Television Ozark

djdhrubs

Yeah this is not perfect but very well done all things considered. I've been a fan of Laura Linney since watching You can count on me and the odd appearance on Frasier. Fantastic actress. Ruth and Helen are great characters. I thought Ben was fantastically played and there are several scenes of his when you're cringeing (in a good way) when he says stuff he shouldn't and you know he's gonna attract big trouble.

The best moment in all 3 seasons by far is when the Mexicans and Hillbillies do the deal and then that thing happens. You're waiting for something to go badly wrong and it ends up almost going really smoothly and well, and suddenly, bam!

I hope this all ends happily.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Watched a few episodes of this. Can’t tell if I like the constant blue tint or hate it.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I hate it. All the scenes are too dark, especially the indoor scenes. Why tf don’t they use light switches!
Sounds like you need to fix your tv settings or get a better tv. Nothing like a GoT S8. Can't recall any scenes where it got too dark to see. Google some recommended settings for your tv if there are reviews for it. Every panel is a bit different but it might be a good starting pt.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Watched a few episodes of this. Can’t tell if I like the constant blue tint or hate it.
This put me off it completely at first and I found it a real struggle to watch, but by late first season/early second season they really calm down on the blue tint and colours get far more normal, you soon forget all about it!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Thought this show was really overrated

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This put me off it completely at first and I found it a real struggle to watch, but by late first season/early second season they really calm down on the blue tint and colours get far more normal, you soon forget all about it!
Good to know!

Mark Pawelek

Ozark

Type
: Crime, from the criminals point-of-view. May appeal to fans of Breaking-bad, Call Saul, Fargo. Middle-class, middle-aged accountant gets caught up with Mexican cartel money-laundering.
Acting: Good. In that I believe the characters. Particularly admire Ruth character, but do I believe everyone would let a teenager, without gun, push them around so much? Not really.
Plot: Reasonably believable, but:
1. I can't believe someone can have millions of dollars of cash hanging about for months without it all being quickly, violently stolen.
2. Lots of murders. Many of characters die suddenly and unexpectedly; which leads me to think many of the murders are just there to drive the tension in the plot.
Still, if one can suspend disbelief over these two aspects, the rest of it ties together.
Length: 3 seasons (of ten episodes each) with 4th season in the works.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There’s some silly leaps in this program, that are taking away from it for me. Not least the reason for being there in the first place - obviously he mentioned it to get out of being killed, but why the feck does he actually need to be laundering the money there? The guy spared him because he’s good at cleaning money, and that’s all he needs. It shouldn’t matter where it is.

And now Mr Snell has deduced that our man is on the ropes with his ‘employer’, which he’s pulled out of his arse. There’s no actual reason to think that.

On the plus side the acting is pretty much all very good.

Last edited:

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
There’s some silly leaps in this program, that are taking away from it for me. Not least the reason for being there in the first place - obviously he mentioned it to get out of being killed, but why the feck does he actually need to be laundering the money there? The guy spared him because he’s good at cleaning money, and that’s all he needs. It shouldn’t matter where it is.

And now Mr Snell has deduced that our man is on the ropes with his ‘employer’, which he’s pulled out of his arse. There’s no actual reason to think that.

Unless of course it comes out that there’s a reason for all this.
I think you might have missed some vital elements.
They ended up there because he had to think quickly when about to be killed and used the Ozarks brochure to come up with a way to convince the Drug lord at the time to let him live. The drug lord liked the idea of less Feds to interfere and the ability to be less conspicuous in a part of the country that possibly wasnt the normal sort of place for a cartel to operate. Everything flowed logically from that.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think you might have missed some vital elements.
They ended up there because he had to think quickly when about to be killed and used the Ozarks brochure to come up with a way to convince the Drug lord at the time to let him live. The drug lord liked the idea of less Feds to interfere and the ability to be less conspicuous in a part of the country that possibly wasnt the normal sort of place for a cartel to operate. Everything flowed logically from that.
I saw that bit. I forgot about the importance of the bit about there being less feds though. Guess that makes sense.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I saw that bit. I forgot about the importance of the bit about there being less feds though. Guess that makes sense.
To be fair to your initial impression, a place where the gambling industry and the opioid epidemic cross paths is exactly where you would expect the cartels (and later Feds) to be.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
To be fair to your initial impression, a place where the gambling industry and the opioid epidemic cross paths is exactly where you would expect the cartels (and later Feds) to be.
Good point, once we got there in the story it made me wonder why I hadnt heard of real life Cartels being there.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I liked season 1 but never managed to start season 2 - don't know why.

