Omar Berrada | Man Utd CEO

Gordon S

Agreed on many points but replacing him mid season solves nothing if we don't have appropriate successor in mind. Pep, Klopp and Carlo are taken. There are not any standout candidates, season is a write-off. Get a new quality football management structure in place first, identify way of playing, clean deadwood, identify players we want to get and identify manager who will complement that style of play.
This idea that Erik is such a brilliant coach that we need Pep or Klopp to even possibly improve is an idea i have a hard time understanding. What absolute miracles did he pull off at Ajax to deserve this status?

Brighton picked this Di Zerbi guy out of their asses, he wasn`t talked about as one of the big names.
Tottenham picked Postecoglou, not one of the big names.
Villa gave Emery another chance in the PL, not one of the highest rated managers after a less successful stint at Arsenal.

We have Ruben Amorim doing well for Sporting for a while now for example, they are sitting top of the league scoring 2,53 goals per game this season. Could certainly be worth a shot on a bigger stage.

Sebastian Hoeness have Stuttgart sitting at third place in BL, scoring over 2 goals per game, could be interesting for a bigger club.

Simone Inzaghi is not doing to shabby with Inter, they have a mindfecking GD of +39 after 21 games this season.

And there are of course a lot more of these interesting managers out there.

Changing manager mid season could do nothing to improve us. Or, it could actually improve us. We would actually have a chance of improving and climbing up the table.Just seems so unnecessarily sad to just give up now with a lot of the season left.

Coops73

Yeah we are no threat so why are you being off with journos when asked about Berrada
This has clearly not gone down well at city, a standard boring answer like “nice fella, good luck to him for the future ” should of been the way to go.

Coops73

I always get the impression that Pep is well aware, and a little bit bothered, by the fact that City will never be respected like United.

He often shows us a lot of respect and I feel he'd have loved to manage here. He knows that if we get things right, City will pale in comparison to our stature. Arrogant man is worried
I’m not entirely sure about that, didn’t fergie approach him about taking over the reigns and he blew us out? But if city are found guilty of these 115 charges it’ll certainly taint his career.

cyberman

I’m not entirely sure about that, didn’t fergie approach him about taking over the reigns and he blew us out? But if city are found guilty of these 115 charges it’ll certainly taint his career.
We didn’t get him because Pep didn’t understand SAF. He didn’t know he was being offered a job.

redcucumber

Taint? Bit more than that.

kps88

We didn’t get him because Pep didn’t understand SAF. He didn’t know he was being offered a job.
I always found that story a bit far fetched. I feel like if Pep was seriously interested in us, he would have definitely clarified what was happening during or after the fact. Or we would have contacted his agent. Perhaps it was more a lighthearted/polite way for Pep to say he turned us down without disrespecting SAF.

Herman Toothrot

Pep knows, no matter what he achieves at City, that nobody will ever truly give a shit about it.

There just isn't anything special about that club, it'll always pale in significance next to it's neighbour.

More has been written in the last twelve months about Manchester United's ownership than Manchester City's treble. Nobody cares. It's not seen as an incredible achievement but an inevitable outcome.

I take no solace in this as a Manchester United fan, I don't care about City either, but it's eating him alive.

Of course there are many who indulge in praising his brilliance and glory, but even their kind words are interrupted by the tormenting buzz of that asterix. The accusations of cheating that will never go away and will always taint his achievement.

He knows and that's why he is like he is. Until he does a job that isn't a warm bath and a hand job, he'll always be like that.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
At that time Pep already had agreed (or was close to it) to go to Bayern München. It wasn't a decision between United or City at that time. And I don't think there is/was much difference in how Bayern and United are/were respected for their work.

justsomebloke

What a clown Pep is. Wouldn’t look out of place on Bluemoon spouting that nonsense. You know we’ve got ourselves a good one when even the managers being a bitter cnut about it. :drool:
He has an annoying habit of setting up strawmen and then knock them down. It's really hard to tell who he's having the discussion with in his own head.

cyberman

I always found that story a bit far fetched. I feel like if Pep was seriously interested in us, he would have definitely clarified what was happening during or after the fact. Or we would have contacted his agent. Perhaps it was more a lighthearted/polite way for Pep to say he turned us down without disrespecting SAF.
I believe it, I have no doubt Spanish people find the Scottish accent impossible to understand

sugar_kane

Pep is just turning into Mourinho with nicer football.

