5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Didn't impress me at all yesterday. Was average at best, don't really get the praise being lavished on his performance.
It's natural for fans to praise a young player when they just have an average game (nothing wrong with having an average game). Blackett was public enemy after Leicester, then McNair was put in and did well and it was immediately McNair is better than Blackett etc. Same with Wilson, he has done well enough when he has played this season but he hasn't really done anything but gets huge amounts of praise for running hard.

Again, nothing wrong with their performances, they are both doing really well, especially McNair but I agree the praise is a little over the top purely because they are youth players.

kundalini

Poor performance but managed to prevent himself from going into meltdown, as he did against Soton.

NessunDorma

Considering he wasn't even on the radar last season, I think he's done well enough to date. Playing in an unfamiliar system with several different partners, and he's looked solid enough (Southampton away apart, perhaps).

What I especially like about him is that, even though he doesn't have the biggest stature, he seems very brave and determined, and never shirks a physical battle. Reminds me of Seamus Coleman a bit in that sense. Must just be the way they raise 'em in Ireland.

Bojan11

Don't know what's happened to him. Looked calm and composed on the ball in his first few games.

Now like a nervous wreck and second to a lot of balls. Even when he tackles someone the opponent somehow still has the ball.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Seemed to panic a bit a few times which could've led to some dangerous situations, but overall he wasn't too bad.

Get In Scholesy

I like him.

However, I just feel like a proper mauling from a decent/good striker is just around the corner. Which usually happens with young defenders, but it can be beneficial as it helps them grow.

Every time he plays I wonder 'Will this be the game he gets taught a lesson?'

Did well alright today, I can't expect too much from an 18 year old Centre back, part of a team that kept a clean sheet away from home.

Sid234

He looked nervous but did make some good challenges and interceptions. Still looks to be getting adjusted to the pace of the PL, seems to get caught flat footed sometimes.

I personally think it'll do him some good to be able to sit out a few weeks and get a good rest. It's been a real baptism by fire for him, whereas Blackett has had first team experience in the championship at least and is more used to playing against much more physical teams.

He's young and still developing but we are having to depend on him too much and he doesn't look ready to be playing at this level imo and has done exceptionally well so far but I think we really need to give him a rest

Raw

I do think he's very promising and seems to be able to read the game well and make vital interceptions, but he looked so nervous today. So many stupid little passes and mistakes that I'm sure can be ironed out.

khoazany

I like him.

However, I just feel like a proper mauling from a decent/good striker is just around the corner. Which usually happens with young defenders, but it can be beneficial as it helps them grow.

Every time he plays I wonder 'Will this be the game he gets taught a lesson?'

Did well alright today, I can't expect too much from an 18 year old Centre back, part of a team that kept a clean sheet away from home.
I would argue that Costa is the only top striker in the league he hasn't come up against.Aguero and Giroud did exploit him a bit though.Despite the "shaky" look we have only conceded 1 goals with him starting in the last 2 matches and that caused by Jones's brainfart.

Sid234

I would argue that Costa is the only top striker in the league he hasn't come up against.Aguero and Giroud did exploit him a bit though.Despite the "shaky" look we have only conceded 1 goals with him starting in the last 2 matches and that caused by Jones's brainfart.
I think his nervousness has more to do with the fear of screwing up than anything else. I don't think he's mentally ready to be playing regular first team football at the moment. A rest would do him some good

Roboc7

Thought he was very poor today and lucky that none of his errors amounted to anything, lacks pace, aggression and isn't physically ready, I hope he doesn't start the next game.

Having said that I think he reads the game pretty well and has some potential and in two or three years time he might be a decent player but nowhere near ready at the moment and probably needs to go out on loan next season.

Ringo 07

He's not ready to start away to a team like Spurs but LVG obviously didn't want to take a risk on smalling to prevent an injury relapse so fair play to McNair, for a player currently miles out of his depth he has been solid.....a good defender in the making perhaps in a few years

Litch

Technically really poor, and panics too often when pressed by forwards. I cant see any potential in this lad and its only the shortage of CB's at the club why he's anywhere near the first team. Lets be honest, is he any better than other young CB's that never made it at this club who are applying their trade elsewhere? He wasn't pulling up tree's in the reserves either.....

