View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

FromTheBench

i think he was chosen because he is more comfortable on the ball.

I am a little worried how he will deal with Luckaku, hopefully he does well!
Dunno, about that. Thorpe is pretty comfortable on the ball himself and has played midfield very well too.

I think Mcnair was chosen because he is bigger and stronger.

Have always thought coaches didn't trust Thorpe at first team level at CB because of his lack of physical attributes slightly. Maybe LVG also sees him as a DM more, dunno.

khoazany

A couple of United fans (khoazany is one of them) have mentioned that LVG implied Thorpe was a midfielder right after the West Ham match.
He did said so and personally I don't think LVG is well-informed about our young lads (or not yet) due to his focus on the first team first to fully execute his "philosophy".Most of his knowledge about the lads seem to come from the U21s match he attended (so I don't think he know yet who is Joe Rothwell).Hopefully Thorpe will make LVG change his mind during training cause I don't see him becoming a holding midfielder long-term.Better to be Pearson.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
He did said so and personally I don't think LVG is well-informed about our young lads (or not yet) due to his focus on the first team first to fully execute his "philosophy".Most of his knowledge about the lads seem to come from the U21s match he attended (so I don't think he know yet who is Joe Rothwell).Hopefully Thorpe will make him change his mind during training cause I don't see becoming a holding midfielder long-term.Better to be Pearson.
Damn...so you're telling me there's a possibility that Thorpe was overlooked because LVG considers him a midfielder? Thats kinda funny

khoazany

Damn...so you're telling me there's a possibility that Thorpe was overlooked because LVG considers him a midfielder? Thats kinda funny
I know it sounds funny but everything LVG said and done pointed towards that conclusion.At least Thorpe is really comfortable in that position so it's not the end of the world for him yet.Has plenty of time in training to change the boss's mind as well.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He did said so and personally I don't think LVG is well-informed about our young lads (or not yet) due to his focus on the first team first to fully execute his "philosophy".Most of his knowledge about the lads seem to come from the U21s match he attended (so I don't think he know yet who is Joe Rothwell).Hopefully Thorpe will make LVG change his mind during training cause I don't see him becoming a holding midfielder long-term.Better to be Pearson.
I think you may be right but it begs the question of if he has the time to come watch a couple of the u21 matches then surely he has some time to have a chat with Joyce about the players or read some reports on them.

khoazany

I think you may be right but it begs the question of if he has the time to come watch a couple of the u21 matches then surely he has some time to have a chat with Joyce about the players or read some reports on them.
We only know one match in which he attended and you can't help but spot the pattern of every new player he promoted so far to first-team training are the one who played well in that match.Any other possible reason why Pearson/Rothwell got overlooked this week in first team training even when 3/4 of our senior CMs aren't fit enough?Funnily the match he attended is the only match since God knows how long did we play Thorpe in midfield and bench Pearson.

FromTheBench

We only know one match in which he attended and you can't help but spot the pattern of every new player he promoted so far to first-team training are the one who played well in that match.Any other possible reason why Pearson/Rothwell got overlooked this week in first team training even when 3/4 of our senior CMs aren't fit enough?Funnily the match he attended is the only match since God knows how long did we play Thorpe in midfield and bench Pearson.
Pearson was in first team training in the latest pics IIRC.

Rothwell has gone down the order with LVG though. Behind Pereira as well as Harrop now Seemingly when he was travelling with the first team squad on occasions under Moyes.

I am pretty sure LVG and his staff would have taken all reports from Joyce and other coaches and evaluated most of these players in training too as much as they can. Also Giggs would know too. For me so far it has been tough to spot any patterns though.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Do you have a link? Can't seem to find these comments and I'd really like to see them for myself.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
i think he was chosen because he is more comfortable on the ball.

I am a little worried how he will deal with Luckaku, hopefully he does well!
Lukaku generally prefers to attack on the Left. Rojo, and Shaw will have to deal with his presence.

ottosec

Lukaku generally prefers to attack on the Left. Rojo, and Shaw will have to deal with his presence.
Maybe he drifts so much wide because fullbacks are generally easier to bully physically?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
If that is true, that'd be very interesting indeed. A Daley Blind position perhaps?
Yes, he's played a lot of holding midfielder for the reserves over the last two seasons. Personally I thought it was to expand his game and improve his passing with a plan to bring him back to CB. I'm pretty sure he played CB at Birmingham on his loans last season, all 6 games (two injuries cut both loans short).

Of course a new manager is probably a big factor. He may like Thorpe's size at DM, Pearson is a bit undersized ands less experienced. He may simply like the way Thorpe plays that DM role and feels he's more needed as cover there.

I don't think I've ever read someone saying he's better in midfield than defense. But van Gaal sees things a bit differently, it seems.

In Rainbows

Pearson was in first team training in the latest pics IIRC.

Rothwell has gone down the order with LVG though. Behind Pereira as well as Harrop now Seemingly when he was travelling with the first team squad on occasions under Moyes.

I am pretty sure LVG and his staff would have taken all reports from Joyce and other coaches and evaluated most of these players in training too as much as they can. Also Giggs would know too. For me so far it has been tough to spot any patterns though.
Doubt Giggs has much knowledge on the youth players.

Litch

I fear for the lad today. He's playing against a beast of a man.....

The Red Thinker

Who's not been that good this season. Plus, we're playing at home and we ought to start asserting our presence from the start. I'm more wary of Naismith. That tricky little bugger has improved way beyond expectations this season. McNair would have to be on point to stop him.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Naismith?

Lukaku has mainly been playing from the right so far this season so it will be Shaw and Rojo who deal with him if he's there again.

Man Utd 2:1 Everton

The Red Thinker

How good has this lad been eh? Has completely marked Lukaku out apart from that one moment when Baines launched a tremendous ball that split the defence. Has not been intimidated by the strength. But, the most pleasing aspect of Paddy is that he knows just where to be at the right time. Intelligence is the name of his game.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
When David Moyes eventually gets a new job he needs to take his CBs and show them videos of this lad.

Smalling & Jones could do with a screening too :)

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Naismith?

Lukaku has mainly been playing from the right so far this season so it will be Shaw and Rojo who deal with him if he's there again.
Well you got that bang on Carl ;)

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
How good has this lad been eh? Has completely marked Lukaku out apart from that one moment when Baines launched a tremendous ball that split the defence. Has not been intimidated by the strength. But, the most pleasing aspect of Paddy is that he knows just where to be at the right time. Intelligence is the name of his game.
And also a good header. It's like watching the 'young' Evans.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Well you got that bang on Carl ;)
I'm at work so don't know where Lukaku is playing. Is it a safe assumption to make from the winky face that he's playing through the middle? :lol:

In fairness, he has played the last few games from the right...

Ekeke

Not absolutely perfect, but very solid again. Only let his man get past him on a very rare occasion.

He's been more impressive than Rojo the last couple of games and didn't look much if any worse than John Stones on the other side

Raw

I loved how he bossed the tank that is Lukaku, but he was a bit nervy near the end. Would like to see more of him.

FromTheBench

Liking him more and more in the first team.

Dealt with Lukaku pretty well today forcing them to then shift Lukaku on Rafael.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Bossed Lukaku today. Excellent performance.