That too will fade in time and he’ll just be a gnarly old has been like Mou, except with added asterisks next to his achievements.

AshRK

This idea that Erik is such a brilliant coach that we need Pep or Klopp to even possibly improve is an idea i have a hard time understanding. What absolute miracles did he pull off at Ajax to deserve this status?

Brighton picked this Di Zerbi guy out of their asses, he wasn`t talked about as one of the big names.
Villa gave Emery another chance in the PL, not one of the highest rated managers after a less successful stint at Arsenal.

We have Ruben Amorim doing well for Sporting for a while now for example, they are sitting top of the league scoring 2,53 goals per game this season. Could certainly be worth a shot on a bigger stage.

Sebastian Hoeness have Stuttgart sitting at third place in BL, scoring over 2 goals per game, could be interesting for a bigger club.

Simone Inzaghi is not doing to shabby with Inter, they have a mindfecking GD of +39 after 21 games this season.

Changing manager mid season could do nothing to improve us. Or, it could actually improve us. We would actually have a chance of improving and climbing up the table.Just seems so unnecessarily sad to just give up now with a lot of the season left.
The issue with this ETH was also in a similar list like yours before he joined us and people were raving about him. And whether anyone likes eth or not he was doing a far better job than the people you have listed in your post (maybe minus inzaghi)

I am not suggesting eth is a brilliant manager or that he has been perfect but the idea that changing managers every 12 months for a new shiny toy and hoping they fix us is a reach. We need to fix up at the board level first and let them decide who should be the next manager. I do not want the current people making any more footballing decisions.

Real Name

Pep not salty at all it seems

We're living in his head rent free.

Also the quote about the stand for Berrada is ironic, coming from a manager of a club which has statues of Kompany and Silva, players who played their recently, only confirming their history started when the Arabs came.

Coops73

At that time Pep already had agreed (or was close to it) to go to Bayern München. It wasn't a decision between United or City at that time. And I don't think there is/was much difference in how Bayern and United are/were respected for their work.
Yeah, I’d heard that was probably the case too but outside of Germany, United are/were definitely the most alluring and bigger club in my opinion and maybe (probably wisely) Pep thought feck that I’m not following Ferguson I’d be on a hiding to nothing.

Gordon S

The issue with this ETH was also in a similar list like yours before he joined us and people were raving about him. And whether anyone likes eth or not he was doing a far better job than the people you have listed in your post (maybe minus inzaghi)

I am not suggesting eth is a brilliant manager or that he has been perfect but the idea that changing managers every 12 months for a new shiny toy and hoping they fix us is a reach. We need to fix up at the board level first and let them decide who should be the next manager. I do not want the current people making any more footballing decisions.
Of course he was an interesting choice back then. Have never argued otherwise.
It just didn`t work out here. He has been here for about 20 months or so now. Thats the life of managers. You give it your best go and if it doesn`t work out you get the sack and find another club instead. Most clubs would have given him the sack already, not just top clubs either.
Ineos are already in place now, working with improving the organisation. Think they should be able to dig out a suitable candidate. There is obviously no manager out there that can ”fix us”, not 100% sure what it means but it still seems a very high bar. The bar for a new manager should be set at improving the teams performance on the pitch for the rest of the season, trying to score more goals, win more games. That is a tough ask but not an unachievable bar.

