Our Rival's Squad next year - Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshfordLad

What ever happened to Romeu Chelsea fans? I thought he was quietly impressive when he first broke in.
He has had a solid loan last season, but is no where near reaching chelsea 11, the likes of RLC have way more potential than this guy. He will end up being sold or may spend a season or tww at back up but no more.

Still favourites for the league, Pedro would be a great signing.
Hope they don't get him.
Wrong, United have strengthened way too much. Favourites only if Arsenal and United do not buy a top striker each, if they do United are clear favourites.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
What ever happened to Romeu Chelsea fans? I thought he was quietly impressive when he first broke in.
I think injuries and the revolving door of managers halted any chances he had in the first team. He's back from his Stuttgart loan -- Stuttgart were planning to buy full on back in January, but then sacked Armin Veh and appointed another manager. I think the new Stuttgart manager, Huub Stevens, isn't interested in signing him. He'll probably be loaned again or sold.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Wrong, United have strengthened way too much. Favourites only if Arsenal and United do not buy a top striker each, if they do United are clear favourites.
Liverpool could also be in the mix if their signings click early, and they make a strong start to the season.

AshfordLad

Liverpool could also be in the mix if their signings click early, and they make a strong start to the season.
The would be in the mix for top4 for sure but title is a bit too far for them thankfully. They have bought well this summer plus last summers buys such as Llalana and Markovic will be better this season. Key for them now is getting rid of dressing room negativity and dead wood like Balotelli, Borini, Alberto etc.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah 4th has to be our (slightly ambitious) aim. Any talk of a title challenge is absurd.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
He has had a solid loan last season, but is no where near reaching chelsea 11, the likes of RLC have way more potential than this guy. He will end up being sold or may spend a season or tww at back up but no more.

Disagree, got to be Arsenal for 1st or 2nd, they have a more settled team and have only got stronger. United havent got a settled team, and have only just learnt the problems with older/ untested premiership players so theres no guarantee any of them will be a success ( other than Schneiderlin) or gel together. Liverpool are if anything weaker than before, they wont be in the top 4 let alone challenging. I think however a mix of Citys squad aging and ffp will see them fall to 4th spot this season.

AshfordLad

Disagree, got to be Arsenal for 1st or 2nd, they have a more settled team and have only got stronger. United havent got a settled team, and have only just learnt the problems with older/ untested premiership players so theres no guarantee any of them will be a success ( other than Schneiderlin) or gel together. Liverpool are if anything weaker than before, they wont be in the top 4 let alone challenging. I think however a mix of Citys squad aging and ffp will see them fall to 4th spot this season.
Liverpool are way stronger than last season - Clyne at RB is a superb buy, Moreno has had a year to settle in, Coutinho has been among the 3 best players in the league since January, You cant expect Sturridge to be out for so long again. Liverpool will be massivly improved this season.

However I do agree that one of the top 4 will have to play quite poorly to drop out and let liverpool in.

Arsenal have a good team unlikely they wont go all the way, Sanchez will be fatigued from the copa, Ozil has only been regressing since going to arsenal, Ramsey, Wilshare, Walcott will all spend quite a bit of time injured as usual. Most importantly, wenger just does not have the edge that Jose and LvG have.

United on the other hand are not as unsettled as you'd think. Most of their key players are already well settled. The only player who they need to click quickly is Depay and possibly the new CB they buy.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Liverpool are way stronger than last season - Clyne at RB is a superb buy, Moreno has had a year to settle in, Coutinho has been among the 3 best players in the league since January, You cant expect Sturridge to be out for so long again. Liverpool will be massivly improved this season.
Arsenal have a good team unlikely they wont go all the way, Sanchez will be fatigued from the copa, Ozil has only been regressing since going to arsenal, Ramsey, Wilshire, Walcott will all spend quite a bit of time injured as usual. Most importantly, wenger just does not have the edge that Jose and LvG have.
So we can't expect Sturridge to be injured a lot but we can Ramsey, Wilshire and Walcott? Seriously, don't underestimate Arsenal. I know its good fun to laugh at them for being a bunch of bottlers, but they've been getting better and second half of last season especially I was started to get really concerned about them. Now they have Cech in goal and may be in for a good striker, that's worrying.

United on the other hand are not as unsettled as you'd think. Most of their key players are already well settled. The only player who they need to click quickly is Depay and possibly the new CB they buy.
Erm, Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin?

