View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

FromTheBench

I think Welbeck had moments against him when he was pulled out wide with Valencia forwards. That would happen less likey so in a 2 man defense though i agree his lack of pace is a drawback but it's less important playing in a 2 than one of the wide CB's in a 3.

Ekeke

I also dont think he has a lack of pace, its just Welbeck is fast and the majority of our CBs are fast for CBs.

Its also a positioning and contact thing. A more experienced McNair will learn A) not to be in the same position where Welbeck skinned him and B) that as soon as someone does that to him, he has to put his hands on the player and try to get alongside him and make a tackle. Make a foul even to stop him getting away. He can't let him accelerate away and get his head up.

You dont have to be as fast as the forward, you just need to learn how to stop him getting to full speed without making an obvious foul

SambaBoy

Seems like he gets caught out by pace too frequently. Most people will say "well X is quicker than most players" but it's his positioning or awareness that highlights this error. Welbeck was always going to come inside, McNair should of ran in a straight line and positioned himself to defend instead of being attracted to the ball and trying to match Welbeck for pace.

His defending in terms of being turned by an attacker is excellent, he stands up well and anticipates the danger. In contrast Blackett is the complete opposite, if someone knocked it 20-30 strides in front and tried to beat him, he would most likely do a good job but in close corners he gets beaten too easily either going to ground or getting done by a drop of the shoulder.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I'd definitely be concerned about his physique because Welbeck found it piss-easy to hold him off any time they matched up against each other and he's not very quick. He's been reasonably solid so far, certainly more so than Blackett and probably Rojo too but I haven't been that impressed by him besides the fact he's very mature for his age.
He's only 19 to be fair so I'm sure he'll fill out. Shaw is a bit of an exception in the fact that he's a 19 year old built like a 25 year old.

Considering he doesn't really have the frame of a CB yet, or much experience, he's sure been doing an impressive job. The future looks bright for this lad.

P.s. just noticed these 2 were born in 1995... feck me I feel old.

MDFC Manager

I also dont think he has a lack of pace, its just Welbeck is fast and the majority of our CBs are fast for CBs.

Its also a positioning and contact thing. A more experienced McNair will learn A) not to be in the same position where Welbeck skinned him and B) that as soon as someone does that to him, he has to put his hands on the player and try to get alongside him and make a tackle. Make a foul even to stop him getting away. He can't let him accelerate away and get his head up.

You dont have to be as fast as the forward, you just need to learn how to stop him getting to full speed without making an obvious foul
He's certainly not slow. I don't know where that's coming from

Sparky Rhiwabon

Looks quite the player. Deserves to keep his place on merit. He's only going to get better if he's played every game.

Acole9

Outstanding
Probably the best out of the three at the back. No worries about the fact we're playing this lad as he's gone about his job without any fuss.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Am I the only one who thought he went to sleep for the Giroud goal? He had plenty time to recover to shield him or block the shot once the ball arrived over his shoulder.

ZDwyr

It's hard to tell if he is slow or just because he was up against Welbeck. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I watch more of him though. Thought he was decent, very composed for his age though.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Am I the only one who thought he went to sleep for the Giroud goal? He had plenty time to recover to shield him or block the shot once the ball arrived over his shoulder.
I think it was more Carrick's fault for letting him in behind like that. McNair would have had to hurl himself to try and get a block which imo wouldn't be a good move as I don't think most players would have even shot one time like that. He did kind of slow up and look over toward the linesman but I still don't think he could have made it. Its an unbelievable fecking goal from Giroud though. You'd be luck to score that 1 time out of 100.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Lack of pace is a concern. Any centre half who cannot get close to catching Olivier Giroud from a ball over the top will likely not be good enough.

If Smalling was on that side, that goal doesn't get scored.

SirFergie

Probably the best out of the three at the back. No worries about the fact we're playing this lad as he's gone about his job without any fuss.
He wasn't as Smalling was but he's done well when put in for an inexperienced lad. He was at fault for the Giroud goal though. I can forgive him for that though due to his age and naivety.

Smores

One arguable mistake from a very promising and inexperienced CB and the tide turns from praise to questioning whether he'll ever be united standard.

Typical

FromTheBench

I think re the Giroud goal from both and Carrick it was just complacency if anything.

2-0 up in the 5th minute of stoppage time and us looking more likely to score on the counter if anything, i think they switched off slightly and were like let him have a volley from a position where 1 out of 100 would get scored if anything.

OneUnited24

I think re the Giroud goal from both and Carrick it was just complacency if anything.

2-0 up in the 5th minute of stoppage time and us looking more likely to score on the counter if anything, i think they switched off slightly and were like let him have a volley from a position where 1 out of 100 would get scored if anything.
I particularly liked how they turned to each other to share a moment before realising Giroud might score

Minimalist

Thought he was comfortably our best centre back yesterday. Seems to have more potential than say Blackett (who I thought was decent enough too.)

He's probably our most dependable (least likely to make a balls up) centre back we have in general. Amazing he's only started playing this position in the recent year.