SonOfFergie

You have a point I agree. It seems also that Klopp will be free end of season. :wenger:

Kaos

The Pep comments are excessively petulant, even by his standards. He's usually more subtle and tongue in cheek with his digs, but he's fully cracked up this time round and essentially went with a 'no you!' dig. Don't want to read too much into it just yet, but perhaps he feels their hollow plastic empire is slowly collapsing? :angel:

Nas-JR

I don't understand how you can defend ETH for the shit that he put up this year. If you had an employee who started well in his job last year and his year, he isn't doing well and dragging down the whole team. Are you going to keep him around saying he did well last year? ETH knows exactly what he is doing. It is not working and everyone can see the result and yet he continues his way, hoping it will change. Has he changed our formation? Should he take more risk with younger players? Good manager will drop players until their form recovers, change formation, and recognize what type of players will do well in EPL. Football is his bread and butter, I expected better, but he is seriously well off the mark. He had 2 transfer windows to address our issues, but nothing has been addressed. He looks puzzled and lost at the touchline once we start losing. He doesn't seem to know what he can do to turn the game around.
I'm not defending him outright as I've acknowledged we've been terrible this year. I'm suggesting that, given all the other mitigating circumstances around this season, the fact there is no real benefit to sacking him now vs end of the year, and that the ineos management team is still being formed and needs time to assess everything, it is best to wait until the summer! We can't keep on paying off sacked managers while also paying for interim managers, we need to get our finances in check!

Regarding your criticisms on what he should and shouldn't be doing, I think some our valid, others are definitley not. Re: changing formation, he's made variations of his 4-3-3 without deviating too much from it. He probably should have and it's the big problem I've had with him. Then again, if he switches every other game to a new formation we'd also criticise that.

Re: more risk with younger players, well we've made Hojlund our only CF for the year, I'd say that's pretty big risk placed on a young player! Garnacho has started the last 16 games. Mainoo starts every game he's available. Kambawala has started games now. Pellistri and hannibal have as well but they're clearly not good enough. Gore got minutes but is now out on loan. Amad has been injured and a few have either left the club or are on loan. What more risk do you want exactly? I'd say that's more risk than most other PL teams.

Re: dropping players to gain form, who exactly are you referring to? None of our back four have been fit long enough to warrant them being dropped. The same goes for our cms over the last 3 months. Earlier in the year people thought mount and bruno are too lightweight and we need someone like MCT for physical presence and goal threat. He was brought in, was good for a bit, then was dropped the last month cause he became anonymous in line with what you're suggesting. We barely have enough strikers to drop any and our wingers have been rotated non stop. Antony who everyone thinks is eths favourite is no longer a starter. Rashford was dropped for a month and when he came back he was put on the right to earn his way back. He was still terrible. The only one I'd agree on is Bruno, but he's your captain, the media would feast on it and propagate the negativity around united.

The signings are not all on him. The manager doesnt have absolute control on who comes in, otherwise we'd had gotten kane and fdj. Having said that, we definitely need to downgrade his influence on signings and that's the big thing that will change. If he doesn't like that, he will leave. Simple.

It's not black and white. He's at fault for how our season has gone but not as much as people are implying. I'm indifferent about him leaving because if barreda and Co, who all appear to be best in class, think he doesn't align with their vision, I will trust that and hope it works out. I am a united fan, not an eth fan at the end of the day.

RuudTom83

Sometimes it's better to just say thanks and wish them well...trying to be sarcastic or get one over the journos just comes across as sour grapes.

Berrada was by all accounts an important~ish employee at City for a good number of years...just say he was a good guy and wish him well.

The End.

Jordan_mufc

Yes I believe that's the case as he saw the owners for the clowns they are. Wasn't convinced by the structure.

Probably just me but I feel he speaks highly of us. The same way Mourinho would before his time at United

NLunited

Was he involved in the cheating at City and jumping ship before it goes down? I have questions.

SungSam7

The guy was hired to get around FFP like a genius, he has his matches and petrol for the season ahead. :smirk:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Guardiola being a bit salty can only be a good thing right? This guys the real
Deal and they only have Haaland because of this guy.

RORY65

Guardiola being a bit salty can only be a good thing right? This guys the real
Deal and they only have Haaland because of this guy.
You think they only have Haaland because of a supplementary backroom guy? I think it's positive that we made the appointment quickly and it seems to have been well thought out rather than the prolonged and yet still slapdash appointments made in the last decade but people need to relax, the vast majority on here (myself included) hadn't even heard of him a week ago.

