Film Oscars 2019

Fosu-Mens

I have now watched the trailers for some of these movies. Based on this well informed position i can surely make a objective and educated judgement:
Best picture: Roma. Master piece based on the trailer.
Lead Actor: Dafoe.
Lead Actress: Colman
Supporting Actor: Driver
Supporting Actress: Stone
Director: Alfonso Cuaron
Animated: Spiderman/verse.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Maybe because I have not been paying attention that much but, it seems that basically all the major awards seem wide open more than any time I can remember.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It had extraordinary numbers in America. Highest grossing film of the year (even ahead of Infinity War) and the third highest grossing film of all time (behind only Star Wars and Avatar).
No records though.

Snow

kps88

Read those records, it's made up stuff that doesn't matter. "Highest opening weekend gross for a predominantly black cast." It's like someone padding their resumé with nonsense.
If highest Tuesday gross for a pre summer release isn't good enough for you I don't know what is.

Snow

None of them matters.

Shit usually gross the most. :mad:

:(
The biggest thing that matters is that it was the second highest grossing movie of 2018. That matters. Biggest gross by a black director doesn't tell me anything or if it sold the most on IMAX screens out of all the superhero movies specifically. Anyways, the movie gross is like the transfers records in football a few years ago. They're broken every year now. Black Panther didn't break any of them but it was close to some.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
La La Land would be at least the 5th best film in this year's best picture race.
I enjoyed it much more than something like Forrest Gump, but I guess it depends very much on where you come from. If you live in LA or if you have no idea what it's like there, your relation to (Jazz) music and musicals, if you are a fan of Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, if you like the style of Damien Chazelle etc. I haven't seen First Man yet, but I'm a big fan of his based on Whiplash and La La Land.

Idxomer

Roma, Cuaron, Malek, Close, Ali, King.

I would be very surprised if the winners in the main categories differ from those six.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I see there's quite a bit of backlash against Bohemian Rhapsody, I really should see it just to make up my own mind. Then again I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate it so I keep putting it off.

Classical Mechanic

I see there's quite a bit of backlash against Bohemian Rhapsody, I really should see it just to make up my own mind. Then again I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate it so I keep putting it off.
I have't seen it but have spoken to a number of people that said they loved it after expecting to hate it. Even heard that at some screenings there were standing ovations after it. It might be one for big screen mind.

Its one of those films that is loathed by the critics but loved by the plebs.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I have't seen it but have spoken to a number of people that said they loved it after expecting to hate it. Even heard that at some screenings there were standing ovations after it. It might be one for big screen mind.

Its one of those films that is loathed by the critics but loved by the plebs.
Meh. Heard some bad things from some friends, and the reviews in the main movie thread on here were pretty split.

Classical Mechanic

Meh. Heard some bad things from some friends, and the reviews in the main movie thread on here were pretty split.
What I mean is that it seems to be a feel good film. If you're expecting high art or something gritty or something that chimes with modern identity politics and the plight of a homosexual man, then you will be disappointed.

Kapardin

Basically, the remaining band members of Queen decided to tell the world how evil Freddie had almost destroyed their band with his wayward addictions and homosexual tendencies while the others were just charming, simple, heterosexual blokes with families. If you can digest that narrative, yeah, I'd say it's a one time watch but nothing to rave over.

Oh, and the editing in this segment does not help the movie's cause:

Still, I reckon it isn't unenjoyable, just not Oscar worthy.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Basically, the remaining band members of Queen decided to tell the world how evil Freddie had almost destroyed their band with his wayward addictions and homosexual tendencies while the others were just charming, simple, heterosexual blokes with families. If you can digest that narrative, yeah, I'd say it's a one time watch but nothing to rave over.

Never has 5 men chatting outside in a pub garden been captured so viscerally. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole thing.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

I think the amount of cuts during that scene has given me an aneurysm.

stepic

yep, pretty much.

as you say, feel good movie. not oscar material in the slightest

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It ain't just that scene:

Christ. I feel dizzy.

In fairness, I think the quality of films this year was dire in general.

I went to the cinema a lot this year, and I think the only films I came out feeling like I'd got my moneys worth were BlackKKlansman, Bad times at the El Royale and Hereditary.

I also went to see the fecking abomination that was the Nun, and I'm still dealing with psychological issues ever since. Not because it was scary, just because it was so mind numbingly shite that my brain gave up halfway through.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Christ. I feel dizzy.

In fairness, I think the quality of films this year was dire in general.

I went to the cinema a lot this year, and I think the only films I came out feeling like I'd got my moneys worth were BlackKKlansman, Bad times at the El Royale and Hereditary.

I also went to see the fecking abomination that was the Nun, and I'm still dealing with psychological issues ever since. Not because it was scary, just because it was so mind numbingly shite that my brain gave up halfway through.
I forgot about that one. That was better than any of the best picture nominees IMO. Sicario 2 was also IMO better than all the best picture except Vice.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Bohemian Rhapsody should be disqualified for Aidan Gillen's attempt at a Scottish accent alone.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Bohemian Rhapsody should be disqualified for Aidan Gillen's attempt at a Scottish accent alone.
Did he feck accents up again?

In GoT he can't decide what he wants to go with. One minute he's an evil Englishman and the next an evil Irishman.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Did he feck accents up again?