AshfordLad

So we can't expect Sturridge to be injured a lot but we can Ramsey, Wilshire and Walcott? Seriously, don't underestimate Arsenal. I know its good fun to laugh at them for being a bunch of bottlers, but they've been getting better and second half of last season especially I was started to get really concerned about them. Now they have Cech in goal and may be in for a good striker, that's worrying.
Big difference, Sturridge had an anomaly season. Wilshare and Walcott have been on injury list all their life. Besides, there were 5 other reasons I pointed to all of which stand.

I was concerned about arsenal when there were signs of them getting Lacazette and Schneiderlin. That clearly is not going to happen.

Erm, Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin?
Schwinestiger wont be a sure started, he will likely share time with either Carrick or Herrera. Schneiderlin will be quick to settle since he has spent his whole career in PL.

You can bet your house on United buying a striker and a CB. They will be very very strong, arsenal wont stand a chance against them.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
If Arsenal somehow manage to sign Lacazette, they will firmly be favourites for the title, maybe even the CL. Luckily they won't. Wenger will continue to persist with Welbeck and Giroud.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Big difference, Sturridge had an anomaly season. Wilshare and Walcott have been on injury list all their life. Besides, there were 5 other reasons I pointed to all of which stand.

I was concerned about arsenal when there were signs of them getting Lacazette and Schneiderlin. That clearly is not going to happen.
Sturridge didn't have an anomaly season, he's a walking casualty unit. Even Liverpool fans accept that.

Schwinestiger wont be a sure started, he will likely share time with either Carrick or Herrera. Schneiderlin will be quick to settle since he has spent his whole career in PL.
Like Lallana and Lovren?

You can bet your house on United buying a striker and a CB. They will be very very strong, arsenal wont stand a chance against them.
I think United have strengthened hugely this window, but Arsenal have been building a solid unit and adding to it carefully. It's likely to take at least half a season for United to bed in as a cohesive unit.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
If Arsenal somehow manage to sign Lacazette, they will firmly be favourites for the title, maybe even the CL. Luckily they won't. Wenger will continue to persist with Welbeck and Giroud.
I don't think there's anyone Arsenal can buy that would convince me they'll finish above us. If we buy no one else I'd still back us to finish above them again.

We're still position for position better than they are in every area but #10, have a better manager, and a better defense. We're also the best "big game" side in the league since José has been back.

Oo0AahCantona

Arsenal could sign benzema and they wouldn't be favourites for the champions league :lol:

AshfordLad

Sturridge didn't have an anomaly season, he's a walking casualty unit. Even Liverpool fans accept that.
Sturridge has played about 8000 mins in last 4 seasons while walcott has done 6300 and wilshare has done about 5000. Dont take anything that dippers claim on face value, you should know this much.

Like Lallana and Lovren?
Different class of manager, diff player.

I think United have strengthened hugely this window, but Arsenal have been building a solid unit and adding to it carefully. It's likely to take at least half a season for United to bed in as a cohesive unit.
Maybe it will take time for Utd, but arsenal wont do well either, Ozil been getting worse, sanchez will likely be fatigued by now and LvG is a lot better manager than Wenger.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Ozil hasn't been getting worse, I don't get why Sanchez is the only South American player who's going to be fatigued and LVG hasn't done anything since coming to United for that last statement to be made.

AshfordLad

I don't think there's anyone Arsenal can buy that would convince me they'll finish above us. If we buy no one else I'd still back us to finish above them again.

We're still position for position better than they are in every area but #10, have a better manager, and a better defense. We're also the best "big game" side in the league since José has been back.
Totally agree with all of this and even the no10 spot is highly debatable b/w Oscar and Ozil, both of whom have been very ordinary.

Rafateria

In reality the truth, as usual, probably lies somewhere between the opinions of Ashford Lad and Kentonio.

To disregard Arsenal would be based on bias. They showed last season that they are a threat and signing Cech is a massive boost. If they improve their midfield/attack then they must surely be in the mix come the end of the season. If Chelsea are favourites because they have a stable side and are just adding quality (and of course the transfer season isn't done - does anyone seriously believe that Chelsea / Arsenal will spend under 20m this window ?) then Arsenal are in that same boat.

City's ageing side may be an issue over the course of a full English season with CL ambitions, Sterling is better than Navas and strengthens their attack but he is far from consistent or a match-winner, their midfield needs urgent attention as does their defence, if they get Pogba/Vidal and a strong CB/LB then they could remain relevant as far as the PL title goes, however even though the have the money I'm not sure the players they need are available this Summer. There seems to be a lack of depth in the availability of top quality players, which also affects finding a suitable striker, Aguero and Bony is far from enough (with Jovetic and Dzeko likely on their way) for a full season in the PL/CL.

