Film Oscars 2024

Sweet Square

Well she just killed any chance of the film winning any awards.

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

Poor Things looks like a real contender for Best Picture with all those nominations. Could be an exciting three-horse race. Snubbing Greta Gerwig for Best Director seems strange to me, to make such a successful blockbuster with such a distinct voice and vision is quite an achievement, it’s much more of a director’s movie than a writer’s movie.
People had a problem with the second half of the film having an almost reversed polarity tone from the first half, and Gerwig was unable to keep some actors from acting like they were in a Saturday Night Live skit. Production design and proof of concept was great, but she missed the "heart" of the characters and ended up letting it become a cartoon.
Does Bradley Cooper annoy the shit out of anyone else? Get the vibe that he really thinks he’s generational.
I am with you 100%, brother. I liked him in a couple things but I don't get the passion for whatever it is he's doing when he's ACTING.
Society of snow deserved more.
Can't stand Lantymos films at all.
Not a huge fan either, particularly thought The Favorite was not very impressive at all.
I like the Barbie film because it’s based around the 2am drunken feminist ramblings of Gerwig. It’s probably the reason why it’s made over a billion at the box office.

But in terms of actual quality the only things the film has got is the production design and Gosling performance. So the lack of nominations for best film, best director and best actress makes sense(The car chase scene in Barbie is extremely dog shit for example).
Aye. I don't think it deserved anything for script (adapted or original), the directing was uneven, and smiling and looking pretty is not that difficult. Especially when you compare what Robbie did and what Sandra Hüller did, the difference is night and day.
---

So what's everyone's rankings for the best picture nominees? I can't find a dedicated Oscars thread.

Here's my list, best to worst:

1. Oppenheimer - literally best achievement in film this year. Story, acting, directing.

2. The Zone Of Interest - a brilliant film.
3. Anatomy Of A Fall - another brilliant film, no daylight between these two.

4. Past Lives. Emotionally satisfying film, restrained directing.
5. American Fiction - lightweight film with no risks, but funny.

6. Poor Things - Emma Stone was fun. Ruffalo was garbage. The story tried to say a few things beyond the Frankenstein milieu but failed
7. Barbie - high degree of difficulty, first half was great, second half poor.

8. The Holdovers - good performance from Giamatti, but manipulative, derivative, trite.
9. Maestro - showy without reason, Oscar bait wankery

10. Killers Of The Flower Moon - the worst-paced film I've seen in recent memory. Pointless, plotless, bloodless. Compared to The Irishman last year, Scorsese has fecking lost it. The Irishman wasn't great either, but stands head and shoulders above KOTFM. Maybe if this film had been directed by a first-timer, you would look at the various clever scenes as harbingers of an emerging talent, but since it's from Scorsese and half (at least) of this film is boring and doesn't work, it's more like going to see a singer who can't hit the notes anymore. It's weird ranking Barbie above KOTFM, but there you go.

**new rankings

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

Best Actress will probably go to Lily Gladstone. I think this has more to do with the Academy wanting to show it has diversified than it does with her performance. I found her druggy, somnambulistic performance as tiring as the rest of the film.

Especially when you look at her competition:

Annette Bening - Nyad
Sandra Hüller - Anatomy Of A Fall
Carey Mulligan - Maestro
Emma Stone - Poor Things

I think Gladstone's performance was the least impressive of the lot. Sandra Hüller, then Emma Stone, Annette Bening, and finally Carey Mulligan. Mulligan had a couple very good scenes but they stand out as being made specifically for an Oscar nom, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Unam333

I would be very happy if Lily Gladstone won the Oscar for best actress. She was magnificent in that one. A very nuanced performance. Loved it.

Barbie had a very weak second part. The second part basically killed any hopes of winning the Oscar of best picture.

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
Does Bradley Cooper annoy the shit out of anyone else? Get the vibe that he really thinks he’s generational.
Totally agree. Maestro is essentially a 2hr “Bradley Cooper thinks that Bradley Cooper is great and deserves an Oscar”-wankfest.

AaronRedDevil

10. Killers Of The Flower Moon - the worst-paced film I've seen in recent memory. Pointless, plotless, bloodless. Compared to The Irishman last year, Scorsese has fecking lost it. The Irishman wasn't great either, but stands head and shoulders above KOTFM. Maybe if this film had been directed by a first-timer, you would look at the various clever scenes as harbingers of an emerging talent, but since it's from Scorsese and half (at least) of this film is boring and doesn't work, it's more like going to see a singer who can't hit the notes anymore. It's weird ranking Barbie above KOTFM, but there you go.
Glad someone said it. Such a shit movie. First time I was so close to walking out. Checked my watched and I was like "holy feck, there's still another 2 hours left" :lol:. Scorsese is up his own ass these days. Did he forget people go to the movies to be entertained.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Glad someone said it. Such a shit movie. First time I was so close to walking out. Checked my watched and I was like "holy feck, there's still another 2 hours left" :lol:. Scorsese is up his own ass these days. Did he forget people go to the movies to be entertained.
My showing had a 15-minute intermission, for which I was truly grateful.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Each to their own. Thought it was great and the best directed film of the year, pacing felt great.

