Our POTY 2019/20

United's POTY this season?

• Total voters

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Impossible to call really. Bruno, Rashford or Martial all in with a shout at different stages. Fred a notable mention but behind those.

On one hand I'd say Bruno for having such a massive effect on us. On the other Martial has been here all season, but then Rashford was perhaps more key before his injury.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's Bruno. Without him our season is dead in the water. Whilst Rashford was injured his presence made our team a lot better than it was with Rashford in it.

Slik

I personally think it’s between Martial, Rashford and Bruno at this moment. One of them can shade it by coming up big for at this business end of the season. With a winning goal Or performance for a trophy or top 4 qualification.

He'sRaldo

Either Martial, Maguire, or AWB.

Without Martial we were relegation level, and Maguire and AWB have performed at, at least"Fred" levels (a lot of the time higher) for the entire season week in week out without a lot of rest or rotation.

Our 3 most integral players for the season.

Rashford and Bruno's play has been the type where the end justify the means. Different from a Matic or Martial.

We’ve had a strange season, almost split into thirds really. I’d go with the following for each of those splits:

Aug - Nov: Rashford
Dec - Feb: Fred
Mar - Jul: Fernandes and Martial

Overall: Martial
I agree with this but Rashford would be my overall.

He'sRaldo

Yes. Fred was outstanding every game all season. With Bruno, it is a combination of many things IMO, but he only needs to breathe and everyone starts eulogising to me. I don’t think, purely as a footballer, passing, shooting/scoring, dribbling etc - he has been our best player by a long stretch. It’s mostly all these ‘lifted the team’ intangibles. I’m aware he has impressive numbers, but I don’t think he’s necessarily been an objectively outstanding footballer. Very hit and miss, but coupled with the upturn in our results and the wave of positivity, I think he’s perhaps been a little overpraised, and I expect that to slowly dissipate over time.

Even since he has been here, he hasn’t shown nearly the consistent actual quality that Martial has shown, for me. He’s a weird one to judge because he seems to have ‘impacted’ the team, and as the consensus goes ‘making others play better’. But those ‘others’ are better players I think. I think he’s a level below the likes of Martial and Rashford as players frankly, and Greenwood in terms of talent too.
The thing with Bruno is his arrival directly caused the benching of the trio of Lingard, Pereira, and Mata. He's the only one of our attackers who hasn't had to regularly suffer that trio, and as a result our team has improved. If he was brought to play alongside them, our improvement would not be that much.

So while I agree that he did change our season, it's equally because he was able to replace the trio with his mere presence. That and he commands every set piece and is effective with them, which helps with his pure numbers.

KennyBurner

Its Martial, Rashford then Fred for me in that order. I would love to include bruno but his impact doesnt compare to what those other 3 have had to deal with.

Fred has been vital to us in every big game. Our record against the top 6 has been good because of his energy and composure. Its easy to forget how his energy has carried us game after game with little rest.

Rashford has also carried us in many Big games. I would have given him player of the year if not for those games he was ineffective in due to the loss of martial. Still he has led the biggest Club in England at 22 years of age. It really could be him.

Martial wins it for me based on his big game performances and importance to the team. he can play in the middle or drift out to the left. he has also scored a lot of goals without taking any penalties in the league. Thats great when you factor in most of the players ahead of him on goals are all designated PK takers. He has silently dominated and led us in every big game. Even against arsenal which we lost he was the only redeeming quality. Its why Ive decided he should win it. Media bias will state otherwise.

Revan

Assumptionman
Between Martial, Bruno and Rashford IMO. Bruno did not play that much but was so important since he came. Martial had a great overall season. Rashford was our best player until his injury.

I would give it to Martial but there are still games to be played.

I don’t understand why Fred is getting mentioned. He never looked anything more than alright, and now that finally we have a proper squad, he is back in bench. When the likes of Fred and Shaw (last season) are in contention for player of the year (or win it), boy, you know that you have a massive problem.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's between Martial and Rashford with Bruno very close. It's amazing Bruno is in contention when he joined at Jan end. Shows how good he was.

