Our attack is a mess | Joint 10th with Bournemouth for goals scored

askabob

Oh the can you read line, really classy that. Again why not? The only reason you've managed to give me so far is his age. I'd call myself a pretty average manager if I couldn't differentiate between a young player who is mentally, physically and technically prepared to be a starter and one that isn't.
I was frustrated by the tone of your earlier post. My apologies.

Of course I'm only stating his age as my argument-- that's the whole point though. Other than these few games where he's been excellent, there is very little to suggest that he is ready to be a starter for a club of our size (though this point is changing rapidly). His current performances don't change the fact that we went into the season with only Rooney (!) as a proven striker. Hindsight is 20/20 etc...

Last edited:

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
My thoughts are:

- We lack quality and depth in attack

- Rooney will likely continue his steep decline. I personally think he is done.

- Memphis hasn't done well so far but hopefully he will develop.

- Martial looks very exciting. He should continue starting every game. We need him to develop to a star.

Manny

Grammar Police
I thought we went too direct too early in that first half and it cost us that goal.

Should have got our foot on the ball to set the tone and work from there.

mav_9me

Our attack is in deep trouble given how reliant we have become on Martial to do anything. With Rooney as shit as ever, Memphis completely off boil and Mata dependent on others to be of use, we are in deep deep shit. To make matters worse we are using our wingers depth to provide fullback depth. Essentially the only 2 options to change it are Perreira and Wilson and maybe play herrera as no.10.

Sam

So many called it at the start of the season, but we simply don't have enough firepower in the attack to mount a proper challenge. It was clear as day before the season started, and what we've seen so far just reinforces that.

- We're 7th in the table for goals scored
- Leicester, West Ham, Spurs and Southampton have all scored more goals then us

Its so frustrating because the defence (joint top best defensive record) and midfield are looking really good. Its just our attack thats seriously letting us down. City had Silva and Aguaro out today, and man for man, still had a stronger attack then us.

We HAVE to invest in some serious quality attacking players this Summer (preferably January) if we're to make serious attack for silverware anytime soon.

FWIW - We looked considerably more threatening with Martial upfront, but that lasted all of what, 3 games?

Last edited:

kps88

Memphis and lately Mata going out of form is a big worry. Martial's been excellent, even more so considering the lethargy around him, but he can't do it all on his own.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's fecking dire, no matter how you look at it. Made worse with two being shite, one being ordinary to good and the other an unexpected Ray of sunshine.
It's like we are in a boxing match with one hand tied behind our backs.
We need reinforcements in January p, no question.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Memphis and lately Mata going out of form is a big worry. Martial's been excellent, even more so considering the lethargy around him, but he can't do it all on his own.
The worrying thing is that he'll be contaminated soon if things don't improve around him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So many called it at the start of the season, but we simply don't have enough firepower in the attack to mount a proper challenge. It was clear as day before the season started, and what we've seen so far just reinforces that.

Its so frustrating because the defence (joint top best defensive record) and midfield are looking really good. Its just our attack thats seriously letting us down. City had Silva and Aguaro out today, and man for man, still had a stronger attack then us.

We HAVE to invest in some serious quality attacking players this Summer (preferably January) if we're to make serious attack for silverware anytime soon.

FWIW - We looked considerably more threatening with Martial upfront, but that lasted all of what, 3 games?
I don't think city looked more threatening at all, on paper or on the pitch. Herrera > toure, Martial > de Bruyne (but you could say usually equal for now), mata > Sterling... Both rooney and bony are shite. With silva and Aguero in there of course it's different, but on paper we were certainly the better side today. They just defended really well.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
We need to put our faith in Martial and play him up top. The boy has done better than we all expected, and we repay him by shifting him out wide to accommodate Wayne. Play him up top and until Rooney earns his spot back. I agree we're short in the attacking department, but this would be a good start.

Kakeru

We need to put our faith in Martial and play him up top. The boy has done better than we all expected, and we repay him by shifting him out wide to accommodate Wayne. Play him up top and until Rooney earns his spot back. I agree we're short in the attacking department, but this would be a good start.
Agreed. If the manager wants to be fair with everyone, Martial has to be given the keys of our attack at the moment because he earned it so far. Until Rooney pulls his finger out or until we find someone else to add some attacking punch up front, that's how it should be.

itso 7

We are effectively building a new team from scratch, after shipping a lot o players, so we shouldn't expect the job to be complete in just twelve months. We now have the makings of a top defense, our midfield is arguably the best in the league and we are blooding a couple of youngsters in attack but with the burden of our experienced attackers being either injured or seriously out of form. I am happy with where we are so far and we are one inspired signing away from having a truly great team. So far so good.

