Film Oscars 2019

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Agreed. Far too left field a film to garner an oscar nom though.
I thought Ramsay might have build up enough of a reputation for her previous films to be due a bit of a breakthrough with a Oscar nom, especially with a sort-of A list star in the leading role. Guess not.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Hope Olivia Coleman wins best actress. I remember watching her in Peep Show.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I think you're a bit harsh with some of those, but this is excellent :lol:

Nilssy, why isn't Burning nominated? Was it the year before? I'm fine with Cold War winning as much as it can, but I'm a bit surprised to not see Burning.
Too opaque. Best foreign Oscar fodder mostly tends to be easily chewed stuff for a general American audience.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
What's Black Panther's cultural impact?
Off the top of my head, the African references, the black cast & black director, the language & cultural garments, the slang used. The connection between the diaspora between Africans & African Americans, having pride of being African.
I'm sure there's plenty more think pieces on google.

jungledrums

Off the top of my head, the African references, the black cast & black director, the language & cultural garments, the slang used. The connection between the diaspora between Africans & African Americans, having pride of being African.
I'm sure there's plenty more think pieces on google.
All worthy of celebration. But ‘best’ picture? That’s a lamentable list of ‘best’ films if Black Panther makes the cut, regardless of its cultural impact.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The Oscars have always been a poor measurement of lasting cinematic impact. I do wonder though, which is the most forgettable Oscars championed film ever?

Some candidates:

The Artist - I think one of the reasons why no one remembers it is because every one who actually enjoyed it later discovered real actual silent films.

The Descendants - When I was googling for it, a Disney produced television film came up first...I vaguely remember a bunch of middle aged men walking around forlornly in Hawaii shirts.

American Hustle - One of several David O. Russel films starring Jennifer Lawrence that seemingly only existed for a brief period of about two months before evaporating into thin air.

Boyhood - As a letterboxd reviewer aptly put it: "Took 12 years to make and less than 12 months for everyone to stop caring.".

Dallas Buyers Club - It's like everyone either lost their passion for the film or their desire to watch it as McConaughey was giving his acceptance speech.

Spotlight - Yeah, I have to do a double take everytime. The cinematic equivalent of walking around in an Ikea store.
So so bad. Turns out young kids who can act don't necessarily grow up into young adults who can act. Who knew?!?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
All worthy of celebration. But ‘best’ picture? That’s a lamentable list of ‘best’ films if Black Panther makes the cut, regardless of its cultural impact.
It is a lamentable list overall I agree, but Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody & A Star is Born are more worthy of contempt than Black Panther, imo of course
The Oscars isn't necessarily a celebration of the most artistic & cinematic movies, but usually a combination that also includes the most popular movies - and the popular movies aren't always the most artistic or necessarily celebrated as being 'the best'.
But everything is subjective of course.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Too opaque. Best foreign Oscar fodder mostly tends to be easily chewed stuff for a general American audience.
That's depressing, it feels like a big hole given how good it is.

And von Trier is not an Academy darling I gather? (I know you didn't like The House that Jack Built, but I feel like it might have deserved a nod for the quality of directing)

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
That's depressing, it feels like a big hole given how good it is.

And von Trier is not an Academy darling I gather? (I know you didn't like The House that Jack Built, but I feel like it might have deserved a nod for the quality of directing)
He'd probably consider an Academy nomination to be the worst thing that ever happened to him.

Chairman Steve

You shouldn't really take stock in the Academy Awards. Lots of political reasonings go into it such as equality, 'diversity for diversity's sake', anti-right crap, all the makings of left-leaning folk especially in the state most known for left-leaning.

I've seen some Best Picture winners that were really good movies that are praised to this day, some really good movies that are sadly forgotten about and some boring/shit movie that was preachy, up its own ass, obvious low hanging fruit to appease Academy people's agenda etc.

Shakespeare in Love was deemed a better movie than Saving Private Ryan one year... that's all you need to know when watching these award ceremonies.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Always new there was something dodgy about you

The Posts Nilssy Wrote is von Trier's next masterpiece.
Just me and him in some warehouse in rural Sweden examining the posts I've made about him in the movie thread. Prix du Jury winner at Cannes 2020.

Cheers for encouraging me to finally watch Mandy btw, that's 121 minutes I'll never get back.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
So so bad. Turns out young kids who can act don't necessarily grow up into young adults who can act. Who knew?!?
I really liked that movie but I am just a Linklater fan and I liked the experimental nature (I liked Slacker too back in the day despite people hating that one)

That year was also IMO the strongest ever for Best Pictures. The only year in history where I actually enjoyed every single one of the best picture nominations (Grand Budapest was my favorite though).

Lala land was probably the most overhyped garbage movie the Oscars have oversold for me, it was so stereotypical Hollywood scene

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
My Mrs has reliably informed me that there is one bit where he kisses a man. Or rather a man kisses him, and he recoils, and asks “why did you do that?” and then it fades out into vague suggestion and it never happens again.

