Best Picture: Roma
Best Director: Spike Lee
Best Actor: Christian Bale
Best Actress: Glenn Close
Best Supporting Actor: Adam Driver
Best Supporting Actress: Amy Adams

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bohemian Rhapsody buries Black Panther in the "how the hell was this nominated?" stakes, which isn't to say that Black Panther wasn't a fairly ordinary film itself.

Someone compared Marvel being nominated to Pixar being nominated but the key difference is that Pixar make better films.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Bohemian Rhapsody buries Black Panther in the "how the hell was this nominated?" stakes, which isn't to say that Black Panther wasn't a fairly ordinary film itself.

Someone compared Marvel being nominated to Pixar being nominated but the key difference is that Pixar make better films.
Green Book is the winner in that stakes.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
If Roma is better than Shoplifters it must be pretty bloody good.

starman

Blackkklansman, Bohemian Rhapsody & Black Panther should be nowhere near the best film. 2018 wasnt exactly a stellar year for movies but these must be one of the worst collective nominations i've seen

Surprised First Man couldn't even make it onto that list. If they are going to stick a Marvel movie on there no doubt Infinity War should be ahead of Black Panther (which is not even in my top 10 Marvel movies)

settembrini

Black Panther is just a bog standard marvel movie. I watched it, I liked it, I had forgotten it a week later. If it's being nominated as an individual film then they should have had about 15 of their other movies nominated, if it's been picked to 'reward the franchise' as some people are saying then it should have been Infinity War.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Abso-fecking-lutly. And by a long fecking way, too. Both as a contextless film, and a fitting tribute to its source. But then people couldn’t get angry about comic book moves or SJW agendas, and those things make people way more angry than a movie about Freddie Mercury where he doesn’t kiss a man or take a drug in the whole fecking thing. Says a lot.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
This is why the "popular film" category, or whatever they were calling the proposal, would've been half decent.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Abso-fecking-lutly. And by a long fecking way, too. Both as a contextless film, and a fitting tribute to its source. But then people couldn’t get angry about comic book moves or SJW agendas, and those things make people way more angry than a movie about Freddie Mercury where he doesn’t kiss a man or take a drug in the whole fecking thing. Says a lot.
I’ll assume that I’m excluded from that group of people as I didn’t watch Bohemian Rhapsody because it sounded shit and - unlike Black Panther - I didn’t have to accompany my kids to watch it. Having actually seen Black Panther, however, I stand by my point that it’s a piss poor decision to have it on the shortlist.

Out of interest, what’s your theory on the Academy blind-spot that gave BR an oscar nom?

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
As expected, Hereditary doesn't even get a mention. I know the academy generally looks down on horror but it had a better lead and support performance as well as a better script and better direction than most of the tripe nominated.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Spike Lee was long overdue obviously so was his long time collaborator Terence Blanchard for best score.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Am I misremembering?
I thought I had seen both. :lol:

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Out of all of those I'd probably watch only "Roma" because of the director, usually his films look stunning. I assume it's not about football.

Haven't seen anything in a long while that's left an impression, like "this is one of my favourite films!" type of thing. Probably getting old. Everything I like is from 10-15 years ago and older.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I’ll assume that I’m excluded from that group of people as I didn’t watch Bohemian Rhapsody because it sounded shit and - unlike Black Panther - I didn’t have to accompany my kids to watch it. Having actually seen Black Panther, however, I stand by my point that it’s a piss poor decision to have it on the shortlist.

Out of interest, what’s your theory on the Academy blind-spot that gave BR an oscar nom?
It has the veneer of an award-worthy film. It looks like the kind of minutely observerd biopic, with a showy technical performance from a cool actor as another famous person*, that they usually give awards to. Like Ray or Walk the Line.

That’s all the Oscar’s is. It’s a terrible, hollow awards ceremony that usually gets all the awards wrong, and has been openly crooked since the Weinsteins rigged it for Shakespeare in Love back in the 90s.

Vice is also a bit like this. It looks like it should win awards, and utilises all the same tricks as the Big Short, which did win awards, and it has a showy technical performance from a cool actor as another famous person**, but it’s actually kinda bad. It’s just a series of sketches about Dick Cheney being a horrible person, and while Dick Cheney is undoubtedly a really, really horrible person, everyone already knew that, and it doesn’t attempt in anyway to tell us why, and it goes on forever, with no real throughline or attempt at an arc, and ends trying to tie it all to the most ridiculously on the nose metaphor ever!.... but again, it looks like an awards film. It’s got the veneer of one. So, boop, better nominate it. It’s not even got good reviews, but seems to have been nominated before it’s even come out!

Green Book also falls into this category by all accounts. But I haven’t seen it.

*which I don’t even think is really that amazing. It starts off pretty good, but then maintains exactly the same level for the entire film. It’s like when someone can do a really good impression of someone saying one particular phrase, but spread out for two hours.