In GoT he can't decide what he wants to go with. One minute he's an evil Englishman and the next an evil Irishman.
I've come to the gradual conclusion he's a genuinely bad actor who just happens to keep on getting significant parts.

poleglass red

Obviously the music in Bohemian Rhapsody was amazing but I thought the film was bollocks. I'd heard rave reviews about out so I maybe went in with too high expectations but I found it absolute shite.

roseguy64

This list from https://www.goldderby.com/article/2...y-film-roma-the-favourite-black-panther-news/ shows why Black Panther was nominated for Best Picture:

10 NOMINATIONS

“The Favourite”
Picture
Director (Yorgos Lanthimos)
Actress (Olivia Colman)
Supporting Actress (Emma Stone)
Supporting Actress (Rachel Weisz)
Original Screenplay
Cinematography
Costume Design
Film Editing
Production Design

“Roma”
Picture
Director (Alfonso Cuaron)
Actress (Yalitza Aparicio)
Supporting Actress (Marina de Tavira)
Original Screenplay
Cinematography
Production Design
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing
Foreign Language Film

8 NOMINATIONS

“A Star Is Born”
Picture
Actress (Lady Gaga)
Actor (Bradley Cooper)
Supporting Actor (Sam Elliott)
Adapted Screenplay
Cinematography
Song (“Shallow”)
Sound Mixing

“Vice”
Picture
Director (Adam McKay)
Actor (Christian Bale)
Supporting Actress (Amy Adams)
Supporting Actor (Sam Rockwell)
Original Screenplay
Film Editing
Makeup and Hairstyling

7 NOMINATIONS

“Black Panther”
Picture
Costume Design
Production Design
Score
Song (“All the Stars”)
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing

6 NOMINATIONS

“BlacKkKlansman”
Picture
Director (Spike Lee)
Supporting Actor (Adam Driver)
Adapted Screenplay
Film Editing
Score

5 NOMINATIONS

“Bohemian Rhapsody”
Picture
Actor (Rami Malek)
Film Editing
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing

“Green Book”
Picture
Actor (Viggo Mortensen)
Supporting Actor (Mahershala Ali)
Original Screenplay
Film Editing

4 NOMINATIONS

“First Man”
Production Design
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing
Visual Effects

“Mary Poppins Returns”
Costume Design
Production Design
Score
Song (“The Place Where Lost Things Go”)

Number of nominations basically. It was nominated in most of the technical categories. Similar to when Mad Max:Fury Road was nominated for Best Picture except that one had a Best Director nod too.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
I don't see how Black Panther can possibly be nominated in any category above Infinity War

It's just a political decision by the Oscars in my opinion

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
This list from https://www.goldderby.com/article/2...y-film-roma-the-favourite-black-panther-news/ shows why Black Panther was nominated for Best Picture:

10 NOMINATIONS

“The Favourite”
Picture
Director (Yorgos Lanthimos)
Actress (Olivia Colman)
Supporting Actress (Emma Stone)
Supporting Actress (Rachel Weisz)
Original Screenplay
Cinematography
Costume Design
Film Editing
Production Design

“Roma”
Picture
Director (Alfonso Cuaron)
Actress (Yalitza Aparicio)
Supporting Actress (Marina de Tavira)
Original Screenplay
Cinematography
Production Design
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing
Foreign Language Film

8 NOMINATIONS

“A Star Is Born”
Picture
Actress (Lady Gaga)
Actor (Bradley Cooper)
Supporting Actor (Sam Elliott)
Adapted Screenplay
Cinematography
Song (“Shallow”)
Sound Mixing

“Vice”
Picture
Director (Adam McKay)
Actor (Christian Bale)
Supporting Actress (Amy Adams)
Supporting Actor (Sam Rockwell)
Original Screenplay
Film Editing
Makeup and Hairstyling

7 NOMINATIONS

“Black Panther”
Picture
Costume Design
Production Design
Score
Song (“All the Stars”)
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing

6 NOMINATIONS

“BlacKkKlansman”
Picture
Director (Spike Lee)
Supporting Actor (Adam Driver)
Adapted Screenplay
Film Editing
Score

5 NOMINATIONS

“Bohemian Rhapsody”
Picture
Actor (Rami Malek)
Film Editing
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing

“Green Book”
Picture
Actor (Viggo Mortensen)
Supporting Actor (Mahershala Ali)
Original Screenplay
Film Editing

4 NOMINATIONS

“First Man”
Production Design
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing
Visual Effects

“Mary Poppins Returns”
Costume Design
Production Design
Score
Song (“The Place Where Lost Things Go”)

Number of nominations basically. It was nominated in most of the technical categories. Similar to when Mad Max:Fury Road was nominated for Best Picture except that one had a Best Director nod too.
Mad Max was legit great though. Though I did enjoy Black Panther, preferred it to Infinity War.

Chairman Steve

Amazing how one of the Farrelly Bros have ended up getting two Oscar nominations.

Dumb and Dumber is now a movie directed and co-written by a two-time Oscar nominee :lol:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Amazing how one of the Farrelly Bros have ended up getting two Oscar nominations.

Dumb and Dumber is now a movie directed and co-written by a two-time Oscar nominee :lol:
And Adam McKay who up for all of the big awards again after directing and writing Vice also directed Anchorman, Talladega Nights and Step Brothers.

Cuaron's Roma ,Lars Von Trier's The House That Jack Built and Guadagnino's re-make of Argento's **** horror film Suspiria were my films of the year.
Only one was nominated.
Been meaning to see The Favourite.
Have no interest in Bohemian Rhapsody.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The favorite is good, but his camera work is really, really odd. Feels like a straightforward story that didn't need it .

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The favorite is good, but his camera work is really, really odd. Feels like a straightforward story that didn't need it .
It did feel odd especially the last scene but, then I saw that it was directed by the guy who did Dogtooth and Lobster and I understood.