Our Rival's Squad next year - Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
You need to go and take a look at his stats on Whoscored or the like. They are very very good.
Yeah but Whoscored stats without adequate context don't really tell the full story do they ? eg. If a player has a positional lapse which doesn't necessarily lead to a goal or fluffs a golden crossing opportunity, do they have adequate stats to indicate that ? Not really. Valencia worked really hard in fairness, was about adequate as a right back, but that was about it. Which was to be expected given his more natural position as a winger.

Far removed from a defensively sound player who has been playing left/ right back or wing-back through the entirety of his senior career. Almost definitely an upgrade over last season, unless of course Darmian inexplicably can't handle the rhythm or physical nature of the league, or can't grasp Louis' ideology (not likely because he's reportedly a very cerebral footballer).

Rafateria

Yeah but Whoscored stats without adequate context don't really tell the full story do they ? eg. If a player has a positional lapse which doesn't necessarily lead to a goal or fluffs a golden crossing opportunity, do they have adequate stats to indicate that ? Not really. Valencia worked really hard in fairness, was about adequate as a right back, but that was about it. Which was to be expected given his more natural position as a winger.

Far removed from a defensively sound player who has been playing left/ right back or wing-back through the entirety of his senior career. Almost definitely an upgrade over last season, unless of course Darmian inexplicably can't handle the rhythm or physical nature of the league, or can't grasp Louis' ideology (not likely because he's reportedly a very cerebral footballer).
All true perhaps. Though all defenders make mistakes so any Valencia makes shouldn't be taken in isolation, or assumed that Darmian is going to be error-free. I will just say that having watched a lot of United's games last season (the majority) I have rarely thought of Valencia as a weak-link despite some fans obviously having it in for him.

Glanville95

All true perhaps. Though all defenders make mistakes so any Valencia makes shouldn't be taken in isolation, or assumed that Darmian is going to be error-free. I will just say that having watched a lot of United's games last season (the majority) I have rarely thought of Valencia as a weak-link despite some fans obviously having it in for him.
He will provide decent cover for Darmian nothing more nothing less. I'm not a season holder at the Stadio Olimpico like many on here, but from what I've seen, and heard, Darmian is a very competent defender both offensively and defensively, while also being versatile across the back four.

Valencia is a very good athlete and powerful, but beyond that doesn't have a great deal going for him. He's a very solid 1v1 defender, strong and quick, but like Invictus pointed, he's been culpable for a lot of lapses in concentration at the back with a fair few leading directly to goals. He's positionally very suspect aswell, something statistics can't really gauge, yet that is one of the most important aspects of defending. The amount of times he's been caught upfield with Smalling covering is staggering.

Going forward, not much needs to be said really. He's completely one-footed, dithers on the ball, isn't dynamic in the slightest and his concept of crossing is taking out the opposing players shins. I'm probably selling him a bit of a disservice, he's just far too limited to be counted on as our main right back. Covering every now and then for Darmian would be acceptable.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Fair enough. Valencia consistently churned out above par 6.5-7/ 10 performances for the most part last season. But some of his defensive flaws were magnified on the bigger occasions, which can be troublesome if we are to challenge for league or European honors in the future. In Darmian we potentially have a difference maker at the position, someone who according to a lot of Serie A regulars was as good as, or maybe a tad better than Lichtsteiner (unanimously considered the best right-back in Serie A in recent seasons). He can really help elevate the performances of not just the defense because of his awareness at the back, but the right winger as well given his ability to intelligently link-up further up the pitch. Potential is the keyword of course, I personally believe he can be as good as Azpilicueta or Carvajal, both among the best fullbacks around, which is why he was also chased by Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Maybe he takes some time to adjust, and initially Valencia remains the first choice right-back, who knows. But if all goes to plan, then the right-back position could be sorted for 5+ seasons with a player who has the talent to be one of the best right-backs in the league, and maybe even Europe.

Revan

Assumptionman
So, Chelsea won the league last year but I don't see them being much better next season. Tough to improve that first 11. Might think that's no bad thing but the problem is, they weren't that much better than the rest last year I didn't think, in general, in terms of performances. The problem with that is if they can't improve and weren't 'that' good, when others do improve, they'll get caught.
It isn't exactly tough to improve that first eleven. They got found in Europe from a quite unspectacular PSG.

