5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Loublaze

ATLien
LvG already said he doesn't like two left footed CB's together so I take it McNair will start.
I really don't think it matters. Blackett is above McNair in the pecking order. We play Everton next, a whole different threat. Rojo can play on the right and Blackett on the left for his distribution.

bdecuc

How was he for the reserves? He just came out of nowhere and put up a solid display for us. I hope we can see more of him.
He's been doing well. He's been solid and consistent as far as I've seen. Seems to have a decent all-round game. Has played well alongside Thorpe. Could've picked either to start imo.

coolredwine

lameredboots

Sad Chris

Solid debut. Only negative thing I'd point out was that he sent a couple of hoofs or very badly timed long passes into nowhere.
Maybe still part of the U21 game!?!
Otherwise very solid backup with potential.

Loublaze

ATLien
I agree that it shouldn't matter but for LvG it matters.
Its strange...naturally left footed players are rare anyway...Rio and Vidic were both right footed...never hampered whoever played LCB.

LR7

From May:

feck yeah! Paddy McNair hipsters.
Well, I'm going to join in on the McNair hipsterism - also from May:

I wasn't just basing my opinion on last nights game, more in general. Keane has a bit of Evans about him imo. Good playing out from the back and bringing the ball forward. McNair has been brilliant alongside Charni at CB this season, I don't know if it'll end up being his long term position though. The fact that we had the best defensive record in the league (I think?) with a CM and an AM playing at CB though is testament to how well they've done. Having Pearson in front of them helps too.
:D

I'm not going to pretend I would have predicted that he'd be starting in the PL this season though. I'm very impressed. He must be buzzing, even he couldn't have expected this.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I hate to say it but that was the best debut by a United homegrown defender I've seen since Wes Brown came on against Leeds.

The truly impressive thing was that appeared to be mentally ready for it. Huge crowd, Shaw making his debut, Rojo making his positional debut and the whole team tense as hell. He was obviously tiring towards the end but his concentration remained intact and that late clearance was magnificent.

Obviously he's got some growing up to do and there will be a fair few mistakes and misjudgements along the way, but that was a really good start.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I really don't think it matters. Blackett is above McNair in the pecking order. We play Everton next, a whole different threat. Rojo can play on the right and Blackett on the left for his distribution.
Smalling could be back. Maybe even Jones.
Might be the last we see of McNair for a while for all we know. But there certainly seems a future for him here.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yeah he did well. Thought he looked weak when he was 1 on 1 against an opposition player. He looked panicky. His distribution was also erratic but if anything still better than the Rio casual hoofathon, or whatever it is Smalling does. Other than that, was an admirable effort.

The key thing is he looked composed and wasn't afraid to take responsibility on. We've played other young players this season who looked either incapable of or too afraid to try and do anything. He was allways putting himself where the team needed him to be, with or without the ball, which sounds simple but actually takes some balls when making your unexpected debut in front of 75,000 people, for Manchester United.

It wasn't just the header either. There were a few times in the second half where other players were caught out and his positioning bailed us out.

I wouldn't get carried away at all as you can't judge a player on one game, against West Ham, but he certainly didn't do himself any harm.

Warriner

I think he looked very nervous early on, and whenever he was in possession of the ball.. Looked as if he didn't know what to do with it. But his defensive display against a very physical side, on his debut, was very, very good. And I'm sure that holding out against all that pressure and that wonderful defensive header will do his confidence wonders.

Natener

Only moment he had me worried was when he got outpaced by E.Valencia at one point but that in itself is no shame. Needs to check those runs he kept making at times though. Maybe he's just trying too hard to impress, which he doesn't need to. With Blind/Herrera/Di Maria in front of him, he can keep it simple and pass it out. Stay calm and stay to defending. Do that and I can't ask any more of him. That was an impressive defensive display for a debut as it is.

