Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I have said a couple of times that I hadn't actually been impressed with his defending apart from against West Ham. He seems to stand off markers and let them run at him. Which would be fine if he was strong/quick but tbh most of the time he looks like a boy against men. Those saying he is better than Evans need have a word with themselves and rewatch last night's game. I see more potential in Blackett, but that is probably because he is more developed physically.
McNair was very good in the Everton match too. Dealt with Lukaku well all game and made a great block just before De Gea's brilliant save from Oveido.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I have said a couple of times that I hadn't actually been impressed with his defending apart from against West Ham. He seems to stand off markers and let them run at him. Which would be fine if he was strong/quick but tbh most of the time he looks like a boy against men. Those saying he is better than Evans need have a word with themselves and rewatch last night's game. I see more potential in Blackett, but that is probably because he is more developed physically.
So he had one bad 30 mins, lets not even talk about Evans this season. McNair has clearly been the better of the two, doesn't mean he is better. However how comes he puts in 1 bad performance and all of a sudden the knifes are out.

He played very well vs Everton and also did well vs City too, he is young and so poor performances are going to come its only natural, you just have to look at Januzaj (who has a few poor performances in his wonder season last year)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't think that he has been subbed because of his mistakes per se, i think that it was a matter of lost of confidence and the fact that our midfield was drowning.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
So he had one bad 30 mins, lets not even talk about Evans this season. McNair has clearly been the better of the two, doesn't mean he is better. However how comes he puts in 1 bad performance and all of a sudden the knifes are out.

He played very well vs Everton and also did well vs City too, he is young and so poor performances are going to come its only natural, you just have to look at Januzaj (who has a few poor performances in his wonder season last year)
Not at all, if you go back through my posts throughout this thread I have said a number of times that I have been more impressed with his ball playing ability rather than his defending (though that has even deserted him in the games against Arsenal and Southampton, again the system we played in both games is a huge cause of this). He stands off attackers and isnt quick or strong enough (yet). I am aware I am being harsh as he's only a kid but I just think you can tell he is a midfielder converted into a defender.

I have said in the Evans thread that I think I may be blinkered when it comes to him as I don't think he has been as bad as most seem to (apart from that MK Dons game which is the worst I have seen him play since West Ham in the Carling Cup. Out of all our defenders he has proven himself the most and injuries have held him back massively.

DanNistelrooy

McNair was very good in the Everton match too. Dealt with Lukaku well all game and made a great block just before De Gea's brilliant save from Oveido.
I remember Lukaku getting in behind from a couple of route 1 passes but you are correct, he handled him well - we can't forget that our goalkeeper saved us that day, we didn't defend that well. Though we are talking about an out of sorts Lukaku this season, still looks drained from the World Cup if you ask me.

FromTheBench

I think the wide 2 of our CB's in a back 3 they way we are playing it are looking poor in possession when pressed simply because their is a lack of options for them in front to pass too.

They have to either hoof it somewhere or just try and carry it forward in which case they risk losing it.

That's why i think some of the reactions are over the top. And it happens each game with almost all our CB's except the central one if he is a good athelete to cover on both sides whenever we play a back 3.

DanNistelrooy

I think the wide 2 of our CB's in a back 3 they way we are playing it are looking poor in possession when pressed simply because their is a lack of options for them in front to pass too.

They have to either hoof it somewhere or just try and carry it forward in which case they risk losing it.

That's why i think some of the reactions are over the top. And it happens each game with almost all our CB's except the central one if he is a good athelete to cover on both sides whenever we play a back 3.
You are spot on. Blackett and McNair both had this problem at the Emirates and then last night McNair, Evans and Rojo all had similar problems. I can only see that system working with players who show for the ball in midfield, maybe a trio of Herrera, Carrick and Blind. It will never, ever work with Fellaini in it

FromTheBench

I don't think that he has been subbed because of his mistakes per se, i think that it was a matter of lost of confidence and the fact that our midfield was drowning.
LVG just probably wanted Fellaini deeper with Herrera providing more dynamism as he was struggling more ahead and dropped Carrick central to distribute from the back. It didn't work much either really but think that was the thought.

Don't think Mcnair was substituted because he was the only One causing us problems. But their were more structural issues.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
LVG just probably wanted Fellaini deeper with Herrera providing more dynamism as he was struggling more ahead and dropped Carrick central to distribute from the back. It didn't work much either really but think that was the thought.

Don't think Mcnair was substituted because he was the only One causing us problems. But their were more structural issues.
Yeah, i think the same.
But someone talked about Mcnair confidence apparently Van gaal talked about it.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I don't feel sorry at all for McNair......he plays for Manchester United and not Hull City!!!!
He was terrible and it was the right decision
McNair will get another chance no doubt. He must just learn from that.