Some of the United fans here who believe they are soon to become favourites are smoking some heavy shit. We saw last season with Di Maria, a world-class player, that even players of his ilk can have issues settling into a side, maybe because of United/LvG's style of play or for other reasons. The same goes for DePay, Schweinstiger & Schneiderlin. It's a big step up for DePay, he could end up being phenomenally successful like Suarez or he could struggle as so many others moving up from minor leagues have done, oodles of goals in the NL doesn't equate to oodles of goals in the PL. Same goes for Darmian moving from Italy, he may require a period of adjustment, he may not.
Schweinstiger does have injury issues so United need luck too to get a whole season out of him and he's spent his whole career at BM, this is a major transition for him for all the usual reasons (style of play, new team mates, new country, language etc. etc.).. One would assume Schneiderlin would have the easiest time adjusting, however we've many times seen good PL players move clubs and just fail for one reason or another. To expect all of those four, plus a new CB and striker, to hit the floor running is beyond fantasy.
United of course still need a CB and striker. Rooney, Wilson (a 19 y.o. boy) and Hernandez (if he's still there) are simply not enough and I'm personally not sure Cavani is the answer either considering he spends all his time on the wing for PSG, even though he regards himself as a #9 he's far from set the world alight when played there for Uruguay (amended from mistakenly writing Argentina - no idea where my head was at then) ! As for a CB - is Ramos the answer ? Maybe.

All that said there is no doubting that United have brought in some quality players and the team will be stronger, they need a better CB pairing (even though Schneiderlin will help shield that back 4) and another high quality striker. Currently I have them 3rd, we'll see if they get that CB and striker where that takes them, but I doubt very much it'll be to the top of the PL this season as there is too much churn in the team and I believe you need a stable side to win the PL.
Chelsea must be there or thereabouts, Mourinho has a proven system and is only adding to it. The manager could be the difference. Title winners again.
Arsenal have a stable side and will strengthen with one or two high quality players and can not be ignored, 2nd for me.

I don't see Liverpool (who have undoubtedly strengthened, it's ridiculous to dismiss that fact) or Spurs challenging those 3. City are the only ones susceptible to being dislodged from the Top 4 and, depending on who they buy (and they will, expect to see at least another 70-80m flow out of their coffers) even that may be a forlorn hope.

Last edited:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
My top 4 is still..

Chelsea
Arsenal
United
City

With United/Arsenal potentially exchangable if the new United signings all manage to bond quickly and Arsenal don't get off to a strong start. If City get De Bruyne though, that could easily change and 2-4 become a lot harder to predict.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
My top 4 is still..

Chelsea
Arsenal
United
City

With United/Arsenal potentially exchangable if the new United signings all manage to bond quickly and Arsenal don't get off to a strong start. If City get De Bruyne though, that could easily change and 2-4 become a lot harder to predict.
Unfortunately, it's not so easy brother. United have strengthened a lot in this window. They have already bought 4 and will buy a ST,RW,CB and a GK. If they get that, we definitely need to buy a RW, CM and a CB to compete with Utd.

All Arsenal need is a ST and a DM. If Wenger get's those 2 , they will be right up there.

City already have a good squad which can win the CL. Aguero and Bony are the best pair of strikers in the league at the moment. With Silva, Yaya and Sterling supplying them, they are definitely are going to be a force to reckon with.

And I am scared for us. What if Terry or Hazard get injured? Who are the backups then? I wouldn't want Cahill-Zouma to be the CB pairing for an important league game. We need to make transfers in the market soon.

Glanville95

In reality the truth, as usual, probably lies somewhere between the opinions of Ashford Lad and Kentonio.

To disregard Arsenal would be based on bias. They showed last season that they are a threat and signing Cech is a massive boost. If they improve their midfield/attack then they must surely be in the mix come the end of the season. If Chelsea are favourites because they have a stable side and are just adding quality (and of course the transfer season isn't done - does anyone seriously believe that Chelsea / Arsenal will spend under 20m this window ?) then Arsenal are in that same boat.

City's ageing side may be an issue over the course of a full English season with CL ambitions, Sterling is better than Navas and strengthens their attack but he is far from consistent or a match-winner, their midfield needs urgent attention as does their defence, if they get Pogba/Vidal and a strong CB/LB then they could remain relevant as far as the PL title goes, however even though the have the money I'm not sure the players they need are available this Summer. There seems to be a lack of depth in the availability of top quality players, which also affects finding a suitable striker, Aguero and Bony is far from enough (with Jovetic and Dzeko likely on their way) for a full season in the PL/CL.

