Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Joemo

whistling in the wind
How did he get ahead of Thorpe in the pecking order? Im curious
LVG must really see something in him, because before his debut it was barely plausible that he'd debut before Thorpe. I think it's a good sign, there must be something about him that LVG really rates and wants to work with.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Laughable also considering how inconsistent or at times downright shite Smalling/Jones/Evans have been this season when they've played.

Blackett and McNair have essentially a free pass from me given their age but McNair has impressed me just as much as any of our centre backs.
It's not laughable when you've got exactly those players to compare to. Remind yourself at how good Jones and Smalling were at that age. What kind of performance they were capable of, Jones especially. Jones played 28 PL games when he was younger than them. He was frankly better than them. McNair has been good but Jones was better. Injuries have not been kind to him but those two need to make a big progress to get to his standard.

It's not unreasonable to make guess work at this stage. After all, it's only guesswork. If someone would ask me I'd have to guess that neither of them are future starters for Man. United but to be fair, that's a very easy guess to make as the odds are stacked against them. Evans is 26 now and has only been a starter in his United career because of injuries. He's never been first choice. So if they end up being as good as Evans then they'd still only be good enough as backups.

I'm just happy that he's doing well. Maybe he's going to be the kind of a new generation of CB's. Started out as a MC but was moved back. Comfortable on the ball. There aren't many CB's like Vidic or Rio in sight so he might just be this new kind of breed of player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The thing I like so far, is the fact he never seem's flustered. Jones still has that body language or panic at times, and I have noticed Blackett dithers too long and then ends up getting rushed too. Mcnair though just has that air of calmness which I think is important, especially in a vital role like a CB.

ricky-romeo

The thing I like so far, is the fact he never seem's flustered. Jones still has that body language or panic at times, and I have noticed Blackett dithers too long and then ends up getting rushed too. Mcnair though just has that air of calmness which I think is important, especially in a vital role like a CB.
got to agree with you about his calmness. sometimes he does hoof the ball unnecessarily under no pressure but he does look calm most of the time.

Ekeke

How did he get ahead of Thorpe in the pecking order? Im curious
Probably due to him being good vs. longer balls and making clearances, while Thorpe is a little bit short. LVG has mentioned lots of times that its difficult to defend against longballs and when we have injuries at the back and need to bring kids in, its only going to get harder. But Paddy has been one of our best at defending against them this season

Loublaze

ATLien
Probably due to him being good vs. longer balls and making clearances, while Thorpe is a little bit short. LVG has mentioned lots of times that its difficult to defend against longballs and when we have injuries at the back and need to bring kids in, its only going to get harder. But Paddy has been one of our best at defending against them this season
He's 6'2! His official stats are outdated, they say he's 6'1. McNair's stats say he's 5'8 but he's at least 6'0 now.

Ekeke

He's 6'2! His official stats are outdated, they say he's 6'1. McNair's stats say he's 5'8 but he's at least 6'0 now.

Well thats that then. I certainly didnt expect him to be that tall

Still my point is that McNair has been one of our best clearing longer balls. It doesnt really matter if Thorpe is 7'4, if McNair is doing better dealing with them then he's doing better and I guess LVG is in the best place to judge who is doing it better.

Loublaze

ATLien
Well thats that then. I certainly didnt expect him to be that tall

Still my point is that McNair has been one of our best clearing longer balls. It doesnt really matter if Thorpe is 7'4, if McNair is doing better dealing with them then he's doing better and I guess LVG is in the best place to judge who is doing it better.
Alright. McNair just popped out of nowhere for me, never heard of him before he got called up.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Ramos is a pretty good defender. I'm sure he wasn't idolizing his red cards.
He said if he could pick his favourite defenders of all times he would pick Ramos and Rio.
Ramos isn't really good defender, but even if he is, you can surely agree that there were dozens of better ones to pick out even in last ten years.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He said if he could pick his favourite defenders of all times he would pick Ramos and Rio.
Ramos isn't really good defender, but even if he is, you can surely agree that there were dozens of better ones even in last ten years.
McNair's history probably doesn't go back more than 4-5 years, during which Ramos has been quite good.

Ozio

Ramos isn't really good defender, but even if he is, you can surely agree that there were dozens of better ones to pick out even in last ten years.
Seriously, don't let the red cards fool you. He's better than you give him credit for.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Seriously, don't let the red cards fool you. He's better than you give him credit for.
I've watched him more than enough to say he is average defender who is considered to be good mostly because of his abilities on the ball.

McNair's history probably doesn't go back more than 4-5 years, during which Ramos has been quite good.
He really wasn't, but OK, we have different opinions on Ramos.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've watched him more than enough to say he is average defender who is considered to be good mostly because of his abilities on the ball.

He really wasn't, but OK, we have different opinions on Ramos.
He's not the most likeable guy, but he is a very good defender. I'm sure McNair is more interested in the latter.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If anything, it's rather refreshing his idols are players in a similar-ish mould to him. I'd agree and say I'd prefer a Ramos or Rio over a 18 yard clogger.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Surely he's heard about other greats, like Baresi, Maldini, Nesta?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Dunno why dude's getting so worked up over McNair's opinion TBH. He likes Romos ? Big deal, maybe he intends on mimicking Ramos' effortless ability in possession, which is extremely good for a defensive player, or his extroverted passion for the game.

As an example Lionel Messi idolized Aimar, hardly the greatest player in the world, was considered a letdown in Valencia and is currently playing in the Malaysian League.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/detail/article/aimar-messi-s-childhood-idol

That's what's wrong with footballers of the mid 2000s ?

Surely he's heard about other greats, like Baresi, Maldini, Nesta?
Maybe he wants to formulate his own opinion, based around players he's observed, than rely on hearsay in a display of name-dropping. Or maybe he's a hipster, and doesn't subscribe to conformity wrt the established order.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If anything, it's rather refreshing his idols are players in a similar-ish mould to him. I'd agree and say I'd prefer a Ramos or Rio over a 18 yard clogger.
I wouldn't say Ramos and Rio are very alike myself.

Ekeke

I'm sure he just likes Ramos' goalscoring ability and some of the things he's done on the ball, something that McNair as a former attacking player can model his own game on

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Maybe he wants to formulate his own opinion, based around players he's observed, than rely on hearsay in a display of name-dropping. Or maybe he's a hipster, and doesn't subscribe to conformity wrt the established order.
I like your second theory better. Anywho, he could model himself as Robert Huth for all I care, as long as he comes good.

LR7

He hasn't even played at CB for that long so probably wasnt modelling his game on defenders at all tbh growing up. Not sure why people are getting worked up.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I didn't say "Kill him because he likes Ramos!", ffs, it's just stupid that someone has Ramos as his favourite defender of all times.

:lol:

Yep, that's exactly what's wrong with football,,,
You don't think it's sad that Ramos is considered as one of the best defenders in the world year by year?

Last edited:

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
He's not the most likeable guy, but he is a very good defender. I'm sure McNair is more interested in the latter.
Ramos is a very 'modern' defender. Personally I don't think there's a single centre back currently playing at the top level that gets anywhere near the legends of the 90's and 00's (the latter for me ending with the decline of Rio + Vidic). Defensively speaking of course. Centre backs at the top level are geared more to being surrogate CM's these days, in my opinion of course. Granted you'll have a few that play with a more classic style but ball playing seems to be an important attribute now rather than halfway down the checklist.