FromTheBench

LVG sure doesn't like to protect or put too much praise on individual players like SAF.

He blatantly lays the smackdown everytime whoever be the player. Sometimes even over the top(not in this case).

SAF would have just protected him, covering up of some sort even if had to take him off most likely.

Dante

Average bang
He's a kid who being asked to play a role he's probably never played before in his young life. A CB in a back 3 is very different from one in a back 2. I don't personally think he'll be good enough long term, but I'm not gonna make any final judgements based on outings in a 3-5-2.

He was terrible, though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He was out of his depth, which was bound to happen sooner or later given his lack of experience. Still, when you look at his cumulative performances, he's been quite good for a player of his age who just a few months ago wasn't even our top youth CB.

ZDwyr

LVG sure doesn't like to protect or put too much praise on individual players like SAF.

He blatantly lays the smackdown everytime whoever be the player. Sometimes even over the top(not in this case).

SAF would have just protected him, covering up of some sort even if had to take him off most likely.
I actually think he protects them well, particularly in the media. He is constantly defending his players. Perhaps McNair was an exception though.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
McNair has heard surely some nice words by Van Gaal and the coaching staff in the last weeks

We don't know what Van Gaal has said to him in the dressing room and Van Gaal was just honest about McNair's performance

Like said McNair must just learn from that match

FromTheBench

I actually think he protects them well, particularly in the media. He is constantly defending his players. Perhaps McNair was an exception though.
Hmm.. who has he defended out of turn or covered up for ? Or even over the top praised ? He even started criticizing Rafael vs Leicester when asked about the referee's decision. Last week said De Gea was just doing his job and Wilson should have scored as he does in training. Also, been blunt about Falcao and RVP recently. Before that publicly said Mata didn't give enough as a #10 and Rooney as striker. Also herrera vs WBA, Shaw and the whole being unfit and extra training thing etc.. amongst others. Even Anderson got his fitness revealed publicly. :p

I find him pretty blunt in terms of saying what he feels. Doesn't do much mind games, Bullshitting or even protective man management in the media. Even with the young players so far.

Definitely has very less filter in terms of what he feels and what he says publicly. Sometimes can be overly harsh too. Different style of personalities and management, i guess and the squad will get used to it though different personalities will take it differently.

Last edited:

ZDwyr

Hmm.. who has he defended out of turn or covered up for ? Or even over the top praised ? He even started criticizing Rafael vs Leicester when asked about the referee's decision. Last week said De Gea was just doing his job and Wilson should have scored as he does in training. Also, been blunt about Falcao and RVP recently. Before that publicly said Mata didn't give enough as a #10 and Rooney as striker. Also herrera vs WBA, Shaw and the whole being unfit and extra training thing etc.. amongst others. Even Anderson got his fitness revealed publicly. :p

I find him pretty blunt in terms of saying what he feels. Doesn't do much mind games, Bullshitting or even protective man management in the media. Even with the young players so far.

Definitely has very less filter in terms of what he feels and what he says publicly. Sometimes can be overly harsh too. Different style of personalities and management, i guess and the squad will get used to it though different personalities will take it differently.
I guess I mean the stories about the budget we'll have in January and stuff. He said it was "disrespectful" to the players he has at the moment. He said Anderson trained at a high level though too, not just criticising his fitness. He praised De Gea after the Everton game. Even in his comments last time they weren't negative. He praised him but said he can still improve.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

You can bet that Ferguson would have absolutely torn into McNair in private. van Gaal favours a different approach, there's no questioning either of the two managers approach in bringing through young players.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Mcnair has been fantastic for us this year, and if a 19 year old centreback has a bad game, i hope he puts it behind him quickly and moves on.

It is positively ludicrous for anyone to say he won't make it here. He might not, true, but he's a kid in every sense of the meaning. He has shown tremendous composure for us in previous matches and I would love it if he turned into a regular player for us.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He is extremely honest. He was poor and despite his age, he gets told exactly that. Doesnt harm imo since all our players know that LVG will look after them and work with them. If Paddy has the right attitude, he will learn how to deal with it and become stronger and better

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I'd be surprised if either Blackett/McNair make it at this club.
pleasantly?

