5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Loublaze

ATLien
I'd much rather see McNair start again than see Blackett reinstated.
After one game? LOL

Blackett has played in two games where we kept clean sheets. Where was your praise then? If Everton and Lukaku, who are better than West Ham, rape the young McNair what are you going to say then?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
After one game? LOL

Blackett has played in two games where we kept clean sheets. Where was your praise then? If Everton and Lukaku, who are better than West Ham, rape the young McNair what are you going to say then?
Since I know them both well my opinion is the same before this summer as it is right now, unsurprisingly. McNair is a much better CB than Blackett.

If you want to check I did nothing but warn people about how extremely raw Blackett is at CB. He's not ready, imo.

Gannicus

What a brilliant debut performance!

But what a balls out decision by Louis to start the lad. Had it gone tits up, Louis could have been facing some very harsh criticism here on the caf.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Since I know them both well my opinion is the same before this summer as it is right now, unsurprisingly. McNair is a much better CB than Blackett.

If you want to check I did nothing but warn people about how extremely raw Blackett is at CB. He's not ready, imo.
Agreed. I see Blackett as the better in 3 man CB, but McNair in 2 CB system. If that even make sense. I think Blackett is better in linking up the defence and midfield, but not as pure CB as McNair. But those just based on both short cameo, though. Never seen them in Reserve or other levels.

YzWayne

I am impressed by his defensive capabilities, especially with that header.

However, I do noticed he is not as quick as Blackett. He seems to be lack of pace and strength but that can be improved when he is only 19.

Loublaze

ATLien

I think its clear LVG rates Blackett above the other youth CBs, playing five full games and all. Its a good thing we have some eye catching youngsters on the come up in that position. Three of our senior CBs are a waste of space.

Loublaze

ATLien
I am impressed by his defensive capabilities, especially with that header.

However, I do noticed he is not as quick as Blackett. He seems to be lack of pace and strength but that can be improved when he is only 19.
He had a good outing, but he'd really struggle against the speed and strength of Lukaku. Valencia of West Ham raped him for speed a few times and im surprised West Ham didn't press on that advantage more.

Longlivekeano

Play both McNair and Blackett when he's back. Nothing that Smalling, Evans or Rojo has done to deserve a starting spot

Loublaze

ATLien
Agreed. I see Blackett as the better in 3 man CB, but McNair in 2 CB system. If that even make sense. I think Blackett is better in linking up the defence and midfield, but not as pure CB as McNair. But those just based on both short cameo, though. Never seen them in Reserve or other levels.
We should be careful not to jump the gun after just one good game (or even after one bad). Before our 25 minute capitulation against Leicester Blackett was playing very well. He has become a scapegoat now. I wonder what people will say about McNair if he doesn't repeat the West Ham performance. So much pressure.

Loublaze

ATLien
Play both McNair and Blackett when he's back. Nothing that Smalling, Evans or Rojo has done to deserve a starting spot
You don't think Rojo has started relatively well despite the circumstances he's been faced with? New to this league, playing alongside different players every game.

Getsme

He had a good outing, but he'd really struggle against the speed and strength of Lukaku. Valencia of West Ham raped him for speed a few times and im surprised West Ham didn't press on that advantage more.
Blackett and Rojo couldn't cope with Vardy.

Loublaze

ATLien
Blackett and Rojo couldn't cope with Vardy.
They are both quicker than McNair, so there's no telling how he would've coped with Vardy. Blackett looked impressive against quality players in preseason so at least we know something about his ability to cope (more importantly LVG does).

Getsme

They are both quicker than McNair, so there's no telling how he would've coped with Vardy. Blackett looked impressive against quality players in preseason so at least we know something about his ability to cope (more importantly LVG does).
Blackett has also looked terrible against average players. There is no saying how McNair will cope against a strong fast player, you are basing your assumption on nothing.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Blackett has also looked terrible against average players. There is no saying how McNair will cope against a strong fast player, you are basing your assumption on nothing.
Valencia did give him a run around when he was 1v1 with McNair which wasn't very reassuring.

Loublaze

ATLien
Based on nothing? I said he was raped for speed by Valencia of West Ham a couple of times during the game. Blackett has played twice when we had clean sheets against QPR and Burnley, I never saw much praise for him after those games except that he was up against 'average' players.

