Owen Hargreaves | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
I think it's more than likely that there will be at least two spare places in our 25 man squad next season, one of which could well be given to Hargreaves.

I made this post a few months ago:

If we were to register Hargreaves as well as signing a new keeper and midfielder who both had to be registered, then realistically four of the following nine players would have to leave the club either through retirement, a permanent transfer or on loan:

De Laet, Diouf, Obertan, Gibson, Owen, Brown, Kuszczak, Scholes, Cleverley.

When you look at it like that the chances of an appearance based contract for Hargreaves don't look too bad at all.

I'd consider it unlikely that any of the following 17 players won't be registered in our 25 man squad next season:

Lindegaard, O'Shea, Vidic, Ferdinand, Smalling, Evans, Evra, Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson, Park, Giggs, Valencia, Nani, Rooney, Berbatov, Hernandez.

The following players don't have to be registered in next season's 25 man Premier League squad:

Rafael, Fabio, Bebe, Welbeck, Macheda + Amos and all of the other Reserves/Academy players.

If we signed De Gea as our new goalkeeper then that would obviously free up another place in our Premier League 25 man squad. De Gea would have to be registered in our Champions League 25 man squad, as would Bebe, but all the other youngsters can be named outside both the PL and CL squads next season.

GCHQ

Top post, I've missed GCHQ-
I don't think I'm officially supposed to be still posting in this forum (depends on the exact terms of my release). :nervous:

I do think that people blow the impact of the 25 man squad limit and the homegrown rule out of all proportion. If you look at the size and composition of our first team squad over the last five years then a 25 man squad plus 3/4 talented U21s is perfect really. A squad any bigger than 28/29 would become a nightmare for Fergie in terms of keeping players happy. It's already difficult with 28/29 as we've seen with Brown and Owen in particular this season.

After all, if the clubs weren't generally happy with the new rules then the Premier League wouldn't have brought them in. It's also worth noting that a slighty stricter 25 man squad limit has been in place for clubs participating in European competitions for the last ten years or so.

I think Wenger was the only manager to have a real moan and that was about the 17 man limit on registering non homegrown players over the age of 21. That struck me as odd considering that Wenger signs so many foreign youngsters around the age of 18 that they end up qualifying for homegrown status anyway.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Thanks!

I have been making an effort and I can assure you that I'll be staying well clear of the ticket thread! ;)
Get me a ticket for the final mate. I missed the Wolves CC game. Tell our owners I'll be a good boy in the future. :angel:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I really can't see Da Laet or PiG being in our squad next year. I just can't see it (Or Gill, won't he have to be registered?)

So Hargreaves, De Gea and maybe a new midfielder would be perfect :D

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Is there a reason people want Hargreaves in our squad? 25 places or not, he hasn't played properly for almost three years. I feel for the bloke, but I don't see what value he's going to offer us now. To play properly again is looking unlikely, but to play at the level we require of him is even less likely.

Levi_Jm

Some an article this morning claiming Arsenal want to sign Hargreaves....anyone else heard this bollocks?

GCHQ

I really can't see Da Laet or PiG being in our squad next year. I just can't see it (Or Gill, won't he have to be registered?)

So Hargreaves, De Gea and maybe a new midfielder would be perfect :D
I'd be very surprised if Diouf was either. Gill was born in 1990. Players born in 1990 and above that don't have to be registered next season.

GCHQ

Is there a reason people want Hargreaves in our squad? 25 places or not, he hasn't played properly for almost three years. I feel for the bloke, but I don't see what value he's going to offer us now. To play properly again is looking unlikely, but to play at the level we require of him is even less likely.
Well I don't really see what we have to lose, especially if the medical department are confident that he's overcome his knee injuries. In all likelihood he won't be taking up a place in the squad that would have gone to someone else, he'll be on a very low basic salary and it gives us an opportunity to get at least some return on our huge investment over the last four years.

MTF

Not to mention Rooney, who's got a large family and usually takes his fair share..
I think Rooney, Owen, and some of our other players own a VIP box each, which grants them the right to watch every event at Wembley, and to go there any time they'd like. That's what they tell you on the tour at least.

Beckham was supposedly the only person that acquired 2.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Well I don't really see what we have to lose, especially if the medical department are confident that he's overcome his knee injuries. In all likelihood he won't be taking up a place in the squad that would have gone to someone else, he'll be on a very low basic salary and it gives us an opportunity to get at least some return on our huge investment over the last four years.
I take your point, particularly given his new wages (pay as you play, presumably), but I cannot see how doctors can say he's over the injuries.

Potentially what we have to lose is a place in the squad (I understand your point that its unlikely, though) and also if he does return, him playing and doing something costly. Be that a mistake because he's not up to it, or breaking down when we've made three subs. This could happen to anyone, but his risks are sky high.

RK

That free kick against Arsenal is so underrated, it was perfect technique.

Shame it hasn't really worked out, hope he gets on okay.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I know this sounds very silly but...in much the same way that I always expect United to make great comebacks, I really hoped that Owen would too. :(

Wittmann45

I was actually desperate for him to return to full fitness, and I really thought he would have been given a contract, at least a one year pay as you play contract

I hope he finds a good club to play for, and isn't forced into retirement

scottish_red

anyone see him at OT or part of the celebrations today ? would of liked him to be part of it even if he didn't contribute to the season.

DevilsQueen

what a waste of a player, with all those injuries. has been a very important part in the 2008 season, good luck for the future hargo.

Drifter

American
London – Injury-plagued England midfielder Owen Hargreaves and former France internationals Patrick Vieira and Robert Pires head a list of players released by Premier League clubs this offseason.

Hargreaves, who starred for England in the 2006 World Cup, leaves English champion Manchester United after playing just 11

minutes in the past two seasons.

Crosstown rival Manchester City has let the 35-year-old Vieira depart after 18 months at the club, while compatriot Pires is also looking for a new team following the midfielder's release from Aston Villa.

Other high-profile players now without a club are England defenders Matthew Upson (West Ham) and Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham), Hungary captain Zoltan Gera and Ghana fullback John Pantsil (both Fulham). – Sapa-AP

Tibs

Watch him have an injury-free season, and score the winning goal in a game against us

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
London – Injury-plagued England midfielder Owen Hargreaves and former France internationals Patrick Vieira and Robert Pires head a list of players released by Premier League clubs this offseason.

Hargreaves, who starred for England in the 2006 World Cup, leaves English champion Manchester United after playing just 11

minutes in the past two seasons.

Crosstown rival Manchester City has let the 35-year-old Vieira depart after 18 months at the club, while compatriot Pires is also looking for a new team following the midfielder's release from Aston Villa.

Other high-profile players now without a club are England defenders Matthew Upson (West Ham) and Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham), Hungary captain Zoltan Gera and Ghana fullback John Pantsil (both Fulham). – Sapa-AP
I read that last night but figured it wasn't worth posting. We already knew that was coming.

IrishLegend

Status
Not open for further replies.