Decotron

Technically really poor, and panics too often when pressed by forwards. I cant see any potential in this lad and its only the shortage of CB's at the club why he's anywhere near the first team. Lets be honest, is he any better than other young CB's that never made it at this club who are applying their trade elsewhere? He wasn't pulling up tree's in the reserves either.....
Thats nonsense.

How many games did he play as a centre half in the reserves???

Litch

Thats nonsense.

How many games did he play as a centre half in the reserves???
Whats nonsense, never made any reference to the amount of games? Don't remember any post on here pushing Paddy's development to the first team. I watch a lot of non-first team matches, and he was no more than steady. I stand by my assessment, technically not good enough and would be even further exposed if we were in Europe. He's not alone with the current CB's at the club....

Decotron

Whats nonsense, never made any reference to the amount of games? Don't remember any post on here pushing Paddy's development to the first team. I watch a lot of non-first team matches, and he was no more than steady. I stand by my assessment, technically not good enough and would be even further exposed if we were in Europe. He's not alone with the current CB's at the club....
So the number of actual games he played for the reserves as a centre half has no relevance at all to you saying he wasnt pulling up trees for them. Makes sense!

Here is a quote about his technical ability from someone who'd actually know...

Very technically sound player who was described by a Dutch underage coach as the most technically gifted 13 or 14 year old he had ever worked with. Was a very small attacking midfielder up until the age of 16 when he shot up in height very quickly and we moved him back to centre back. He's very good on the ball as you'd expect from a former midfielder, likes bringing the ball out of defence and a good long passer. He developed very well in the past year as he learned the role of centre back and added more aggression to his game and formed a really solid partnership with Ekangamene in the second half of last season for the under 21's. Things he needs to develop are his aerial ability and his strength although both seem to be improving.

khoazany

There is @gooDevil if I remember correctly.McNair had only half a season for the U21s before this season so obviously people thought Keane and Thorpe are more likely candidates for first team opportunities.McNair was solid and improved very fast last season (which was confirmed by Warren Joyce).

Litch

So the number of actual games he played for the reserves as a centre half has no relevance at all to you saying he wasnt pulling up trees for them. Makes sense!

Here is a quote about his technical ability from someone who'd actually know...
Seen him enough at U21 for half a season to make my assessment. Oh, someone paid money for Bebe so are we suppose to take anyone's assessment verbatim? For a player that was previously a midfielder, sorry I've seen nothing to suggest this from McNair. I had Keane and especially Thorpe in front of him, and ok the coaches are better positioned to see his ability but I've not seen anything yet to suggest different. I hope I'm proved wrong.

FromTheBench

Had couple of weak moments but overall thought he did fine today. Got through a lot of work as well.

Some harsh comments as far as i am concerned.

Gannicus

I know Paddy took a lot of stick today, but the boy looks a sensational young talent as a central defender. No, he's not Stam or Vidic yet and probably never will be, but he will complement a monster of a partner on the back line very well. Good things lie ahead for him if he can be smart about his development.

Getsme

Seen him enough at U21 for half a season to make my assessment. Oh, someone paid money for Bebe so are we suppose to take anyone's assessment verbatim? For a player that was previously a midfielder, sorry I've seen nothing to suggest this from McNair. I had Keane and especially Thorpe in front of him, and ok the coaches are better positioned to see his ability but I've not seen anything yet to suggest different. I hope I'm proved wrong.

Ekeke

By no means perfect today, but interestingly whoscored gave him an 8.14 today. 6 tackles, 6 interceptions, 8 clearances and 1 blocked shot mean he did the majority of the defensive work in the backline by a mile