Last edited:

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I liked season 1 but never managed to start season 2 - don't know why.
Definitely recommend it. I'm picky with TV shows, and it's one of the few reasons I actually jumped the gun and bought a 4k tv during lock down. It's stunning.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedFish

On the plus side the acting is pretty much all very good.
''More coastline than the state of California,”

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
We started S2 last night :)
Glad to hear, it's slightly better than 1 according to critics, and then 3 blows them both out of the water according to the same critics. I actually liked 2 the most, I think Batemans directing as well as acting is brilliant.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Hmm, never got around to this. Maybe I'll give it a go. I think the relatively low RT scores is what made me pass initially.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm well in to the 3rd season. Picks up a lot in the 2nd.

I love how good Marty, Ruth and Wendy are at shutting people down sometimes. And the lawyer too.

Also, the therapist turning up in the supercar was :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fully caught up now. Definitely picks up season 2 onwards. The characters and acting are great. Even if some are a bit annoying at times, it’s fitting of their character

Ben was so frustrating at times. He didn’t deserve to die at all. You just wanted to shake the daft cnut.

Glad Helen got potted. A great character, and it was interesting seeing Wendy want to be more like her, but clearly not being quite as ruthless and dead inside.

Makes Ben’s death unnecessary too. Wonder if they’ll touch on that.

At the end of the day, Marty is almost always right. Wendy did want more power, and clearly wanted to get closer to Navarro, which got them in deeper.

In terms of how it’s gonna end next season - difficult to see a realistic way out. Only one I can see is the cartel being dismantled by the fbi, probably including Navarro dying. Darlene will surely die, leaving Wyatt and Ruth in charge of the farm. Wonder if they’re angling towards changing people’s view of Darlene first though. She’s a bit of an evil witch, but when you think about it, she’s not been massively in the wrong, apart from putting fentanyl in the heroin and killing her husband of course :lol:
I gasped when she shot the guy’s dick off.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Glad to hear, it's slightly better than 1 according to critics, and then 3 blows them both out of the water according to the same critics. I actually liked 2 the most, I think Batemans directing as well as acting is brilliant.
Finished S2 and S3 and both were excellent in slightly different ways.

Denis' cuff

Thought there was a new one out for a minute. Watched all these a while back. Hate having to wait for the next one, which they reckon is at least a year away, last time I checked. Not seen much else on Netflix recently that appeals. Waiting for the next Saul.... etc

Norris

Julia Garner won best supporting actress at the Emmy's. Extremely deserved imo.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Finally got around to watching this. About 4 episodes in and liking it so far. Some in the beginning of this thread were comparing this to BB, but I'm getting more of a Banshee vibe. Also, not understanding the comments about how it moves too slow, seems like it's briskly paced so far.

Great show. I probably hinged s3 too quickly though. Sometimes waiting a bit between episodes really held the experience.

promoted me to investigate when s4 is out. Looks like they are currently filming.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a31951652/ozark-season-4-release-date-netflix/

This is a really interesting article on Ozark, and talks about the challenges Bateman has with directing.

only read if you’ve seen S3. Lots of spoilers.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

Struggled to complete first season. I think it is poorly written, averagely acted out. The deaths were predictable and almost comical. And the character of Marty Byrde who can talk and get out of any situation is completely unbelievable. His acting in the role is also so bland (maybe intentional). But it does not strike as someone who can talk himself out of a death situation.

And that constant blue tint is overdone.

Overall, I don't understand the high ratings. No plans to check out season 2.