They need at least a CB, an upgrade in Oscar and an upgrade in William in order to reach Bayern/Madrid level (it is simply impossible to reach Barca's levels before they start the next decline). I actually rate Cahill, Oscar and William, but they aren't as good as counterparts in those teams.

Also, there is no guarantee that Terry will be as good as he was next season. Age might be a problem. Ivanovic might start declining soon.

I still think that they are favorites for the title, but a lot depends on the transfer market. THey are far below top European teams though.

dogwithabone

Chelsea are basically a rod of steel through the centre and then there's Edin Hazard. Courtois, Terry, Matic, Costa is a great spine and if you have a pragmatic manager - as they do - then you are always going to be there or thereabouts.

If we can match that strength through the middle with Schweinstiger and Ramos or Otamendi and properly replace DDG then I think we will be better around the edges than Chelsea. Shaw and Darmian will be as explosive a pairing of full backs as anything in the PL and the likes of Mata, Herrera, Blind and perhaps Schnieiderlin in the middle as well as Depay, Di Maria out wide will comfortably equal anything Chelsea can offer and that's without even mentioning the likes of Carrick, Young, Valencia, Fellaini.....

Add the necessary muscle and we will, I believe, be in pole position for the title.

AKDevil

It isn't exactly tough to improve that first eleven. They got found in Europe from a quite unspectacular PSG.

They need at least a CB, an upgrade in Oscar and an upgrade in William in order to reach Bayern/Madrid level (it is simply impossible to reach Barca's levels before they start the next decline). I actually rate Cahill, Oscar and William, but they aren't as good as counterparts in those teams.

Also, there is no guarantee that Terry will be as good as he was next season. Age might be a problem. Ivanovic might start declining soon.

I still think that they are favorites for the title, but a lot depends on the transfer market. THey are far below top European teams though.
Obviously, unrealistically it is possible to improve it (they could go out and spend £500m and get big names) but realistically, if you look at type of players Mourinho would go for, it's not.
Mourinho loves Willian because he has ability going forward and puts in a shift going back.
Not many right sided players about that would do that better for Mourinho.
Do think they could push Fab forward and buy a new central midfielder.
Ivanovic best right back in the league last year - find me a better one they could buy?
Cahill I give you that, but their defence was the best and he and Terry got a great partnership.

Terry is another reason I think they will be vulnerable. At his age to have another injury free season they will be lucky. In short, no matter who they buy, they will be in all sorts of trouble when he is finished.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
They could easily improve. Just because Mourinho likes certain players doesn't mean there isn't a whole range of better players out there.

AKDevil

They could easily improve. Just because Mourinho likes certain players doesn't mean there isn't a whole range of better players out there.
Who then? Realistically. Where do they need upgrades and can they realistically target to improve.

Courtois, Ivanovic, Terry, Azpi, Hazard, Fabregas, Matic, Costa all best or very close to best in the league in their position.
Leaves Cahill, Willian, Oscar.
Can't see them getting an upgrade on Cahill (we know all the centre backs that are out there because we want them). Explained Willian - proper Mourinho player. Oscar - definitely upgradeable.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Who then? Realistically. Where do they need upgrades and can they realistically target to improve.

Courtois, Ivanovic, Terry, Azpi, Hazard, Fabregas, Matic, Costa all best or very close to best in the league in their position.
Can't see them getting an upgrade on Cahill (we know all the centre backs that are out there because we want them). Explained Willian - proper Mourinho player. Oscar - definitely upgradeable.
You already named 3 players they could upgrade on. Being a "proper Mourinho player" doesn't mean that Willian couldn't be easily improved.

Terry too. As good as he was last season the fact he can't play in a high line defence holds Chelsea back, if they want to play a more pro-active game they're going to have to phase him out.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD

They could shift Azpilicueta to his natural position, and get a good left-back (e.g. Coentrao) or a young left-back (e.g. Rodriguez) to compete with Filipe Luis. They could bring in Otamendi and chance their arm at Ramos. They could shift Fabregas up to the furthest of the midfield three and pick up a deep midfielder. They could tempt Pedro out of Barcelona to provide better wide cover than Cuadrado.

