Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
The guy is perma crocked. That means he will fit right in at United.

AFC NimbleThumb

An incentivised loan move with an option to buy if terms met would be a decent deal so long as the rest of the Sancho war chest is used elsewhere.

He’s a talented player who’d surely link well with Pogba & Martial - his move to Barca has been terrible but there’s a serious talent there.

marc1_007

Ryan Giggs had major hamstring problems in his twenties and he had to change his training regime and lasted in the premier league until the age of 40.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-7095177/Ryan-Giggs-reveals-quit-27-injury-nightmare.html

Dembele's issues are muscle related and he just had surgery to fix it and with a proper training regime, it is not so difficult to overcome he is also now fully fit again, so if the option was there to loan and have an obligation to buy if he plays more than 40 games, then I am all for it because Barcelona are in a major financial crisis and are in no position to reject good money for a player that does not suit them.
Dembele has always been a player I wished Utd signed from when he was at Rennes but whilst I do want Sancho, it is just unrealistic to buy him as well as improve in 3 or 4 other positions as we just do not have the squad depth, but with Dembele for something like £40m, we could buy a Back up/competition for matic, a left footed back up to Shaw, a left footed central defender and possibly a back up to Pogba or Bruno

flappyjay

I’m totally down for this move. He can be the perfect backup/alternate for Greenwood on the RW.

We can also use this summer’s budget on other concerning areas instead of plowing it all on Sancho.

Dembele + VdB + CB and maybe Grealish if we get a good deal.
My main concern is his injury record, I have never heard of a player coming to us and then getting a better injury record. It usually gets worse.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

flappyjay

You can actually. Thiago is available for 35m, VDB around same price, plenty of left backs available for 25-30m.

Defenders whoever linked are all available in the range of 30-35m (Kabak, Gabriel, kid from Monaco)
Even more Sanchez's salary can cover for 3 players with some change if we get van de Beek instead of Thiago.

Jericho

Don't like this one at all. If we go in for him we're back to buying players because they're high profile again. We have too many inconsistent players as it is, we need guys who deliver regularly.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Problems with his mentality, do not want. Not even as a loan.

If we're trying to assemble a professional squad of players fighting for the same cause, do not touch him.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
My main concern is his injury record, I have never heard of a player coming to us and then getting a better injury record. It usually gets worse.
Some striker from arsenal didn't have any problems a few years ago!

gza the genius

Wouldn't mind him on loan if we can't/won't get Sancho. His injury record is a concern but we have a solid front three so it's not like we'd be relying on him week in and out to start, we just need quality options.

Womp

idiot
Was Dembele at Sancho level before he moved to Spain?
Talent wise? Yes. Just about every other way? IMO, no. Sancho's productivity is insane for his age. He seems to be getting far more out of his talent than a lot of other youngsters would be at a similar age

Lee565

No, he showed a lot of potential but he was not delivering like sancho has for multiple seasons with dortmund, even at the time when Barca signed him for 100-120 million most people thought it was crazy.

RkkMan

Ryan Giggs had major hamstring problems in his twenties and he had to change his training regime and lasted in the premier league until the age of 40.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-7095177/Ryan-Giggs-reveals-quit-27-injury-nightmare.html

Dembele's issues are muscle related and he just had surgery to fix it and with a proper training regime, it is not so difficult to overcome he is also now fully fit again, so if the option was there to loan and have an obligation to buy if he plays more than 40 games, then I am all for it because Barcelona are in a major financial crisis and are in no position to reject good money for a player that does not suit them.
Dembele has always been a player I wished Utd signed from when he was at Rennes but whilst I do want Sancho, it is just unrealistic to buy him as well as improve in 3 or 4 other positions as we just do not have the squad depth, but with Dembele for something like £40m, we could buy a Back up/competition for matic, a left footed back up to Shaw, a left footed central defender and possibly a back up to Pogba or Bruno
Will Dembele actually have the same levels of professionalism Giggs had to follow through such a program? I`ve read that Barca`s medical staff proposed something similar to him but he refused to follow up on him and there`s lot of talk about him missing training sessions for no good reason. What makes you think he`ll all of a sudden change at Utd?
He screams of a serious unprofessional player as naturally talented as he is we`ll be making a HUGE mistake buying him even on loan.

croadyman

I can understand me and you and any regular jack to still believe that Scott can deputize at CDM, but if the club actually believe that he can replace Matic than I am worried. Scott is no CDM imo and never will, we must bring someone this summer if we are willing to have a good season.
Yeah totally agree it's worrying but honestly think if there was any interest in a CDM we would have at least heard of some concrete interest by now and we just haven't at all.

croadyman

I'd sign Sancho at all costs and if Dembele can be got for 30 mil I'd get him too! Sell Lingard and Pereira and we'd be looking tickity boo up front with Martial Greenwood Rashford Sancho and Ousmane :)
Wow now there is an idea but not going to deny it is worrying what I have read about his attitude and lack of professionalism at Barcelona, feel like a chat with Pogba & Martial about him would definitely be in order if we were seriously considering signing him as alternative to Sancho.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Do you really think that Barca wouldn't have tried that for whom they have spent 140m ?

ThinkTank@Cafe

Talent wise? Yes. Just about every other way? IMO, no. Sancho's productivity is insane for his age. He seems to be getting far more out of his talent than a lot of other youngsters would be at a similar age
No, he showed a lot of potential but he was not delivering like sancho has for multiple seasons with dortmund, even at the time when Barca signed him for 100-120 million most people thought it was crazy.
Thank you. So, the difference in quality kinda justifies Sancho price even in corona crisis. Dembele was €140 M, Sancho is €120 M but he is a much better player, and he is English.