Wing Attack Plan R

Each to their own. Thought it was great and the best directed film of the year, pacing felt great.
I feel the same. Didn't feel the time go by at all, it was a gorgeous film. One of my favourites of the year.
That’s why award shows are ultimately meaningless, because art is so subjective. You guys loved KotFM and I was annoyed throughout. I think a lot also has to do with expectations and frame of mind when going in (and amount of dope smoked). I think Killers while high would have been a lot more interesting for me.

roseguy64

Did a review/predictions video for this year's Oscars. Same as I did last year. Released it later than planned as I'd wanted to release it on Thursday not today but that's life.

Oppenheimer, Anatomy Of A Fall, Poor Things, Past Lives and The Holdovers were my top 5. Liked Barbie and KOTFM also. Meh on the others a bit.

Did not get to watch The Zone Of Interest.

roseguy64

I actually think Margot Robbie was great in bringing Barbie to life, but having not seen all the other performances I can't really judge.

I don't get the outrage related to Gerwig, and it's not like there's some evil plot against her as she's actually nominated for adapted screenplay anyway! I don't think the film deserved a directing nod, and I feel it got the nom nods it deserved, overall (I actually really enjoyed America Ferrara's performance in this).
Having now been able to see the other performances I can see why Robbie wasn't nominated. Greta Lee should have been before her too IMO. Annette Bening out of the list for her.

roseguy64

I would be very happy if Lily Gladstone won the Oscar for best actress. She was magnificent in that one. A very nuanced performance. Loved it.

Barbie had a very weak second part. The second part basically killed any hopes of winning the Oscar of best picture.
Gladstone or Stone is gonna win it IMO. Two contrasts. One with a lot of nuance and the other with flair. Will be interesting to see which wins out.

Unam333

That’s why award shows are ultimately meaningless, because art is so subjective. You guys loved KotFM and I was annoyed throughout. I think a lot also has to do with expectations and frame of mind when going in (and amount of dope smoked). I think Killers while high would have been a lot more interesting for me.
Drugs are bad for you mate. ;)

KotFM was one of my favorites as well. My only gripe is that Leonardo DiCaprio's character was such a despicable human being throughout the whole movie and Lily Gladstone's character was too thick to see it.

roseguy64

I feel the same. Didn't feel the time go by at all, it was a gorgeous film. One of my favourites of the year.
Same. It wasn't my favourite but I only felt the time very near the end of it. So could have been better but still pretty good.

Wing Attack Plan R

Drugs are bad for you mate. ;)

KotFM was one of my favorites as well. My only gripe is that Leonardo DiCaprio's character was such a despicable human being throughout the whole movie and Lily Gladstone's character was too thick to see it.
Leo was what I hated the most about it. His stupid speaking style, his wadding in his cheeks, his frown, his inability to add any shadings to that character.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Leo was what I hated the most about it. His stupid speaking style, his wadding in his cheeks, his frown, his inability to add any shadings to that character.
Biggest issue for me was him hooking up with someone about 20 years older than he does in reality. Totally unbelievable 0/10. Lily's character def should have seen that as a red flag.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

**new rankings
I found The Irishman disappointing so I’m not surprised by this. It was classily made, written and acted (was looking forward to Pacina moreso than De Niro), but it was also highly laborious, pointless and self indulgent. Scorcesee seems to have lost track of urgency and intensity in his films. Not every film needs to be a blockbuster but there’s also an art of push and pull with regards to tempo and pacing and even the slower dramatic films / shows need to have it.

RedDevilQuebecois

Hayao Miyazaki's The Boy and the Heron won the Award for Best Animated Feature. A very well deserved Oscar for the second time to the master after Spirited Away back 2 decades ago.

Also Da'Vine Joy Randolph (The Holdovers) won the award for Best Supporting Actress earlier.

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

We're nearly one hour in and Oppenheimer has not won anything yet. The Award for Best Adapted Screenplay just went to American Fiction. :houllier:

RedDevilQuebecois

Seeing John Cena naked was not on my bingo card, especially when he had to present the Award for Best Costume Design. :lol:

Oppenheimer... 0
Poor Things... 3
:mad::mad::nono::nono:

Superunknown

It'll probably be the case that Poor Things picks up more awards, but Oppenheimer wins the ones in the 'bigger' categories.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Would be objectively funny if Oppenheimer and Barbie won nothing.

RedDevilQuebecois

Best Documentary Feature goes to 20 Days in Mariupol.

After Navalny last year, this is the second year in a row where the Academy tells Putin to shove something up his ass.