Sam

I don't think city looked more threatening at all, on paper or on the pitch. Herrera > toure, Martial > de Bruyne (but you could say usually equal for now), mata > Sterling... Both rooney and bony are shite. With silva and Aguero in there of course it's different, but on paper we were certainly the better side today. They just defended really well.
Bony > Rooney
De Bruyne > Mata
Toure > Herrera
Martial > Sterling

We are effectively building a new team from scratch, after shipping a lot o players, so we shouldn't expect the job to be complete in just twelve months. We now have the makings of a top defense, our midfield is arguably the best in the league and we are blooding a couple of youngsters in attack but with the burden of our experienced attackers being either injured or seriously out of form. I am happy with where we are so far and we are one inspired signing away from having a truly great team. So far so good.
We've handicapped ourselves and left ourselves very short upfront though. Process or no process there was no reason for that to happen. We had the whole of the Summer to sort out our attack, and only brought in one player.

Kag

Bony > Rooney
De Bruyne > Mata
Toure > Herrera
Martial > Sterling

We've handicapped ourselves and left ourselves very short upfront though. Process or no process there was no reason for that to happen. We had the whole of the Summer to sort out our attack, and only brought in one player.
Come on, there's more to football matches than <player x > player y>.

Rooney and Bony are clearly lacking but the other six are all very good players and there's not a lot between the lot of them. Our lads would do very well at City and vice versa.

What's clear is that City attackers have that bit more freedom than our forwards, and generally carry a greater threat going forward as a result. I don't think there is great deal of difference in the personnel, however.

We do need better attackers on the whole, though. Martial, Memphis and Mata is a good bedrock from which to start, a couple more players of that ilk (or better) would be welcomed.

Sam

Come on, there's more to football matches than <player x > player y>.

Rooney and Bony are clearly lacking but the other six are all very good players and there's not a lot between the lot of them. Our lads would do very well at City and vice versa.

What's clear is that City attackers have that bit more freedom than our forwards, and generally carry a greater threat going forward as a result. I don't think there is great deal of difference in the personnel, however.

We do need better attackers on the whole, though. Martial, Memphis and Mata is a good bedrock from which to start, a couple more players of that ilk (or better) would be welcomed.
The point is, that City attack was missing its best two players and was still, at worst, on par with our first choice attack. Thats worrying, and simply not good enough.

Their first choice attack is miles better then ours, absolutely miles. And the league table shows that.

Kag

The point is, that City attack was missing its best two players and was still, at worst, on par with our first choice attack.

Thats worrying, and simply not good enough.
Isn't that to be expected right now? They've finished first and second over the past two seasons while we have finished seventh and fourth. They've also just spent £150 million on two quality attackers.

We're playing catch up and it's going to take a couple more sensible transfer windows to get there.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I am not having we don't sign players in January. We need attackers badly. We are handicapped in this title race. Mane and Anderson please.

Sam

Isn't that to be expected right now? They've finished first and second over the past two seasons while we have finished seventh and fourth. They've also just spent £150 million on two quality attackers.

We're playing catch up and it's going to take a couple more sensible transfer windows to get there.
We should have done more this transfer window. It was clear to see how short we are upfront.

City buying Sterling and De Bruyne just further increased their superiority in that department. We should have been doing the same.

Lewis.no.9

What the heck are we going to do if we continue playing Rooney at all costs and lose Martial to a long term injury?..........

Kag

We should have done more this transfer window. It was clear to see how short we are upfront.