In Rainbows

Close. Showed the same talent and if you consider the two footedness, then you can believe he's more talented. In production it was close, but Sancho was superior.

Bundesliga stats:
Sancho age 18: 13 goals and 19 assists in 3000 minutes
Sancho age 19: 20 goals and 20 assists in 3300 minutes

Dembele age 19: 10 goals and 22 assists in 3500 minutes

Dribbling per 90 (successful/attempted/%successful)
Sancho age 18: 4.1/6.8 / 60.3%
Sancho age 19: 3.0 /5.4 / 55.6%

Dembele age 19: 4.5/8.1 / 55.6%

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd happily give him a go on loan instead of Sancho this summer if all this agent and Dortmund posturing doesn't get sorted.
Not a bad option on loan.

You can actually. Thiago is available for 35m, VDB around same price, plenty of left backs available for 25-30m.

Defenders whoever linked are all available in the range of 30-35m (Kabak, Gabriel, kid from Monaco)
These are your preferred players? I'd rather get Sancho in tbh.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I responded to a post about his productivity, I didn't suggest that we should be after him. The fact that he can't stay fit is a big isssue for me but when on the field there isn't a lot of players that produces more goals and assists than Dembélé.
Sure, but this thread is about the possibility of signing the player hence I commented on that part.

He's extremely talented so for a reasonable fee he'd be a risk worth taking. A loan would be perfect if Barcelona are open to it.

El Jefe

He's an absolute weapon but if we can get him on loan without an obligation to buy, I'd prefer to get him and go for Sancho next year.

You can say what you want about him, but he's an elite talent and I won't be surprised to see him light it up away from the Barcelona. We have far better conditions for him to succeed than Barca do but ultimately its all up to his application and desire.

davidmichael

Screams to me " Hey dortmund look at us over here talking to this other guy "
Maybe it does but then Dortmund are getting players to publicly state how happy they are Sancho is staying and throwing pictures up on social media so it’s both ways, it’s basically a game of polka between the two.

Superunknown

Not convinced about this potential move. 3 seasons at Barcelona. 17, 29, and then 5 league appearances. 12 league goals in those three seasons. Maybe as a loan deal if we really struggle to get other signings...maybe.

Houdini

Another high earning bench warmer. At least Jones, Shaw and co. will have a poker partner in hospital.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
These are your preferred players? I'd rather get Sancho in tbh.
Well, you were worried about the players being "questionable" ones and I can guarantee that they are not and they would be better than what we have currently.

Ofcourse they can't play the role of Sancho but neither can Sancho play their roles. Its all about improving other areas vastly by compromising one position.

He'sRaldo

Even if he is injured occassionally, Greenwood will slot right in and benefit from that, and that will also make him more likely to accept a backup role to Greenwood and Rashford.

In my head it works out beautifully, especially if it's a loan with an option. Would prefer over 120M+ Sancho.

Red_toad

He's an absolute weapon but if we can get him on loan without an obligation to buy, I'd prefer to get him and go for Sancho next year.

You can say what you want about him, but he's an elite talent and I won't be surprised to see him light it up away from the Barcelona. We have far better conditions for him to succeed than Barca do but ultimately its all up to his application and desire.
If he can look somewhere near the talent he’s know to have had, then why would any club with an option to purchase him go for Sancho who’d cost over twice as much. If he joins on loan and proves himself, then that’s the decision made, no point paying a vastly inflated fee for a player who may be marginally more effective.

marc1_007

Will Dembele actually have the same levels of professionalism Giggs had to follow through such a program? I`ve read that Barca`s medical staff proposed something similar to him but he refused to follow up on him and there`s lot of talk about him missing training sessions for no good reason. What makes you think he`ll all of a sudden change at Utd?
He screams of a serious unprofessional player as naturally talented as he is we`ll be making a HUGE mistake buying him even on loan.
Well he has had the corrective surgery for a start so that should help but there always seem to be an issue with Barcelona with expensive signings fitting in around Messi, only Neymar and Suarez have fitted in well with him, but you have to ask why Dembele, Coutinho and Griezman, Ibrahimovic, Fabregas have not been able to adapt to playing with Messi like they do in their previous teams, I have my suspicions about that but these players were regularly turning out world class performances at their previous clubs before moving to Barcelona, so I would not be too quick to dismiss Dembele's ability because he has not been at his best for Barcelona.

Martial is in his age group for the national team and Pogba is highly respected in the national team so for a start he will have people to look up to and hang around with like Greenwood has with Rashford and Lingard and I just feel like the competition within the first team will be so much better because all the players are all around the same age and things like this can drive a player to greater heights as you have seen this season with Rashford and Martial.

Plus He is an amazing player that is every bit as two footed as Mason Greenwood, can you just imagine the two full backs not knowing what direction either Greenwood or Dembele is going in because of their ambi-dexterity and imagine the link up play he would have with Martial, The possibilities are just endless.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/19/ousm...-manchester-united-transfer-man-utd-12579378/

TsuWave

We can also use this summer’s budget on other concerning areas instead of plowing it all on Sancho.
Why are people so positive that whatever we spend on Sancho will be the entirety of our budget?

Also, Sancho is a better player, younger and the added bonus of having lived in Manchester previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.