AKDevil

You already named 3 players they could upgrade on. Being a "proper Mourinho player" doesn't mean that Willian couldn't be easily improved.

Terry too. As good as he was last season the fact he can't play in a high line defence holds Chelsea back, if they want to play a more pro-active game they're going to have to phase him out.
And I also explained why I don't think they will be upgraded and expect them to have 10 of their regular starting 11 from last season starting next season.

You think they can upgrade the best defender in the league? Whoever they pick to replace him will be a step down.

And that is my overall point, which rather than be praise of Chelsea is actually why I think they might struggle. Because it will be hard for them to have a better team than last year.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
And I also explained why I don't think they will be upgraded and expect them to have 10 of their regular starting 11 from last season starting next season.

You think they can upgrade the best defender in the league? Whoever they pick to replace him will be a step down.

And that is my overall point, which rather than be praise of Chelsea is actually why I think they might struggle. Because it will be hard for them to have a better team than last year.
Whoever they pick to replace Terry won't be a step down if they're planning on moving to a more adventurous style which Terry couldn't fit into anyway. He was good last season but you have to remember he had a lot of protection both in terms of the discipline of the midfield in front of him and how deep Chelsea defend. If they want to play pro-active football he's unsuitable.

They don't need to improve their line-up to compete for the league, it's not a great time for English football. If they want to seriously challenge in Europe consistently though, they'll need to improve on the 3/4 players I listed.

Rafateria

Chelsea are basically a rod of steel through the centre and then there's Edin Hazard. Courtois, Terry, Matic, Costa is a great spine and if you have a pragmatic manager - as they do - then you are always going to be there or thereabouts.

If we can match that strength through the middle with Schweinstiger and Ramos or Otamendi and properly replace DDG then I think we will be better around the edges than Chelsea. Shaw and Darmian will be as explosive a pairing of full backs as anything in the PL and the likes of Mata, Herrera, Blind and perhaps Schnieiderlin in the middle as well as Depay, Di Maria out wide will comfortably equal anything Chelsea can offer and that's without even mentioning the likes of Carrick, Young, Valencia, Fellaini.....

Add the necessary muscle and we will, I believe, be in pole position for the title.
Oh for Goodness sake .. talk about prejudice and a blinkered view *rolls eyes*

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Players who I think should have a better season (or more of an impact):

Oscar (first time he's had a summer off in about 36 years).
Luis (more settled, used to the league)
Costa (summer off, hopefully his dodgy hamstrings are healed)
Zouma (more settled, part of the first team squad from day 1)
Cuadrado (can't be a shit as he looked, can he?)

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
A player like Griezmann has the capability to catapult Chelsea to the absolute top level. Besides that, I am surprised that Chelsea aren't in for Schneiderlin, as with him as box to box along side Matic, with Cesc in front of the two, will be better than any combination that Chelsea can put together at the moment for bigger games. Schneiderlin is a much better player than both Ramires and Mikel.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
A player like Griezmann has the capability to catapult Chelsea to the absolute top level. Besides that, I am surprised that Chelsea aren't in for Schneiderlin, as with him as box to box along side Matic, with Cesc in front of the two, will be better than any combination that Chelsea can put together at the moment for bigger games. Schneiderlin is a much better player than both Ramires and Mikel.
You're extremely overrating him there, I mean he had a pretty amazing season goalscoring wise but really he isn't the type of player who will lift like Chelsea to another level.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
You're extremely overrating him there, I mean he had a pretty amazing season goalscoring wise but really he isn't the type of player who will lift like Chelsea to another level.
I think another threat and goal scorer from the wide areas can make Chelsea a much more dangerous team. As good a work horse Willian is, he isn't a very productive player.

kouroux

I think another threat and goal scorer from the wide areas can make Chelsea a much more dangerous team. As good a work horse Willian is, he isn't a very productive player.
In theory yes but I can't see going Mourinho going for two flashy players like Hazard and Griezmann at the same time. He likes balance and very hardworking player and Willian is a perfect player for him.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
I think simply switching to a 4-3-3 and bringing in the correct, top class CM would elevate us a level. A midfield packed with 3 absolutely top class players would dominate most sides in the league and I believe that formation would be much more solid in Europe as well.