Guardiola's comment is a bit salty but it's also true, the aim of having a good structure is that it will hopefully lead to having a good team on the pitch. Even without him City still have a good structure and also a good team. For us it's a step towards having a good structure who can hopefully put a good team in place.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
You think they only have Haaland because of a supplementary backroom guy? I think it's positive that we made the appointment quickly and it seems to have been well thought out rather than the prolonged and yet still slapdash appointments made in the last decade but people need to relax, the vast majority on here (myself included) hadn't even heard of him a week ago.

Guardiola's comment is a bit salty but it's also true, the aim of having a good structure is that it will hopefully lead to having a good team on the pitch. Even without him City still have a good structure and also a good team. For us it's a step towards having a good structure who can hopefully put a good team in place.
No but he was apart of the Haaland signing. And yes he’s right, he won’t make us competitive on his own and straight away but is there any need for him to say it in such a sarcastic way? He could have just praised him and congratulated him on moving to a bigger club and leave it as that. It is a step in the right direction for us and yes not many people had heard of him, I hadn’t and it was done under the radar with no leaks, but coming from city who have been dominant the last few years can only tell us it’s a good appointment. City won’t have rubbish in their structure. Goes to show though we still have the pulling power for someone in such a comfortable set up to want to leave to start a new project with us says it all.

RORY65

No but he was apart of the Haaland signing. And yes he’s right, he won’t make us competitive on his own and straight away but is there any need for him to say it in such a sarcastic way? He could have just praised him and congratulated him on moving to a bigger club and leave it as that. It is a step in the right direction for us and yes not many people had heard of him, I hadn’t and it was done under the radar with no leaks, but coming from city who have been dominant the last few years can only tell us it’s a good appointment. City won’t have rubbish in their structure. Goes to show though we still have the pulling power for someone in such a comfortable set up to want to leave to start a new project with us says it all.
For sure, it's definitely a positive move and as you say it still shows the pulling power of United if we can get our shit together. I guess it's just I also saw a headline saying this was our best signing since Ronaldo in 2003 and thought that was kind of insane given we've signed the likes of Rooney, Vidic and Evra amongst others since so was conflating your post with that which isn't fair.

Guardiola was definitely salty but he manages a rival, I'm not sure it would go down the base he is talking to if he congratulated Berrada on the move and certainly if he congratulated him on moving to a bigger club.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
City literally just signed the kind of players you would sign yourself in FM. The difference between the casual FM player and Manchester Utd is the glazers. City have been so good they’ve been able to let go of numerous players who would easily be starters and probably be our most important players. The players we eventually cut out fade into oblivion after they’ve ridden the gravy train for as long as possible. Your average football fan would run this club better than the glazers have just by using common sense and putting football first

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The Pep comments are excessively petulant, even by his standards. He's usually more subtle and tongue in cheek with his digs, but he's fully cracked up this time round and essentially went with a 'no you!' dig. Don't want to read too much into it just yet, but perhaps he feels their hollow plastic empire is slowly collapsing? :angel:
He wanted to be first in the lifeboat

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
City literally just signed the kind of players you would sign yourself in FM. The difference between the casual FM player and Manchester Utd is the glazers. City have been so good they’ve been able to let go of numerous players who would easily be starters and probably be our most important players. The players we eventually cut out fade into oblivion after they’ve ridden the gravy train for as long as possible. Your average football fan would run this club better than the glazers have just by using common sense and putting football first
Glazers strategy has been fast and loose risk with no strategy to try and get top 4. If they’d have been willing to spend 2-3 years, or even 5-6 years like Arsenal or 8-9 years like Liverpool, outside the top 4, then they could have built another winning team with care that never fails to qualify for top 4 and challenges for titles (like those 2 clubs have recently) keeping the fans happy.

Instead it’s just a cycle of falling out the top 4 again and spinning the wheel on another short term solution. This cycle actually hasn’t worked terribly but must be realising that cycle isn’t sustainable as we keep falling out too often.