OT EVACUATED | Device signed as having been recovered, could NOT be detected by sniffer dogs

prateik

Seriously though.. if this is midweek, then we have to play the kids... which might make this game a lot more fun that it was going to be...

Pereira might finally get a game :drool:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can't we just play the game behind closed doors tomorrow? Either that or put it down as a 0-0 draw and have done with it. It seems pretty redundant to play it now.

Playing it properly, means if you can't make it, you can't make it, so you do your money.
Not playing it, means they'd have to refund 76,000 tickets!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
My thoughts exactly. Since the events of Paris, this was a huge fear and something has actually happened here now...it's very real.

Now luckily, no one innocent has suffered today but the worry of this happening again is massive.

I was very angry when I was searched so thoroughly when I attended the Europa League game against Liverpool, but you know what, search everyone like that. They quizzed me because I had an overcoat over a suit (went straight from work), and I became slightly confrontational because I was running late as it was, and it was freezing cold that night. But in hindsight, this has to be the norm.

RoyH1

I'm happy that the security services dealt with this in such a professional manner. Kudos to the crowd too for their orderly and calm evacuation.

Canuckred64

Is there any reason to play this game? It does not matter if we finish 5th or 6th, does not effect the Europa League positions does it? Why play this game midweek and affect our preparations and performance in the FA cup?

mu4c_20le

If the controlled explosion happened (confirmed by police) then there obvious was an explosive? Or is that wrong? Not sure.
It's standard procedure, they do it in the states all the time whenever there's a bomb threat and suspcious package/backpack. Just blow it up and then examine the remains later, even if it turns out to be a plastic toy.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Chances are it was a prank
doesn't sound like it, when they've had to do a controlled explosion. You don't do that for something like this.

The massive relief is clearly that they planted this device, rather than having it on them, which wouldn't have been picked up.

Wonder how good the security is inside with cameras etc. Wonder if they can pick out someone planting it, then presumably leaving straight away. As surely not many leave before its started once theyre in.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Missed parts of the events this afternoon but this looks like some scarey shite.
If someone tried to blow up the stadium that's a little too close to home.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
doesn't sound like it, when they've had to do a controlled explosion. You don't do that for something like this.

The massive relief is clearly that they planted this device, rather than having it on them, which wouldn't have been picked up.

Wonder how good the security is inside with cameras etc. Wonder if they can pick out someone planting it, then presumably leaving straight away. As surely not many leave before its started once theyre in.
They do it for luggages at the airport.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Is there any reason to play this game? It does not matter if we finish 5th or 6th, does not effect the Europa League positions does it? Why play this game midweek and affect our preparations and performance in the FA cup?
It effects what round each team enters the Europa, the league prize money, the tv money since it was a televised game. They also have to allow for the incredibly unlikely result of us putting 20 past Bornemouth and pipping City to CL football.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Will dictate the position Bournemouth finish? I'd imagine there are commercial considerations involved in the league's biggest team playing one less game. Also, there's the principle involved. The game *should* be played if at all possible.

El Zoido

It's hard to say either way until we know more about what happened. This could have been some lad playing a prank on his mates that got way out of hand, they do a controlled explosion as a matter of procedure, so until we know with 100% certainty that someone has attempted to commit an act of terror then it's best not to make any sweeping generalisations about the implications of it. The response from the club, police and security services has been stellar, you can never take any risks but it could have been absolutely nothing.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What exactly is a controlled explosion? Does that mean there was a bomb? or can it be carried out on anything?

We need an rvn

I'm happy that the security services dealt with this in such a professional manner. Kudos to the crowd too for their orderly and calm evacuation.
spot on buddy. better safe than sorry and glad the fans / players etc are safe and no one got hurt. Sadly, it's the world we live in currently. My boss is a heavy metal concert obsessed fella and since Paris the first thing he does with every concert from now on is know the fire exits and stands by them for the concert - pretty sad it's come to all this though.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Just got home... Crazy afternoon. Feel for the Bournemouth fans and those that came from afar, 4 hours for me is nothing in comparison! Right call to call it off of course... Can't take chances with this sort of stuff.

Feck knows why Daniel Taylor is saying the club only told supporters at 3:20... We were told at about 3 it was abandoned.
Must have been a rather special and not pleasant experience.
Seem to have been handeled very well.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
My thoughts exactly. Since the events of Paris, this was a huge fear and something has actually happened here now...it's very real.

Now luckily, no one innocent has suffered today but the worry of this happening again is massive.