City buying Sterling and De Bruyne just further increased their superiority in that department. We should have been doing the same.
I think it's clear that we tried. There are players out there we'd probably want here but the transfer window isn't easy. I think Memphis and Martial is a good start.

itso 7

Bony > Rooney
De Bruyne > Mata
Toure > Herrera
Martial > Sterling

The reason was very clear: we couldn't carry Van Persie, Falcao, Nani, Rooney and Mata then still have the space to spend on the players we needed. We are possibly one winger and a back up striker short, I agree with that but given the numbers we had already added it was bordering on too much player turnover, which isn't a good thing in itself because we can't always have six players settling at the start of each season.
This season we will have to make do with utilizing what we have and the talent coming through from the youth set up then in the summer, hopefully, when questions surrounding big underperforming players have been settled we can splash huge money on seriously talented and effective game changer. The Wilsons, Januzajs and the Lingards should occupy squad roles, sinking or swimming along the way, as there is no point in clogging up the squad with expensive and overpaid squad players that will cost money to ship out.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
i agree :( We could be in danger of burning Martial out by using him too much.

God I want Griezmann so bad.
England are playing France I think sometime in a friendly. I will be intrigued to watch the contrast in Rooney for England and Martial for France.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
RVP and Hernandez may not be good enough to start for United anymore but either one of them would have been a fantastic option from the bench.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
RVP and Hernandez may not be good enough to start for United anymore but either one of them would have been a fantastic option from the bench.
Personally, I don't think so. I think they both have very little to offer and the positive impact they might be able to offer is heavily negated by their attitudes to being faced with being on the bench for most games.

bosnian_red

We need that 1 top class attacker and we're sorted! Someone like Griezmann would be great.
Agreed. Griezmann and a couple of years for the youngsters to develop more and fulfill their potential and we'll be back up there with the best in Europe IMO.
De gea/???
Darmian Smalling Jones Shaw
Schneiderlin Herrera
Mata Griezmann Memphis
Martial
Januzaj, Wilson, Pereira all with bags of potential on the bench as well. Still think De Gea will end up leaving, but that side, with memphis, Martial, and Shaw a few years older will surely have them among the top players in their positions. Same with Smalling in defence and Griezmann behind Martial. Don't think our attack is a mess at all, it's just more potential then current ability, with Rooney being more past it at this point. 1 player can make a massive difference as we see whenever Martial plays up top ahead of Rooney. One more player like Martial and we'll be sorted really.

Sam

Agreed. Griezmann and a couple of years for the youngsters to develop more and fulfill their potential and we'll be back up there with the best in Europe IMO.
De gea/???
Schneiderlin Herrera
Mata Griezmann Memphis
Martial
Januzaj, Wilson, Pereira all with bags of potential on the bench as well. Still think De Gea will end up leaving, but that side, with memphis, Martial, and Shaw a few years older will surely have them among the top players in their positions. Same with Smalling in defence and Griezmann behind Martial. Don't think our attack is a mess at all, it's just more potential then current ability, with Rooney being more past it at this point. 1 player can make a massive difference as we see whenever Martial plays up top ahead of Rooney. One more player like Martial and we'll be sorted really.
I think we need three (on the assumption that Rooney is out of the equation)

- 1 World class attacker (preferably a winger)
- A #10 to compete with Herrera
- 1 backup/rotation striker for Martial

bosnian_red

I think we need three (on the assumption that Rooney is out of the equation)

- 1 World class attacker (preferably a winger)
- A #10 to compete with Herrera
- 1 backup/rotation striker for Martial
Think Rooney is fine as back up striker for martial, he'll improve once he isn't starting every game again. And Griezmann can be that world class #10 to play behind Martial, and with the movement of Martial, Griezmann and Memphis on the left (who I am assuming develops as we expect and becomes a very good player), then Mata will also be at his best which is on the verge of world class. So we don't need 3 really. Maybe in terms of cover, but just 1 player like Griezmann in our front 4 and it'll all be sorted (after they bed in together and the likes of Memphis and martial get time to develop more).

Moriarty

De gea/???
Schneiderlin Herrera
Mata Griezmann Memphis
Martial
Maybe not...
http://www.theguardian.com/football...r-navas-real-madrid-manchester-united-la-liga

Tyrion

I actually pretty much agree with this. If we play Martial at 9, keep Herrera at 10, get Shaw fit and Memphis back into form, we actually have a threatening attack. The issue is we completely lack depth which isn't too surprising as we sold 2 strikers in the summer, along with 2 the previous year, and the other (Rooney) has been replaced by his talentless twin. We also sold a winger and another winger is now our right back (Antonio He's won a corner Valencia). Martial is fecking amazing and Herrera should be a starter in every big game. We actually have some good players up front but we lack the depth to win the title imo.