View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sam

Felt for the lad, but our defenders didn't seem to have a clue what they were doing.

Ekeke

Noted that he gave the ball away too often in his early performances, today he did it 2 or 3 times before being taken off. A lack of composure. Having said that I dont think he was much more guilty of it than Rojo who was lucky it wasnt him getting taken off for the same reason.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That was the performance a lot of us were cautious of when loads of people were constantly calling for him to start and asking why Smalling and Evans should get the call ahead of him.

Crashoutcassius

Poor but tactics more or less forced him to be poor, should just hoof the ball rather than try to play out, only got caught out because he wants to play football but we don't have enough in midfield to do that

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He's made mistakes before, this is the first match that it's been costly.
Those who said there's clear light and day between him and Blackett hopefully will see that they are very similarly matched.
McNair's composure gives him the edge over Blackett for me but neither are ready for the first team.

He'll be fine.

VanGaalEra

His passing was really bad today. Feel for him, he's young and hope he doesn't let it affect him.

DevilRed

Nightmare performance. Gave away the ball and was caught on the ball too many times. Didn't help that Evans came on next to him. Smalling made a huge difference.

rio's upper lip

LvG being very honest here. Says Paddy had 'no confidence' after gifting Southampton three chances. Had no choice but to take him off.

Sid234

Glad LvG took him off, lost all his composure and cool after being forced into mistake after mistake by Soton's pushing.. We need 2 DM's, not one.. Defenders didn't have an outlet as Soton just man marked any player that the defense could have passed to, mainly Carrick. And looks like LvG has said keep long balls to a minimum, and all the defenders just kept dwelling on the ball for far too long

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He was bound to have a poor performance. It happens, especially for a 19 year old kid who wasn't even our top youth defender coming into the year.

Roboc7

He was very poor but not surprising he is nowhere near ready for the first team, luckily he hasn't coat us any points but it's clear he isn't the answer to our CB problems for at least a couple of years.

Walters_19_MuFc

Feel sorry for the lad, but can't say our other defenders look any better. We look all over the place with three at the back. Surely Van Gaal can see that.

datura

He was very poor but not surprising he is nowhere near ready for the first team, luckily he hasn't coat us any points but it's clear he isn't the answer to our CB problems for at least a couple of years.
He's done pretty well in all the other games he's played so the first part is wrong. You expect inconsistency in youngsters, it's all part of the learning process. We'll find out far more about his character in how he reacts when next selected.

Roboc7

He's done pretty well in all the other games he's played so the first part is wrong. You expect inconsistency in youngsters, it's all part of the learning process. We'll find out far more about his character in how he reacts when next selected.
Him and Blackett are only playing because of injuries, ideally they won't play much for rest of the season because neither is good enough at the moment, inconsistent performances Re to be expected but there is also a big difference between doing a good job for a few games and being good enough to play regularly. at this time he is nowhere near easy to play regularly to the level required.

datura

Him and Blackett are only playing because of injuries, ideally they won't play much for rest of the season because neither is good enough at the moment, inconsistent performances Re to be expected but there is also a big difference between doing a good job for a few games and being good enough to play regularly. at this time he is nowhere near easy to play regularly to the level required.
If you'd clarified that you meant that he's not ready to regularly I would have agreed with you. He's relatively inexperienced as a CB as was an attacking midfielder until he suddenly had a growth spurt and filled in at the back for the Academy when they had an injury crisis.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Was disappointing but he's just a 19 year old playing in an unfamiliar set-up being part of a leaky defense and shielded by a midfield which was all over the place. Hardly an environment for a developing teenager to excel in, esp in a high pressure match against a good team away.

Really should have done better with his passing though and he was deservedly taken off with the right side of defense being a liability in the early exchanges of the match. Will be a good lesson for him mentally I hope.

Boycott

I didn't think he was that bad. One glaring mistake to play in Long. Other than that it was like the Arsenal first half where he started shaky. And that's to be expected from a young player fresh in first team action, away to a talented side and in silly set up.

In a normal back 4 he's shown he's astute enough to play smartly at the back and let his decision making balance out a lack of pace. In a 3 it's ability to make swift turns which is causing everyone problems IMO.

justboy68

I liked LvG's post match interview. Very honest but also the bit about it being "just one match, just one moment in a lifetime". He will know what to do with Paddy going forward, he's seen it all before with these promising but raw youngsters.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
I liked LvG's post match interview. Very honest but also the bit about it being "just one match, just one moment in a lifetime". He will know what to do with Paddy going forward, he's seen it all before with these promising but raw youngsters.
Any link to his interview?

Grande

He made several bad choices. To be fair to him, both Evans and Rojo made the same mistakes several times in the same position. Risky passes, caught on the ball, leaving space to run in. This points toward them being casualties of van gaal's game plan and the lack of options from midfield. Young did better than valencia, and carrick better than fellaini and herrera, but all struggled, so I'd put most of the burden on van gaal's shoulders. But he has to make the decisions, and he did, and it looked scrappy, and it collected a win away against a better placed team. So in the end i guess we should laud all and scrape all more equally.

Acole9

Outstanding
Felt a bit sorry for him really. He was having a shocker but he is young and will learn from this experience hopefully.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Let's see if he can bounce back from this... my guess is yes. A setback is the perfect step for a comeback as they say

Bwuk

Still we have won every game he's started!

Felt for the lad but it had to happen. I thought he was going to wait till half time though. Had a bit of a mare. He's what, 19 though he'll learn from it. I doubt before the season started he was even expecting to play for the first team this season.

ZDwyr

Felt a bit sorry for him. Think it's time he goes back to the U/21s to get some confidence up. That is two poor games in a row. He is young though, with much time to improve. He has filled in admirably when we needed him too.

Swaters16

Thought he was okay until Smalling went off. The he sort of fell to pieces and the tactical change was needed. However while Paddy was poor, Rojo for me horrific.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He'll be fine long term, but the sub had to be done. He's done very well so far on the whole but was a bit lost out there today, got taken off before he potentially costed the team which would have been even worse for his confidence.