Andersons Dietician

I think I’ll still go with Fred actually. He was a one man team at times this season.

I don’t know what it is but I feel like Rashfords performances this season have been somewhat overhyped. He’s had a great season but the way some people speak of it and media included you would think it’s Ronaldo esque.

Martial has been somewhat consistent and has played himself in to the conversation but there is Bissaka, Shaw and maybe Maguire to think about but yeah it’s still Fred.

Fred
Martial
Rashford

then special mention to Maguire, Bissaka, Shaw and I suppose Bruno.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
My first thought was rashford. Bruno has been amazing and a true catalyst too, I just thought of players with a Full season here without even considering him until I read a few posts

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Player of the season would either be Rashford or Martial.
Bruno would be my player of the year at 2020 though.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think I’ll still go with Fred actually. He was a one man team at times this season.

I don’t know what it is but I feel like Rashfords performances this season have been somewhat overhyped. He’s had a great season but the way some people speak of it and media included you would think it’s Ronaldo esque.

Martial has been somewhat consistent and has played himself in to the conversation but there is Bissaka, Shaw and maybe Maguire to think about but yeah it’s still Fred.

Fred
Martial
Rashford

then special mention to Maguire, Bissaka, Shaw and I suppose Bruno.
He was haven a similar season to Ronaldo 2006-2007 season. Probably not as good, but he was very impactful and our attack was essentially him alone (especially with Martial and Pogba our). Without his injury, he would have been in 30 goals (Ronaldo only once managed that). In fact even with injury it is quite possible that he will end with more goals than Ronaldo did in any season except 07-08. Sure, the football is more attacking now than before, but on the other hand for a few months he was playing with Fred, McTominay, Pereira, James and Mata/Lingard.

Rashy has been excellent this season. It is only cause after the injury he has been outshined by a few players that people might think that he was overrated. He wasn’t.

Andersons Dietician

He was haven a similar season to Ronaldo 2006-2007 season. Probably not as good, but he was very impactful and our attack was essentially him alone (especially with Martial and Pogba our). Without his injury, he would have been in 30 goals (Ronaldo only once managed that). In fact even with injury it is quite possible that he will end with more goals than Ronaldo did in any season except 07-08. Sure, the football is more attacking now than before, but on the other hand for a few months he was playing with Fred, McTominay, Pereira, James and Mata/Lingard.

Rashy has been excellent this season. It is only cause after the injury he has been outshined by a few players that people might think that he was overrated. He wasn’t.
I think it was more the poor games at the start of the season and how his goal tally is slightly padded that is kinda making me have doubts.
I just keep thinking about early on when he was the Rashford we saw from previous seasons that wouldn’t pass and would take stupid shots from everywhere instead of taking the better option. There were large parts of the season where he was infuriating and had many people annoyed due to his head down run approach with the blinkers on.
Personally I think he’s been a better player overall since the restart than he was earlier. I’m not saying he’s had a bad season as every player has had patches where they were poor this season. It’s just the media would have us believe he has been the singular driving force.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
A prestigious award like this must go to the man who has had the biggest impact on our style of play and our results. One man is head and shoulders above the rest in this regard. My vote goes to Antonio Conte.

Failing that I’d give it to Antony Martial because as good as Rashford was pre injury, AM9 has kept it going while Rashy was out before Bruno came in, and has really kicked on since the restart. Amazing really what difference the number on his back has made, oh and a manager who coaches and uses him properly!

jlecesne

Rashford for me.

Arguments can be made for Bruno and Martial.

I would also give honorable mention to Maguire. He's played every league game and only missed that home leg against City in the league cup. And we saw how that went...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rashford for me.

Arguments can be made for Bruno and Martial.

I would also give honorable mention to Maguire. He's played every league game and only missed that home leg against City in the league cup. And we saw how that went...
:lol: Come on now. He's been decent but does not deserve even a mention.