This is why I had hoped we'd be in for the likes of Schneiderlin or Vidal. Rather than playing with a traditional #10 we'd play like we did in José's first spell here. Two powerful midfielders (Matic & new CM) and Fabregas in the Lampard role.

Just doesn't appear that José feels the same way and is only looking for continuity and stability. A few good squad players to "make the current XI uncomfortable" and push them a bit. Think it's the wrong approach personally.

You see what Bayern, Barca, and Real Madrid do in the market after they win things. That's the way to do it. Barca win the treble and they've brought in Arda Turan and most likely Pogba, ffs.

It's early yet, but we won the league and have strengthened a direct rival and signed fecking Falcao so far. And have only been strongly linked with squad caliber players.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
In theory yes but I can't see going Mourinho going for two flashy players like Hazard and Griezmann at the same time. He likes balance and very hardworking player and Willian is a perfect player for him.
You are probably right. But may be if he has two defensive minded midfielders then he can allow the four of Fab, Griezmann, Hazard and Costa a little more freedom. He allowed Ronaldo and Di Maria to operate on either flanks with Ozil @10 when he was at Real.

Glanville95

I think simply switching to a 4-3-3 and bringing in the correct, top class CM would elevate us a level. A midfield packed with 3 absolutely top class players would dominate most sides in the league and I believe that formation would be much more solid in Europe as well.

This is why I had hoped we'd be in for the likes of Schneiderlin or Vidal. Rather than playing with a traditional #10 we'd play like we did in José's first spell here. Two powerful midfielders (Matic & new CM) and Fabregas in the Lampard role.

Just doesn't appear that José feels the same way and is only looking for continuity and stability. A few good squad players to "make the current XI uncomfortable" and push them a bit. Think it's the wrong approach personally.

You see what Bayern, Barca, and Real Madrid do in the market after they win things. That's the way to do it. Barca win the treble and they've brought in Arda Turan and most likely Pogba, ffs.

It's early yet, but we won the league and have strengthened a direct rival and signed fecking Falcao so far. And have only been strongly linked with squad caliber players.
Just imagine a three-man midfield of Matic, Fabregas and (insert quality B2B) battling against Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and Herrera. Can't imagine there would be many better midfield battles in recent PL history than that.

kouroux

You are probably right. But may be if he has two defensive minded midfielders then he can allow the four of Fab, Griezmann, Hazard and Costa a little more freedom. He allowed Ronaldo and Di Maria to operate on either flanks with Ozil @10 when he was at Real.
By still having Di Maria work extremely hard in tracking back. I have no doubt that even the laziest attacking player can be taught to track back and help his team defending (Hazard has improved a lot on that pre and post Mourinho) so I'll never agree with the Mourinho way of playing football.

AKDevil

Whoever they pick to replace Terry won't be a step down if they're planning on moving to a more adventurous style which Terry couldn't fit into anyway. He was good last season but you have to remember he had a lot of protection both in terms of the discipline of the midfield in front of him and how deep Chelsea defend. If they want to play pro-active football he's unsuitable.

They don't need to improve their line-up to compete for the league, it's not a great time for English football. If they want to seriously challenge in Europe consistently though, they'll need to improve on the 3/4 players I listed.
Terry is one of the best defenders the Premier League has ever seen. Look around European football (I don't watch football beyond that so can't comment). Even now, few, if any, better and more important to their teams. Factor in his influence on that team. That's why there will be no upgrade on Terry. The two they are looking at, Stones and Varane...some way off.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Terry is one of the best defenders the Premier League has ever seen. Look around European football (I don't watch football beyond that so can't comment). Even now, few, if any, better and more important to their teams. Factor in his influence on that team. That's why there will be no upgrade on Terry. The two they are looking at, Stones and Varane...some way off.
Varane is better than Terry. You're mixing up career and actual present day level of each player. How do you think Terry would look in a team that doesn't defend as deep as Chelsea do? Utter shite, and that's the style of defending they need to move towards if they want to become more dominant.