Sid234

I think McNair's biggest problem at the moment is that he's not still adjusted to the pace of the Premier League and at times is nervous because he's scared of making mistakes.. He went from Reserve team football to first team football very quickly, and that's tough for a player who's also learning a new position. Going from AMC to CB is not an easy thing to learn I'm sure. He has the talent and technical ability to be an excellent ball playing CB, I think right now he needs a break from 1st team football. Hopefully Jones, Evans and Smalling can remain fit for a while now.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He had a Smalling'esque performance, I think pure defensively he was solid, some good tackles, interceptions, defensive headers, on the ball he was shaky tho. The lad is still 19 but he clearly has potential. The who scores rating confirms my view I got of him. I wouldnt mind a loan, if he gets to play at a PL frequently he can become top notch, also looks like the defender who is class with few space behind him.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
By no means perfect today, but interestingly whoscored gave him an 8.14 today. 6 tackles, 6 interceptions, 8 clearances and 1 blocked shot mean he did the majority of the defensive work in the backline by a mile
I noticed this, at the same time I can't stop being terrified whenever he's got major defensive work to do or gets put under a tiny bit of pressure on the ball.

His reading of the game is actually quite good I'm realizing, but he lacks aggression and a bit of physicality.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
You were saying that he deserves to feature in pre-season or something like that.
I do rate McNair, however it was Thorpe who I was hoping would get big minutes. I don't remember if I called for McNair to get preseason minutes or not, honestly.

McNair had, what, half a season with the U21s, with a short midfielder as his partner? He looked very good and the team defense was strong. Then we go and release his partner Ekangamene after that summer, so apparently the coaches felt it was McNair holding down the defense.

I think Thorpe is pretty good, though even a top youth player is unlikely to make it with the first team of course. I think it's odd he's not gotten any chance at CB for us, and instead got a look at midfield, but I'm sure there's a good reason.

It's so hard to tell with these kids sometimes, I'd like to think McNair would make it, but the standard we're looking for is higher than ever. Evans looked better at his age, but we've all seen how that's no guarantee.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I noticed this, at the same time I can't stop being terrified whenever he's got major defensive work to do or gets put under a tiny bit of pressure on the ball.

His reading of the game is actually quite good I'm realizing, but he lacks aggression and a bit of physicality.
At this level he absolutely lacks aggression and physicality. I'm sure they've got him in the weight room every day, though.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Still way to much analysis over his game. He wasn't great but he did his job and in a tough game like that, not much more can be asked of him.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Had couple of weak moments but overall thought he did fine today. Got through a lot of work as well.

Some harsh comments as far as i am concerned.
I agree. He was a standout for me, and to think how little experience he has, I really have high hopes for him.

Loublaze

ATLien
He had a Smalling'esque performance, I think pure defensively he was solid, some good tackles, interceptions, defensive headers, on the ball he was shaky tho. The lad is still 19 but he clearly has potential. The who scores rating confirms my view I got of him. I wouldnt mind a loan, if he gets to play at a PL frequently he can become top notch, also looks like the defender who is class with few space behind him.
A tired generalization of Chris Smalling's game. His distribution has been top notch this season and he's been great on the ball.

khoazany

I do rate McNair, however it was Thorpe who I was hoping would get big minutes. I don't remember if I called for McNair to get preseason minutes or not, honestly.

McNair had, what, half a season with the U21s, with a short midfielder as his partner? He looked very good and the team defense was strong. Then we go and release his partner Ekangamene after that summer, so apparently the coaches felt it was McNair holding down the defense.

I think Thorpe is pretty good, though even a top youth player is unlikely to make it with the first team of course. I think it's odd he's not gotten any chance at CB for us, and instead got a look at midfield, but I'm sure there's a good reason.

It's so hard to tell with these kids sometimes, I'd like to think McNair would make it, but the standard we're looking for is higher than ever. Evans looked better at his age, but we've all seen how that's no guarantee.
Tbf if he turns out to be another Evans that's not really a worst thing in this world.Evans had couple of good seasons for us.

NoPace

Considering he looks even younger than his age out there somehow, he's performing quite well. Hopefully he'll emerge as a physically transformed player as happens often enough with 19 year olds.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Yikes, that's some harsh words after a perfectly fine performance :lol: I think he looks better as the CB in a back 5, where he is staying back most of the time and letting Jones/Evans burst forward. If he keeps developing, he'll be a very good CB in a few years.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Can understand criticism of his defending but "technically really poor"? That's just nonsense.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
He is good at football but not very good at the physical aspect of the sport.

Last edited: