View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

FromTheBench

Not convinced by him or Blackett tbh. Both look very shaky in possession and both were lucky at times not to give the ball away in key areas.
Arsenal were pressing and there was no outlet thanks to the system. Needed sm1 in back 3 to not just pass but drive into midfield which is risky.

Also having Smalling central doesn't help. He passed it sideways to them only and then even Midfielders and fullbacks kept passing it back which meant they had to force the pass under pressure.

Mcnair particularly struggled with this at times and so did Blackett with his dodgy back passes. But when they have time both are decent on the ball better than Smalling certainly.

Ole240599

Looks like a footballer this boy, cool and composed (despite some nervous moments today). Has a big chance to make it.

Sam

I really really like him, you can just tell he knows how to defend.

As Rio would say 'He can smell the danger'.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Not sure why he's getting critcism.

I thought Smalling and McNair hardly put a foot wrong. Blackett on the other hand...

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Arsenal were pressing and there was no outlet thanks to the system. Needed sm1 in back 3 to not just pass but drive into midfield which is risky.

Also having Smalling central doesn't help. He passed it sideways to them only and then even Midfielders and fullbacks kept passing it back which meant they had to force the pass under pressure.

Mcnair particularly struggled with this at times and so did Blackett with his dodgy back passes. But when they have time both are decent on the ball better than Smalling certainly.
I dunno mate. I think we have a habit of getting excited about youth players who are only drafted in as emergencies to cover for injuries. I'm not holding out much hope of McNair consistently appearing in the side. He was superb against West Ham but I think of an incident today like when (can't remember what minute) Valencia fires it at his feet in our half and he miscontrols and Arsenal get a dangerous counter attack on at 1-0. Doesn't inspire confidence.

Mad Winger

Very mature for his age. Made a couple of good interceptions, and had the confidence to run with the ball like a proper modern CB.

I want to see him next to Smalling from now on, until we sign better CBs.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I thought he was good.

Only slight criticisms:

- He was a bit flat footed at times and Arsenal looked dangerous in the first half with their through balls in between the CBs to their pacey forwards.
- A few times he pointlessly ventured really far forwards for no particular reason, and pretty much got in the way and on another day we could have been caught out on the counter. Given how shit we were defensively I would have much preferred him to just hold his position.

DevilRed

I thought he was good.

Only slight criticisms:

- He was a bit flat footed at times and Arsenal looked dangerous in the first half with their through balls in between the CBs to their pacey forwards.
- A few times he pointlessly ventured really far forwards for no particular reason, and pretty much got in the way and on another day we could have been caught out on the counter. Given how shit we were defensively I would have much preferred him to just hold his position.
Yes he did get caught out by welbeck on one occasion. Not really a crime though as welbeck is quicker than most players.

Other than that he is so composed on the ball unlike blackett who seems to panic.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Played well in new system (3 CB) against one of the best teams away. First half wasn't that good. Second half, seems like he's instructed to step up from flat 3 CB if needed to close down opponent; which is the way it should be on 3-man CB (as opposed to 2 CB system, which the CB has to hold the line with his partner).

A bit fault for Giroud's goal, but I put it as lack of experience against top class Striker; who could make a good strike even from that position.

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
He's a shiny diamond in a heap of muck as far as our defence goes. Fair play to him, automatically one of our best CB's now.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Yes he did get caught out by welbeck on one occasion. Not really a crime though as welbeck is quicker than most players.

Other than that he is so composed on the ball unlike blackett who seems to panic.
And Sanchez caused him problems early doors too. I don't know if it was the CBs individually or fault of it was just an organization thing.

Also the Giroud goal too, although I'm not sure if that was Carrick or McNair as I was too busy screaming and swearing.

Patchbeard

I thought he was good.

Only slight criticisms:

I think it's his natural game to get forward now and again, considering he used to be a midfielder for the youth teams, and generally this should be encouraged in a back 3. Scored a great goal in the last minute to beat Reading and reach the U21 play-offs last season, from a run forward and shot from outside the box. Was a little surprised to see him near their box towards the end of the game today mind, there's a time to just sit and not leave space at the back!

