Pawel Pawlikowski, “Cold War”
Yorgos Lanthimos, “The Favourite”
Alfonso Cuarón, “Roma”
Adam McKay, “Vice”

“Incredibles 2,” Brad Bird
“Isle of Dogs,” Wes Anderson
“Mirai,” Mamoru Hosoda
“Ralph Breaks the Internet,” Rich Moore, Phil Johnston
“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman

“Animal Behaviour,” Alison Snowden, David Fine
“Bao,” Domee Shi
“Late Afternoon,” Louise Bagnall
“One Small Step,” Andrew Chesworth, Bobby Pontillas
“Weekends,” Trevor Jimenez

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs,” Joel Coen , Ethan Coen
“BlacKkKlansman,” Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott, Spike Lee
“Can You Ever Forgive Me?,” Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty
“If Beale Street Could Talk,” Barry Jenkins
“A Star Is Born,” Eric Roth, Bradley Cooper, Will Fetters

“The Favourite,” Deborah Davis, Tony McNamara
“First Reformed,” Paul Schrader
“Green Book,” Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly
“Roma,” Alfonso Cuarón
“Vice,” Adam McKay

“Cold War,” Lukasz Zal
“The Favourite,” Robbie Ryan
“Never Look Away,” Caleb Deschanel
“Roma,” Alfonso Cuarón
“A Star Is Born,” Matthew Libatique

“Free Solo,” Jimmy Chin, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi
“Hale County This Morning, This Evening,” RaMell Ross
“Minding the Gap,” Bing Liu
“Of Fathers and Sons,” Talal Derki
“RBG,” Betsy West, Julie Cohen

“Black Sheep,” Ed Perkins
“End Game,” Rob Epstein, Jeffrey Friedman
“Lifeboat,” Skye Fitzgerald
“A Night at the Garden,” Marshall Curry
“Period. End of Sentence.,” Rayka Zehtabchi

“Detainment,” Vincent Lambe
“Fauve,” Jeremy Comte
“Marguerite,” Marianne Farley
“Mother,” Rodrigo Sorogoyen
“Skin,” Guy Nattiv

“Capernaum” (Lebanon)
“Cold War” (Poland)
“Never Look Away” (Germany)
“Roma” (Mexico)
“Shoplifters” (Japan)

“BlacKkKlansman,” Barry Alexander Brown
“Bohemian Rhapsody,” John Ottman
“Green Book,” Patrick J. Don Vito
“The Favourite,” Yorgos Mavropsaridis
“Vice,” Hank Corwin

“Black Panther,” Benjamin A. Burtt, Steve Boeddeker
“Bohemian Rhapsody,” John Warhurst
“First Man,” Ai-Ling Lee, Mildred Iatrou Morgan
“A Quiet Place,” Ethan Van der Ryn, Erik Aadahl
“Roma,” Sergio Diaz, Skip Lievsay

“Black Panther”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“First Man”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”

“Black Panther,” Hannah Beachler
“First Man,” Nathan Crowley, Kathy Lucas
“The Favourite,” Fiona Crombie, Alice Felton
“Mary Poppins Returns,” John Myhre, Gordon Sim
“Roma,” Eugenio Caballero, Bárbara Enrı́quez

“BlacKkKlansman,” Terence Blanchard
“Black Panther,” Ludwig Goransson
“If Beale Street Could Talk,” Nicholas Britell
“Isle of Dogs,” Alexandre Desplat
“Mary Poppins Returns,” Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman

“All The Stars” from “Black Panther” by Kendrick Lamar, SZA
“I’ll Fight” from “RBG” by Diane Warren, Jennifer Hudson
“The Place Where Lost Things Go” from “Mary Poppins Returns” by Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman
“Shallow” from “A Star Is Born” by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, Andrew Wyatt and Benjamin Rice
“When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings” from “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” by Willie Watson, Tim Blake Nelson

“Border”
“Mary Queen of Scots”
“Vice”

“Ballad of Buster Scruggs,” Mary Zophres
“Black Panther,” Ruth E. Carter
“The Favourite,” Sandy Powell
“Mary Poppins Returns,” Sandy Powell
“Mary Queen of Scots,” Alexandra Byrne

“Avengers: Infinity War”
“Christopher Robin”
“First Man”
“Ready Player One”
“Solo: A Star Wars Story”

Initial thoughts. Be fantastic if Olivia Colman wins an Oscar. How the actual feck did Black Panther get a nomination for best picture? Is this the first time a movie has ever got this nomination despite none of the actors or director being up for an individual award?