Terry is great for the current Chelsea set up but it's too restrictive. He needs to be phased out.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

We're supposedly in for Aranguiz. I don't know much about him, but isn't he supposed to be a bit Vidal-like?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
We're supposedly in for Aranguiz. I don't know much about him, but isn't he supposed to be a bit Vidal-like?
Hadn't even heard of him until we were linked with him.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Varane is better than Terry. You're mixing up career and actual present day level of each player. How do you think Terry would look in a team that doesn't defend as deep as Chelsea do? Utter shite, and that's the style of defending they need to move towards if they want to become more dominant.

Terry is great for the current Chelsea set up but it's too restrictive. He needs to be phased out.
You talk as if a defence with JT in spends 90 minutes sitting on the edge of their own 18 yard box, which is ridiculous. What needs remembering is that JT has never been blessed with a lot of pace, but he has exquisite positional sense. Playing a constant high line isn't going to work with him, but that doesn't mean the defence is constantly deep, which anyone watching us for the first half of last season would have seen.

He's 34. Over the next season or two everyone is quite aware we'll need to bring through a replacement. What's far, far harder to replace however is his leadership and the effect he has on the back 4 as a unit. Forget Cech, Cole and Lampard, Terry is the single long time player in the team who is hardest for us to replace. What he brings to us as a team is practically irreplacable. You should already know that as a Liverpool fan who has just had to deal with Gerrard leaving.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
You talk as if a defence with JT in spends 90 minutes sitting on the edge of their own 18 yard box, which is ridiculous. What needs remembering is that JT has never been blessed with a lot of pace, but he has exquisite positional sense. Playing a constant high line isn't going to work with him, but that doesn't mean the defence is constantly deep, which anyone watching us for the first half of last season would have seen.

He's 34. Over the next season or two everyone is quite aware we'll need to bring through a replacement. What's far, far harder to replace however is his leadership and the effect he has on the back 4 as a unit. Forget Cech, Cole and Lampard, Terry is the single long time player in the team who is hardest for us to replace. What he brings to us as a team is practically irreplacable. You should already know that as a Liverpool fan who has just had to deal with Gerrard leaving.
I don't disagree with any of that. I'm not talking Terry down, but you can't deny that if you want to play a more proactive style of football you need to move the defence up the pitch. Terry isn't going to be suited to that.

R.e. leadership, true that it's important, but at a certain stage it's not enough. Gerrard was holding us back at times - Terry isn't at that stage yet but he will get there soon enough.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
R.e. leadership, true that it's important, but at a certain stage it's not enough. Gerrard was holding us back at times - Terry isn't at that stage yet but he will get there soon enough.
It's less of an issue than it was with Gerrard purely because of the positions they play, but still important sure. One difference though is that Terry isn't just an influential leader for the whole team, he's directly in charge of the moment by moment positioning of the back 4. Having someone there who can command the line and react to exactly what is happening in any given moment is priceless to us, and a huge part of why we've been so defensively good for so long. That's why most Chelsea fans are praying for Varane to come in and spend a couple of seasons playing under Terry's tutulage, not because he's not already an amazing player, but because we desperately hope that that influence will rub off on him. You can already see it happening with Zouma which is awesome.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Just imagine a three-man midfield of Matic, Fabregas and (insert quality B2B) battling against Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and Herrera. Can't imagine there would be many better midfield battles in recent PL history than that.
11/12 had Rosicky/Wilshere/Ramsey, Arteta, Song vs Modric, Parker, van der Vaart vs Toure, Barry, Silva/Nasri
12/13 Wilshere, Cazorla, Arteta vs Toure, Barry, Silva
13/14 Ramsey, Arteta, Cazorla/Ozil vs Toure, Fernandinho, Nasri/Silva

If Ramsey and Wilshere get fit and firing next season while Arsenal and Liverpool both add good defensive midfielders it will be an exciting time for the league in general as far as midfielders go.

Status
Not open for further replies.