Get In Scholesy

And Sanchez caused him problems early doors too. I don't know if it was the CBs individually or fault of it was just an organization thing.

Also the Giroud goal too, although I'm not sure if that was Carrick or McNair as I was too busy screaming and swearing.
I think it was McNair, he thought Giroud was offside so he kinda treaded off the pace looking at the linesman hoping he's raise his flag. A bit of mental breakdown there but he had a great game nonetheless.

DevilRed

I personally thought it was more an organization/tactical shape thing. It seemed at times we left our back three wide open to be run at by the likes of sanchez and wilshere. Any defender would struggle in that scenario let alone a teenager.

Regardless, he showed a lot of composure and fits in well with our team philosophy of having defenders who are comfortable on the ball.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's been plunged into some very hostile situations against players like Sanchez and others, and has maintained his cool throughout. Van Gaal obviously saw something in him to leapfrog him over Thorpe. We've won every game he's started, so he should continue .

Revan

Assumptionman
I thought he was good. He doesn't give me the impression of awesome which the likes of Varane for example gave me when I saw him playing on the first season (and dare I say, our very own Chriss Smalling) but he has been very good on these 4 matches. Has a very good position awareness which in my opinion is the most important thing for a defender. Today he was very good, despite that time when Welbeck beat him with speed.

I think that he shouldn't be considered a backup/cover option. He should challenge our senior defender (if they ever get fit) for a place on the first team. He has been better and more consistent that any of them. Right now, would be unfair if he got benched just because one of Evans/Jones/Rojo get fit. He should keep his place if he continues playing like this.

It's hard to know if a young player will make it here, but Paddy surely has the right tools.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I'm struggling to think of an incident where he's put a foot out of place. That's saying something considering some of the teams he's played.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He has played against the likes of Aguero, Welbeck, Giroud in tough situations and yet apart from being turned over by Yaya Toure, I can't recall one incident where he has let the team down.

Devil may care

He had a couple of dodgy moments early on as he got used to the 3 man line, but grew into the game and never makes a stupid lunge in a dangerous area.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
I'm impressed with him. These matches have been a great experience for him and Blackett. However, I think expectations will rise once injury problems are overcome and players settle to van gaal's system. Blackett might need another year to settle but McNair looks like he could make the rise earlier.

Cathy Ferguson

I'm very impressed by this guy, and he rarely makes mistakes. He is calm and assured and he can bring the ball out of defence even though he might lack a bit of pace. I have my doubts over Blackett but McNair is one for the future and he is still only 19 which is very young for a CB.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Been impressed by him and it can't be easy playing in a defense thats changing by the game.

Dion

Don't think he does enough for a 2 man defence to play there regularly but in a 3 man defence you need people who aren't going to drop clangers every 20 minutes so it should suit him.

datura

Nice to see a bit more aggression from him today (excluding the Wilshere challenge). Given that he was an attacking midfielder until about 2 years ago, he's really come on well. Not yet convinced that he's got enough to be a regular starter in the years to come, but he's definitely making a good impression. Good to see the NI connection still bearing fruit.

togg

not sure why anyone would criticse him. He shouldn't be playing in this game, but has to because of the massive injuries. Thought he equipped himself really well considering the massive experience of the opposition. This will do him the world of good.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Probably going to be in the minority here but I don't think his defending is that great but that is mostly down to him being slower and weaker than most strikers. Needs to be a bit stronger but he has done well.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'd definitely be concerned about his physique because Welbeck found it piss-easy to hold him off any time they matched up against each other and he's not very quick. He's been reasonably solid so far, certainly more so than Blackett and probably Rojo too but I haven't been that impressed by him besides the fact he's very mature for his age.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Despite total lack of experience it's a win situation for him. How on earth he's gonna learn if we won't trust him like today and won't let him gain knowledge and Premier League experience ?

Of course he's gonna make mistakes, that's the part of the process. Stepping up from deep reserves and already taking responsibility as big as De Gea's or Di Maria's is a serious challenge even for elite football talents.

Ekeke

Welbeck had a couple of good moments against him, but thats what you'd expect of a striker Arsenal paid £16 million for against a kid with a couple of first team games under his belt. He will have learned a lot from this game and will be better next time