Our Rival's Squad next year - Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKDevil

Varane is better than Terry. You're mixing up career and actual present day level of each player. How do you think Terry would look in a team that doesn't defend as deep as Chelsea do? Utter shite, and that's the style of defending they need to move towards if they want to become more dominant.

Terry is great for the current Chelsea set up but it's too restrictive. He needs to be phased out.
I think the team who've just won the league with the best defensive record in the division know a thing or two about defending.

Varane got it all to prove. Done nothing. Present day level Terry still best defender in Premier League. Seen bits and bobs of Varane. Great recovery pace but seen him have some pretty poor moments for club and country. Can't say the same about Terry.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I think the team who've just won the league with the best defensive record in the division know a thing or two about defending.

Varane got it all to prove. Done nothing. Present day level Terry still best defender in Premier League. Seen bits and bobs of Varane. Great recovery pace but seen him have some pretty poor moments for club and country. Can't say the same about Terry.
Terry has had plenty of dodgy moments. Varane is a class above current day (note, this is the key) Terry.

What are you on about anyway? I never said Chelsea can't defend, I said their style of defending restricts how well they dominate games and attack well. Attacking and defending aren't two completely unrelated functions.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Terry would probably be ripped apart playing in the Madrid defence

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Varane is better than Terry. You're mixing up career and actual present day level of each player. How do you think Terry would look in a team that doesn't defend as deep as Chelsea do? Utter shite, and that's the style of defending they need to move towards if they want to become more dominant.

Terry is great for the current Chelsea set up but it's too restrictive. He needs to be phased out.
Its not far from the truth. Under AVB our defence looked shocking due to us playing a line so high even Pete Doherty couldnt finish it.

AKDevil

Terry has had plenty of dodgy moments. Varane is a class above current day (note, this is the key) Terry.

What are you on about anyway? I never said Chelsea can't defend, I said their style of defending restricts how well they dominate games and attack well. Attacking and defending aren't two completely unrelated functions.
Was referring to you saying what Chelsea need to do defensively. Last season suggests their approach is working just fine. Got knocked out of CL because of set piece marking/individual marking 'mistakes' rather than their overall approach before you pull that up.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Was referring to you saying what Chelsea need to do defensively. Last season suggests their approach is working just fine. Got knocked out of CL because of set piece marking/individual marking 'mistakes' rather than their overall approach before you pull that up.
I said their defensive approach suits Terry but negatively impacts on how they control games. How do you not get that? I'm not saying they have a leaky defence, I'm saying their entire system ensures that Terry is well protected. He plays his part, but the system that's built around overcoming his limitations doesn't help them own the pitch.

They got knocked out of Europe because of a similar reason - cowardice. If they've played like they were against 10 men they'd have gone through. The individual mistakes were a direct consequence of how willing they were to let PSG attack.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I said their defensive approach suits Terry but negatively impacts on how they control games. How do you not get that? I'm not saying they have a leaky defence, I'm saying their entire system ensures that Terry is well protected. He plays his part, but the system that's built around overcoming his limitations doesn't help them own the pitch.

They got knocked out of Europe because of a similar reason - cowardice. If they've played like they were against 10 men they'd have gone through. The individual mistakes were a direct consequence of how willing they were to let PSG attack.
Cowardice? You're a joke. :rolleyes:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You were a man up early on against PSG and didn't even bother attacking. That's cowardice.
I wouldn't bother. Mourinho and his 'pragmatic tactics' are still lauded around here, for the most part.

AKDevil

You actually said...

"How do you think Terry would look in a team that doesn't defend as deep as Chelsea do? Utter shite, and that's the style of defending they need to move towards if they want to become more dominant."

To which I replied, they seem to know a thing or two about defending based on last season so not sure why they need to move towards any style personally.

Agree they should have beaten PSG. Disagree that system that helped them win league fairly comfortably is a problem. Ensures they have a solidity every other Pl team would love to have. In any case, what's wrong with protecting your back four? I would love United to have not looked so vulnerable last season.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Cowardice? You're a joke. :rolleyes:
I wouldn't bother. Mourinho and his 'pragmatic tactics' are still lauded around here, for the most part.
Hard to say it, but he's right. We were cowards the entire match. Our tactics were devoted to just keeping the score at 0-0, and hoping we nick a goal towards the end -- we nearly did it too.

Pragmatism starts to lose its sheen if the team lacks any conviction, and ends up drawing/losing matches even with a defensive mindset. This was evident several times in the latter half of the season. Burnley at home, against PSG, City home and away etc.

Last edited:

ChaddyP

Will they be like City and have to be hunting down homegrown players to fill their squad?. I see alot of foreign players mentioned. Surely they have reached the limit in that aspect

AshfordLad

Will they be like City and have to be hunting down homegrown players to fill their squad?. I see alot of foreign players mentioned. Surely they have reached the limit in that aspect
No, They can buy another 4 non HG players and still be within limits. Chelsea first team has just 13 players that take up a nonHG/Over21 spot.

This is all thanks to a young team and an english core at the defence. Also, the likes of Fabregas and Begovic are home grown as well.

ChaddyP

No, They can buy another 4 non HG players and still be within limits. Chelsea first team has just 13 players that take up a nonHG/Over21 spot.

This is all thanks to a young team and an english core at the defence. Also, the likes of Fabregas and Begovic are home grown as well.
Ahh thanks. Didn't realise Begovic was HG

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Hard to say it, but he's right. We were cowards the entire match. Our tactics were devoted to just keeping the score at 0-0, and hoping we nick a goal towards the end -- we nearly did it too.

Pragmatism starts to lose its sheen if the team lacks any conviction, and ends up drawing/losing matches even with a defensive mindset. This was evident several times in the latter half of the season. Burnley at home, against PSG, City home and away etc.
Bullshit. You can argue against pragmatism, but called a tactical approach 'cowardice' is just fecking ridiculous, especially when its coming from a coach who has no problems making early substitutions, playing seemingly reserve lineups in important matches and putting his reputation on the line repeatedly. Cowardice? Ridiculous. You even say yourself that the tactical approach came very close to working.

Setting aside for a seond that we're on a United forum right now, I don't know how the hell you have the balls to call our team cowards. Was JT a coward when he stuck his face in front of that boot and almost gave his life for the team? Was Jose a coward when he put out what seemed like a ridiculous squad against Liverpool and took the title out of their reach? Cowards? feck is wrong with you?

Raul Madrid

Whoever they pick to replace Terry won't be a step down if they're planning on moving to a more adventurous style which Terry couldn't fit into anyway. He was good last season but you have to remember he had a lot of protection both in terms of the discipline of the midfield in front of him and how deep Chelsea defend. If they want to play pro-active football he's unsuitable.

They don't need to improve their line-up to compete for the league, it's not a great time for English football. If they want to seriously challenge in Europe consistently though, they'll need to improve on the 3/4 players I listed.
I agree that having Terry in the team makes it hard for them to have a more pro-active approach. More pace in their backline would improve them a great deal. It is difficult for them to impose themselves on a lot of games as they have to sit back and defend deep as well as have plenty of protection in front of their back four due to them not being the quickest (Terry in particular). Having quicker defenders would improve them in a lot of ways and would give a lot more freedom to their players in midfield and attack as they would not have to work as hard defensively because the defenders would not be so vulnerable if they are exposed in one on ones against pacey attackers. Also, when your backline is pushed up it makes it easier to control games and to keep the ball and move it around in dangerous areas and quicker defenders will mean they will not be so susceptible to counter attacks if they play this way even if their defenders are high up the pitch. Ramos and Pepe allowed Madrid to play this way under Mourinho and they were much more attack minded than his Chelsea are and they did not concede control of the game as many times as Chelsea do.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Bullshit. You can argue against pragmatism, but called a tactical approach 'cowardice' is just fecking ridiculous, especially when its coming from a coach who has no problems making early substitutions, playing seemingly reserve lineups in important matches and putting his reputation on the line repeatedly. Cowardice? Ridiculous. You even say yourself that the tactical approach came very close to working.

Setting aside for a seond that we're on a United forum right now, I don't know how the hell you have the balls to call our team cowards. Was JT a coward when he stuck his face in front of that boot and almost gave his life for the team? Was Jose a coward when he put out what seemed like a ridiculous squad against Liverpool and took the title out of their reach? Cowards? feck is wrong with you?
:lol: Your almost as bad as Fergie(''You could've of killed him'')

But yes your right. The courage it must John ''Brave Heart'' Terry to give racist abuse to a fellow professional or the courage it took to sleep with fellow professional girlfriend. A truly England's Brave Heart.

Ok just Mourinho left

But setting a side all of that, the tactics against PSG weren't cowardice just stupid.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Oh! That is really bad(I was thinking of the diving header). Now I'm going to sound like a right arsehole but that just fecking stupid and dangerous from Terry, it's Phil Jones levels of not give a shit about your own safety.

It's not courageous.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
What the feck is wrong with me? First of all, before you question my sense, let just make it clear before I say anything else that I was discussing this match alone, without considering . I'm not sure what you're trying to do by crying that I was condemning Terry for putting his head first, or labeling Mourinho with the word cowardice despite going against the odds -- so understand it was none of that. My second point was about pragmatism. While some may say pragmatism is cowardice (as Bob did), I would obviously disagree. But in some cases, as against PSG, I can't. Even with that being said, the approach against PSG was not pragmatic, nor was it an approach that showed any spirit, in fact it was the opposite of that. From my own view, and I'm sure a lot of supporters would have agreed, it was cowardice. I just want to be true to myself regardless of what other fans my think, and for me, it's extremely hard to deny that our approach was cowardly, and I firmly think it was gutless compared to what this team can do. Did it look like to you that we were actually trying? We were spineless, gutless and heartless. However, we were lucky to play against 10 men anyway, had Ibra still been on the field, we would have probably been embarrassed. The players even thought they had it easy, some of them literally walking about the pitch while the ball is in play -- as a fan, I have to question that. We lacked intensity, nobody showed any craft, no astuteness and most disappointingly, there seemed to be a lack of willingness to grab hold of the tie.

Understandably, cowardice etc., aren't the words or phrases supporters would associate with Chelsea, as this is a club that has shown so much spirit and fight to maneuver through tough times and difficult transition. I can't ignore that match however, that match was extremely bothersome (for me anyway). I'm not sure if anything in the past few years could come close to that, perhaps AVB's last match. In any case, that's all I really want to say about this.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Oh! That is really bad(I was thinking of the diving header). Now I'm going to sound like a right arsehole but that just fecking stupid and dangerous from Terry, it's Phil Jones levels of not give a shit about your own safety.

It's not courageous.
You're probably right, but it's a perfect summary of how he's always put himself on the line for the team. No matter how much people hate him, if you ever want to know why Chelsea fans practically worship him that video basically sums it up. It still gives me shivers to this day, its the only time I've ever watched a game of football and genuinely thought a player had died. truly horrible, horrible day. :(

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Understandably, cowardice etc., aren't the words or phrases supporters would associate with Chelsea, as this is a club that has shown so much spirit and fight to maneuver through tough times and a difficult transition. I can't ignore that match however, that match was extremely bothersome (for me anyway). I'm not sure if anything in the past few years could come to that, perhaps AVB's last match. In any case, that's all I really want to say about this.
Ignore me, I shouldn't post drunk, it just makes me super defensive.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
:lol: Your almost as bad as Fergie(''You could've of killed him'')

But yes your right. The courage it must John ''Brave Heart'' Terry to give racist abuse to a fellow professional or the courage it took to sleep with fellow professional girlfriend. A truly England's Brave Heart.

Ok just Mourinho left

But setting a side all of that, the tactics against PSG weren't cowardice just stupid.
It's John stossel

prarek

Terry will continue to look good as long as they play a deep defensive line and protection from Matic and the midfield that does not expose his weaknesses. He's good at last ditch tackles and throwing himself around. Don't think his age will be so much of a factor unless they change their playing style.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
What the feck is wrong with me? First of all, before you question my sense, let just make it clear before I say anything else that I was discussing this match alone, without considering . I'm not sure what you're trying to do by crying that I was condemning Terry for putting his head first, or labeling Mourinho with the word cowardice despite going against the odds -- so understand it was none of that. My second point was about pragmatism. While some may say pragmatism is cowardice (as Bob did), I would obviously disagree. But in some cases, as against PSG, I can't. Even with that being said, the approach against PSG was not pragmatic, nor was it an approach that showed any spirit, in fact it was the opposite of that. From my own view, and I'm sure a lot of supporters would have agreed, it was cowardice. I just want to be true to myself regardless of what other fans my think, and for me, it's extremely hard to deny that our approach was cowardly, and I firmly think it was gutless compared to what this team can do. Did it look like to you that we were actually trying? We were spineless, gutless and heartless. However, we were lucky to play against 10 men anyway, had Ibra still been on the field, we would have probably been embarrassed. The players even thought they had it easy, some of them literally walking about the pitch while the ball is in play -- as a fan, I have to question that. We lacked intensity, nobody showed any craft, no astuteness and most disappointingly, there seemed to be a lack of willingness to grab hold of the tie.

Understandably, cowardice etc., aren't the words or phrases supporters would associate with Chelsea, as this is a club that has shown so much spirit and fight to maneuver through tough times and difficult transition. I can't ignore that match however, that match was extremely bothersome (for me anyway). I'm not sure if anything in the past few years could come close to that, perhaps AVB's last match. In any case, that's all I really want to say about this.
Im in agreement with this really. In hindsight after the match when the emotions had calmed down it was a very unusual and disturbing match. An anomally for us, but one that will be brought up forever and ever because, its Jose.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Im in agreement with this really. In hindsight after the match when the emotions had calmed down it was a very unusual and disturbing match. An anomally for us, but one that will be brought up forever and ever because, its Jose.
Meh, it'll be forgotten two minutes after he wins his next CL.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Right, then.

Appears we're after Pedro. The type of player we need but I'm not so sure he's the level of player we need.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

It's not courageous.
Yep, if the ref followed the rules he could really have sent Terry off for that if I recall them correctly.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
If we can still somehow get Varane/Ramos, Pedro and Pogba out of this summer i;d be happy.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
If we can still somehow get Varane/Ramos, Pedro and Pogba out of this summer i;d be happy.
You sound hard to please. Only the world's best young defender and the world's best young midfielder with a very good attacker thrown in would leave you content with Chelsea's transfer dealings?

Status
Not open for further replies.