Getsme

Valencia did give him a run around when he was 1v1 with McNair which wasn't very reassuring.
Indeed, Im not saying he wont have a game on his hands just that Blackett and Rojo were both terrible when faced with the speed and strength of Vardy. McNair played very well and should keep his place IMO.

Skills

Snitch
Surely he's more suited to deal with Lukaku than Blackett? I haven't seen anything from Blackett that makes me think he could deal with Lukaku. Has anyone seen him win a header yet so far this season?

Loublaze

ATLien
Surely he's more suited to deal with Lukaku than Blackett? I haven't seen anything from Blackett that makes me think he could deal with Lukaku. Has anyone seen him win a header yet so far this season?
He was pretty dominant in the air against Leicester before the meltdown. He's strong in the air. Did you even see him in preseason?

Getsme

Based on nothing? I said he was raped for speed by Valencia of West Ham a couple of times during the game. Blackett has played twice when we had clean sheets against QPR and Burnley, I never saw much praise for him after those games except that he was up against 'average' players.
So was Blackett and Rojo when playing against Vardy, that’s my point. Why are you ignoring that? A player who has pace was outpaced and outthought on a regular occurrence by an average player.
I’m not saying Blackett is a bad player, he isn’t. However McNair has done nothing wrong in my eyes to be dropped. As for the clean sheets, yep, however he was also part of the defence that conceded 4 goals within 30 minutes. His confidence will be low.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
And let the hype begins. The same hype which linked Jones with Duncan Edwards, made Wallwork the new Steve Bruce and placed Smalling and Evans as imminent successors for Rio and Vidic.

Mcnair had a good debut but its only a small step of a long journey. Give the kid some space to grow

Reactions: golden_blunder

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Really?

He's stronger and quicker than McNair and for me much better equi[pped to deal with Lukaku. In any case if Martinez persists with Lukaku on the right Mcnair wouldn't have to deal with him.

Besides Blackett and McNair are not in competition with each other. LVG is not going to play both Blackett and Rojo.

Loublaze

ATLien
Did you see Young or Fletcher in preseason?
The difference here is we're talking about a young player breaking through. He put Jones, Smalling and especially Evans to shame in preseason with his assured displays. He's now ahead of Michael Keane in the pecking order, a player who was widely tipped to be the next youth defender to break into the first team.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Jones anywhere near a return?

On topic - Very good debut, though I feel if West Ham were smarter, they'd have exploited their advantage much better.

They almost played into our hands, IMO.

I'd give the lad another chance (failing Jones being fit) as a reward.

JohnnyLaw

And let the hype begins. The same hype which linked Jones with Duncan Edwards, made Wallwork the new Steve Bruce and placed Smalling and Evans as imminent successors for Rio and Vidic.

Mcnair had a good debut but its only a small step of a long journey. Give the kid some space to grow
This. Some ridiculous reactions from his performance against West Ham.

Loublaze

ATLien

This. Some ridiculous reactions from his performance against West Ham.
This is how we build up some players and set them up for a fall. McNair doesn't need over the top praise/press for a competent debut game....look what that did to players like Richardson, Cleverley, the 'next Roy Keane' Daron Gibson etc

Getsme

The difference here is we're talking about a young player breaking through. He put Jones, Smalling and especially Evans to shame in preseason with his assured displays. He's now ahead of Michael Keane in the pecking order, a player who was widely tipped to be the next youth defender to break into the first team.
We've had plenty of young players breakthrough in pre-season, yet most end up going out on loan or being sold. Do you think Blackett would be starting ahead of Smalling, Jones or Evans if they were fit? Blackett like McNair are only playing due to injuries.
Blacketts confidence is going to be low, he was shocking against Leicester and couldn’t handle the aggressiveness or speed shown by Leicesters attacking players, it will be the same against Everton, why put him through that again so soon? McNair is going to be high on confidence therefore he is the more logical option, however I’m hoping Jones, Evans or Smalling are back, but that’s looking unlikely

As soon as we have all our CBs back both Blackett and McNair should be sent back to the reserves and gradually introduced to the team, both are far from ready for a regualr place in the team.