With Rio & Vida (and Evra) departing, and with several seasons already behind them I really hoped Jones, Evans and Smalling would step up and take over the mantle. With them struggling Blackett and McNair have also been gifted a tremendous opportunity. Sadly they all seem to be falling over themselves NOT to succeed. Any combination of the above could still make it. Injuries, tinkering with formations, changes to training, and LVG "philosophy" confusing the life out of everyone, havent made it easy, I get that, but still.... you're handed the keys to the kingdom and you fumble about

I'm a striker, so defending will always be a mystery to me. I understand that its about forming partnerships and trust, and that it takes time, but still.... I expected more from the new brood.

Getsme

In all honesty as bad as he was I think Rojo was just as bad, if LVG had decided to take him off instead of McNair I don't think the reaction on his thread would have been any different.
McNair needs a few weeks/months out of the spotlight.

Getsme

I'm a striker, so defending will always be a mystery to me. I understand that its about forming partnerships and trust, and that it takes time, but still.... I expected more from the new brood.
Two middle of the road CBs who play regularly together are better for the team than two very good CBs who don't.
That's what's so frustrating about our CBs, they are all clearly talented but they can't stay injury free to form a partnership.

SammyUnited_83

Miss Fergies praise, Jones the new Duncan Edwards :lol:

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
pleasantly?

With Rio & Vida (and Evra) departing, and with several seasons already behind them I really hoped Jones, Evans and Smalling would step up and take over the mantle. With them struggling Blackett and McNair have also been gifted a tremendous opportunity. Sadly they all seem to be falling over themselves NOT to succeed. Any combination of the above could still make it. Injuries, tinkering with formations, changes to training, and LVG "philosophy" confusing the life out of everyone, havent made it easy, I get that, but still.... you're handed the keys to the kingdom and you fumble about

I agree with everything you have said. They have been given a great opportunity that not many youngsters get at their age at one of the biggest clubs in the world to try and showcase their abilities but i think it is a mix of mis-management and inexperience with these defenders - they do not seem anywhere close to being ready as of yet.

Once we get Jones/Smalling back, they should be moved back to the reserves or it could halt their progress and dent their confidence in the long term.

ravelston

In all honesty as bad as he was I think Rojo was just as bad, if LVG had decided to take him off instead of McNair I don't think the reaction on his thread would have been any different.
McNair needs a few weeks/months out of the spotlight.
McNair had 6 defensive interventions (tackles, interceptions, clearances, blocked shots, aerials won) and 72% passing; Rojo had 27 interventions and 77.8% passing. McNair has a long way to go before he's even close to Rojo.

Momochiru

I actually expected him to have a poor game. Afew his past game against Arsenal a lot has been made in the media of his tackle on Wilshire, many people including Wilshire have called it 'terrible' or worse. Many Arsenal fans have called for retroactive punishment, etc. All this got to take a toll on his confidence and I'm not surprised that LVG commented about his confidence after the match.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
McNair did look quite unsettled throughout the match. Southampton's high pressure combined with our disjointed, almost-nonexistent build-up made it difficult for McNair, and he showed his struggles with him being unsettled on the ball and not taking good positions to receive the ball. Defensively, he was average, with him being unsure about when to push out to the right channel and when to go into the middle. He also struggled to deal with Pelle's strength.

All in all, he was lacking confidence and looked nervous throughout the match. He still wasn't that leaky, defensively, but he was lacking composure on the ball, which caused us several issues in the first half. Once Evans moved to the right, we slowly became more solid, and Evans showed more composure on the ball than McNair did on the right. This will definitely be a good learning experience for him, and I hope that he uses this match to improve his game.

Loublaze

ATLien

He defended Shaw after Hodgson went to the media and said he agreed with him about Shaw's fitness.

Sid234

I dont think Van Gaal was criticizing him to be fair.. He just said what we all knew was the reason he was taken off. His only other option was to lie and say McNair had a knock and that's why he was taken off. Which still wouldn't help mask what was an error ridden performance till then. I think its a smart move by LvG to be upfront and honest about what he thought of Paddy's performance.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
McNair had 6 defensive interventions (tackles, interceptions, clearances, blocked shots, aerials won) and 72% passing; Rojo had 27 interventions and 77.8% passing. McNair has a long way to go before he's even close to Rojo.
Rojo played the whole game while McNair got taken off in the first half, so comparing their interceptions is hardly fair. Do you know how many Rojo had when McNair was replaced?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Nice touch by him but I don't see how it was a big deal to take him off against Southampton. If he's mentally strong he'll take it no problem and learn from it, it was a great decision to take him off.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Glad he got some mins. Will give him confidence. Seems a really shy kid, probably a bit star struck, needs to take some lessons from Wilson :D:lol:

Brightonian

Nice to see that from LVG, making sure being hauled off at half time isn't the last thing the kid remembers when he next starts a game for us.