Some of the United fans here who believe they are soon to become favourites are smoking some heavy shit. We saw last season with Di Maria, a world-class player, that even players of his ilk can have issues settling into a side, maybe because of United/LvG's style of play or for other reasons. The same goes for DePay, Schweinstiger & Schneiderlin. It's a big step up for DePay, he could end up being phenomenally successful like Suarez or he could struggle as so many others moving up from minor leagues have done, oodles of goals in the NL doesn't equate to oodles of goals in the PL. Same goes for Darmian moving from Italy, he may require a period of adjustment, he may not.
Schweinstiger does have injury issues so United need luck too to get a whole season out of him and he's spent his whole career at BM, this is a major transition for him for all the usual reasons (style of play, new team mates, new country, language etc. etc.).. One would assume Schneiderlin would have the easiest time adjusting, however we've many times seen good PL players move clubs and just fail for one reason or another. To expect all of those four, plus a new CB and striker, to hit the floor running is beyond fantasy.
United of course still need a CB and striker. Rooney, Wilson (a 19 y.o. boy) and Hernandez (if he's still there) are simply not enough and I'm personally not sure Cavani is the answer either considering he spends all his time on the wing for PSG, even though he regards himself as a #9 he's far from set the world alight when played there for Argentina. As for a CB - is Ramos the answer ? Maybe.

All that said there is no doubting that United have brought in some quality players and the team will be stronger, they need a better CB pairing (even though Schneiderlin will help shield that back 4) and another high quality striker. Currently I have them 3rd, we'll see if they get that CB and striker where that takes them, but I doubt very much it'll be to the top of the PL this season as there is too much churn in the team and I believe you need a stable side to win the PL.
Chelsea must be there or thereabouts, Mourinho has a proven system and is only adding to it. The manager could be the difference. Title winners again.
Arsenal have a stable side and will strengthen with one or two high quality players and can not be ignored, 2nd for me.

I don't see Liverpool (who have undoubtedly strengthened, it's ridiculous to dismiss that fact) or Spurs challenging those 3. City are the only ones susceptible to being dislodged from the Top 4 and, depending on who they buy (and they will, expect to see at least another 70-80m flow out of their coffers) even that may be a forlorn hope.
Great post. Agree wholeheartedly.

The worry I would have for Arsenal, is Wenger resting on his laurels again. Something he's renowned for. They are undoubtably very close, to dismiss them as title challenger would be absurd, but once again it appears that Wenger will neglect a position that needs urgent attention. Namely defensive midfield I'm referring to.

He entrusts his players ability, possibly more so than any other manager which is might be seen as positive, but can potentially be a downfall also. Coquelin did extremely well when he found himself in the first team, but to extend Arteta's contract and retain Flamini possibly goes against the grain of what another, top ruthless manager (LVG for example) would do.They need more depth from a defensive perspective in midfield and Arteta and Flamini don't cut it, so relying on Coquelin is a big gamble.

Again, upfront is a similar narrative, although Giroud has established himself as a very good PL striker. He's perhaps a tier below the calibre of striker required to win the league (like I think Rooney is for us). If he's injured and then it becomes a straight choice between Welbeck and Walcott leading the lines, then you start to have reservations over Arsenal.

But they do have a very settled side, the injuries seemed to subside towards the end of last season which could be a good omen, and they have the trophy monkey off their back. Cech will surely add a minimum of 5 points too, possibly in excess of 10. They will challenge with their current squad, but to usurp Chelsea and Mourinho who's got Wenger's number will be a big ask.

On the subject of Chelsea, they still remain firm favourites. Their transfer window has been a bit underwhelming even if their squad doesn't need to much work. They need another central midfielder and I'm not sure Aranguiz is the answer, could easily see him being a failure at his age and no experience of the top leagues. Falcao will do better for them then us, but he's still God awful. The Mourinho factor will probably play the biggest part.

NK86

Like Lallana and Lovren?

More like Michael Carrick.

SoCross

I think injuries and the revolving door of managers halted any chances he had in the first team. He's back from his Stuttgart loan -- Stuttgart were planning to buy full on back in January, but then sacked Armin Veh and appointed another manager. I think the new Stuttgart manager, Huub Stevens, isn't interested in signing him. He'll probably be loaned again or sold.
Ah cheers lads. I quite liked him whenever I saw him.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'm personally not sure Cavani is the answer either considering he spends all his time on the wing for PSG, even though he regards himself as a #9 he's far from set the world alight when played there for Argentina.
Yeah he plays for Uruguay so that's quite normal.

