playing in the left.

AgentP

Credit to Ole for playing Lukaku as an inverted right forward. Seems to be getting the best out of him. Rather than playing him with his back towards goal, the right side gives Lukaku space to look forward and attack the opposition. However, I do not believe he is the solution to fix the right side of the attack. Albeit, he has done better than a natural winger in Sanchez who is playing in the left.
Atleast we have some options for the RW now. Was fed up seeing just Lingard and Mata every game.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If we win tonight, with the manager having made a bold, rotated selection, then he will get the job full time.
Absolutely superb. No doubt whatsoever who deserved the win tonight. Sign this beautiful man up.

At least one manager can go without his main two forwards and win away from home in the cup.

killerboi2

Permanent manager offer now please. Surely people have seen enough by now to accept him as the man.

Renegade

Doing great but why do we need to make a decision now and not wait to the end of the season?

What if he doesn’t know how to deal with defeats and uplift the players after bad form? Surely we need to see all sides of him before offering him the job FT? We seriously can’t afford to get our 4th manager wrong.