Welbeckham

He defended properly and stayed on for 90 minutes, not an easy task for our other central defenders. Doesn't seem like a huge talent, but did his job and didn't look out of place.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I was surprised that he was picked ahead of Thorpe but it looks like Van Gaal knew what he was doing. He can be proud of his debut - defended with maturity beyond his years. His distribution was a little unimaginative but he did his main job well.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The way he drove out of defence -it is like he was an old school sweeper (passing accuracy a little wayward.. but put that down to nerves). I like LVG's mentality when it comes to young players. He quickly puts them under pressure and is curious to see if they have the qualities to make it here - if they are worth persisting with they will show something.. if not get rid. Endless loan culture is so annoying and just fills up the reserve ranks with rubbish. That said, if we didn't have such an injury crisis.. I doubt we'd see it happen to this degree, but the fact he chooses to trust youngsters rather than play experienced players out of position is refreshing.

Mani

Impressive debut,it all look so natural to him.The instinct to block off the ball.had got great future ahead of him.

buckooo1978

Lukaku gave Vidic a terrible time at Old Trafford last year so this kid will have some test if he plays

Loublaze

ATLien
Is Blackett back for Everton? Either way him or McNair will struggle with Lukaku because that big lump, just like Everton, always turns it on against us. Will LvG play two left sided CB's though?
Yes, his suspension was only for one game. Out of the two, Blackett is more equipped to deal with the physicality of Lukaku. LVG is not a fan of two left footed CBs apparently. Shouldn't matter in these circumstances....and most teams play with two right footed CBs anyway so whats the difference?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Whoever plays at centre back, him or Blackett, will need help from blind against lukaku. They will target us in this aspect.

LR7

I'd much rather see McNair start again than see Blackett reinstated.
They aren't actually competing for the same spot. McNair is probably more likely to keep his place because Evans, Smalling and Jones are injured.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I thought his peformance was better than any of of Blackett's despite the latter looking more stylish and languid. Purely from a peformance point of view he defended better and in much more testing circumstances.

marlowe78

As good as McNair was I would play Blackett and Rojo next week. Lukaku has always been a nightmare for us and it would be too much ATM to throw him into that kind of game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What's the prognosis on Smalling? McNair did okay yesterday but will be sexually abused by Lukaku.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
They aren't actually competing for the same spot. McNair is probably more likely to keep his place because Evans, Smalling and Jones are injured.
I was forgetting how much van Gaal likes to have opposite-footed CBs.

I certainly never would have played Blackett on the left if Smalling was available to play there, for example. Seems a bit too rigid of a rule.

In a back three I think it makes sense to have a left footer on the left side, he'll get pulled wide a lot and that will benefit him often.

But I don't recall Blackett benefiting from his left-footedness in his last game, nor Rojo in the his start at CB.

I'm not sure I'm prepared to consider the left-sided CB position as having Rojo and Blackett before everyone else because they are left-footed.

Can anyone comment on how strict van Gaal had been in this preference in the past?

MUFC07

As good as McNair was I would play Blackett and Rojo next week. Lukaku has always been a nightmare for us and it would be too much ATM to throw him into that kind of game.
Isn't Blackett out for three games? Additional two, that is.

LR7

I was forgetting how much van Gaal likes to have opposite-footed CBs.

I certainly never would have played Blackett on the left if Smalling was available to play there, for example. Seems a bit too rigid of a rule.

In a back three I think it makes sense to have a left footer on the left side, he'll get pulled wide a lot and that will benefit him often.

But I don't recall Blackett benefiting from his left-footedness in his last game, nor Rojo in the his start at CB.

I'm not sure I'm prepared to consider the left-sided CB position as having Rojo and Blackett before everyone else because they are left-footed.

Can anyone comment on how strict van Gaal had been in this preference in the past?
From the interview LvG gave he made it seem that if all the left footers are injured he'd rather play one from the reserves than play two right footers. Probably means we won't see much of Smalling/Jones/Evans playing together even when all fit.

khoazany

From the interview LvG gave he made it seem that if all the left footers are injured he'd rather play one from the reserves than play two right footers. Probably means we won't see much of Smalling/Jones/Evans playing together even when all fit.
We don't have any left-foot CB in the Reserves so he'll be forced to play two right footers if that's the case unless he want to use CBJ from the U18s...

JohnnyLaw

I thought he did well all things considered and that headed clearence was magnificent but he should be nowhere near starting for us once Smalling, Jones or even Evans become fit. The only reason he should perhaps start next game is if LVG doesn't fancy two left-footed CBs. Not saying he's not talented but he's got a long way to go.