View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

sajeev

He's a much better passer than either of them which given our style of play counts for a lot. Atrocious marking from corners today though.
either of whom? you have to have some kind of bias to claim he is a better passer than Rafael

Jev

Absolute nonsense. He's played nice, tidy passes into the feet of van Persie, Rooney and Fellaini rather than doing Valencia's usual thing of recycling the ball backwards to Blind or Herrera.
Yeah, that's true, he did make some decent passes into the middle. He also made some not so decent passes to the opposition. I'm surprised you'd commend his passing, it's average at best.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I don't understand Van Gaal's thinking here: he promotes Valencia ahead of an established RB for the majority of the season and fosters some improvement in the player, only then to exclude him in favour of a centre-back who has done a passable job against Football League opposition. If this is Louis' idea of rotation, it's falling short of the mark.

Last edited:

Joemo

whistling in the wind
He's a much better passer than either of them which given our style of play counts for a lot. Atrocious marking from corners today though.
He's a far better passer than Valencia, but that's a given since Valencia is shite at passing. I wouldn't say he's a better passer than Rafael, and he's a much worse dribbler meaning that when Herrera doesn't move out wide he finds himself totally isolated, and not able to dribble his way out either.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
either of whom? you have to have some kind of bias to claim he is a better passer than Rafael
I think Rafael's clearly the better right back and I'm not convinced McNair's good enough for us but I don't think Rafael's a better passer than him at all.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Shouldn't be using hard away games for these experiments with young, unproven players. Valencia needs to come on. Solid defensively, and he'll offer a bit of pace going forward.

sajeev

I think Rafael's clearly the better right back and I'm not convinced McNair's good enough for us but I don't think Rafael's a better passer than him at all.
McNair can pull off the good pass often enough, but on a consistent basis in terms of passing and moving it isn't what you would expect from a right-back

Tyrion

I think he's better as a CB.

Still, it winds me up that if he plays badly, he's quickly dropped while RVP seems to get an infinite amount of chances to 'play his way out of form' or something.

Edit: That might have been a little off topic but I needed to complain somewhere. :mad:

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Didn't see the game but was it necessary to take this guy off at half time? Looking at the subs we eventually did (taking off both fullbacks and Di Maria) could we have given the kid another chance and utilise the option to make a change better by bringing on one of Wilson or Falcao?(i know he hasn't shown it but we know he has a performance in him going by his reputation)

Roboc7

Stupid decision by the manager to start him, looked completely out of his depth and shouldn't be anywhere near the team unless there aren't other options.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Didn't see the game but was it necessary to take this guy off at half time?
Yes, he was pretty disastrous in the first half, and he shouldn't have started in such a hard away game. We played with no wingers and we really needed pace from outwide, and we didn't have that. Some passes which were played to him into space he couldn't get to quick enough and rolled out for throw ins. He had a couple of runs down the right which just rolled out for goal kicks. I've liked what I've seen of him at centre back, but I don't see him as a right back.

Raw

Bit odd to start sticking the 19 year old CB who played well in 2 games at RB (Liverpool U21s and Cambridge at home). Especially when we have Rafael available!

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It wouldn't be LVG if he didn't have atleast one player in the lineup playing out of position.

Acole9

Outstanding
Hauled off again early in a match. I've not seen the game yet but was he really as bad as Tony Cottee described? He said he was really struggling at right back and doesn't look comfortable in that position compared to when he plays as a centre half.

Hitchcocker

Doesn't have what it takes to beat his man, good at distributing the ball and is apt in his positioning which makes him a better centre back than right back. Even still, not good enough yet to be first choice. Should be third or forth in the pecking order.

Jev

Hauled off again early in a match. I've not seen the game yet but was he really as bad as Tony Cottee described? He said he was really struggling at right back and doesn't look comfortable in that position compared to when he plays as a centre half.
He was really bad, yeah. He's just not a very good player.

His new contract also proved that the club don't have that much faith in him. If we really believed in him, he would have gotten a longer contract.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
LvG: *Adopts new formation so people can play in their best position

*Plays half the team out of position anyway

Sam

I can't actually believe LVG started him in a PL away game, at right back, because of one good performance there against Cambridge City

How can he justify that decision in any way?

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
When Fergie was playing Jones and Smalling there, it tended to be either a moderate hit or a moderate miss. I don't see enough upside to justify trying it again in anything more than an emergency

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He wasn't awful awful, but he lacks pace and doesn't want to dribble with the ball enough to be a modern fullback. There was a point where he had loads of space to run into, instead he just turned back and passed inside. That's worse than Valencia!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I can't actually believe LVG started him in a PL away game, at right back, because of one good performance there against Cambridge City

That's what I thought. His inclusion should be saved for playing games like Hull or QPR at home. It was a tough away game in an important stage of the season. Valencia was fit, and Rafael is seemingly fit too, but not being included in the squad. It was an odd selection, and one that I don't think should have happened.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Possibly because he worked hard in training and showed Van Gaal what he was looking for. We only have access to players for 90 minutes, whereas LvG observes them every day.

ZDwyr

I have no idea. Was confused when I saw the team selection. No idea why he was picked, especially in an away game against a decent team. Stupid decision.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I was partially watching with the TV in the background... He's no RB that's for sure. He reminds me a lot of Chambers there. Very clunky and easy to bypass. Both are good enough on the ball and with space will find an apt pass, but pacey wingers seem to get the better too easily.

Sid234

Did Evans and McCullough play at cb? How has McCullough been? I remember watching him play for our youth teams.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Evans was probably the best player for Norn till he was subbed. Not saying much but it was a half decent performance.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Absolutely terrific performance from McNair so far, I thought. Particularly given it's his first game in two months. He's got a good shout for being our best (and certainly most composed) CB on the ball.