Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It was a great cross which didn't allow him anytime to try judge the cross. Not a single one of our defenders was anywhere near marking a man, he is just the unlucky to be the one closest to Pelle so he gets all the blame.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
It was a great cross which didn't allow him anytime to try judge the cross. Not a single one of our defenders was anywhere near marking a man, he is just the unlucky to be the one closest to Pelle so he gets all the blame.
You make it sound like Pelle just came from nowhere to get the header. McNair was next to him and left him drift away from him. It was poor from him.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
You make it sound like Pelle just came from nowhere to get the header. McNair was next to him and left him drift away from him. It was poor from him.
No I'm not. He also wasn't next to him, he was always a few feet away. Pelle was standing in the middle of McNair, Smalling and Schweinsteiger before the cross came in. Probably closest to Schweinsteiger actually with McNair actually being the farthest away as the ball was about to be played. What I'm actually saying is there was also two Southampton players deeper in the box who neither Valencia or Smalling decided to mark, a runner in who neither Rooney or Schneiderlin decided to mark either. Sure, it was poor but using it as a stick to beat him with as not being good enough is ridiculous when at the exact same time we had 5 other players in the box making no attempt at marking a man either. If the ball went to any of those 3 Southampton players to tap in would our other defenders not be good enough? Smalling was standing right there too, where is his criticism? He also decided to completely disregard runners on the first goal but oh no Smalling can't be criticized he does everything by himself.

Devil may care

He was too far from his man. You should at least be interrupting the attacker. Can't be allowing them to get a free header.

Was a weird sub. Putting Blind up against Mane, who had been going past players all game and is a lot quicker, was simply a bad move. At the same time you're splitting up the CB partnership. Two games in a row LvG has done that now and both games we've conceded after doing so.
Looking at it again I think you're right, his awareness was poor but he had just come on.

The only reason I can think for the substitution is that Rojo was out of steam as he's not played much football recently.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
No I'm not. He also wasn't next to him, he was always a few feet away. Pelle was standing in the middle of McNair, Smalling and Schweinsteiger before the cross came in. Probably closest to Schweinsteiger actually with McNair actually being the farthest away as the ball was about to be played. What I'm actually saying is there was also two Southampton players deeper in the box who neither Valencia or Smalling decided to mark, a runner in who neither Rooney or Schneiderlin decided to mark either. Sure, it was poor but using it as a stick to beat him with as not being good enough is ridiculous when at the exact same time we had 5 other players in the box making no attempt at marking a man either. If the ball went to any of those 3 Southampton players to tap in would our other defenders not be good enough? Smalling was standing right there too, where is his criticism? He also decided to completely disregard runners on the first goal but oh no Smalling can't be criticized he does everything by himself.
Okay, he wasn't next to him but he's clearly the one that's supposed to be keeping an eye on Pelle. I don't know why you're bringing up hypothetical situations either, if any of them did happen then those players would obviously get criticism but they didn't happen.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
A hard game to get accustomed to quickly. I really don't like to see changes made to the back four unless it is due to injury, or perhaps if someone is on the cusp of getting sent off. It really does cause a lot of disorganisation and it showed. Surely McNair could have slotted in at left back and just kept things neat and tidy. Ending the game with only 1 out of the back 4 still in the position they started in seems excessive.

A little poor from him for the goal, but it was a strange time to bring on a defender, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt a little. He looks very talented, especially on the ball. I'd like to see more of him if Blind is going to play at left back, which I would be fine with. I do like Rojo but I think Blind has more about him at both CB and LB.

Smalling and McNair could be a good pair. McNair is seriously composed for a lad of his age and experience.

Bojan11

For feck sakes if true as Ipswich was the perfect game to start him. Frustrating.

Reds-of-Ulster

Small point, but why is the Union Flag used for McNair and not an Ulster Banner or something. I know it isn't an official flag, but it is the one the IFA use.

prateik

Ruptured liver.. that sounds bad. Had no idea he was injured

Sb_16

Scary reading about the ruptured liver. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Devil may care

Since when was a ruptured liver considered "minor?" and how the hell did that happen to him?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I didnt see the game but saw some comments in the matchday thread at the time, he spent several minutes getting treatment early in the game and was expected to get taken off and there was some surprise when he continued

so Im assuming he did it early on but they didnt realise what it was and let him play on even until after half time

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I prefer him as a centre back to Rojo. I genuinely think he has the potential to be a similar player and play at a similar level to Stones.

m1y2

I prefer him as a centre back to Rojo. I genuinely think he has the potential to be a similar player and play at a similar level to Stones.
if he plays he can be our sort of new Jonny Evans, that's how I see him and his potential, good on the ball, making plenty of mistakes but steadily learning from them becoming one of the best in the league in a good form. He's good potential but there are potentially betters like Tuanzebe, Williams, CBJ, TFM so lets see if he gets enough chances and takes them. Stones is different level in my opinion but like all young talented players he just needed games to get better, we have so many good center backs..

the change to 3-5-2 is good encourgement for McNair, hopefully it was an only quick fix though..

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Tough situation for him to come back into but did fine. Good to see him back. Will be needed during this period.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
It's weird that I washould not worried when he came on, smart player and seems to have put on some muscle too.

itso 7

It's weird that I washould not worried when he came on, smart player and seems to have put on some muscle too.
This is the one huge positive we have from having Van Gaal as our gaffer, he seems to know exactly who to promote and when to plus he intentionally backed himself into a corner by gutting the squad of excess fat. This means more chances for those who are talented and want it enough. Five years from now players like McNair, Perreira, Lingard and others he will promote will be his greatest legacy to United.

On McNAIR, it's good to have him back and being thrown into such a tough situation and doing well. I hope he is trusted in the next few games because, with his technical ability, his development will be exciting to watch over the next twenty four months. I certainlt agree with posters that see shades of Jonny Evans and Stones.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's overlooked quite a lot compared to our other excellent youth products but he's actually a good young player (playing well above what he should be for his age) I think he has the potential to be a very good defender, what we all expected Evans to be basically.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I agree. Although Stones has an innate calmness which puts him ahead at the moment.

Djemba-Djemba

Thought he did well.

There was a lovely moment where he had the chance to just hoof it clear but instead he took a touch, steadied himself and advanced with the ball. Encouraging to see.

MAME DIOUF 32

I'd rather he got a shot as Jones's deputy over going back to Blind or using Rojo. He showed against Chelsea last season that he's capable. He'll cost us goals because he's young but Blind and Rojo will do so too due to their limitations.

Also, brave guy for getting back from a nasty injury so quickly. I really hope he makes it here.

Bojan11

Not really sure Leicester away is the best place to start him. I don't think he's been great away from home.

Some of his performances against Everton, Swansea and Southampton last season away from home were awful.

Sam

He was great at right back away at Swansea last season when he was randomly thrown in.

Oh no, wait, he wasn't. Poor kid, being horribly managed.

Roboc7

Not really sure Leicester away is the best place to start him. I don't think he's been great away from home.

Some of his performances against Everton, Swansea and Southampton last season away from home were awful.
We shouldn't have left ourselves in a position where he is even required to start games like this. He should be out on loan in the championship because that is his current level, hopefully he can do a job today though.

Status
Not open for further replies.