The film seems to largely be about his love affair with a woman, which is really, really fecking weird. It’s ironically like something they’d make in the 80s, when people were still a bit squeamish about that kind of stuff.

As for drugs, there’s one scene where he’s throwing a supposedly lavish party, which just seems to consist of him wearing a silly jacket and everyone telling him not to stay up too late. Like he’s 12. It’s absolutely ridiculous. But not in the way it should be.
I mean, they have it in there. And the film was about Freddies journey but reduced any on-screen happenings to keep it possible to watch for most people. They showed it (somewhat) and had parts of the movie surround that specifically.
Again, unless I remember it wrong.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I really liked that movie but I am just a Linklater fan and I liked the experimental nature (I liked Slacker too back in the day despite people hating that one)

That year was also IMO the strongest ever for Best Pictures. The only year in history where I actually enjoyed every single one of the best picture nominations (Grand Budapest was my favorite though).

Lala land was probably the most overhyped garbage movie the Oscars have oversold for me, it was so stereotypical Hollywood scene
I quite liked Boyhood but found the parents to be much more interesting than the central kid. It was as if they became so focused with the conceit of the film and the big names they'd managed to land that they forgot to give him an actual character. Or actual friends. Plus every adult in his life tends to be a dick unnecessarily at points to create tension that otherwise isn't really there.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I wonder if they'd be better trimming down the actor categories? Like...either just doing a best lead performer and best supporting performer, or doing a best actor and best actress, with supporting roles qualifying for both? Since they don't tend to look to foreign films a lot of the time and very much have a type, you generally end up with a lot of fairly meh performers in okayish films getting nominated because they're trying to fill up the numbers. Narrowing the list of candidates would perhaps give it more meaning. Although admittedly there have been much stronger years in that regard.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I generally liked La La Land but, the actual music was not that good. The first 2 numbers were the only ones that were real showstoppers. Moonlight was the correct choice especially since that is probably the best movie to come out this decade so far.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I wonder if they'd be better trimming down the actor categories? Like...either just doing a best lead performer and best supporting performer, or doing a best actor and best actress, with supporting roles qualifying for both? Since they don't tend to look to foreign films a lot of the time and very much have a type, you generally end up with a lot of fairly meh performers in okayish films getting nominated because they're trying to fill up the numbers. Narrowing the list of candidates would perhaps give it more meaning. Although admittedly there have been much stronger years in that regard.
There is always enough quality performances for the awards it is just the Academy tends to go for the performances that are the most showy.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I dont think Black Panther should have been nominated, i dont even think it was the best released by Marvel last year.

But some of the comments in here are shocking. Not a big fanbase? Kids films? Its a stigma attached to comic book films that i dont think will truly ever leave.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Giving a nomination to actress who played the mother in Roma might just be the first case of them nominating a meh performance from a foreign film in order to fill up the numbers.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I dont think Black Panther should have been nominated, i dont even think it was the best released by Marvel last year.

But some of the comments in here are shocking. Not a big fanbase? Kids films? Its a stigma attached to comic book films that i dont think will truly ever leave.
In fairness, I don't think it's because it's a comic book film. For example, a lot of us think of Star Wars as kids films too, which draws similar dismay from some Star Wars fans.

Not that there's anything wrong with liking kids films, kids films can be wonderful. In fact that best picture category could easily be improved by adding more kids films if you picked the right ones. God knows there are plenty better than the likes of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
In fairness, I don't think it's because it's a comic book film. For example, a lot of us think of Star Wars as kids films too, which draws similar dismay from some Star Wars fans.

Not that there's anything wrong with liking kids films, kids films can be wonderful. In fact that best picture category could easily be improved by adding more kids films if you picked the right ones. God knows there are plenty better than the likes of Bohemian Rhapsody.
I often think 'family film' is a better description than kids film. Plenty of the major action blockbusters from Marvel and the like are dark enough and have enough deaths so that they're not really for young kids, so to speak, but they're still fairly flimsy and light all the same, with a guaranteed win for the heroes even if they do suffer a loss or two along the way. They serve as inoffensive family entertainment but aim to succeed critically by not being too light-hearted, and trying to have a bit of edge...even if it's ultimately not that much.

Kapardin

Black Panther's nominations.:lol:

Seriously, it was a good movie but Best Picture is a bit too much. Think the pandering needs to stop, this is why the Oscars mean squat nowadays.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Star Wars was never a comic, right? It started off as a movie and then spawned the books. Not that different from LoTR any of other movies that link wback to books.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Well to all the people who complain that the Academy does not nominate enough popular movies for Major Awards this year Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody are up for Best Picture. Happy?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

It is a kids film, though. Or family film anyway. Not all movies based on comic books are aimed at kids/families. Deadpool or The Watchmen could never be described in that way.

I don’t read them but would presume the same is true of the comics these movies are based on. Most are aimed at younger readers, some have more adult content/themes.