I was very angry when I was searched so thoroughly when I attended the Europa League game against Liverpool, but you know what, search everyone like that. They quizzed me because I had an overcoat over a suit (went straight from work), and I became slightly confrontational because I was running late as it was, and it was freezing cold that night. But in hindsight, this has to be the norm.
Maybe if they dealt with the terrorist issue better, these situations could be avoided? I would rather people look at the issue properly rather then accept it. We can still be conscious of security but personally I think it's wiser to look at why these things happen ...to eradicate it. This mentality is not good. Being security conscious IS good but ultimately it's wiser to remove the weeds. Deal with the scum and properly recognize the causal factors and deal with them; rather then say allowing terrorism be some kind of tool to feck with public opinion....

Last edited:

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Could they have blocked phone signals or something? Sometimes they do that to stop the bomb from being detonated.
3G and WiFi were blocked inside the stadium.
To quote Call of Duty, "EMP online" I guess? Phone signals was probably completely shut down.
There were reports of wifi and 3G being turned off in the stadium. They probably shut down the cell towers to prevent a detonation signal going through as soon as they got suspicious
I see. Thanks.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For everyone's sake hopefully this was just a vibrator that had been left switched on.
On a serious note, it could be a security test by potential terrorists.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You can never get signal at OT on a matchday. I was ringing people around ten past though outside so pretty sure there was no blocking of 3G.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can we replay at an alternative venue? Like the Etihad? If OT won't get cleared?
That'd cause even more issues. A much smaller stadium, a rival stadium at that, wouldn't go down well!
How would you sort ticketing out etc.
Awkward all round.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
There were reports of wifi and 3G being turned off in the stadium. They probably shut down the cell towers to prevent a detonation signal going through as soon as they got suspicious
Not sure about that. After I heard about the evacuation I texted my dad who was waiting for me in the car park and I was right outside the ground.

Smores

On a serious note, it could be a security test by potential terrorists.
It's much more likely to be a hoax or someone with a screw loose.

I wish people in general wouldn't try and dramatise these things as if it's an entertaining episode of 24.

JackXX

Great job by security, stewards, police and everyone working at Old Trafford. Also very proud of our fans. Could have been a disaster and it was dealt with very calmly.

Hopefully they just get the game over and done with ASAP. Play the youngsters and plan for the FA Cup.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's not just about us you know!

We're currently behind Southampton, and Bournemouth can improve their positions too.

So it's not quite as meaningless as people are suggesting.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
What exactly is a controlled explosion? Does that mean there was a bomb? or can it be carried out on anything?
One system used every day in Seychelles when digging trenches is to cover the object or rock with a mesh of old car tyres which will dampen the blast but allow escape of the gases. The explosion is thus under the control of the operators and similar equipment is used in the UK but is more sophisticated in its design.

Speaks for itself. If an explosion can be controlled, then the area can be evacuated and property protected. Objects which may cause more damage if sent flying by an explosion, such an cars, can be moved and it's even possible to protect windows with sandbags. A bomb is only detonated this way if it can't be defused safely as last resort. Bomb disposal workers are skilled and very brave people and I trust their judgement. Give me a controlled explosion any day, Matey.

Most controlled explosions don't detonate the bomb they blow it appart with a small charge so as to not set off the big one!

A bomb works by having a detonator,a small device which explodes relatively easily, explode in contact with the main explosive charge (which itself is much harder to get to explode). In a "controlled explosion" the object is to disrupt the structure of the bomb so that, for example, the detonator is separated from the main explosive charge, or the fuse (which ignites the detonator) may be separated. This can even be done with powerful blasts of compressed air in some cases. The principle is to input enough energy to disrupt the device but not enough to set off the main charge. You have to know your bomb!

The most common method of controlled explosion, used on the UK Army's 'Wheelbarrow' - a remote-controlled robot - is a shotgun shell, filled with water rather than the more ususal lead shot. As previous respondents have stated, the idea is to break the components of the bomb (timer, trigger, explosive) apart faster than the detonator can trigger the explosive material.
http://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-8191,00.html

A controlled explosion is a method for detonating or disabling a suspected explosive device.

Methods which are used to set off a controlled explosion include clearing the area and using a bomb disposal robot to attach a shaped charge to the suspected bomb to sever the explosive from its detonator.

Another classic method of controlled explosion is to place the suspected bomb in a skip and fill it with sand before detonating it with a self-incendiary device or a fuse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_explosion