devilish

This is how we build up some players and set them up for a fall. McNair doesn't need over the top praise/press for a competent debut game....look what that did to players like Richardson, Cleverley, the 'next Roy Keane' Daron Gibson etc
Hyping players is one of the main reasons why Britain is failing to produce quality players. Allowing kids to grow in a protected environment without making them think that they have actually made it, is the secret of success. No wonder the best CM in England's history has been constantly placed in doubt since he was 13 years of age.

devilish

We've had plenty of young players breakthrough in pre-season, yet most end up going out on loan or being sold. Do you think Blackett would be starting ahead of Smalling, Jones or Evans if they were fit? Blackett like McNair are only playing due to injuries.
Blacketts confidence is going to be low, he was shocking against Leicester and couldn’t handle the aggressiveness or speed shown by Leicesters attacking players, it will be the same against Everton, why put him through that again so soon? McNair is going to be high on confidence therefore he is the more logical option, however I’m hoping Jones, Evans or Smalling are back, but that’s looking unlikely

As soon as we have all our CBs back both Blackett and McNair should be sent back to the reserves and gradually introduced to the team, both are far from ready for a regualr place in the team.
If they keep on doing a good job then why bench them? Its not as if we have a Vidic, a Rio and a Stam in their prime waiting to take their place.

There's a difference between sticking to a young player and hyping him beyond measure. As long as Mcnair and Blackett can produce the goods and they dont show signs of complacency then they shouldn't be benched. Let the others fight for a first team place.

Loublaze

ATLien

Those three players are totally unreliable and I would be elated if McNair and Blackett actually take their chances and exceed everyone's expectations. Blackett's confidence won't be low, he doesn't seem to be a kid with a weak mentality. If anything he'll be spending extra time in training to improve. There was an article about his work ethic and his humble background, I think you'll find it an interesting and very encouraging read.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...pe-Manchester-United.html?ito=social-facebook

I don't think they are far from ready, especially Blackett who has now got five games under his belt. I only see room for improvement. With the record of those unreliable CBs we might see a lot of Blackett, McNair and maybe even Keane when he comes back from loan in January, this season.

khoazany

Nope.Either send them on loan or keep them with the first team.People treating as if we have 40+ Reserves games every season.They're both not have much left to show in the U21s, as per the case for a lot of other players.

SirFergie

Evans should be sold at the earliest opportunity IMO. It's been proved time and again he cannot be relied upon to stay fit over the course of a season. How many centre-backs do we need before one stays fit. Get rid and get someone else in, someone who can stay fit.

Getsme

If they keep on doing a good job then why bench them? Its not as if we have a Vidic, a Rio and a Stam in their prime waiting to take their place.

There's a difference between sticking to a young player and hyping him beyond measure. As long as Mcnair and Blackett can produce the goods and they dont show signs of complacency then they shouldn't be benched. Let the others fight for a first team place.
Blackett has shown how putting too much pressure on such young shoulders can do more harm than good. For me the Leicester game was one step to far, the same will happen to McNair if we let it. Blacketts confidence must have hit rock bottom, he’s went from hero to zero for some fans when in truth he hasn’t actually been that great for us.

I can’t think of a time when the our defence has been as scrutinised as it is at the moment, every aspect of our defensive game is going under the microscope, that’s a hell of an ask for any seasoned professional let alone a player who has virtually no first team games under his belt. I’d much rather stick with experience and slowly introduce them to the team, for me Evans, Jones and Smalling are massively underrated in here. Obviously if all our four experienced CBs are playing shit or injured then we will have no choice but to rely on youth, but it’s not a place we want to be IMO

Getsme

Evans should be sold at the earliest opportunity IMO. It's been proved time and again he cannot be relied upon to stay fit over the course of a season. How many centre-backs do we need before one stays fit. Get rid and get someone else in, someone who can stay fit.
Then sell Jones and Smalling as well. I agree that something has to change but you can't single out one player when all three are victums of the same curse.
Out of those three I would keep Jones, the only reason being he has more time on his side. However, on his day Evans is the best of the three IMO.

Loublaze

ATLien
I agree. 7 consecutive games in 2 years is a terrible return! Sell that chap sharpish and lets focus on other reliable players.