Red_toad

Caught out of position & for pace a few times. Smalling was far better, not sure what game you were watching, better than Blackett, but in no way the best out of the 3 centre backs.

jem

Looked nervous but I like him. He will be very good when he matures.
This is the thing. When you get past all the grand pronouncements about his either being disappointing or the next big thing, what becomes apparent is that we have a future prospect to be excited about, which is one of the joys of being a fan.

Tompo

A bit worried about his pace, but he is only 19 and as a fellow countryman I hope he goes on to great things.

Mainoldo

No one seems to ever worry about Hummel's pace why we all so concerned about McNair? Fact players aren't all quick... His only 19 and looks like a player that loves to defend lets just hope he matures. To me he seems like a player with a bright future.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No one seems to ever worry about Hummel's pace why we all so concerned about McNair? Fact players aren't all quick... His only 19 and looks like a player that loves to defend lets just hope he matures. To me he seems like a player with a bright future.
Perhaps because Hummels doesn't play for us, hence people not concerned about his pace every minute.

Also, getting left in a foot race by Olivier Giroud is pretty unacceptable at this level. He's amongst the slowest centre forwards in the league, and he jogged away from McNair to score.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Perhaps because Hummels doesn't play for us, hence people not concerned about his pace every minute.

Also, getting left in a foot race by Olivier Giroud is pretty unacceptable at this level. He's amongst the slowest centre forwards in the league, and he jogged away from McNair to score.
95th minute, Giroud was fresh, McNair had put in a real shift all game.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
4 wins out of 4 when he's played :)

But he cost De Goat the clean sheet on Saturday :(

If he can apply those concentration levels for the full game then he can develop into a very good player, made some excellent blocks and tackles and deserves to keep his place in the team.

khoazany

There're tons of slow forwards who are nightmares of defenders.That goal is more of a miscommunication between McNair and Carrick + a bit poor positioning + a bit complacency due to the lead + Giroud just came on and was in full energy.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Watch him wilt when he hits 22-24 like all our young center backs.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
He shows promise, and looks so calm out there a lot of the time. Though his positioning last night along with our other CB wasn't that great. Though that could be partly down to switching back to three at the back and the overall lack of a leader at the back to give them real structure. I prefer him to Blackett right now, and feel he should keep the spot if neither of our regular CB are fit next week and we go back to two at the back.

LLMU

To be 19 and playing like 5 games in his Premier League career and showed the kind of promise is really something special.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Against Arsenal, he showed that he's not really used to playing at 3 at the back. His bad positioning indicated his struggle with that role, and he looks more comfortable when we're playing 2 at the back. It was promising to see him play more aggressively as central defenders should in a back 3; it shows that he can adapt his game to different formations. However, his lack of experience did tell against Arsenal with some of his bad positions and the manner that he switched off for Giroud's goal (though it seemed as if he thought Giroud was offside).

He also struggled against Welbeck's pace (understandably so; even top central defenders struggle against Welbeck for that reason). Also, a few times during the second half, he covered the exact same area Smalling was, forcing Valencia to come inside and cover McNair's area.

He may be very promising as a central defender, but he still has quite a bit to learn. However, throwing him in the deep end against Arsenal is a great experience from him, and this should help him really develop as a central defender.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
For expensive and/or experienced first teamers like Rojo, Jones and Evans to leak goals against the likes of Leicester and MK Dons, to come in and keep City and Arsenal down to one apiece is very good indeed. Yes i'm bending those stats how i see fit, so what? I like the lad.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I still don't think you can blame him too much for that Giroud goal. Giroud comes across Smalling onto Carrick and Carrick just allows him in past him. Carrick should have done a better job at tracking him and he didn't try very hard to catch back up either. McNair was a few steps ahead, Welbeck was drifting in front so probably being aware of him, and had no chance of catching Giroud once the ball was already over. He slows down slightly and looks over to the linesman which is stupid but he isn't catching Giroud anyway. To top it all off it is an absolutely unbelievable goal, it is crazy to even attempt that shot let alone score it.

reelworld

I still don't think you can blame him too much for that Giroud goal. Giroud comes across Smalling onto Carrick and Carrick just allows him in past him. Carrick should have done a better job at tracking him and he didn't try very hard to catch back up either. McNair was a few steps ahead, Welbeck was drifting in front so probably being aware of him, and had no chance of catching Giroud once the ball was already over. He slows down slightly and looks over to the linesman which is stupid but he isn't catching Giroud anyway. To top it all off it is an absolutely unbelievable goal, it is crazy to even attempt that shot let alone score it.
Yeah, that's my take as well. Giroud caught Carrick off guard, and he hit an unbelievable shot the second the ball reached him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Got skinned by Welbeck far too easily that one time and looked nervous at the start, but did well overall.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I'm not really sure what the fuss is about. He's pretty average and he doesn't have the physical gifts that Blackett has. If you could combine the two, that'd be some prospect.