Last edited:

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Yeah pretty sure we know why Black Panther was nominated.

Not even the best MCU movie of the year.

Tarrou

I'm going to see Roma, but from best picture looks weak this year

not sure how they've decided who is lead and who is support in Green Book - both parts were equally prominent IMO

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Bohemian Rhapsody is odder than Black Panther for me. An absolute daytime-movie cheese fest of nonsense. I’m genuinely surprised that a character didn’t actually say “wow, it sounds like some kind of Bohemian Rhapsody” at some point...

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
A Star is Born, Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody aren't Oscar material at all if you ask me. Though, honestly, who even knows what the criteria are.

Also, I thought Rami Malek was better in Papillon. Though perhaps that wasn't in 2018?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Barrel scraping. Struggling to remember what Adam Driver really did in BlacKKKlansman other than just being there.

I need to watch The Favourite.

beedoubleyou

Return of The King was the weakest of the Lord of the Rings films but it was a good way to acknowledge the entire trilogy.

Black Panther is not one of the best Marvel movies, and none of the Marvel movies have been anything close to award-winning in my opinion, but the nomination is an acknowledgement of a shifting tide.

Quite right too.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Return of The King was the weakest of the Lord of the Rings films but it was a good way to acknowledge the entire trilogy.

Black Panther is not one of the best Marvel movies, and none of the Marvel movies have been anything close to award-winning in my opinion, but the nomination is an acknowledgement of a shifting tide.

Quite right too.
But there were better Marvel movies made the same year. Not that any of them deserve an Oscar IMO.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Green Book
A Star is Born
Bohemian Rhapsody
are all worse choices for Best Picture, than Black Panther, Green Book especially

Also you can't deny the cultural impact of Black Panther, even if you don't like the movie personally.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
A Star is Born racing away with Best Picture there. Not the best film, obviously, but pushes all the right buttons to clean up.

beedoubleyou

But there were better Marvel movies made the same year. Not that any of them deserve an Oscar IMO.
As I said, it's an acknowledgement of the changing tide. It's a good thing, it's a nice thing and there's no way on earth this should boil anyone's piss.

Pogue Mahone

As I said, it's an acknowledgement of the changing tide. It's a good thing, it's a nice thing and there's no way on earth this should boil anyone's piss.
My piss is lukewarm, don’t worry. Just think it’s a bang average kid’s movie which should never have got that nomination.

What do you mean by “changing tide”, by the way?

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Seems weak this year from what people are saying. Only really seen BlacKKKlansman and thought it was alright. Nothing special.

beedoubleyou

My piss is lukewarm, don’t worry. Just think it’s a bang average kid’s movie which should never have got that nomination.
I think it's pretty average too, though it clearly went beyond 'the kids' to make nearly $1.5 billion at the box-office. It was a huge cultural moment which will hopefully inspire a new generation.

NinjaFletch

At risk of turning this into an unwanted Marvel thread what was the better movie?

I feel like people are alluding to Infinity War, and I can see why that was more popular with fans, but from a standalone perspective as a film it relied entirely on previous familiarity with characters to carry a pretty weak plot which served purely as an excuse to get an all star cast together. That cast was fecking huge though, and at times I'd argue it was downright impossible to follow why on earth you should care about the majority of the characters in it, unless you are a Marvel obsessive.

Even then, it was mostly just an exercise in scene setting for the second one. It was alright, as all Marvel films are, but it really has little going for it as a standalone piece of filmmaking.

Black Panther was hardly Oscar nom worthy, but as a one-off film it was leagues ahead and I can see easily why a panel of people who aren't diehard marvel fans would pick it as the better film of the two.

beedoubleyou

At risk of turning this into an unwanted Marvel thread what was the better movie?

I feel like people are alluding to Infinity War, and I can see why that was more popular with fans, but from a standalone perspective as a film it relied entirely on previous familiarity with characters to carry a pretty weak plot which served purely as an excuse to get an all star cast together. That cast was fecking huge though, and times I'd argue it was downright impossible to follow why on earth you should care about the majority of the characters in it, unless you are a Marvel obsessive.

Even then, it was mostly just an exercise in scene setting for the second one. It was alright, as all Marvel films are, but it really has little going for it as a standalone piece of filmmaking.

Black Panther was hardly Oscar nom worthy, but as a one-off film it was leagues ahead and I can see easily why a panel of people who aren't diehard marvel fans would pick it as the better film of the two.
I don't think they were ever really competing with each other, certainly not for an Oscar nomination, as I've said, this is more about the cultural significance of Black Panther, not it's brilliance as a piece of filmmaking.

In my opinion, Avengers 3 was the better film, though bewildering without knowing at least 4 or 5 other movies. Black Panther was about in the middle of the road for these Marvel origins, but was genuinely different. Neither was as good as Into The Spiderverse though.

Coxy

Quite right too.
Wash your mouth out!

NinjaFletch

I don't think they were ever really competing with each other, certainly not for an Oscar nomination, as I've said, this is more about the cultural significance of Black Panther, not it's brilliance as a piece of filmmaking.

In my opinion, Avengers 3 was the better film, though bewildering without knowing at least 4 or 5 other movies. Black Panther was about in the middle of the road for these Marvel origins, but was genuinely different. Neither was as good as Into The Spiderverse though.
I agree, but at least two players have suggested that it's a bad choice because it's not even the best Marvel movie this year.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I think Ballad of Buster Scruggs should have gotten a best picture but I am not surprised my taste is not reflected in the Oscar voters since it rarely ever is.

As usual I haven't even heard of a few of these yet so I'll have to watch them at some point like Greenbook and Star is Born I have no idea about.

Bale definitely deserves a best actor for Vice. He was much better than I imagined would be possible. I was very skeptical when I saw that casting and he completely exceeded all my expectations.

I can't imagine which was better, the Spider Man animated movie? I think the acting in Black Panther was better than most Marvel movies so that would win my vote

Pogue Mahone

I feel like people are alluding to Infinity War, and I can see why that was more popular with fans, but from a standalone perspective as a film it relied entirely on previous familiarity with characters to carry a pretty weak plot which served purely as an excuse to get an all star cast together. That cast was fecking huge though, and at times I'd argue it was downright impossible to follow why on earth you should care about the majority of the characters in it, unless you are a Marvel obsessive.

I'm a long way from a diehard Marvel fan. I've never read any of the comics and don't even think I've watched all the films. I only go to watch the fecking things because I'm a dad of two young kids. Otherwise I'd leave them well alone. I thought Infinity War was just a better film. More interesting. Better acting performances (Josh Brolin made for a compelling villain, despite his massive prosthetic chin) and generally had a lot more depth than Black Panther, which was a real paint it by numbers generic superhero movie. Which was utterly predictable and had a pretty terrible grand finale. IMHO anyway. I also thought Thor Ragnarok was much better too. At least it tried to do something a bit different to the genre, by being much more camp and funny than the poe-faced stuff that's becoming the norm these days.

I can actually get on board with wanting to find a way to get movies with black directors/actors a bit more represented in the Oscars but would have thought that something like Sorry to Bother You would have been a better choice if that's the agenda here. I guess I just think that superhero movies are a bit shit in general, so find it weird that one of them ends up with an Oscar nomination, when there were better ones made the same year. And once again, I should stress, I don't think any of them has ever been good enough to be nominated as best picture.

Redo91

Surely The Favourite will clean up. Coleman for Best Actress and can see Emma Stone winning best support.

Think Cooper deserves best actor although I haven’t seen Vice.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I think Ballad of Buster Scruggs should have gotten a best picture but I am not surprised my taste is not reflected in the Oscar voters since it rarely ever is.

As usual I haven't even heard of a few of these yet so I'll have to watch them at some point like Greenbook and Star is Born I have no idea about.

Bale definitely deserves a best actor for Vice. He was much better than I imagined would be possible. I was very skeptical when I saw that casting and he completely exceeded all my expectations.

I can't imagine which was better, the Spider Man animated movie? I think the acting in Black Panther was better than most Marvel movies so that would win my vote
Infinity War was far, far better.

Idxomer

Roma will win, they even nominated their two unknown actresses that no one has ever heard of them before last year.

Great movie though, so I don't mind.

NinjaFletch

I'm a long way from a diehard Marvel. I've never read any of the comics and don't even think I've watched all the films. I only go to watch the fecking things because I'm a dad of two young kids. Otherwise I'd leave them well alone. I thought Infinity War was just a better film. More interesting. Better acting performances (Josh Brolin made for a compelling villain, despite his massive prosthetic chin) and generally had a lot more depth than Black Panther, which was a real paint it by numbers generic superhero movie. Which was utterly predictable and had a pretty terrible grand finale. IMHO anyway. I also thought Thor Ragnarok was much better too. At least it tried to do something a bit different to the genre, by being much more camp and funny than the poe-faced stuff that's becoming the norm these days.

I can actually get on board with wanting to find a way to get movies with black directors/actors a bit more represented in the Oscars but would have thought that something like Sorry to Bother You would have been a better choice if that's the agenda here. I guess I just think that superhero movies are a bit shit in general, so find it weird that one of them ends up with an Oscar nomination, when there were better ones made the same year.
Each to their own. I think all those criticisms could be made of Infinity War too, although I probably would go further with them. I just found that Black Panther fulfilled it's basic requirements and held my attention for the two hours. I was actively bored of Infinity War by the end. In fact, I think the only fleeting moment of actual heart in Infinity War was the brief seconds where Spiderman was disappearing. The rest of it was boring segments of CGI hitting other bits of CGI with stakes so ludicrously high that, paradoxically, any sense of peril or danger was taken out because Marvel just aren't going to cull their cash cow like that. I don't think Black Panther was itself much better than alright, and certainly am surprised to see it get a nom, but I think it was comfortably the better film.

At any rate, Black Panther scored higher with most critics at the time of release, so it's hardly a surprise that – if a marvel film was going to get a nom this year – Black Panther would be the one. It's not the only odd choice on there, and it may simply be a reflection of a poor year.

I do agree that Thor Ragnarok was good though.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Infinity War was far, far better.
Huh. I couldn't make it more than 15 minutes into Infinity War before I turned it off to watch something more interesting to me. I thought it was corny rubbish.

I don't think Infinity War has much appeal outside the Marvel fanbase

Coxy

Huh. I couldn't make it more than 15 minutes into Infinity War before I turned it off to watch something more interesting to me. I thought it was corny rubbish.

I don't think Infinity War has much appeal outside the Marvel fanbase
It's a pretty big fan base:

It was the fourth film and the first superhero film to gross over $2 billion worldwide, breaking numerous box office records and becoming the highest-grossing film of 2018, as well as the fourth-highest-grossing film of all time and in the United States and Canada

kps88

I don't even think Black Panther is the weakest film in its category.

RORY65

I don't even think Black Panther is the weakest film in its category.
Bohemian Rhapsody verged on embarrassing at times, particularly the Mike Myers scene. That being said I don't get how Black Panther is getting rated above Spiderverse in addition to numerous other films

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports

It was the fourth film and the first superhero film to gross over $2 billion worldwide, breaking numerous box office records and becoming the highest-grossing film of 2018, as well as the fourth-highest-grossing film of all time and in the United States and Canada
That's bigger than I expected but Disney has been good at saturating the world with Marvel Universe marketing the last 10 years.

You cannot be serious.
I can only speak for my experience which is that Black Panther was being discussed by many people I know that never have any interest in super hero movies. No one I know was talking about Infinity War except the hardcore Marvel comics fans I know. Maybe its different for different age groups; maybe for under-23 group Infinity had crossover appeal but I didn't see any compared to Black Panther among the 30-50s people I know.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

It's a huge fanbase but it was still a movie which relied heavily on people having seen previous films in said franchise and being invested in characters/storylines as a result of that. There's a risk you end up with a film that's sort of satisfying to fans who've been waiting for it, but that doesn't necessarily work as a standalone film when looked at in a wider context.

Anyway, looks like a poor year overall. Few on there I do want to see, but which haven't exactly received universal praise either.

Zen

I like how people still casually drop "kids film" in for not actually kids films......I've not actually seen Black Panther somehow yet, but went to watch Infinity War and Ant-Man somehow and neither time were there really many kids at these near sell outs. Also Black Panther must be godawful if those 2 were better - which I doubt, some guys I kinda trust say it's actually pretty good, even if not quite to the hyperbolic standards.

Well done to an super duper mainstream awards rewarding one of the highest rated and money taking mainstream films, like Pixar when they finally got a nom, Marvel have earned it. Follow Cannes or other awards if you want all your nominations to be for artistic integrity. It's not like they've rewarded Michael Bay, Feige has put a lot of care into all this, kudos to him.