** Sam Rockwell also seems to be nominated for doing an SNL bit as George Bush for 10 minutes. ‘Cos sure, why not.

Am I misremembering?
I thought I had seen both. :lol:
My Mrs has reliably informed me that there is one bit where he kisses a man. Or rather a man kisses him, and he recoils, and asks “why did you do that?” and then it fades out into vague suggestion and it never happens again.

The film seems to largely be about his love affair with a woman, which is really, really fecking weird. It’s ironically like something they’d make in the 80s, when people were still a bit squeamish about that kind of stuff.

As for drugs, there’s one scene where he’s throwing a supposedly lavish party, which just seems to consist of him wearing a silly jacket and everyone telling him not to stay up too late. Like he’s 12. It’s absolutely ridiculous. But not in the way it should be.

Last edited:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Out of all of those I'd probably watch only "Roma" because of the director, usually his films look stunning. I assume it's not about football.
Before I watched it I thought it was about gypsies. Turns out it’s the name of an area of Mexico City.

Member 39557

I've only seen Black Panther and BlacKkKlansman, I might watch Roma in the next week or two.

Black Panther was average. BlacKkKlansman was a good film, although I've no idea why Adam Driver got a nomination for best supporting actor. I'm with Gervais in thinking they should just tweet the winners out to anybody who gives a feck. Who needs a boring drawn out ceremony with a load of gushing speeches about nothing.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I've only seen Black Panther and BlacKkKlansman, I might watch Roma in the next week or two.

Black Panther was average. BlacKkKlansman was a good film, although I've no idea why Adam Driver got a nomination for best supporting actor. I'm with Gervais in thinking they should just tweet the winners out to anybody who gives a feck. Who needs a boring drawn out ceremony with a load of gushing speeches about nothing.
Us here are probably not the target audience for the Oscars.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Eh is she trying to say more popular films need to be nominated? And the movie industry changed dramatically once the "blockbuster" movie became a thing in the 80s. Just look at the movies that were top grossing in the 70s. In her video it showed that One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Dog Day Afternoon were top grossing films in 1975. Can you imagine films like that finishing in the top 10 now. Heck the movie I always use as an example is Kramer v.s Kramer it won best picture and finished #1 in the box office in 1979. Could you imagine a movie with a similar plot finishing even in the top 50 now? Compare Kramer v.s Kramer to say Revolutionary Road or Blue Valentine in terms of box office success.

jungledrums

Black Panther? Would ya feck off...

Into the Spider-Verse should walk the animated feature.
Think you're a little off the mark actually. I found Isle of Dogs to be about 400 times the film Spider-Verse was. I'm sure I'm not alone in that opinion, either.

GBBQ

The thing is Bohemian Rhapsody could have easily been the oscar-baitiest film by a long shot if it just focused on the actual story of the band and Freddie. Its like mashing Walk the Line and Philidelphia together. They sanitised it to make more money but there is a much better story to be told.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think Ballad of Buster Scruggs should have gotten a best picture but I am not surprised my taste is not reflected in the Oscar voters since it rarely ever is.
+1. I really enjoyed this.

Only short I didn’t enjoy was the Liam Neeson one.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Given the paucity of quality in the best picture category you'd think something like You Were Never Really Here would would have snuck a nomination.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The Oscars have always been a poor measurement of lasting cinematic impact. I do wonder though, which is the most forgettable Oscars championed film ever?

Some candidates:

The Artist - I think one of the reasons why no one remembers it is because every one who actually enjoyed it later discovered real actual silent films.

The Descendants - When I was googling for it, a Disney produced television film came up first...I vaguely remember a bunch of middle aged men walking around forlornly in Hawaii shirts.

American Hustle - One of several David O. Russel films starring Jennifer Lawrence that seemingly only existed for a brief period of about two months before evaporating into thin air.

Boyhood - As a letterboxd reviewer aptly put it: "Took 12 years to make and less than 12 months for everyone to stop caring.".

Dallas Buyers Club - It's like everyone either lost their passion for the film or their desire to watch it as McConaughey was giving his acceptance speech.

Spotlight - Yeah, I have to do a double take everytime. The cinematic equivalent of walking around in an Ikea store.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Green Book
A Star is Born
Bohemian Rhapsody
are all worse choices for Best Picture, than Black Panther, Green Book especially

Also you can't deny the cultural impact of Black Panther, even if you don't like the movie personally.
What's Black Panther's cultural impact?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Spotlight - Yeah, I have to do a double take everytime. The cinematic equivalent of walking around in an Ikea store.
I think you're a bit harsh with some of those, but this is excellent :lol:

Nilssy, why isn't Burning nominated? Was it the year before? I'm fine with Cold War winning as much as it can, but I'm a bit surprised to not see Burning.

jungledrums

Given the paucity of quality in the best picture category you'd think something like You Were Never Really Here would would have snuck a nomination.
Agreed. Far too left field a film to garner an oscar nom though.