You've twisted your argumentation concerning the 4 Utd signings in a way that those reservations could be applied to absolutely any player signing for any club:
- young hot prospect with bags of potential coming from a weaker league: could flop
- established world class player who won the world cup last year and has been a permanent fixture in one of the best European teams for years: could flop
- solid fullback in another European league (which focuses more on defense) who has by all reports been regularly good for a while now, and has established himself in his national team: could flop
- established Premier League player who has been the best performer in his position over the past three years (which, as you love stats, is statistically backed up): could flop

Ok.

RedStarUnited

I think people dont realise Arsenal only finished 5 points above us last year. If you think they will challenge, then we wont be far behind them.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I still think City are more likely to challenge than either of us are. If they get a full season out of Aguero, and Kompany sorts his head out, they'll get well over 80 points. Is that any less likely than Arsenal signing the striker we need or United's attack proving to be good enough?
Lacazette really isn't the player for us, but even if he was that's a ridiculous statement. :lol:

finneh

United of course still need a CB and striker. Rooney, Wilson (a 19 y.o. boy) and Hernandez (if he's still there) are simply not enough and I'm personally not sure Cavani is the answer either considering he spends all his time on the wing for PSG, even though he regards himself as a #9 he's far from set the world alight when played there for Argentina. As for a CB - is Ramos the answer ? Maybe.

Yea good post. In all fairness I'd take 3rd next season if we buy a centre back and a striker. Not because we won't have a squad to challenge for the title, but because you can't just go out and sign 6 first team players and expect them all to settle immediately. Especially after the season previous going out and signing another 5 first team players.

It's pretty conceivable that with one niggle (or continued poor form) to Rooney that we start the season with an entire first choice XI that weren't here 13 months ago... New GK, Shaw, Rojo, New CB, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Di Maria, Depay, New Striker. There's no chance we compete with that lack of understanding between 11 players.

Rafateria

Yeah he plays for Uruguay so that's quite normal.

You've twisted your argumentation concerning the 4 Utd signings in a way that those reservations could be applied to absolutely any player signing for any club:
- young hot prospect with bags of potential coming from a weaker league: could flop
- established world class player who won the world cup last year and has been a permanent fixture in one of the best European teams for years: could flop
- solid fullback in another European league (which focuses more on defense) who has by all reports been regularly good for a while now, and has established himself in his national team: could flop
- established Premier League player who has been the best performer in his position over the past three years (which, as you love stats, is statistically backed up): could flop

Ok.
Smart-ass. But yes of course - no idea how Uruguay became Argentina in that post. Maybe there has been a secret political annexation I'm subliminally aware of ?

I haven't twisted anything and actually your whole post and 'Could flop' just goes to endorse my comments further. I did not claim those possibilities do not apply to any other team/player, of course they do, every time. My assertion, as I clearly stated, is simply that it is unrealistic of United fans to expect 6 new players to all shine in their first season at the club and that that would undermine any title attempt.

Needham

Chelsea are top-heavy with what British and Irish politicians used to call "the men of violence". My favorites to win everything. Still the best team in England and, if they add a few more players, the best team in London, too.

RooneyLegend

Shocked they haven't made any adjustments yet. Although they won the title at a canter last season, you'd think they'd have the ambition of being one of the elite in europe.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Shocked they haven't made any adjustments yet. Although they won the title at a canter last season, you'd think they'd have the ambition of being one of the elite in europe.
Still holding out hope we'll get a couple. Our fans are definitely frustrated.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Smart-ass. But yes of course - no idea how Uruguay became Argentina in that post. Maybe there has been a secret political annexation I'm subliminally aware of ?

I haven't twisted anything and actually your whole post and 'Could flop' just goes to endorse my comments further. I did not claim those possibilities do not apply to any other team/player, of course they do, every time. My assertion, as I clearly stated, is simply that it is unrealistic of United fans to expect 6 new players to all shine in their first season at the club and that that would undermine any title attempt.
For some reason that really made me laugh :lol:

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
Speak for yourself!

I wouldn't mind Stones from Everton but that's about it, unless we sell people.
Come on duffy. We need to make signings to compete with the top 3 in Europe. We definitely need a goal scoring RW like Pedro. And a box-to-box CM.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Speak for yourself!

I wouldn't mind Stones from Everton but that's about it, unless we sell people.
And what happens if Matic picks up a serious injury in the first couple of weeks? Or Hazard?

We'd be struggling. We need another reliable source of goals and another quality player in the middle of the pitch. Signing Stones would be a huge bonus.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
I think we're going to get quite active in the market in the next couple of weeks. Witsel and Pedro are possible targets. If Luis leaves, we may go after Baba Rahman. Stones will probably drag on for weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.