It's been between Fernandes, Martial and Rashford. Not sure who I'd pick tbh. Would wait till the season finishes. Don't think it's as clear cut in favour of Rashford as the thread suggests. Martial has been every bit as good as him. And Bruno has undoubtedly had the biggest impact of the three.

jlecesne

:lol: Come on now. He's been decent but does not deserve even a mention.

It's been between Fernandes, Martial and Rashford. Not sure who I'd pick tbh. Would wait till the season finishes. Don't think it's as clear cut in favour of Rashford as the thread suggests. Martial has been every bit as good as him. And Bruno has undoubtedly had the biggest impact of the three.
He is definitely behind the other 3. But I don't think his contribution should be underestimated. Its nothing sexy but he has been a model of consistency.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He is definitely behind the other 3. But I don't think his contribution should be underestimated. Its nothing sexy but he has been a model of consistency.
AWB has been a model of consistency. And less goof ups.

Adamsk7

It’s gotta be Rashford. Currently joint top goalscorer but he has more assists than Martial and from the left side as well. Also, I don’t think this is an award that I would give based solely on what a player does on the pitch, as representing Manchester United off the pitch is also important and for that, we have no finer example than Marcus.

Honourable mentions to Martial and Bruno. At various times in the season, Fred, Matic and Maguire have also been fantastic.

Zlatanator

Aaron Wan Bissaka for his consistency throughout the season. Everyone else had their ups and downs along the way but not him. He even started putting in good crosses recently, so there's some improvement there too.

el3mel

Tough choice between Rashford, Martial and Bruno but I think I'll go with Bruno at the end of the day. He single-handedly revived our season.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Have to say it's a very hard choice to make. Pre Bruno, Rashford was the obvious choice but since Bruno has come in Martial has taken his game to the next level but choosing the POTY comes down to what criteria people choose to make. Is it individual players playing well but struggling as a unit or picking someone who has transformed our team no matter how long he's been here?
I'd go for the latter. . Obviously Rashford and Martial are well worth a shout but without Bruno we'd be lucky to be fighting for an EL spot which is why I've picked him over the other 2. Footballing wise he's no where near the levels of Cantona but he could become just as important as a catalist in kick starting our fortunes in times ahead.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lots of calls for Rashford but interesting that he's not even in your top 10 highest rated players with an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 here...

https://www.redcafe.net/match-day/#season-stats

From an outsiders point of view, it's Bruno by a mile.
That's caf knee-jerk rating for you. When we drop points, our players gets ridiculous rating, especially in the first half of the season when e struggled to score.

Chairman Steve

Despite being here half of the season, you wouldn’t hear any complaints from me if Bruno got it. Even my friends who support and follow Spurs, Liverpool and Everton among other teams think that he’s been the biggest reason why Utd are where they are now. My Spurs mate is livid they didnt bin off Eriksen in the summer and get Bruno as a replacement.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Most consistent performer - AWB
Biggest Impact - Bruno
A mixture of both - Rashford

Any of those, with decent mentions to Martial, Maguire and Shaw.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Very competitive. I’d pick Martial: not only he played well, he had to adapt to a different and extremely demanding new role.

Last year he was an unfulfilled promise, an uncertain prospect on the overpopulated left side of the United attack. Right now, he is the best complete forward in England. I’m especially impressed with his mental development: aggression, determination, work rate and the way he uses his physique. Combining those with the qualities we were already aware of such as technique, speed and composure, Tony elevated his game to top level. for The first time since Fergie retired I feel like we have a reliable number 9. Great season.

Tarrou

It's so close I'd rather wait until the end of the season to decide

Right now it's between Rashford and Martial, for me

zenith

Tough between rashford and bruno with Maguire a distant third

RyRy11

Unless martial singlehandedly gets us to the FA cup final and top 4 it’s rashford for me. Such a nice change to have multiple players in contention